Cloth Diapers

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
patriotsaint
captain of 1,000

Cloth Diapers

Post by patriotsaint »

Ok sisters,

My wife wanted me to post and ask if any of you use cloth diapers. If you do, would you mind sharing which system you prefer and why.

She wants to make the switch, but wants a few opinions first from those that have used them.

Dr. Mindbender
captain of 50

Re: Cloth Diapers

Post by Dr. Mindbender »

Not a sister, but my wife is....well, let me clarify that. She's a sister in the sense that she would be to you in the Church. She certainly is not my sister. :D

She purchased a set that are really high quality and she likes them a lot. When she first came to me with the idea, the more I thought about it, the more I liked it, especially from an emergency preparedness perspective. After all, what are all those people with newborn children going to do when Huggies and the like are no longer available?

I'll ask her the details and try to post them soon. As you can tell from my post count, I don't post much. I'm extremely busy with other things and don't have much time to write coherent thoughts or comments here, but I try to read as often as possible. With that said, my next two weeks are absolutely crazy, so it will probably be some time after that.

keeprunning
captain of 100

Post by keeprunning »

It depends on if you are doing it for cost benefit or not. :lol: You can get pretty fancy diapers these days! I usually just did it simple with chinese prefolds and a snappi with a good cover. I also used a few all in ones for convenience. Pocket diapers were okay, but not my favorite system. If you just plan on doing a small load every day or 2, then you can stay on top of it and get away with buying less.

patriotsaint
captain of 1,000

Post by patriotsaint »

Thanks for the responses, my wife appreciates the input.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I used pre-folded cotton diapers for my first two sons. You can probably find pre-folded diapers designed with the extra padding either in the front (boys) or in the middle (girls) these days. I used knitted snap covers to absorb any extra moisture between changes - especially at night. I stayed away from plastic covers. Neither of my two older boys ever, ever had a spot of diaper rash.

I went through a lot of diapers, immediately rinsed them thoroughly, and let them soak in a bucket of water with a generous amount of borax mixed in until I had enough for a load of laundry. I hung them on the clothesline whenever possible.

I would strongly caution that you make sure the cotton diapers you buy are certified non-GMO. I have grave concerns about the increase in the phenomenon called Morgellons being a consequence of GMO cotton products.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

We used cloth diapers on our first three kids. Jo went to the fabric store and purchased a bolt of white cotton cloth the right thickness. She then cut the diapers, a dozen each, three different sizes. She did something to the edges with her sewing machine, but I don't remember what.

When our forth was born I happened to be in J.C. Penny's and come across a fantastic diaper sale, 100 throw away diapers in a box. So I purchased 10 boxes. At first she didn't like the idea, but cutting down on washing machine time sold her. We purchased the same diapers from Penny's with the rest of our kids.

My oldest son Sam just informed me--He "Never" wore a diaper--- sigh--- he soiled more diapers than all the rest of the kids combined--

I have just been ordered to erase that last statement----OK, I said---just let me push this here button---

Bob

Bob

Bob

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

I am not a woman...but I put together some thoughts on the topic a while back...you might find it interesting...

http://preparenownewsletter.blogspot.co ... apers.html

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

If your wife is thinking about cloth diapers, she really ought to check out elimination communication (EC), too. http://www.tribalbaby.org/ECindex.html This used to be standard procedure for parents all over the world but was lost in most western countries when diaper companies convinced parents that they could just put their kids in diapers and wait for them to do their business.

I won't beat around the bush: cloth diapers are more work, but overall they are so much better then disposables, for more reasons than simply saving money or even the environment. If you learn to EC they aren't so much trouble and the better connection with your baby is very rewarding. If your wife has any questions, feel free to send me a message.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Stephen wrote:I am not a woman...but I put together some thoughts on the topic a while back...you might find it interesting...

Thanks. Great site.

jderurange2
Hi, I'm new.

Post by jderurange2 »

I have to say, my sister uses cloth diapers and although it is a money saver, it is GROSS. Her house always smells terrible, her washer and dryer have begun to stink like that stuff does...and since they wash their clothes in the same washer and dryer, it makes all of their clothes stink.

That being said, I definately think that it is doable without being too dirty-my sister has a LOT of kids and can't really have a super clean house too...but it can be offensively stinky and unsanitary if not used correctly. Personally, I invest in disposables because I can't stand my house smelling like dirty diapers!

katers
captain of 100

Post by katers »

Thanks everyone for your input! (I am patriotsaint's wife and originally requested this post)

Buffalo Girl...do you have any more info on morgellans? I don't really know what that is. I do harbor ill feelings towards GMO's in the food industry though and am sure there are carryovers into other types of crops as well. You've got me interested though!

One more question..... I've read that using fabric softener on cloth diapers is bad and makes them less absorbent. I personally use a homemade laundry detergent and use vinegar instead of fabric softener. Is the vinegar okay to use?

Thanks for all the good info! It really helped. :)

katers
captain of 100

Post by katers »

Sorry, one more! Stephen, I enjoyed your article, and thought you might like this one. http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/02/you ... r_ins.html
It's what got me thinking about all of this in the first place. And funny too.

Post by Like »

With the cloth diapers where do you store them while you get enough to do a full load of laundry to do? Do you wash them off outside(you know remove waste) before washing them in your washer?
Last edited by Like on February 19th, 2010, 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

katers
captain of 100

Post by katers »

I haven't actually started yet, (still waiting for the diapers I ordered) but from what I've researched: you wash waste off in the toilet...they even make these cool sprayers now that attach to the toilet so you don't have to dunk them in, and then you toss them in a sealed diaper pail that you can put deodorizers in to control the smell.

Post by Like »

Oh ok thanks.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

katers wrote:Thanks everyone for your input! (I am patriotsaint's wife and originally requested this post)

Buffalo Girl...do you have any more info on morgellans? I don't really know what that is. I do harbor ill feelings towards GMO's in the food industry though and am sure there are carryovers into other types of crops as well. You've got me interested though!

One more question..... I've read that using fabric softener on cloth diapers is bad and makes them less absorbent. I personally use a homemade laundry detergent and use vinegar instead of fabric softener. Is the vinegar okay to use?

Thanks for all the good info! It really helped. :)
Yes, vinegar's okay. Fabric softener leaves a film that makes the diapers less absorbent, but vinegar won't and will help control the smell.

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

katers wrote:Sorry, one more! Stephen, I enjoyed your article, and thought you might like this one. http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/02/you ... r_ins.html
It's what got me thinking about all of this in the first place. And funny too.
Thank you.

I liked that he went through the "how" to clean them. His idea about the weed sprayer was really great too!

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

You guys are gonna love this! I raised five children through the "cloth diapers" era. We did as some have stated here....rinsed them out in the toilet....then put them in a diaper bucket that was deoderized until enough to wash. However, the interesting thing is that at each birth, my Mom bought me diaper service. (They came to your house and collected the diaper buckets.) Each service told me that I did NOT have to clean out the messy ones...just put them in the bucket...that when they took them back to their commercial washers...everything got "handled". (Whatever that meant) And...your diapers were never washed with anyone else's. (Not sure how to prove that!) What most of us "old fashioned" Moms often did was let a diaper soak in the toilet....which led to people accidently flushing them....and then the plumber with the rotor-rooter had to come out and fish it out! Those were the good old days! I will say, though, I loved hanging diapers out in the sunshine to dry! Needless to say, I am a bit perturbed that disposable diapers were not invented earlier. What can I say....I survived it!

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

I used cloth diapers on my first five children, but for the 6th I went to disposables. We made our own cloth diapers and rinsed them in a toilet (for messy diapers) and soaked them in a covered bucket. I always did an extra rinse in the washer and kept it clean and it never smelled. I washed the diapers often enough that they weren't smelly, either. When the weather permitted, I also hung the diapers to dry. But I must say, it was so nice to have the disposables for the last baby. I was tired by then.

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

Stephen wrote:I am not a woman...but I put together some thoughts on the topic a while back...you might find it interesting...

Stephen this is good. By the way I love, love, love, your website. I just found it a couple of weeks ago and have been reading it almost everyday. Thanks, its great!

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

My friend set up this page: http://www.etsyclothdiapers.com/ as well as http://www.boiseclothdiapers.com/ (but she recently sold the latter).

She is making my cloth diapers as we speak (Okay, maybe not at 11pm) and I sat with her and looked through all her different styles, since she has some of everything. What we're getting are her favorite style, cloth diapers with separate PUL covers. We're getting a one-size fits half style (basically one size fits all but with a smaller one and a larger one for later). She uses snaps (Velco gets nasty after a while) and cotton/flannel/terry. Mine will actually be towel outer layers (inside the water-proof PUL covers) with cotton inner layers. They'r made with the main diaper shape, fitted at the legs and snapping in the front (the older style can snap on the sides and bve used like pull-ups). They have two "pads" inside for extra absorbency that are connected by snaps (the separationvia flaps helps them to dry faster, the pads add absorbancy without all-around bulk, and the snaps keep them from tearing or seems ripping in dryers). If you want to see what it actually looks like, there are some pictures here: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=24141290

I didn't read through every post, but she did tell me that you need to use a lot less detergent (and die/perfume free etc) so as not to saturate the fabrics --it'll build up. And you really shouldn't use chemical dryer products (they make non-chemical ones) becasue they will actually cause the stench someone above was talking about as it creates a chemical residue that for cloth diapers has a very negative effect on the nose!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I know a fair deal about how she does it having watched her for years, but she's just converted me so I also am in the "waiting on my order" stage. Plus I can give you her contact info and let you ask her yourself!

Best of luck!
Catherine (Bbrown's wife)

katers
captain of 100

Post by katers »

bbrown wrote:My friend set up this page: http://www.etsyclothdiapers.com/ as well as http://www.boiseclothdiapers.com/ (but she recently sold the latter).

She is making my cloth diapers as we speak (Okay, maybe not at 11pm) and I sat with her and looked through all her different styles, since she has some of everything. What we're getting are her favorite style, cloth diapers with separate PUL covers. We're getting a one-size fits half style (basically one size fits all but with a smaller one and a larger one for later). She uses snaps (Velco gets nasty after a while) and cotton/flannel/terry. Mine will actually be towel outer layers (inside the water-proof PUL covers) with cotton inner layers. They'r made with the main diaper shape, fitted at the legs and snapping in the front (the older style can snap on the sides and bve used like pull-ups). They have two "pads" inside for extra absorbency that are connected by snaps (the separationvia flaps helps them to dry faster, the pads add absorbancy without all-around bulk, and the snaps keep them from tearing or seems ripping in dryers). If you want to see what it actually looks like, there are some pictures here: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=24141290

I didn't read through every post, but she did tell me that you need to use a lot less detergent (and die/perfume free etc) so as not to saturate the fabrics --it'll build up. And you really shouldn't use chemical dryer products (they make non-chemical ones) becasue they will actually cause the stench someone above was talking about as it creates a chemical residue that for cloth diapers has a very negative effect on the nose!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I know a fair deal about how she does it having watched her for years, but she's just converted me so I also am in the "waiting on my order" stage. Plus I can give you her contact info and let you ask her yourself!

Best of luck!
Catherine (Bbrown's wife)
Thank you! Those are some of the best prices I've seen on the wool covers, (and they're very cute!). That's exactly the style of diapers I've been looking at. Great link!

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

jderurange2:

If the odor is "over-the-top" suggest your sister add 1/2 to 3/4 cup white vinegar to the wash and can be used with bleach. It really helps cut odor. Works on all clothes with odor (dishcloths), smelly socks, etc.

believer
captain of 1,000

Post by believer »

When I raised my 4 kids, I used cloth diapers. I made liners out of old sheets. For #2, the diaper was soaked in the toilet, then rinsed out and put in the diaper pail. The liner was flushed down the toilet. For #1, the diaper and the liner went into the pail. The diaper pail was half filled with water with Borax or Borateem in. The Borax or Borateem takes care of the oder and helps disinfect the diapers. When I got low on diapers, I washed them. I put them into a hot water rinse cycle first, and then a full cycle. I used diaper pins. I used plastic pants over the diaper, which prevented leaking.

I think many of you who are thinking about cloth diapers now are making it too complicated.

Believer

nutmeg
captain of 50

Post by nutmeg »

I'm coming in on this discussion late, but I haven't been on the forum in a while. Sorry! We did cloth diapers with our first baby and loved loved loved it. Maybe, MAYBE, it's a smidge more work than disposables, but when I got pregnant I finally got lazy and did disposables, but I find that they are not that much easier, really. It's super annoying how fast the garbage fills up, and my house stinks longer and more(I don't have a diaper genie, because mainly I cloth diaper, this is just temporary insanity, lol). And having to always make sure you have enough and you don't run out is a super pain, and man, it's expensive.

Here's the brands we used and loved. I've only got 2 months until baby #2 gets here, and I'm so excited that I basically have everything I need, this baby is going to be CHEAP (knock on wood), yahoo!! We loved Crickett's diapers, they are fitted and have little snaps, and like someone said above, they are 2 sizes fits all, one smaller and one bigger. they are a hemp-cotton blend and last really well through lots of abuse but are still soft. We also very much enjoy our Chinese prefolds. Even if you don't use them much in your diaper system they are just so darn sturdy and useful. I'll probably be using them to clean my house in ten years. We do have Snappi's for them, but mostly just folded them and laid them inside the covers and the covers kept them on the baby very well. For covers we have mostly enjoyed a brand called Thirsties. Never any leaks or rashes or anything like that. My only complaint really is that velcro is a bit of a pain after a while. it just goes ratty from all the washing and drying. That being said, I still don't think I will be needing any new covers for quite a while, they still work awesome! We also have about 5 or 6 Bumgenious One Size fits all pocket diapers, and those were our go-to diapers for over night. Aside from the velcro getting a little ratty, they are still looking great and should work fabulously for the next kiddo. Really I can't even tell you how much money we save with this. With the first kid you definitely have to budget in getting your stash built up, but I would be surprised if we spent more than $200 for 15 months of diapering. So far! If we do just 15 months again with the next kid (or longer, I'm not sure I want my next two so close together, lol) That will be 30 months of diapering for $200. Try to do that with disposables, even with sales and coupons!

And my washing system is based on laziness and ick factor and we had NO problems with smell. Because I am seriously sensitive to smell. Breast fed poo doesn't even need to have anything done to it, just put it in the pail like you do wet diapers. But when the poo gets more solid and more stinky (don't introduce solids to your baby too soon anyways! it's not good for them!) all i ever did was shake out the big stuff into the toilet and then toss it into the pail. Every once in a while there might be one so messy that this doesn't get most of it, my hubby would do the swish it in the toilet thing, I would do the lazy thing and use like an old plastic knife and throw it away after that. This happened maybe a handful of times, so I don't feel TOO bad about my ecological hypocrisy, lol. I bought flushable liners and then never used them, so I still have them, and I might try them this time just to see if i like them. but i would still wait till the introduction of solid foods. you just don't need it before then.

We used a dry pail system. I splashed out on two "wet bags" and I think they were from the company Cotton Babies. We got a lot of stuff from them and they were a great site. So I just have a basic plastic garbage pan that I picked up at target or walmart or somewhere. it doesn't even have that tight fitting of a lid, just the kind that has two hinges in the back and is attached. you put the wet bag in and then for two days all the diapers go in there. don't put the covers in until they need to be washed. they can be reused until they get soiled. Usually you just have two covers you rotate through for a day, maybe wiping them out and then draping them over your changing table to let them air a little while you use the other one, and then switch! You need a lot less covers then you do diapers. I always kept a little baking soda near my pail, and if I felt it was getting stinky I might through some in, but I didn't have to do that very often. Then you just wash them every other day. You could do every 3 days, but you might get a little more stink factor then. When I washed them i just lifted the bag out of the pail and upended the whole thing in to the washer and then threw the bag in last. Then run one entire wash just with cold water and some vinegar (somewhere between 1/2 to a cup? i never really measured). Then run it again on the hot/cold cycle with GOOD detergent. the detergent is probably the most crucial factor to this whole process. We did our research and found a company called Charlie's Soap that makes AWESOME detergent that is seriously gentle, has no smell, rinses completely clean, does not clog your machine, has no build up on the diapers, everything wonderful and good, lol. We use it for everything and our grown up skin loves it too. It's a little pricey unless you splash out for a ginormous bucket, and then you get a really good price. That's what we did (after trying a smaller one and making sure we liked it) and we bought a huge old bucket and have tons left and I haven't had to buy detergent since. I don't have to be afraid if my Toddler somehow gets into it, it's totally nontoxic, and it only takes a tiny tiny little scoop for each load. like maybe its a 1-2 tablespoon size amount? We bought the powder, by the way.

Anyway, that's how we do it. And what the people said above is true: putting diapers on the clothesline IS somehow magical and wonderful on a sunny day. But you definitely don't have to. you can dry them in the dryer (except the covers, which will dry lickety split draped over whatever the heck you want to drape them over. They last much longer and stay waterproof longer if they don't go in the dryer). Oh, one more thing about washing, that I forgot: it's important that there is plenty of water and room for the diapers to agitate, so make sure you put the setting on "full load" or "large" or whatever, even though your washer will probably only be half full. Good luck! There are so many great diapers out there these days, you can't really go wrong!