Sharing Tables

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Sharing Tables

Post by bobhenstra »

I've mentioned before about this very energetic young sister in my ward. Weekly, she sends an email about what she's doing this week. She amazes me with her self sacrifice and devotion to helping others. She has her own kids, and they adopted two Russian kids for good measure. this week (Saturday) she has "sharing tables" sometimes at her house, sometimes at the chapel. She's wonderful---And a great example of what a good sister can do to serve others.

Her latest email:

Hi all!

Just a reminder that Genola "sharing tables" are going on TODAY from 12-2pm at the Genola church. They are already gathering stuff, so head on over there to donate items and then return at 12 to get what you need. All leftovers will be taken to DI.

I have a personal request for women's clothing in size small. I have three girls to outfit and would really appreciate any clothing they can use so if you have anything you don't need anymore, I'd appreciate a chance at it before you take it to DI.

Thanks so much
Alisa

Bob

leth
captain of 100

Re: Sharing Tables

Post by leth »

That is rad. Our ward does something similar called "Zion's Market" but they only do it once a year. Similar to the sharing tables, all leftovers are donated to the DI. People can come to the market and leave, take, swap whatever they need.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Yeah this is a good idea. It should be done more often. I like this woman's willingness to take the initiative.

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Post by singyourwayhome »

Our ward has something we affectionately call the "Ward Craigslist". The RS presidency has all the email addresses for the sisters. Whenever someone is looking for something- whether a Scout shirt, baby swing, or apartment to rent- or trying to get rid of something, we send one of the presidency an email, with photos if we want. They send it out to everyone.

ApproachingZion
captain of 10

Post by ApproachingZion »

Our ward was asked by the Stake to not have these sorts of activities because DI needs all our donations instead and if Sisters/Families need items, the Bishop and RS President can issue a commodities order and the recipient can drive to DI to get it.

I simply cannot see withholding something that is needed so that...
- we can drive the hour into town to drop it off at DI,
- we can issue an order for someone,
- they then have to drive an hour into town to pick it up
- and the ward pays the (sorry, ever increasing) DI prices

Is that crazy, or is it just me who thinks it is!? :)

Needless to say, we are still doing our exchanges & needs shares. Thanks for the good ideas!