Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: I love Enoch

Post by BeNotDeceived »

I bought a red Book of Enoch from Deseret Book late 80's; anyone familiar :-\

One thing I recall is it mentions air-travel will be cut off, but not sure how authentic it was.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

BeNotDeceived wrote: September 11th, 2017, 3:45 pm I bought a red Book of Enoch from Deseret Book late 80's; anyone familiar :-\

One thing I recall is it mentions air-travel will be cut off, but not sure how authentic it was.
I recently bought a copy of the Book of Enoch from Amazon.

I've re-read Nibley's Ensign articles about the book of Enoch a few times and decided I should read one of the translations.

I enjoy both the Nibley explanations and the Book of Enoch itself.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

CelestialAngel wrote: September 13th, 2017, 4:49 pm I haven't read the Book of Enoch because the church hasn't released it.
Why would the church release it? It is simply another apocryphal or psuedipegriphal writing of great interest. I have all three versions the Slovenic, the Aramaic/Hebrew and the Ethiopic. Each generally is pretty different from the others but there are a few common elements as well.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

Well Enoch is coming back in the near future with his city, and those that will be greatly privileged to meet him here on earth will see eye to eye. So what do you suppose that entails?

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

CelestialAngel wrote: September 13th, 2017, 4:49 pm I haven't read the Book of Enoch because the church hasn't released it.
Here is a link to the first part of the 13 part series on the Book of Enoch from the Ensign.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1975/10/a-st ... 1?lang=eng

Here is the scripture about apocryphal works.

Doctrine and Covenants
Section 91
Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Kirtland, Ohio, March 9, 1833. The Prophet was at this time engaged in the translation of the Old Testament. Having come to that portion of the ancient writings called the Apocrypha, he inquired of the Lord and received this instruction.

1–3, The Apocrypha is mostly translated correctly but contains many interpolations by the hands of men that are not true; 4–6, It benefits those enlightened by the Spirit.

1 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you concerning the Apocrypha—There are many things contained therein that are true, and it is mostly translated correctly;

2 There are many things contained therein that are not true, which are interpolations by the hands of men.

3 Verily, I say unto you, that it is not needful that the Apocrypha should be translated.

4 Therefore, whoso readeth it, let him understand, for the Spirit manifesteth truth;

5 And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit therefrom;

6 And whoso receiveth not by the Spirit, cannot be benefited. Therefore it is not needful that it should be translated. Amen.

I gained much benefit from studying Enoch with the Spirit as well as the Book of Adam (The Combat of Adam and Eve with Satan). But again, only if you have the Spirit are you to read these books.

Some things I learned more clearly:

The importance of prayer in protecting us from the deceptions of Satan. Some of the means by which Satan may deceive us.

The importance of the patriarchal order.

The importance of attending to our daily devotions: prayer, fasting, and Sabbath Day worship in protecting us from Satan.

There is a story where the righteous stopped attending to fasting and prayer. Then they started watching, from the top of the mountain where they lived, the wicked who lived at the bottom. After one year, they began to go down in groups and join the wicked. Once they left the mountain they could not return again.

Some of the things that Satan taught the wicked that enticed the righteous (or former righteous) included alcohol; some types of music, clothing and makeup; immodesty and immorality; the making of war implements, etc.

There is so much more, but this is a good start.

If you feel that you do not have the Spirit, by all means, don't read these books yet. But I would certainly encourage seeking after and obtaining the kind of relationship with the Spirit where these things can be read. They were a wonderful addition to the canonized scriptures and do contain many truths.

The Book of Enoch in particular is a book written for the last day. I agree with the poster who said to read the various translations if you read them, they do contain different things.