What is the real purpose of mortality?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

What is the real purpose of mortality?

Post by drtanner »

This may seem like a simple question, but I have a feeling that through a healthy discussion we may all come to better appreciate what we each feel our objective of mortal life really looks like or should look like.

I think we would all agree and have scriptures to confirm the fact that mortality is all about being obedient to all things we are command in but what does that really mean?

Is it enough to go receive all of our ordinances and covenants through baptism and the temple and then try our best to be a good boy or girl without seeking for greater blessings or a more intimate relationship with the Lord?

If we do not meet the Lord in this life or have our calling and election made sure have we failed? Is all lost? Should that be the goal? If not why, if so why? These are genuine questions I'm interested in hearing your opinions on.

Does the night of darkness where no labor can be performed include the spirit world? Would that apply to any greater blessings we could receive or would the opportunity to receive only apply in mortality?

I think of my grandparents for example. Some of the most charitable people I know. When my grandmother was in her 80's she cared for several widows and while some would care to the point of feeding and bathing, she would take it a step further and scrub their toilets and worse because she loved them, but my grandparents were not concerned with the greater mysteries of the gospel. The lived the gospel very simply and basic. Maybe it was because of unbelief or a tradition from their parents that this was not important or maybe it was because they didn't feel it was a necessary part of mortality. Was their not having the desire to experience what Nephi, or other prophets experienced condemning or damning to them? Or did they get it right?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Re: What is the real purpose of mortality?

Post by Arenera »

drtanner wrote: August 16th, 2017, 7:33 pm This may seem like a simple question, but I have a feeling that through a healthy discussion we may all come to better appreciate what we each feel our objective of mortal life really looks like or should look like.

I think we would all agree and have scriptures to confirm the fact that mortality is all about being obedient to all things we are command in but what does that really mean?

Is it enough to go receive all of our ordinances and covenants through baptism and the temple and then try our best to be a good boy or girl without seeking for greater blessings or a more intimate relationship with the Lord?

If we do not meet the Lord in this life or have our calling and election made sure have we failed? Is all lost? Should that be the goal? If not why, if so why? These are genuine questions I'm interested in hearing your opinions on.

Does the night of darkness where no labor can be performed include the spirit world? Would that apply to any greater blessings we could receive or would the opportunity to receive only apply in mortality?

I think of my grandparents for example. Some of the most charitable people I know. When my grandmother was in her 80's she cared for several widows and while some would care to the point of feeding and bathing, she would take it a step further and scrub their toilets and worse because she loved them, but my grandparents were not concerned with the greater mysteries of the gospel. The lived the gospel very simply and basic. Maybe it was because of unbelief or a tradition from their parents that this was not important or maybe it was because they didn't feel it was a necessary part of mortality. Was their not having the desire to experience what Nephi, or other prophets experienced condemning or damning to them? Or did they get it right?
Maybe your grandmother had it right. "He that has done it unto the least of these has done it unto me."

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

drtanner wrote: August 16th, 2017, 7:33 pm This may seem like a simple question, but I have a feeling that through a healthy discussion we may all come to better appreciate what we each feel our objective of mortal life really looks like or should look like.

Receive like they received in mosiah cchapters 4 & 5 and then move forward and believe the last verse in that chapter and receive you're calling an election and then continue hungering and thirsting after righteousness and believe the teachings in the Book of Mormon and receive the face of Christ and his comfort and his blessing like the brother of Jared and so many did and the Book of Mormon... the other option is to disregard the pattern and teachings and encouragement of the Book of Mormon and be content with how your Zion looks right now-- for many who take lightly The Book of Mormon, indeed, all is well for them... your grandparents sound like wonderful people -- :) if there's one thing I know-- God's Mercy is incredibly beautiful...

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I have come to learn that although the Lord is just, He is also merciful. Although He severely chastised the early saints, He declared that in the end, when He returns to make up His jewels, He will own them. I am sure there will be some "learning" to do in the Spirit World for those who pass before Christ returns, but He judges according to our hearts and our desires. It is paramount to have the Holy Ghost. If one does not have the Holy Ghost, one will, by necessity need to follow someone else who does. We tend to trust the testimony of our parents as we grow up, which is why God requires that we raise our children to know who He is and what His laws are. Ultimately, the purpose of mortality, other than becoming mortal is to learn to navigate life in the flesh. We do this best by obeying God precisely. When we obey God precisely, we learn to be precisely like Him, even at the expense of our good name and reputation among men. The first of five laws, which we covenant to obey in the temple is the law of obedience. This hearkens back to the old missionary scripture:
25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them...

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

So true brother Marc. Ldsff family receiving the Holy Spirit maintaining its influence is so key and vital. If you all would permit me to be a little personal- --today has been a beautiful day for me in the presence and influence the Holy Spirit.

In this second estate --in our fallen condition and with our enemy "being combined" it is so obnoxiously easy to have the influence of enmity etc to one degree or another afflict our peace etc. "The central feature of pride is enmity—enmity toward God and enmity toward our fellowmen. Enmity means “hatred toward, hostility to, or a state of opposition.” It is the power by which Satan wishes to reign over us." President ETB.

God's love was felt in many healing waves this day. I felt and received pure intelligence / enlightenment in my communications at work and at home. My ability to turn the other cheek and be temperate kind patient and charitable was so natural and rewarding this day. My desire to let my heart ascend to God in praise and in silent communication through prayer was sweet and nearly continuous. Whistling humming and singing songs of praise to Christ and the father was also a natural function of this day. I am repenting of my unbelief and being tried along the way. I testify that God's choice respite always comes as we strive to be firm and steadfast and seek his protection and guidance / will. God be praised for his holy son Christ for the sweet gifts that come our way as we put our faith and trust in him...