Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
h_p
captain of 1,000

Re: What ordinance qualifies us for entrance into the Celestial Kingdom?

Post by h_p »

You need them all, really. But you can receive them all, and still not be qualified.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 21st, 2017, 3:23 pm So how would you say one gets qualified for a Celestial resurrection?
When God Himself tells you that you are:
2 Nephi 31:20 wrote:Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.
My belief is that this is what having your calling and election made sure is: receiving an unconditional promise of eternal life directly from God. You can find several examples in the scriptures of people experiencing that exact thing, and I think Nephi here was speaking from direct experience, too. Anyways, until that point, all the blessings promised to you in the ordinances you received are conditional.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Jesus answered this question.
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

The baptism of water and the baptism of fire are requisites for entrance into the Celestial Kingdom. If you are baptized with water, but never receive the Holy Ghost, even if hands are laid upon you and the giver invokes the giving, you must actually receive the gift.
“There is a difference between the Holy Ghost and the gift of the Holy Ghost. Cornelius received the Holy Ghost before he was baptized, which was the convincing power of God unto him of the truth of the Gospel, but he could not receive the gift of the Holy Ghost until after he was baptized. Had he not taken this sign or ordinance upon him, the Holy Ghost which convinced him of the truth of God, would have left him. Until he obeyed these ordinances and received the gift of the Holy Ghost, by the laying on of hands, according to the order of God, he could not have healed the sick or commanded an evil spirit to come out of a man, and it obey him; for the spirits might say unto him, as they did to the sons of Sceva: ‘Paul we know and Jesus we know, but who are ye?"--Joseph Smith, Mar. 20, 1842, HC 4:555
and
"You might as well baptize a bag of sand as a man, if not done in view of the remission of sins and getting of the Holy Ghost. Baptism by water is but half a baptism, and is good for nothing without the other half—that is, the baptism of the Holy Ghost."--Joseph Smith, July 9, 1843, HC 5:499
There is another ordinance performed by the Savior, which we can read about in JST Genesis 14, which "advances" a man's calling. Although in the church we are ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood, it is not the fullness. If it were, it would bring with it translation (power in the priesthood, parting the veil, company of God and the powers of heaven (angels).
JST Genesis 14:26 Now Melchizedek was a man of faith, who wrought righteousness; and when a child he feared God, and stopped the mouths of lions, and quenched the violence of fire.

27 And thus, having been approved of God, he was ordained an high priest after the order of the covenant which God made with Enoch,

28 It being after the order of the Son of God; which order came, not by man, nor the will of man; neither by father nor mother; neither by beginning of days nor end of years; but of God;

29 And it was delivered unto men by the calling of his own voice, according to his own will, unto as many as believed on his name.

30 For God having sworn unto Enoch and unto his seed with an oath by himself; that every one being ordained after this order and calling should have power, by faith, to break mountains, to divide the seas, to dry up waters, to turn them out of their course;

31 To put at defiance the armies of nations, to divide the earth, to break every band, to stand in the presence of God; to do all things according to his will, according to his command, subdue principalities and powers; and this by the will of the Son of God which was from before the foundation of the world.

32 And men having this faith, coming up unto this order of God, were translated and taken up into heaven.
This "order" or "association" is priesthood. The above passage illustrates the "oath and covenant" of the priesthood. The temple endowment ceremony is a type and a shadow--a "rehearsal" of the real ordinance, which is personally ministered by Jesus Christ, who gives to you real power in the priesthood. What we do in the temple is not the actual ministration of the fullness of the priesthood and the recorded narrator explicitly tells you this at the beginning of the session.
Last edited by marc on August 21st, 2017, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 21st, 2017, 1:36 pm lowest degree = baptized and confirmed
middle degree= initiatory and temple endowment
highest degree= Temple marriage sealing
I don't mind going to the Middle Degree. I do want to become like God, though.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 21st, 2017, 1:36 pm lowest degree = baptized and confirmed

I would be interested to see you support this if you would be so kind. Thank you.
Last edited by marc on August 21st, 2017, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

marc wrote: August 21st, 2017, 3:49 pm
Z2100 wrote: August 21st, 2017, 3:46 pm
I don't mind going to the Middle Degree. I do want to become like God, though.
I would be interested to see you support this if you would be so kind. Thank you.
What do you mean?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Sorry about all the quotes in quotes. It's not my intention to disagree, but I would like to see scriptural support for the three degrees of heaven and the ordinances you cited to qualify for them.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

marc wrote: August 21st, 2017, 3:52 pm Sorry about all the quotes in quotes. It's not my intention to disagree, but I would like to see scriptural support for the three degrees of heaven and the ordinances you cited to qualify for them.

Are you asking me? You should be asking the OP.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Nevermind. The OP was asking how it works and assumed the three degrees based on D&C 131.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

It explicitly states that within the "Celestial" glory there are three degrees. Therefore the Telestial and Terrestrial are not part of this three tiered "Celestial" kingdom.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

This is actually a very good question.

On initial reading and with our understanding of D&C76 it appears that there are degrees within the celestial kingdom and that you must be sealed to your spouse to enter into the highest degree. This also enters you into a new order of the Melchizidek priesthood, the partiarchal order. No reference is made to any requirements for the middle degree. The lowest degree would include some of the requirements outlined in D&C 76.

But if Joseph was simply referring to all heaven as celestial glory, which might have been an common way of speaking about things in his time, then the degrees he is referring to would actually be referencing the telestial, terestrial, and celestial kingdoms. In this case the sealing ordinance is required to attain any part of the celestial kingdom.

I believe the former to be correct, but can understand where the question is coming from.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

I've wondered a lot about that, too. If the only thing keeping someone from the highest sub-degree of the Celestial Kingdom is being sealed to a spouse, I can't imagine there being many people in the lesser degrees. It'd be like passing all the requirements off for your Eagle Scout award, finishing the project, and not turning in the paperwork. :-)

TrueIntent
captain of 100

Post by TrueIntent »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 21st, 2017, 1:36 pm I always heard baptism and getting the gift of the Holy Ghost make us qualified for entrance into the Celestial Kingdom, but it's during the endowment where we reach the veil and try to enter the presence of the Celestial world and The Father. So which ordinance gets us in the door, baptism and confirmation, or is it the endowment and the veil ordinance? And are there really 3 degrees within the Celestial Kingdom or does D&C 131 get misinterpreted by many? So if there are 3 degrees within the Celestial Kingdom does it go:

lowest degree = baptized and confirmed

Does that look like how most of you view the 3 degrees within the Celestial Kingdom because my model is how I've always imagined it, with all levels within enjoying the presence of The Father and The Son.
Well you are presenting the "qualifiers", tokens or signs, at the veil, which then parts the veil--so that you can converse with the Lord directly....just like Moses did...face to face. You need them all...supposedly. I have received a few witnesses (tokens) myself. And the veil thins to a degree with each experience or token received. The ordinances are just a type or shadow of what is required from the individual to part the veil. Participation in your local temple does not qualify one or mean you have gained entrance to the celestial kingdom (however .... I believe many LDS believe that simply receiving the ordinance makes it a done deal)obtaining the first token of the Aaronic, the second token, 1st of Melkezedek, and sure sign...is an indivual thing...and you receive witnesses for each event (I.e. Baptism of fire is a tangible witness, though the experience is unique to each individual who receives it). All this is my understanding.

There are lots of individuals on this forum who probably could give you more information than I could. But I definitely feel like several powerful experiences I have had seem to be following the exact pattern of the ordinances. Hope this helps.

TrueIntent
captain of 100

Post by TrueIntent »

TrueIntent wrote: August 21st, 2017, 7:56 pm
CelestialAngel wrote: August 21st, 2017, 1:36 pm I always heard baptism and getting the gift of the Holy Ghost make us qualified for entrance into the Celestial Kingdom, but it's during the endowment where we reach the veil and try to enter the presence of the Celestial world and The Father. So which ordinance gets us in the door, baptism and confirmation, or is it the endowment and the veil ordinance? And are there really 3 degrees within the Celestial Kingdom or does D&C 131 get misinterpreted by many? So if there are 3 degrees within the Celestial Kingdom does it go:

lowest degree = baptized and confirmed

Does that look like how most of you view the 3 degrees within the Celestial Kingdom because my model is how I've always imagined it, with all levels within enjoying the presence of The Father and The Son.
Well you are presenting the "qualifiers", tokens or signs, at the veil, which then parts the veil--so that you can converse with the Lord directly....just like Moses did...face to face. You need them all...supposedly. I have received a few witnesses (tokens) myself. And the veil thins to a degree with each experience or token received. The ordinances are just a type or shadow of what is required from the individual to part the veil. Participation in your local temple does not qualify one or mean you have gained entrance to the celestial kingdom (however .... I believe many LDS believe that simply receiving the ordinance makes it a done deal)obtaining the first token of the Aaronic, the second token, 1st of Melkezedek, and sure sign...is an indivual thing...and you receive witnesses for each event (I.e. Baptism of fire is a tangible witness, though the experience is unique to each individual who receives it). All this is my understanding.

There are lots of individuals on this forum who probably could give you more information than I could. But I definitely feel like several powerful experiences I have had seem to be following the exact pattern of the ordinances. Hope this helps.
There is an order and pattern...I would argue we must follow the law first (obedience and sacrifice) so that we can discover where we sin...this is the intent of the law....then we come with broken heart and contrite spirit and offer those sins as an offering...and we are then baptized and receive the Holy Ghost (not as an ordinance necessarily, but as an event...it is possible to occur during the ordinance but most experiences I have read about are not during the ordinance even though it is a symbol of the event.). Then from there the Holy Ghost is the guide....it will tell you what to do to complete the ceremony (I haven't completed it...this is just my understanding of what I comprehend so far).

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

The celestial kingdom is the place prepared for those who have “received the testimony of Jesus” and been “made perfect through Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, who wrought out this perfect atonement through the shedding of his own blood” (D&C 76:51, 69). To inherit this gift, we must receive the ordinances of salvation, keep the commandments, and repent of our sins.
my emphasis added
https://www.lds.org/manual/true-to-the- ... y?lang=eng
Also
Quote by Brigham Young:
“Your endowment is, to receive all those ordinances in the House of the Lord, which are necessary for you, after you have departed this life, to enable you to walk back to the presence of the Father, passing the angels who stand as sentinels, being enabled to give them the key words, the signs and tokens, pertaining to the Holy Priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation in spite of earth and hell” (in Journal of Discourses, 2:31).
http://jod.mrm.org/2/29

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

The Highest Degree IS G_d or the Elohiem.

The Lowest Degree is servants (women) who would not abide by His Law (G_d's Law or the fullness) and were not sealed by His Law. [D&C 132]

And the Middle Degree is the Fourth Estate Beings or G_ds Elect, whom when out of the flesh in a Creation are Holy Ghosts. They come down at the Lord's command to fulfill missions in a world where the Father cannot come personally. They are His emissaries, and have been given to the Son. When the Messiah was speak of His kingdom, He said, "Think not that if I asked the Father for more than 12 legions of Angels, He would give them." The Messiah was not speaking of a Roman Legion to Pontius Pilate, He was speaking of a Legion in ancient Yesrael, which had 12,000 men. He was referring to the 144,000 Angels that the Father had already given Him.

Shalom

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Kingdom of ZION wrote: August 21st, 2017, 11:51 pm The Highest Degree IS G_d or the Elohiem.

The Lowest Degree is servants (women) who would not abide by His Law (G_d's Law or the fullness) and were not sealed by His Law. [D&C 132]

And the Middle Degree is the Fourth Estate Beings or G_ds Elect, whom when out of the flesh in a Creation are Holy Ghosts. They come down at the Lord's command to fulfill missions in a world where the Father cannot come personally. They are His emissaries, and have been given to the Son. When the Messiah was speak of His kingdom, He said, "Think not that if I asked the Father for more than 12 legions of Angels, He would give them." The Messiah was not speaking of a Roman Legion to Pontius Pilate, He was speaking of a Legion in ancient Yesrael, which had 12,000 men. He was referring to the 144,000 Angels that the Father had already given Him.

Shalom
So no men in the lowest huh? Because men obeyed and women didnt? Or just that women are the "workers" like hotel staff?

Im curious where you come up with your ideas.

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

MMbelieve wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 12:08 am
Kingdom of ZION wrote: August 21st, 2017, 11:51 pm The Highest Degree IS G_d or the Elohiem.

Shalom
So no men in the lowest huh? Because men obeyed and women didnt? Or just that women are the "workers" like hotel staff?

Im curious where you come up with your ideas.
Women are good by nature, and hence many more of them will make it to the celestial kingdom. Men being evil by nature, so few make it. If a women was worthy of that kingdom, but was not married in the New and Everlasting Covenant, D&C 132 it says she may go there but she cannot be added upon, and shall be servants to those who are worthy of a greater degree of glory. It says nothing about men.

On a farm, you want all female animals and plants, except one or two perfect males to have a continuation of the different animal and plant species. The eternities mirror mortality, but actually the revers is true.

If a man is worthy of a greater degree of glory then the Telestial and Terrestrial, he will either submit to G_d in all things, and make the required eternal sacrifice, or he will rebel, wanting the glory, but unwilling to pay the price required for G_dhood.

These things are more defined in the scriptures, than the Elect of G_d, Fourth Estate Beings. I would have thought that would be the point, that one would first question?

Sasquatch
captain of 50

Post by Sasquatch »

I think the lower and middle kingdoms in the Celestial Kingdom will be largely composed of individuals who are worthy of exaltation and have received the required ordinances, but are working to progress towards their exaltation. We know that it is possible for people to progress within their kingdoms, but it isn't possible to advance to higher kingdoms hereafter. Also, we know that there is still quite a bit of work to be done towards eternal life after we leave mortality. The lower sub-kingdoms will also be the final homes of those who are worthy of the CK, but failed to complete all of the required ordinances, though how many people would honestly fit into that demographic?

Also, there is this article that discusses whether the three kingdoms mentioned in D&C 131 are actually the Telestial, Terrestrial, and Celestial Kingdoms. In that case, "Celestial glory", in D&C 131:1, refers to the glory of God rather than the Celestial Kingdom.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

Baptism.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

I agree, baptism. And I will be overjoyed to simple make it to the lowest of the celestial kingdom where I can see my Father again.

Which brings to question. If one is worthy of the lower degree of celestial through baptism and a righteous life and one is worthy of the highest through baptism and a righteous life having found an equally worthy spouse, are they essentially the same individually except for the equally righteous spouse?

Can a married couple qualify for the lowest of the celestial or by nature of the marriage are they only considered for the other 2 or possibly the highest only?

I know that we don't have official answers just wondering.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Some may disagree with me on this but the honest truth is that no ordinance qualifies you for the Celestial Kingdom. No ordinance will get you there. Yes, ordinances are required: those which have been mentioned, an ordinance that many people don't know about, that some don't even believe exists, and probably ordinances that have not been revealed yet. But these ordinances don't get us into a kingdom of glory.

So what gets us there? Worthiness. That's really it.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Kingdom of ZION wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 2:18 am Women are good by nature, and hence many more of them will make it to the celestial kingdom. Men being evil by nature, so few make it. If a women was worthy of that kingdom, but was not married in the New and Everlasting Covenant, D&C 132 it says she may go there but she cannot be added upon, and shall be servants to those who are worthy of a greater degree of glory. It says nothing about men.

I am going to disagree with you on this point. Women are not good by nature any more than men are. There are very clear statements in the scriptures that we have to put off the natural man, but the same thing applies to women: they need to put off the natural women.

A lot of women believe that since they sin differently from men, and since the natural woman is often unlike the natural man, women are better or more worthy than men. Some men also believe this while others placate women by expressing that belief.

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

KoZ, I think that is pure baloney, what you just said (justifying "polygamy").

Why didn't God (or the Universe or whatever Power controls spirit gender) just spawn/create the right number of righteous male and female spirits to match up equally? If less male spirits are going to qualify, why not just have more male spirits so the numbers even out? Surely celestial conception could be managed in such a way, like we do with in vitro and egg fertilization, etc. Surely it's not just "random" and beyond Their control or power or science. There are too many ways to easily think a way around that over-simplified explanation attempting to justify one man equals many women.