Breastfeeding Brohahah

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
Shebby
captain of 10

Breastfeeding Brohahah

Post by Shebby »

Anyone have any facts to the breastfeeding brohahah going on in the bloggernacle right now?

skmo
captain of 1,000

Re: Breastfeeding Brohahah

Post by skmo »

Huh?

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Nope. What sites?

gilgal
captain of 10

Post by gilgal »

I'm sure it stems from this story that was run as 'news' on the local fox affiliate. http://fox13now.com/2013/02/24/breast-f ... ntroversy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SAM
captain of 100

Post by SAM »

I don't know many facts, just want I've read on the Internet, like probably the rest of us here, but I sure hope there is more to the story. Someone losing their temple recommend over breastfeeding uncovered at church is completely and ridiculously wrong.

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Post by singyourwayhome »

Sounds like a mountain out of a molehill. It says she MIGHT lose her recommend. Anybody could make that claim about anything. Not much information in the article from the woman herself, mostly just reactions from other people, who most likely also don't know the whole story. One of the things they're hollering about is the right of a woman to breastfeed in church covered OR NOT. That might be at the root of the problem.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Shebby wrote:Anyone have any facts to the breastfeeding brohahah going on in the bloggernacle right now?
Could you provide the link?

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

singyourwayhome wrote:One of the things they're hollering about is the right of a woman to breastfeed in church covered OR NOT.
Um, isnt that what the 'mothers room' is for?

JADEH
Hi, I'm new.

Post by JADEH »

I'm am Best Friends with this Woman. She was talking to a friend and I about a situation, the other friend embellished it a little and posted it on a blog, another website picked it up and embellished it, and then the news picked it up and embellished it A LOT! She's called the News Station and asked them remove it, but they won't unless she gives them her name and an interview, (which in her and my opinion would be even worse). If any of you would be so kind as to help pass along that this story is not true, she would be very grateful!

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

I will note that in the 19th Century women breatfed their kids in public (in the LDS culture) all the time.

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Post by singyourwayhome »

JADEH wrote:I'm am Best Friends with this Woman. She was talking to a friend and I about a situation, the other friend embellished it a little and posted it on a blog, another website picked it up and embellished it, and then the news picked it up and embellished it A LOT! She's called the News Station and asked them remove it, but they won't unless she gives them her name and an interview, (which in her and my opinion would be even worse). If any of you would be so kind as to help pass along that this story is not true, she would be very grateful!

Yes. Thank you.

Shebby
captain of 10

Post by Shebby »

Sorry to reply to all this way but I am brand new to this forum and have not had time to study out how to reply to individual posts.

What I find frustrating is this claim is being used as the latest murmur flashpoint project originating from within the Fem Mo ranks. Best as I can put together, the particular blog headline "Call to Action: Lose Your Temple Recommend For Feeding Baby?" http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org ... ding-baby/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is being assumed as accurate by an uncertain number of people, yet, I am not able to pin down anything but hear-say from reading the blog. In the mean time, the rumor mill is pumping out more and more bad vibes without providing the facts on this particular story that I have been able to find thus far. The echos of soured claims of bad breastfeeding experiences started pouring in from the "me too" gallery, with a handy-dandy activist marketing campaign accompanied by a public demand reported in the SLT for breastfeeding rights being made at the Church. http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/5592 ... s.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the "ABOUT" section of the "Latter Day Lactivists" FB page,
"About
This group is for the discussion and advocacy of the rights of LDS women to breastfeed their children in their ward houses.
Description
We represent the rights of LDS women to breastfeed their children in their ward houses. We stand for the rights of mothers to feed their babies where, when, why, and how they may.

We maintain a nursing-normative and supportive atmosphere.

We maintain that it is neither immodest nor immoral for a woman to breastfeed her child as openly as she pleases.

We maintain that mothers have the right to be safe from discipline, discrimination, and persecution for nursing in public."
https://www.facebook.com/LatterDayLactivism?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@skmo- Yes, I had the same reaction when I first saw the headline.

@A Random Phrase & @DrJones: For starters-
http://latterdaylactivism.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/ldswave?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/FeministMormon ... es?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@gilgal: Thx for the link

@chicafoom: Imo, the idea that people would accept this alleged claim without any facts is as ridiculous as the alleged claim being made against the Church that we have such a ridiculous policy.

@singyourwayhome & @uglypitbull : Agree

@JADEH: Wow, what are the chances of encountering you in this thread? Thanks for speaking up. I am grateful for your response and suspected foul play. I will at least assert as I can with your reply, just to offer as the needed benefit of doubt. However, I am going to get the very same response I have been replying with, if there are no facts with your statement, it will be discredited by those with a big mic who will call it hear-say. ANY facts you can provide would wise. A formal statement from yourself or ideally, from your friend, even if she stays anonymous, will make a difference. I would also suggest you or she post directly to these blogs and assert the truth, especially if your friend is being exploited.

Shebby
captain of 10

Post by Shebby »

I forgot to mention that I have already engaged on this issue either directly or in the "Posts by Others" sections on the following pages:

https://www.facebook.com/LatterDayLactivism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/FeministMormon ... hare_reply" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/WearPantsToChurchDay?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shebby
captain of 10

Post by Shebby »

JADEH wrote:I'm am Best Friends with this Woman. She was talking to a friend and I about a situation, the other friend embellished it a little and posted it on a blog, another website picked it up and embellished it, and then the news picked it up and embellished it A LOT! She's called the News Station and asked them remove it, but they won't unless she gives them her name and an interview, (which in her and my opinion would be even worse). If any of you would be so kind as to help pass along that this story is not true, she would be very grateful!

Not sure how this particular reply option works....but oh well, I will learn either by my success or mistakes.

@JADEH: You would be interested in this recent reply to my inquiry for facts from a poster on the Feminst Mormon Housewives FB page https://www.facebook.com/FeministMormon ... es?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "Leah- The woman whose story was the push for this has asked that we not use her story any more because of the stress it was causing with her bishop and in her life. If you go to the blog and read through the comments (even some comments here, I think) you can see that this is not an isolated incident. My experience breastfeeding at church was always a good one, but for many women, that is not the case. In the initial story, the woman was being discrete- no one actually saw anything, they were just uncomfortable with the *idea* of nursing without a cover."

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

JADEH, thanks for the input.

This drama can slide by without my interference.
Last edited by A Random Phrase on April 2nd, 2013, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

MsEva
captain of 100

Post by MsEva »

Thank you for sharing, it is really to bad that people will embellish something and then it gets out-of-hand like this.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Clearly sounds like media trying to manufacture controversy in order to garner ratings. Fairly typical. Truth means nothing to media people trying to make a buck.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

Some people will believe just about anything.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Jadeh, can you give us any details of what actually happened? That would help, I would imagine, in getting things to simmer down. Obviously something happened. Without knowing what, people will tend to keep gossiping.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Called to Serve wrote:Jadeh, can you give us any details of what actually happened? That would help, I would imagine, in getting things to simmer down. Obviously something happened. Without knowing what, people will tend to keep gossiping.
I would suspect that someone was uncomfortable with her breastfeeding and told her so. It could easily have gone on from there, especially if it was a bishopric member who was uncomfortable with it. The truth, I suspect, would be a huge let-down from the hype.

Shebby
captain of 10

Post by Shebby »

A Random Phrase wrote:
Called to Serve wrote:Jadeh, can you give us any details of what actually happened? That would help, I would imagine, in getting things to simmer down. Obviously something happened. Without knowing what, people will tend to keep gossiping.
I would suspect that someone was uncomfortable with her breastfeeding and told her so. It could easily have gone on from there, especially if it was a bishopric member who was uncomfortable with it. The truth, I suspect, would be a huge let-down from the hype.

That's just it, this is based off of hear-say, being used as a flash-point in order to create additional activism against the Church.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

You know, you are right. And because of that, I doubt that even telling the truth now would make a difference. People are usually reluctant to give up their pet ideas. They would still continue to find ways to make something out of the story.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

I think you are right CtS.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

It's unfortunate, but Truth has no place in media today. Edward R. Murrow must be turning over in his grave.

Wildfire
captain of 10
Location: Moving after World General Conference, going back to Eastern Oregon where I grew up.

Post by Wildfire »

uglypitbull wrote:
singyourwayhome wrote:One of the things they're hollering about is the right of a woman to breastfeed in church covered OR NOT.
Um, isnt that what the 'mothers room' is for?
I am 69 this month, breastfeed all 3 of my daughters, when out at a restuarant when baby awoke, the women of my age, ALWAYS carried a receiving blanket, for the purpose of the unexpected feeding. We were FULLY COVERED, and made sure we were, out of respect for ourselves and our husbands and other family members. I agree when at church, use the MOTHERS ROOM. Seems that so many now do NOT respect others feelings, it seems to now be, I will do what I want and do not care about others feelings. Just goes to RESPECT OF SELF AND OTHERS in my humble opinion.