Autism Spectrum

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Autism Spectrum

Post by JohnnyL »

Called to Serve wrote: Unfortunately, in the real world, labels do a lot of good.

My older brother was treated so terribly by others growing up: friends, other peers, teachers, ward members, etc. Just about everybody seemed to see him as some kind of broken person who just needed a firm hand to be "fixed." It breaks my heart to think of some of the cruelty he endured, especially from teachers and other adults. You can understand the kids, but the adults' behavior was just simply awful. (For example, one teacher used to send him outside to sit in the cold during winter without his jacket to punish him for his "bad" behavior.)

On the other hand, everyone treated my younger brother with a double portion of sweetness and kindness because he obviously had some problems. There was no question that he had problems and so people would treat him like they treat little children, with lots of understanding and gentleness. Everyone was more than willing to excuse the problems they had to deal with because of my little brother's disruptive behaviors. The ward bent over backwards to help my parents out in church and other situations.

So while I believe the need for us to have labels is not a good thing, in this world, it's so much better to be putting labels on people who are just a little different than others because then people seem to make the effort to understand. I hope some day we'll stop needing these labels and just look objectively at each person and determine what they need. As you said, Ashley, before your son was diagnosed, you were already inspired to take certain measures. That's the way it should be.
I so agree! Labels are two-edged things--sometimes very helpful, sometimes limiting.

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

Yeah, that is exactly the reason my husband and I refused to sign anything labeling our son with Autism. Its nice to have some kind of starting point but we didn't want him being held back by a label. All the stuff on the spectrum are really just symptoms to other problems and they choose to just stick a label on them to excuse themselves from doing anything about it. Most of which can be cured with the right tools. :) Detox, diet, behavioral and speech therapy. The thing that has made the biggest difference with my son so far is the speech therapy. I kept telling him that is what I though his main problem was. But they really only gave him the speech therapy in order to make me happy. Sigh...

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

AshleyB wrote:Yeah, that is exactly the reason my husband and I refused to sign anything labeling our son with Autism. Its nice to have some kind of starting point but we didn't want him being held back by a label. All the stuff on the spectrum are really just symptoms to other problems and they choose to just stick a label on them to excuse themselves from doing anything about it. Most of which can be cured with the right tools. :) Detox, diet, behavioral and speech therapy. The thing that has made the biggest difference with my son so far is the speech therapy. I kept telling him that is what I though his main problem was. But they really only gave him the speech therapy in order to make me happy. Sigh...
Ashley, you are an awesome mom. And keep being the "squeky wheel" to "make you happy" if it helps your son became the man he is supposed to be in God's eyes. We must fight for our children as we have been given a sacred stewardship over them.

Penstress
captain of 100

Post by Penstress »

My ex husband has aspergers. It's why I left him. I didn't know initially, it was a very empty life. It's a very hard thing in any relationship. I beleive the vaccinations cause it.

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

Penstress wrote:My ex husband has aspergers. It's why I left him. I didn't know initially, it was a very empty life. It's a very hard thing in any relationship. I beleive the vaccinations cause it.
Being someone with Aspergers Syndrome, I will argue, as I did to my then-girlfriend, that there's more than just 100 percent genetics involved, there's likely nurture factors as well.

I also learned as someone on the autistic spectrum, that it helps to find activities that I can do with other people (group activities), as well as premeditate what I would do in given situations.

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

Etosha wrote:"most of my current friends do not believe that I am even a little autistic. they seem to think I am making this up."

My best friend growing up told me she was autistic and did not talk until age 4. She was a perfectly normal teen (I met her in high school) and is a perfectly normal adult. I know alot of people who have seem to make dramatic improvements by an all natural diet - no processed foods and raw dairy or no dairy.
Certainly was the case for me, but there was a lot of tough learning and adaptation behind why I can pass off as a fairly "usual" adult nowadays. Anyways, I would call plenty of that adaptation a blessing for what it was worth.

Shophar
captain of 10

Post by Shophar »

On the cover of Forbes magazine sometime in 2001 or 2002 they featured a story about how many of the top CEO's of fortune 500 company's admitted to being diagnosed with ADD/ADHD as a child. Apparently 30% of all CEO'S reported having it. That is 1 in 3! And that's just the ones who admitted to it. Some probably kept quiet, because of the taboo. Since then I've seen evidence that aspergers and autism show similar promise's.
I myself have adult ADD and my son has aspergers and ADD. Parenting this son is 10 times harder than parenting my other son or daughter's. But the rewards are huge and eternally infinite! I used animal therapy and was able to help my son look at his disability as a divine strength. Things don't always work out and we have our ups and downs. I still tell him he can shoot for the stars in life, so long as he aims all the energy and imagination in the right direction. Sometimes kids need a crazy big imagination and almost immortal levels of energy to fulfill their future mission here on earth. Is it any wonder that Gods trying to keep up with the times ( :

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Shophar wrote:On the cover of Forbes magazine sometime in 2001 or 2002 they featured a story about how many of the top CEO's of fortune 500 company's admitted to being diagnosed with ADD/ADHD as a child. Apparently 30% of all CEO'S reported having it. That is 1 in 3! And that's just the ones who admitted to it. Some probably kept quiet, because of the taboo. Since then I've seen evidence that aspergers and autism show similar promise's.
I myself have adult ADD and my son has aspergers and ADD. Parenting this son is 10 times harder than parenting my other son or daughter's. But the rewards are huge and eternally infinite! I used animal therapy and was able to help my son look at his disability as a divine strength. Things don't always work out and we have our ups and downs. I still tell him he can shoot for the stars in life, so long as he aims all the energy and imagination in the right direction. Sometimes kids need a crazy big imagination and almost immortal levels of energy to fulfill their future mission here on earth. Is it any wonder that Gods trying to keep up with the times ( :
Great post! All people are her for a purpose and what we call personality disorders and the like are part of the human condition. People who get labeled ADHD have lots of energy and creativity, Aspergers are able to concentrate and dig into topics that many would find tedious, psychopaths are more leadership oriented and can do a lot of good if they have proper upbringing, even borderlines are associated with standing up for their rights even if it means putting themselves in danger. If one has a child with any of these conditions then I believe love and a commitment to channeling their potential is far better than buying into the drug-'em culture of today's America.

Andrew52
captain of 100

Post by Andrew52 »

AshleyB wrote:Yeah, that is exactly the reason my husband and I refused to sign anything labeling our son with Autism. Its nice to have some kind of starting point but we didn't want him being held back by a label. All the stuff on the spectrum are really just symptoms to other problems and they choose to just stick a label on them to excuse themselves from doing anything about it. Most of which can be cured with the right tools. :) Detox, diet, behavioral and speech therapy. The thing that has made the biggest difference with my son so far is the speech therapy. I kept telling him that is what I though his main problem was. But they really only gave him the speech therapy in order to make me happy. Sigh...
AshleyB, My daughter has a son with autism. I have told the story many times here. He is 7 yrs old, non-verbal and not potty trained.
My daughter will not allow any negative talk around him. She believes he understands and will someday function on a normal basis, therefore she only wants positive encouraging comments in his presense. I love it!

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

Fiannan wrote:
Shophar wrote:On the cover of Forbes magazine sometime in 2001 or 2002 they featured a story about how many of the top CEO's of fortune 500 company's admitted to being diagnosed with ADD/ADHD as a child. Apparently 30% of all CEO'S reported having it. That is 1 in 3! And that's just the ones who admitted to it. Some probably kept quiet, because of the taboo. Since then I've seen evidence that aspergers and autism show similar promise's.
Great post! All people are her for a purpose and what we call personality disorders and the like are part of the human condition. People who get labeled ADHD have lots of energy and creativity, Aspergers are able to concentrate and dig into topics that many would find tedious, psychopaths are more leadership oriented and can do a lot of good if they have proper upbringing, even borderlines are associated with standing up for their rights even if it means putting themselves in danger. If one has a child with any of these conditions then I believe love and a commitment to channeling their potential is far better than buying into the drug-'em culture of today's America.
To some extent, I may agree with you, however, it's important not to let certain things be expectations on kids, different people with autism are exactly that, different individual people. I may be classified as such, but unlike what a great number of people sometimes stereotyped about me, I enjoy sports and working out, some people seem to have the stereotype that Aspergers Disorder means that someone is not athletic or has no sports interest when that's simply not always true. People seem to think that everyone with Asperger's Syndrome must also be overtly focused, which sometimes people can be liable to get wrong, I personally am able to talk about a wide variety of topics with a lot of people, you included, much less converse with you about how you are, and how you are doing. Again, it's important to realize not to generalize some people sometimes, all sorts of people can carry somewhat of a variety of interests, I am not saying that what you said isn't generally true. It's just that it's important not to let stereotypes create a catalogueing of who people are from time to time.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

My advice: ABA is the only therapy proven to work. http://www.amazon.com/Sense-Nonsense-Be ... 0975585924

Ignore the diets, holistic therapies, etc. In my circles we call that "waving a dead chicken over the kid's" head, because it has as much science backing it up as voodoo (I hate to offend, but that's just how it is). What worked for my 2 daughters with autism was an intensive 40 hour/week behavioral program, followed up with a behavioral lifestyle when the therapists aren't around. Some people don't think it works because they don't spend enough time/intensity, or they don't work with skilled providers.

I have seen miracles in the lives of my daughters. They have gone from living nightmares to amazing, well-behaved kids with great social skills. Of course, outcomes will vary, and starting at a younger age will lead to better outcomes, but behavioral therapy really does work in the hands of a skilled BCBA.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I have to disagree. I think there is a great deal of science backing up diets and holistic therapies and other methods not conventionally recognized. The problem is, so-called scientists have closed their eyes to it because it doesn't meet their criteria for being valid.

To me, my experience is the first and foremost evidence to determine whether something has merit or not. "Science" has come up with all sorts of bogus ideas that have been supported by trials and experiments and so forth, but that don't hold up in the real world outside of the sterile environment of the lab. So if the "experts" opinions and ideas don't hold up to my personal experience, I throw it out.

So when you say ABA is proven to work, that's just great. But it's you telling me your daughters have seen positive results that convince me, not some obscure expert. I'm much more willing to listen to someone who has actually had real world results than some scientist whose work is confined by rules and regulations to make it fit the academic community.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Dr. Carley works.

moonwhim
captain of 1,000

Post by moonwhim »

Important new website on reversing autism:
http://www.holisticapproach4autism.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

theBruceGuy
captain of 100
Location: Battling SPECTRE -Sanctimonious People Engaging in Condecending Treament of Remnant Embassadors

Post by theBruceGuy »

Here is an article about a company specializing in Autism. Many of the employees are LDS.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mendab ... 2013-05-29

moonwhim
captain of 1,000

Post by moonwhim »

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

Thanks for posting moonwhim. I probably annoy my fb a lot because of how much I post about monsanto, gmo's, vaccines..etc..

dauser
captain of 100

Post by dauser »

Just heard on Alex Jones: the bee die-off...the bees have autism...the bees injest the GMO and pesticides with the pollen collected and that causes the bee to get autism... the pesticides mess with the insect's mind and the bees cannot communicate effectively with the hive and let the hive know what and where... we are eating the same plants, the same sprays, the same nuerotoxic poisons are attacking our ability to communicate with each other. The blood brain barrier is weaker in boys and the boys get a higher dose of the weapon. More boys than ever are being disabled with these bio-weapons.

It would be interesting if GMO foods and those pesticides are being used by the Jewish Kosher farms in Palestine...in that they own Monsanto and the pesticides. Are the bees dying off in Palestine? I doubt they would poison their own.

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by msfreeh »

Dr Burtt Richardson is from Maine and spends
his winters in Arizona.
He is a pediatrician.

He has done some work with ACES

ACES | ACES Elevating the Standards in the Treatment of Autism.™
http://www.acesaba.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ACES utilizes a comprehensive set of proven therapeutic methodologies that are attributed ... Raising a child with autism can be a difficult and isolating journey.
About ACES | ACES
http://www.acesaba.com/About" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ACES opened its doors to individuals and families impacted with autism and ... ACES has been serving children and families in Orange County since 1997.
ACE - Autism Curriculum Encyclopedia
http://www.acenecc.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The ACE is the premier educational system for learners with autism. ... New England Center for Children, the only non-profit school offering an online curriculum.
Autism Center for Excellence (ACE) - UCP Sacramento
http://www.ucpsacto.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; › Programs & Services
UCP's Autism Center for Excellence (ACE) is a structured after-school socialization training program designed to meet the special needs of children with autism, ...
ACES, Inc | Resources | Autism Speaks
https://www.autismspeaks.org/resource/aces-inc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ACES focuses on improving academic, communication, adaptive, motor and social skills of children of all ages with autism and other developmental disabilities.
ACES - Autism Speaks
https://www.autismspeaks.org/.../autism ... al-service.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Autism Comprehensive Educational Services (ACES) ... adaptive, motor and social skills of children of all ages with autism and other developmental disabilities.
Rising Stars Autism Program | The ACES
austincenters.com/programs/stars
To ensure that therapy techniques are thoroughly integrated into the child's full ... and Education of Autistic and related Communication-Handicapped Children ...
Autism Centers of Excellence (ACE) Program
https://www.nichd.nih.gov/research/supp ... s/ace.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Autism Centers of Excellence (ACE) Program. ... behavior, and communication; Assessment of two types of behavioral treatments for children with ASD who use ...
ACE | Autism Center for Excellence | The Special Child Trust
http://www.ace-india.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Autism Center for Excellence is a new initiative launched by the special child trust to create a program for children on the Autism Spectrum from ages ranging ...
ACES