Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: How to defeat cravings for worldly things

Post by David13 »

Depends on what the worldly thing is.
dc

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

The doctrine / atonement of Christ.

2 Nephi 31:13

Mosiah 3:19

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 15th, 2017, 6:04 pm How do you fight cravings for worldly "things".
This is going to sound very simple, but it is true. The key is to gain the ability to see things in a perspective higher than your own. I would say that the vast majority if not all of our personal issues in regards to choosing ungodly things are a result of our seeing things through our own finite eyes and comprehending with our own finite minds.

God can help us see things at a higher level if we ask and pursue knowledge. We can study as much as is available on particular subjects first in scripture, next in the words of latter-day servants, and finally by pondering in our own minds and inviting the Spirit of the Lord for even further clarity. In this manner, we don't "fight" cravings, we simply discover new desires. My favorite example involves old gum under a table. To a small child, it is a desirable treat, but to an adult it is abhorrent and disgusting. Why the difference in behavior and desires? Knowledge. An adult sees old gum under a table differently, they understand about microbes and bacteria, they know where the gum came from and the potential harm, etc. A child doesn't comprehend any of this.

There is no difference between a child and the adult and us and God. It is the same, we desire worldly things because we don't know any better. So the solution is to know better and obtain that knowledge from divine sources. Scripture > Servants > Spirit. It isn't hard, but you have to devote yourself to that path if you really desire to change, otherwise, you'll keep stuffing your face with old gum.

Here are two posts I wrote that go into more depth if you are interested, they aren't that long.

http://oneclimbs.com/2014/04/01/the-bib ... the-table/
http://oneclimbs.com/2017/05/13/seeing-sin/

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Distraction usually works for me. Temptation is much more difficult to fight if we are continually dwelling on the subject of the temptation.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

immerse myself in the scriptures (like an hour a day) or holy music. Helped me quit sugar better than anything else.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Receive the Lord's forgiveness and love. It seems that every spiritual weakness has some root in unforgiveness. At least, that is what I have learned. And I am not talking about "I forgive you so and so for this that and the other" I mean, actually letting the Savior come in and heal you so you can forgive whoever wronged you in your heart, mind, and body. It can be quite the journey, though.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

To add to other comments here, I would say to find the reasons/meaning for things that you do. So many begin their journeys doing what they do because it was the example set for them and they simply followed. When we mature we gain reasons and understanding of the meaning, purpose, and the whys of our actions and non-actions.

Why do you go to church? Not the immature answer but the mature one. Which branches into what 5tev3 was saying about seeing things beyond our limited here and now view.

Then continue to know the deeper reasons for everything you do and don't do in life and even the deeper meaning of the commandments and other expectations/invitations of God.

If you do this thoroughly, you will very clearly see that those "worldly" things are things you do because you are not whole inside. Like Juliet was saying. Those worldly things have zero pull or zero attraction when you see it for what it is. Instead of looking into a part or a get together of some sort and thinking how lucky they are and how much fun they are having, you will see all the lies each of them are telling themselves in order to be there doing what they are doing. They seem happy but they are not!

Whickedness never was happiness has a new meaning in my life as I understand more. They can tell you how immensely happy they are but they are lying. Their spirit will never be happy in sin or whickedness.

It takes a little time and insight and contemplating (may find yourself asking more questions) but it's fun, enlightening, challenging, and self rewarding.

We should view ourselves in the atmosphere of earth looking down and not on the surface looking accross. Elevate our ways and our thinking so we can clearly discern this crazy world we live in.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

It took all the willpower I had to stop trying to defeat my worldly cravings. I've been having a lot of fun, but I know fun is temporary, happiness is lasting. My day of consequences will come, but for now it's "Party Down!"

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

I used to think the more you had the happier you would be. I grew up in the Mormon culture of believing the more you have meant the more righteous you were. God is blessing you with that big boat and big house because you live his commandments and you are righteous. He gives you these things because he knows these blessings will make you happy. Hogwash. I went down that road, had everything I wanted, I started spending all my time with all these "toys" I had and lost my testimony, didn't need to go to church I had fun things to do and money to spend. I wasn't happy, but couldn't see it. I lost a dear friend because of our foolishness. If I would of been doing what the Lord wants me to do and asks me to do and not acting a fool he would be here today. I went downhill after that, lost everything I had. When I finally came out of that awful state, I slowly got my life back and financial security back and more importantly my testimony back. Now I could go buy that big boat or fancy car, but I have no desire. I save what I need and give the rest away. Material possessions mean nothing to me anymore and they never will again. I get a gift, I give it away. I buy something from someone if they need money and it helps them out, I give it away. I drive a truck with 250,000 miles because I have no desire to own a new one. I hate what had to happen for me to humble myself and strip myself of that awful pride I used to walk with, but I am grateful that I was able to get back my relationship with Christ and do my best to live the way he wants me to live. I see these people with all these material possessions and flashing money around but have no relationship with Christ and they act like they are the happiest people on earth, I know different.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

I will also add that you need to surround yourself with people you respect and who uplift you in some way. If you are around people you really respect (parents maybe) then you will be on your best behavior and bad habits can dwindle and temptations can stop.

Also be around others who have high standards themselves. Basically hang out with (often) people who are what you want to be.