Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: What's bad about Buddhism

Post by MMbelieve »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 14th, 2017, 10:37 pm Actually I just like meditating, forgetting about the world's problems, stopping cravings of temporal things and finding inner peace and having no part of division from other people in life. Can't we all get along? Or am I just more of a hippie that meditates?
I don't know but I'm the same way.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 14th, 2017, 9:54 pm I wanted to just focus and ask every reason why Buddhism isn t good besides the obvious lacking priesthood keys but what's so bad about meditating and following 4 good principles about finding inner peace?
You should really stop asking questions like this. You need to do what works for you and asking others or getting their approval will not be sufficient for you on this matter. I believe that what you see as benefits of Buddhist practices and ideals is not what others may get from it. We each can see things quite differently.

Basically, if it works for you and enlightens you, grounds you, mellows you, inspires greatness, etc then do it. How could that ever be bad? Im sure that you don't do things obviously against the commandments or against your covenants so I say seek good and truth and light wherever it may be found. Who cares what anyone else says....you will surpass naysayers everyday when you pursue good things and become better.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 14th, 2017, 9:54 pm I wanted to just focus and ask every reason why Buddhism isn t good besides the obvious lacking priesthood keys but what's so bad about meditating and following 4 good principles about finding inner peace?
I hope you don't take offense, but this question indicates an immature pattern of thought. It suggests a belief that any choice is either good or bad. It's like asking why, given the choice between a Mexican restaurant and a pizza place, the pizza is so bad.

Buddhism is not necessarily bad. The idea that satisfying desires only brings temporary satisfaction or that pleasure doesn't last are truthful. But there is a much better alternative. Knowing the eternal truths that are only taught through revelation, having access to priesthood ordinances, and having the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ can bring us far greater levels of peace, happiness, and joy than any of the alternatives.

It isn't that Buddhism is bad; the real question is why it is not as good as or better than the New and Everlasting Covenant.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Buddhism isn't technically a religion, it doesn't focus on praising a God, there really is no God in Buddhism (sometimes there is but that's when its mixed with other religions as it is one to do in Asia) at its core it is about personal enlightenment, not praising an almighty.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 15th, 2017, 9:37 pm
brianj wrote: August 15th, 2017, 9:24 pm
I hope you don't take offense, but this question indicates an immature pattern of thought. It suggests a belief that any choice is either good or bad. It's like asking why, given the choice between a Mexican restaurant and a pizza place, the pizza is so bad.

Buddhism is not necessarily bad. The idea that satisfying desires only brings temporary satisfaction or that pleasure doesn't last are truthful. But there is a much better alternative. Knowing the eternal truths that are only taught through revelation, having access to priesthood ordinances, and having the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ can bring us far greater levels of peace, happiness, and joy than any of the alternatives.

It isn't that Buddhism is bad; the real question is why it is not as good as or better than the New and Everlasting Covenant.
I haven't made the New and everlasting covenant yet because I'm not sealed in the temple yet.
The New and Everlasting Covenant is often misunderstood as the temple sealing, which is a new and everlasting covenant but not THE new and everlasting covenant. Have you been baptized? Then you have already accepted the covenant. Paraphrasing Joseph Fielding Smith, the new and everlasting covenant is the gospel of Jesus Christ.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 15th, 2017, 9:37 pm
brianj wrote: August 15th, 2017, 9:24 pm

I haven't made the New and everlasting covenant yet because I'm not sealed in the temple yet.
The new and everlasting covenant is not marriage.

D&C 22:1. What Is the “New and Everlasting Covenant”?

The term new and everlasting covenant is used frequently throughout theDoctrine and Covenants. President Joseph Fielding Smith gave the following definition of it:

“The new and everlasting covenant is the fulness of the gospel. It is composed of ‘All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, oaths, vows, performances, connections, associations, or expectations’ that are sealed upon members of the Church by the Holy Spirit of promise, or the Holy Ghost, by the authority of the President of the Church who holds the keys.

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and ... t?lang=eng

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

Some of these seem like real misrepresentations or misinterpretations about Buddhist teachings and history. Buddhism (and there isn't just one flavor, but in general) does not teach abandonment of family or familial responsibilities. It does teach non-attachment, which could properly be interpreted as being un-possessive (opposite of co-dependent). In harmony with its teaching to do no harm (and thus avoid incurring negative karma/sin/debt), this leads to a very pure and perfect form of love that is non-possessive, truly unconditional and unselfish - much like our definition of Charity, the Pure Love of Christ. Just my view.