Question about garments-Ladies only please

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...

Bra under or over?

Under
26%
Over
74%

Total votes: 93
AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Re: Question about garments-Ladies only please

Post by AshleyB »

Yes, It is done by the church...but Id have to talk to my friend to get more details because we didnt go into detail on that one. And your welcome WCITFP. I was glad when she told me this because when nursing I always wore it under and I like it better that way so finding out that its ok to do it that way was exciting for me. :)

ElectLady
captain of 100

Post by ElectLady »

I personally have difficulty wearing my bra on the outside. Not only is it uncomfortable on the outside, but my size bras rely on the elastic having some grip on the skin in order to stay in place. If I wear them on the outside of the garment, the bra slips with every single movement, and drives me crazy. I have always assumed that the guidance to wear the garment next to your skin meant to not wear it as other layers of clothing, not that I couldn't wear a bra under it. I have also taken that to mean to not consider it "underwear," but holy. Underwear considerations could come in to play, as mentioned regarding menstruation. If I had prosthetic considerations I would work around that, and If I can't achieve proper support without wearing the bra on the inside, it (to me) meant the same. Believe me, I have tried every fabric choice and have the proper size top. It just works better this way. And TMI? mostly I just go without a bra at home anyway, so problem solved :ymblushing:. I'm glad to read that it is personal between the Lord and I (as are most all commandments).

July
Hi, I'm new.

Post by July »

This is one of those pharisical traps.
There is nothing wrong with wearing your bra under your garments, AT ALL EVER.
Think back to when you were given the garment in preparation for your endowment. Think of its purpose, its power, and its holiness. Does a bra really stand between you and God? No, it doesn't. If you think a bra keeps you out of heaven then I guess you would say on top, but under no circumstance is that doctrine. Wearing your bra under your TG is fine.

July
Hi, I'm new.

Post by July »

“Church members who have been clothed with the garment in the temple have made a covenant to wear it throughout their lives. This has been interpreted to mean that it is worn as underclothing both day and night. This sacred covenant is between the member and the Lord. Members should seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit to answer for themselves any personal questions about the wearing of the garment. … The promise of protection and blessings is conditioned upon worthiness and faithfulness in keeping the covenant.

“The fundamental principle ought to be to wear the garment and not to find occasions to remove it. Thus, members should not remove either all or part of the garment to work in the yard or to lounge around the home in swimwear or immodest clothing. Nor should they remove it to participate in recreational activities that can reasonably be done with the garment worn properly beneath regular clothing. When the garment must be removed, such as for swimming, it should be restored as soon as possible.

If you noticed this statment is about REMOVING the garment.
You can wear a bra and the garment simultaneously with the bra under without being in any violation of coventants, or compromise of the protection and blessings.

This whole idea of wearing the bra on top is culture teaching you and not doctrine of the actual garment.

Nina
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Nina »

I went through the temple in 2011 and when I met with the temple patron, she told me that I could wear the bra on top or underneath. She also mentioned it being ok to wear other underwear underneath during that time of month.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I was an ordinance worker for many years, just recently released, and the above ^^^^^ statement is correct. However, in the past it was considered "wrong" to wear anything next to the body, underneath the garment, so this idea is still held by many members. Also, ultimately, how you wear your garment is between you and the Lord.

Green Rose
captain of 50

Post by Green Rose »

Thanks so much for doing this poll and creating the thread. I'm in the majority, but was never told anything specific when I was endowed over 20 years ago. I took my cue from my own mother who didn't mind me being in her bedroom when I was a young girl and she was getting dressed. As for the monthly, I never asked anyone, just followed my own thinking on how to handle it. It's good to know we don't need to feel anxious about these things. Does anyone else feel like we women in the Church, this wonderful Church, have way too many hangups about doing everything in the "perfect" or "right" or "true" way? I'm just thinking out loud...Maybe we're worrying/thinking we have to do so many things a certain way when the Lord is not nearly so nit picky...idk

And I wanted to add that in addition to the Diva Cup there is also the sponge, but they won't work well for those with, ahem, stretchy bottoms. Sorry. That's the most polite way I can think to say such a delicate matter. If your pelvic floor muscles have lost their elasticity due to episiotomies or just plain old childbirth, they won't hold in a cup or sponge or tampon. I personally adore cloth pads. Oh. My. Heck. I wish I would have known of them years ago!

MelissaM
captain of 100

Post by MelissaM »

Lizzy60 wrote:I was an ordinance worker for many years, just recently released, and the above ^^^^^ statement is correct. However, in the past it was considered "wrong" to wear anything next to the body, underneath the garment, so this idea is still held by many members. Also, ultimately, how you wear your garment is between you and the Lord.
Agreed.

I wear my bra over, but it's only because I'm large busted and like keeping the elastic away from my skin and keeping the straps with another layer of padding.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

I have read through this thread and thought of 2 questions. First, if the bra was meant to be worn over top of the garments then the design of the garment top itself with the roomy cups makes sense, right? Second question, so if we just wear the bra underneath, then how many have thought to or do wear the mans garment top? Its just a t-shirt and the cotton is exactly just a t-shirt. I ordered myself a mans cotton top to wear at bed time and it is so much more comfortable to wear than a womans top with it never sitting right.

I guess I have another question, for those of you who wear the bra under what top do you use? Does it ride up or bunch or look funny under your outer shirt your wearing?

Green Rose
captain of 50

Post by Green Rose »

Melissa wrote:I have read through this thread and thought of 2 questions. First, if the bra was meant to be worn over top of the garments then the design of the garment top itself with the roomy cups makes sense, right? Second question, so if we just wear the bra underneath, then how many have thought to or do wear the mans garment top? Its just a t-shirt and the cotton is exactly just a t-shirt. I ordered myself a mans cotton top to wear at bed time and it is so much more comfortable to wear than a womans top with it never sitting right.

I guess I have another question, for those of you who wear the bra under what top do you use? Does it ride up or bunch or look funny under your outer shirt your wearing?
I've never thought to purchase a man's top...which neckline do you like? But I wouldn't want the hassle of changing my top just for bed. I personally love the chemise (I bless the day someone was inspired to create those!) style tops for women--no cup lines. Ugh. For women with small bosoms those things were terrible fits. As for fitting, it's nice and close. I don't have bunching to complain of. Some tight-fitting tops/shirts/blouses might create that, but it will depend on the style. I also buy them in the long torso size because I like them tucked into my bottoms, otherwise the tops pop up in the back and that does cause bunching beneath my shirt. But the longer garment top creates a "panty-line," too. :( Pros and cons. Pros and cons.

I've already said I'm an over-the-top woman. I'm not sure my mind could handle doing it any other way now, though I'm sorely tempted to give it a go just to break the way I think about it. But the break I might get is a psychotic one. ;) Oy, these frets over doing things the "right way."

northwestmomma
Hi, I'm new.

Post by northwestmomma »

New to the site here but I was always told over the top but upon asking turns out some gals have been told either way is fine. So months ago I decided Im going to wear my bra under as Im big chested so with the garment there it was causing my bra to move too much making me irritable anyway so but I felt so much better and I dont feel like bad about it at all. As for wearing garment 24/7 Im just totally unsure some say wear night and day so its left up to the user basicly and others say just your whole life so that could mean just keep them on as much as possible. Uggg. Anyways I have sensory issues with too many layers and if Im not comfortable, Im grumpy and miserable. Plus I can never get a true fit. Measure or not. Seems like the ladys in there dont want me to have a tight fit in the leg and crotch lol. I HATE lose garments. I like the stretchy fabric but its wayy too hot in the summer months and even if I bundle I sweat in the winter it does not breathe! Ughh anyways garment probs. :(

desertgal53
Hi, I'm new.

Post by desertgal53 »

I'm going to chime in here, I've been in 'garment heck' for the last 3 weeks. :)
I'm a recent convert (was a year in August) and I'm 60, so no spring chicken here. Went to the Temple the beginning of this month.
Currently I have spent $210.00 on garments and FINALLY have 5 tops that fit and 5 bottoms that kind of fit and 2 other bottoms that fit in a pinch.
I think I have every fabric made and every style made except the maternity and nursing ones, and I may end up trying those before it's over.
I actually have purchased a couple of men's tee shirts to wear at night.
The ones that I was measured for at the Mesa store, the tops were HUGE and the bottoms were TINY. I'm 5'2" and maybe down to 5'1" as I'm shrinking, and they put me in a size tall slip for under my temple dress. ???? Oh well.
I tried my garments on (and yes, my friend was kind of shocked that I did that!) really quickly and good thing I did or I'd have ended up at the temple without any bottoms that would fit. So quickly ordered bottoms that ended up being way big, but better big than too small.
There is new stuff and old stuff and new sizing and old sizing and I cannot believe that it is this incredibly hard to buy garments. I've been buying the same size underwear for 45 years no matter the maker and it's always fit. I called Salt Lake store for help and was yelled at because I wanted to put a 1" piece of lace on the bottom of one of the tops. Very frustrating.
I wouldn't even mind so much paying $200 plus on undies I can wear, but I have multiple ones that I cannot wear.

When I went through my initiatory they told me that how I wore my garments (tops) was between me and Heavenly Father. When I put on my temple dress, the lady reminded me to be sure to put my bra over my garment. So mixed message there. Even some of the long tops are not long enough for those of us who have a LARGE bust.
And with the bottoms, the crotch comes to my knees in most and the ends of the legs come mid calf. It's really kind of funny looking.
I personally wish they would just size the bottoms like regular underwear is sized (5, 7, 9, 11 etc. ) or at least small, medium, large, etc. so I could know what to buy. If I get what my measurements tell me, the bottom elastic comes up over my breasts, and the tops barely cover my breasts. If I wanted the strapless look, I could use the bottoms as a bathing suit!
And some of the tops are simply serged at the bottom, no hem, no finishing and they "ruffle" and roll no matter how loose or how tight.
I told my visiting teacher today that I haven't tried the men's bottoms yet, but I just might have to!!!

I'm just really frustrated. I have 9 packages of bottoms that I have to return and try something else. Why does it have to be so difficult?

Bananikka
captain of 100

Post by Bananikka »

Aak! $200 for garments ? What if you can't afford them?

Charley
captain of 50

Post by Charley »

I too have had issues with ordering garments with the right fit in the past. I actually dread it every time I have to order. Tried ordering a few times online and kept getting locked out because I took too long trying to figure out what I needed. Ugh. I tried to actually just call in an order a few weeks ago and was complaining about fit and the woman told me that in a couple of days they would be offering new sizes and that I should probably call back in a couple days to talk to them then. That was about 2-3 weeks ago. I haven't gotten around to doing it again just yet. Just letting you know they are supposed to have new sizes.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I wear my bra under the garment every single time I've ever worn a bra. no brainer.

desertgal53
Hi, I'm new.

Post by desertgal53 »

Charley wrote:I too have had issues with ordering garments with the right fit in the past. I actually dread it every time I have to order. Tried ordering a few times online and kept getting locked out because I took too long trying to figure out what I needed. Ugh. I tried to actually just call in an order a few weeks ago and was complaining about fit and the woman told me that in a couple of days they would be offering new sizes and that I should probably call back in a couple days to talk to them then. That was about 2-3 weeks ago. I haven't gotten around to doing it again just yet. Just letting you know they are supposed to have new sizes.
Yes, I have some of the new sizes. I have friends who have ordered the new ones and they do not fit. Most say if they measure and order according to the measurements, they are WAY WAY too big. The tops that they measured me for at the store I went to are so huge on me that they are unwearable. I did have to wear them for a while since that was all I had, so I can't return them. The slip I got that same day was a tall.... now, I was 5'3" tall in my youth, I'm barely 5'1" now, and that's a size tall? The bottoms, way too small. Why can't they size them like other undergarments? Or at least small, med, large etc.?
Our little branch has been taking garments to be returned almost every other week. (It's a 3 hour drive to the nearest store to get garments)
And every time someone orders garments or goes and buys them, at least one of them is un-returnable because you have to open at least one top and one bottom to make sure that they will fit. I have to remember, talls for the tops, and petites for the bottoms!

I talked to the On-line store the other day and the gal I talked with was wonderful! She gave me good advice and seemed to understand my troubles with the garments. She did point out to me that you can have your garments specially made and they don't cost any more than if you buy the ones they have in stock. So that is an option. And when I'm down to needing more, that's what I'm going to do. :)

Luthien
captain of 10

Post by Luthien »

Quote: "over or under, either is fine, it's between you and the Lord." The garment next to the skin has never been actual doctrine or policy. The quote is from my temple matron. I've worn it both ways but prefer the garment over the bra. Scandalous I tell ya! Seriously, wearing your garment over your bra is not wrong or incorrect in any way. Ask your temple matron :) then pray about it, wear it and see how you feel. Do what's best for you!

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

Pray about it? Hmmmm...
"Our dear kind Heavenly Father, I'm SO thankful for this day, .....should I wear my bra over my garment or under?"

HF- " :)) "

"Why are you laughing? This is important to me. I just want to do what's right."

HF- " =)) "

" :-w Can I talk to mom for a minute?"

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Cookies wrote:...
"Our dear kind Heavenly Father, I'm SO thankful for this day, .....should I wear my bra over my garment or under?"

HF- " :)) "

"Why are you laughing? This is important to me. I just want to do what's right."

HF- " =)) "

" :-w Can I talk to mom for a minute?"
:))

Point taken. Neither one could care less, I expect. :)

TXRSan
Hi, I'm new.

Post by TXRSan »

As a former RS president in the Dallas, TX area I went to the temple matron and asked the question last summer (summer 2014)

Currently the matrons give the instructions to wear the garment night and day. Whether you wear the garment over or under your bra is your preference. There is NO right way to wear the bra.

When I was first married in 1984 we were instructed to wear it over our bras but that is NO LONGER the teaching in the temple.

Convertapril
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Convertapril »

:(( wow I'm so overwhelmed and so thankful I found this site. First off I will say I'm a convert to the church have been for almost 3 years now. I was sealed in the temple with my husband two years ago. That day was such a blur I look back and think no one really told me how exactly to where my garments. When interviewing with our stake president he mentioned garments and that he doesn't wear his during basketball or sports or at intimate times. And I hear many mixed signals on here. I have come to the conclusion that depending on the garment style such as the chemise I wear generally over top and the cupped garments I wear underneath. Now being a convert goes to the conclusion that I'm used to wearing my underwear next to my skin and other clothing on top so for me on top over top of my bra provides better support for my bosom and feels more comfortable.

I agree with so many comments about how hard it is to shop for garments that fit decent. I'm not a large person nor am I a small person but I've got some baby belly and I have a smaller bosom compared to my stomach. The church has also been changing how old the measurements work for the garment so what I used to wear isn't available anymore and I have to resize and that is a hard long difficult process. I wish the church had a better return policy because you do have to experiment with different styles to find out what is appropriate I think you should be able to open a package try it doesn't work put it right back in the package and return it but they don't take open packages back? Least to my understanding.

In regards to bottoms and a woman cycle I find this the most difficult time ever! This was not mentioned at all when I went through the temple the first time and it's not something us women talk about. As with being a convert I'm used to my underwear next to my skin I do wear my underwear all the time under my garments. I feel naked and exposed if I just wear garments alone? Even if I was to wear my underwear on top my garments I still have the issue of heat... Unfortunately I am quite prone to female issues in that region and and just wearing my garments doesn't rid the problem. I've tried all the different fabrics and I still have issues! On the churches website it says to talk to your branch president what female wants to go to their branch president and tell him that she has female issues down below because of the heat created by the garments?? Unfortunately this issue has caused me to not wear my garments on the bottom at all times... I know this isn't the best but I can't run around with infections constantly because of garments? Has anyone else had this issue I feel like I'm the only one? I have prayed to heavenly father and asked for guidance and I feel comfortable that he's allowing me to take a reprieve in wearing my bottom garments constantly. I strive to keep the spirit about me remember my covenants and always wear my top garments. Any wisdom on how to make the bottoms work better for me I almost want to take a pair scissors to them? #-o

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

If you have health issues, you should be able to work it out between you and God. (I worked with a lady who had health issues and only wore the tops, after conferring with her bishop at the time the issues began.)

lgr3065
captain of 100

Post by lgr3065 »

Historically garments were NOT worn all the time (more for temple ceremony), this is a modern day change. There is no revelation or commandment that you were them all the time. It is a teaching. Nice to heed, if possible-the promises are comforting but again not scriptural (Adam and Eve were given a garment by the Lord directly not by a man representing the Lord (who does not know you or your health concerns) and we are not told much about how our first parents were instructed) The recommend interview remains us of that teaching. Pray about it, like ARP above stated-work it out between you and God. Is it wise or healthy to use substances that our bodies are allergic to? I know of lots of women (me included) where yeast infections abound within the climate of the garment (cotton-sometimes not so bad). The expense can be costly to treat these infections and other major health issues can develop-it can be a serious problem not to be treated lightly. So, be a wise servant. Ask God. (my points may have been pointed out earlier in the thread-if so, I apologize)

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I agree with lgr3065 above ^^^^^^^^^^^.

I also believe that it's not your Bishop's business. The idea of talking about specifics of garment-wearing with a man you're not related to is kinda creepy, right? If you feel okay about the way you wear your garment, then just answer YES to the recommend question, and move on. The instruction (NOT a covenant) in the temple is to wear them throughout your life. It is a modern construct to interpret that as every day and night, without fail.

lgr3065
captain of 100

Post by lgr3065 »

Oh, how I wish there was a thanks button. Thanks, Lizzy. Certainly NOT the Bishop, counselor, or S Pres or counselors business!!!!