Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Tithing and fast offerings are so important

Post by MMbelieve »

cyclOps wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 12:30 pm
MMbelieve wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 10:26 am
cyclOps wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 10:15 am
ajax wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 9:00 am Heaven forbid people govern themselves.

We need rules [Insert Obrien's favorite curse word here]!

We MUST be commanded in all things. Uniformity. Compliancy. That way, we don't have to deal with the annoyance of others doing things differently than ourselves.

"Please, please, tell me what this word means" (hot, interest, etc)
Man should govern himself, but there has to be a standard to which he governs. Whether it's his own or God's, or something else, there is a standard. The problem is trying to govern according to God's standard and not our own or someone else's.
The church leaves it up to the member to decide himself. Like the temple recommend interview, it is up to the member to decide if he is worthy to attend after a series of questions (the standard). There is no series of questions when asked if you paid a full tithe. People just want a standard and it isint given as clearly as we would like. That doesn't mean we need to be governed in all things, it means we want to know the standard so we can be sure to meet it.

But based on how things are done, it doesn't seem that important. But I always thought it was. If its.considered fire insurrance and the windows.of heaven will open to you, it would be nice to know if one is meeting that sufficiently without pouring the funds into the church as insurrance just in case.
I'm not confused on what tithing standard I should follow. I've had the windows of heaven opened upon my family many times by paying tithing so I feel like I'm doing what is expected by God.
That's great. Can I ask how you developed the rule or method you pay your tithing by?

I'm not contesting as I have also been blessed to have a testimony of tithing from a very young age.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Ultimately, tithing is between you and the Lord, period, and the FP statement from the '70's is the last one on the subject where they state as much. The scriptures (D&C 119 exclusively) is quite clear on tithing being 10% of one's surplus, however, try teaching at church that tithing is 10% of our discretionary income and see what happens. :-ss

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Col. Flagg wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 1:26 pm
cyclOps wrote: August 1st, 2017, 11:33 pm
Col. Flagg wrote: August 1st, 2017, 11:27 pm
scottja wrote: August 1st, 2017, 10:08 pm I believe that the man in the basement should consider the free room and utilities as increase and also tithe on the market value of those.
The man who is married has a tithing requirement of $30 while the man who is single has (say his car payment is $200 and auto insurance is $100) has a tithing requirement of $270.
So the more bills I decide to rack up the less tithing I have to pay?
:)) Nope, sorry, doesn't work like that. Do some research into this topic and then return and report.
No, thank you.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

MMbelieve wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 1:27 pm
cyclOps wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 12:30 pm
MMbelieve wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 10:26 am
cyclOps wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 10:15 am

Man should govern himself, but there has to be a standard to which he governs. Whether it's his own or God's, or something else, there is a standard. The problem is trying to govern according to God's standard and not our own or someone else's.
The church leaves it up to the member to decide himself. Like the temple recommend interview, it is up to the member to decide if he is worthy to attend after a series of questions (the standard). There is no series of questions when asked if you paid a full tithe. People just want a standard and it isint given as clearly as we would like. That doesn't mean we need to be governed in all things, it means we want to know the standard so we can be sure to meet it.

But based on how things are done, it doesn't seem that important. But I always thought it was. If its.considered fire insurrance and the windows.of heaven will open to you, it would be nice to know if one is meeting that sufficiently without pouring the funds into the church as insurrance just in case.
I'm not confused on what tithing standard I should follow. I've had the windows of heaven opened upon my family many times by paying tithing so I feel like I'm doing what is expected by God.
That's great. Can I ask how you developed the rule or method you pay your tithing by?

I'm not contesting as I have also been blessed to have a testimony of tithing from a very young age.
Teachings of modern prophets, apostles, and priesthood leaders.