Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: How can I personally form a closer relationship with Heavenly Father?

Post by marc »

I have found that talking to Him and sharing my day with Him and asking questions and always giving thanks brings me closer to God. That and endeavoring continuously to keep His commandments and all His sayings.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

My personal prayers are seldom so formal as in "our Father," "thank you for..." "please bless..." "amen."

When my alarm goes off every morning, my first thought when the wheels in my head start turning is "Good morning, Father." If I had a dream or if He spoke to me that night, I will ask about it and ponder it the rest of the day/week. After I get out of bed when I say good morning, I get on my knees and express personal things or relate what I have learned in the scriptures and allow any thoughts from Him to enlighten me. After I'm done in the bathroom, I continue talking to Him about relevant things and then I get down on my knees again just before I head out the door and express more personal things. As I'm driving to work, I continue talking to Him and listening. I spend a lot more time listening, though. This continues throughout the day until at night my wife and I kneel together bedside and offer a more formal, intimate prayer. Then as I get under the covers, I express any final thoughts/questions and I say, "good night, Father." I've kept a log/journal over the years of things, which He has taught me and I have been working on finishing my personal record-a book of remembrance of all the things I have experienced in life and what the Lord has taught me and revealed to me for family members and very close friends.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Pray sincerely. So often people use vain repetitions and go through the motions without really trying to have a conversation.
Pray often.
Read your scriptures daily. When something piques your interest really study it.
Listening to music while driving is fun, but take some time to listen to something better. When I am going to work I listen to conference talks, Ensign articles, and New Era articles.
Go to the temple as often as circumstances permit. If you are not worthy of a temple recommend, work to become worthy.
Love others. Show that love through service. I have found this to be one of the most important things for me.
In your prayers ask Heavenly Father to help you become closer to him.

kathedralegs
captain of 100

Post by kathedralegs »

It's easier to have a personal relationship with our loving Father when we ask Him to show us the unbelief we have about Him. We overlay so many "human" qualities to Him that make it harder to relate with Him. He is loving, humorous, anxious to spend time with us if we will but invite Him. He is there always but much of the time we choose not to be conscious of that fact. Once we have some of our earthly notions set aside, we are freer to relate with Him and recognize His hand in all things. I have found that morning time spent in prayer, meditation and scripture study allows Him to manifest His hand in our day. As we show gratitude, eyes are opened to how much He loves us and shows us this love in innumerable ways. I have spent 50 of my 57 years on this earth struggling to develop a relationship and I can tell you that when you get rid of what you "think" you know and let Him teach you truth through the spirit, it is AMAZING and wonderful!!

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

I totally second all of these great suggestions. May I add my personal favourite....partake of the Sacrament meaningfully. If you strive to always remember Jesus and what He has done for you and your loved ones; if you desire to take Hi name upon yourself and be His representative in all times and places; and if you plead for Grace in keeping His commandments; then I absolutely promise you that you will grow closer with the Father through the Holy Spirit.

Confess your sins and weaknesses daily and beg for grace and mercy though the sacred blood of His Son

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I really like what Marc mentioned about essentially "praying always" and writing about spiritual experiences- helps to read when I'm feeling low.

Stillness seems to help me feel God. If I have time, I spiritually feast when I spend an hour or so, in nature. I can begin feeling agitated, angry etc, and leave feeling peaceful, joy and love for God, myself and others. But when I don't have time for that, I can just go outside or in another room alone and just think & pray about all I'm grateful for and I feel the spirit- a quick pick-me-up.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I've been having great success by focusing on forgiveness lately. I decided a while ago to forgive everyone of everything that caused me unhappiness in my lifetime. As I forgive others, the Lord shows me where I went astray as well and I'm able to repent of those things. So much peace and joy has filled my life. Of course, when you have peace and joy in life, you inevitably feel close to God as well.

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

Following the commandments will bring you closer to God. Lying to get a temple recommend will not.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Talk to him as if he's actually listening as a man in front of you. It makes it more personal, more respectful in a real way and helps you to treat/view the conversation as more intimate. I find that having respect is needed but treating God like he's so untouchable tends to create an unhealthy disconnect. I know many say that we need to address God as the supreme being that he is but I tend to address him as a real father who loves me and wants to help and hear about my life.

This helps me.