I love the prophet Joseph

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

I love the prophet Joseph

Post by drtanner »

Just wanted to share a few of the things I occasionally find about the prophet Joseph. I am so grateful for his life and the truths and keys he restored:

Heber C. Kimball told a story of Joseph Smith’s tenderness: “My (Heber’s) daughter had broken a saucer; her mother promised her a whipping, when she returned from a visit on which she was just starting; she went out under an apple tree and prayed that her mother’s heart might be softened, and . . . she might not whip her; although her mother was very punctual when she made a promise to her children to fulfill it, yet when she returned she had no disposition to chastise her child. Afterwards the child told her mother that she had prayed to God that she might not whip her. Joseph wept like a child on hearing this simple narrative and its application.”
Last edited by drtanner on August 14th, 2017, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Re: I love the prophet Jospeh

Post by Dave62 »

So do I, DRTanner, so do I. One day I will catch up with him, shake his hand and say thanks. BUT, I am so disappointed when people share their testimonies of Joseph Smith (which is appropriate) but neglect the Saviour (which is inappropriate). A testimony devoid of the Saviour is not a testimony but a mere statement of belief.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

I would hope those who love Jospeh would always acknowledge the debt of gratitude owed to him for what that has done for their personal relationship with Christ.

Here is another good one:

I heard Joseph . . . address his Maker as though He was present listening as a kind father would listen to the sorrows of a dutiful child. . . . I partook of the learning and eloquence of heaven. There was no ostentation, no raising of the voice as by enthusiasm, but a plain conversational tone, as a man would address a present friend.” —Daniel Tyler, Joseph Smith, the Man and the Seer,

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Dave62 wrote: August 14th, 2017, 4:50 am So do I, DRTanner, so do I. One day I will catch up with him, shake his hand and say thanks. BUT, I am so disappointed when people share their testimonies of Joseph Smith (which is appropriate) but neglect the Saviour (which is inappropriate). A testimony devoid of the Saviour is not a testimony but a mere statement of belief.
One thing that I really dislike is when people share their testimony of "the Saviour". I have seen this trend develop in the church over the past few years.
The man has a name!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I have read many books about Joseph Smith, including out of print books with his own personal writings (not including the Joseph Smith Papers). Truly he was a prophet, seer, translator and revelator.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

Robin Hood wrote: August 14th, 2017, 3:54 pm
Dave62 wrote: August 14th, 2017, 4:50 am So do I, DRTanner, so do I. One day I will catch up with him, shake his hand and say thanks. BUT, I am so disappointed when people share their testimonies of Joseph Smith (which is appropriate) but neglect the Saviour (which is inappropriate). A testimony devoid of the Saviour is not a testimony but a mere statement of belief.
One thing that I really dislike is when people share their testimony of "the Saviour". I have seen this trend develop in the church over the past few years.
The man has a name!
You are quite right Brother Hood. It was interesting for me to attend on a semi-regular basis, the local community church. Being a little bit evangelical, the people do a lot of praising Jesus directly. At first I found it a little confronting becuase of the frequent repitition of Jesus' name. I'm ok with it now, and I concur with you that maybe we need to increase in respectful and reverent mention of His sacred name

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: I love the prophet Joseph

Post by Silver »

Doctrine & Covenants 135:
6 Hyrum Smith was forty-four years old in February, 1844, and Joseph Smith was thirty-eight in December, 1843; and henceforward their names will be classed among the martyrs of religion; and the reader in every nation will be reminded that the Book of Mormon, and this book of Doctrine and Covenants of the church, cost the best blood of the nineteenth century to bring them forth for the salvation of a ruined world; and that if the fire can scathe a green tree for the glory of God, how easy it will burn up the dry trees to purify the vineyard of corruption. They lived for glory; they died for glory; and glory is their eternal reward. From age to age shall their names go down to posterity as gems for the sanctified.

The heading for this section of the D&C reads as follows:
Announcement of the martyrdom of Joseph Smith the Prophet and his brother, Hyrum Smith the Patriarch, at Carthage, Illinois, June 27, 1844. This document was included at the end of the 1844 edition of the Doctrine and Covenants, which was nearly ready for publication when Joseph and Hyrum Smith were murdered. (close quote)

The document has now been canonized. The canonization process turns a document into scripture and if it's scripture, we'll be judged by our adherence to its message. Since the best blood of the 19th century was spent bringing us the Book of Mormon, we reap destruction and a whirlwind if we don't abide by its teachings.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Re: I love the prophet Joseph

Post by e-eye2.0 »

I love the man as well. I was even named after him because my mom had such a great love for the man. Look forward to meeting him and many others who have sacrificed so much.