Have we neglected the Word of Wisdom?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
lemuel
Operating Thetan

Re: Have we neglected the Word of Wisdom?

Post by lemuel »

Arenera wrote: July 31st, 2017, 2:25 pm An extended version of Neal Barnard taking about reversing diabetes. Too much fat impacts cells and creates Insulin Resistance. Fat from meat, dairy and oils. A whole plant based lifestyle is the solution.
What causes insulin? Glucose. What foods contain glucose? Carbs.

I've lost 40 lbs this year on a high-fat low-carb (ketogenic) diet this year. My A1C has gone from 5.8 to 4.7 (>6.0 is pre-diabetes, >7.0 is diabetes). And I have tons more energy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/keto_in_a_nutshell

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

lemuel wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 6:33 pm
Arenera wrote: July 31st, 2017, 2:25 pm An extended version of Neal Barnard taking about reversing diabetes. Too much fat impacts cells and creates Insulin Resistance. Fat from meat, dairy and oils. A whole plant based lifestyle is the solution.

I've lost 40 lbs this year on a high-fat low-carb (ketogenic) diet this year. My A1C has gone from 5.8 to 4.7 (>6.0 is pre-diabetes, >7.0 is diabetes). And I have tons more energy.

The scriptures back up the idea that one is skinnier on a ketogenic diet, but not healthier. Daniel and his friends who refused the kings meat were "fatter of flesh" but much wiser.

A ketogenic diet (any high protein low/no carb diet that goes by a variety of names) causes you to lose weight as the extra keytones produced poison your body and whatever water you may have is used to flush them out. Once you go back to any kind of other diet the weight ( water) returns. If you stay on a ketogenic diet long term you can expect serious health concerns to arise. Ketogenics is a part of diabetes as well.

If you feel better it likely has more to do with discontinuing junk carbs like white bread and sugar than the ketogenic nature of the diet. If you had given up processed food and sugar and eaten real food and whole grains you would still experience the benefits of better health without the downsides of a ketogenic diet.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Amazing results with a Whole Food Plant-Strong Lifestyle
Reversing Diabetes

Some 50-75% of insulin-using type 2 diabetics and 80-90% of those on pills...
could normalize their blood sugars and be off medication within weeks --
if they changed their diet.

Prof. James Anderson MD. Lima Linda SPH Convention, 1980
Here is a link to Mastering Diabetes Summit with expert presentations and videos. You can register, you don't have to pay $97, you have 7 days to review the presentations for free.

Mastering Diabetes Summit

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

Michelle wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 7:37 pm

The scriptures back up the idea that one is skinnier on a ketogenic diet, but not healthier. Daniel and his friends who refused the kings meat were "fatter of flesh" but much wiser.

A ketogenic diet (any high protein low/no carb diet that goes by a variety of names) causes you to lose weight as the extra keytones produced poison your body and whatever water you may have is used to flush them out. Once you go back to any kind of other diet the weight ( water) returns. If you stay on a ketogenic diet long term you can expect serious health concerns to arise. Ketogenics is a part of diabetes as well.

If you feel better it likely has more to do with discontinuing junk carbs like white bread and sugar than the ketogenic nature of the diet. If you had given up processed food and sugar and eaten real food and whole grains you would still experience the benefits of better health without the downsides of a ketogenic diet.

Diets...are complicated I suppose.

Ketosis =/= Ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis can be a serious complication for people with Type 1 diabetes or liver cirrhosis. No reason to believe ketones are poison. They are a perfectly fine source of fuel.

Weight loss from water weight is from the liver depleting its glycogen stores. Glycogen is bonded with water, so when starting a diet (really, any diet), you can lose 5 lbs the first week or so as your glycogen is depleted. Those 1st 5 lbs would be regained quickly as glycogen is built up. Beyond that, it can't all be water weight that is lost-- people can't lose 40 lbs of water and live.

I can't say if I would've lost 40 lbs on a whole grain diet--I don't have the discipline for a low calorie, low-fat diet. I'm just too hungry. I've found a ketogenic diet to be quite easy. I don't see much downside to it. It's a strict diet; there's a lot of tasty things I can't have. But all the things I get to eat taste awesome. Ribeye. Bacon. Macadamia nuts. Ribs. And leafy greens taste pretty good sauteed in bacon fat.

If one is worried about cholesterol, here's a pretty long read on it:
http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the- ... rol-part-i

But if vegan works for you, you should definitely stick with it. I admire your willpower.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Dairy is not good for us.

Dairy Doubts

Doctor Michael Klaper: "Cow’s milk is baby calf growth fluid."

“Dairy Doubts” Contents:
– Introduction
– What we’re told about dairy products…
– The purpose of cow’s milk
– If you’re trying to lose weight…
– Reality Check
– Estrogens in cow’s milk…
– Dairy and Prostate Cancer
– Dairy and Ovarian Cancer
– Dairy and Acne
– Plant-Based Diets in Treatment of Asthma
– Dairy and Various Medical Conditions
– Cheese (congealed, fermented butterfat)
– “The Cheese Trap” by Neal Barnard, MD
– Where cow’s milk really comes from…
– Today’s commercial dairy industry…
– Are you really that hungry?
– Healthy Calcium Sources
– Dairy and Environmental Pollution
– Look in the mirror…
– Delicious alternatives (in moderation)…
– What about your bones?
– Osteoporosis is NOT a calcium deficiency
– Healthy Bones
– Summary & Suggestions

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Arenera wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 12:50 pm

Sorry, that wasn't my story. Maybe in the future. I'm a new healthy-low-fat vegan.
Maybe that is the problem. Many of us walked this road years ago. Read the same books, watched the same videos, tried the same diets. Found the flaws and realized that all we need to know is already in the scriptures. The Word of Wisdom yes, absolutely. Any questions or concerns about the details are answered in the scriptures as well: Old Testament, New Testament, Doctrine and Covenants and the Book of Mormon.

The creative readings of what might be said on the Word of Wisdom will not help you. Take the Lord at his word. Literally. He means what he says.

Part of the problem with reading so many books on health is that we try to fit the things we learn from the world into the Word of Wisdom and see things that aren't there. Try a clean slate. Get rid of any of the things you think you learned from the other books (even written by LDS authors) and only do what the Lord actually says in the scriptures or specifically stated by prophets and apostles. Current leaders over past. I can testify that He meant what he said. I have been healed of many health problems by following the actual Word of Wisdom.

If you do this, you will be amazed at how many scriptures there are related to food, health and wisdom. Read the book of Daniel and well as scriptures about Daniel. The connection between proper food (the kinds of food and the timing of eating) and the Spirit is strong.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

lemuel wrote: August 3rd, 2017, 6:56 pm
Michelle wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 7:37 pm

Diets...are complicated I suppose.

Ketosis =/= Ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis can be a serious complication for people with Type 1 diabetes or liver cirrhosis. No reason to believe ketones are poison. They are a perfectly fine source of fuel.

Weight loss from water weight is from the liver depleting its glycogen stores. Glycogen is bonded with water, so when starting a diet (really, any diet), you can lose 5 lbs the first week or so as your glycogen is depleted. Those 1st 5 lbs would be regained quickly as glycogen is built up. Beyond that, it can't all be water weight that is lost-- people can't lose 40 lbs of water and live.

I can't say if I would've lost 40 lbs on a whole grain diet--I don't have the discipline for a low calorie, low-fat diet. I'm just too hungry. I've found a ketogenic diet to be quite easy. I don't see much downside to it. It's a strict diet; there's a lot of tasty things I can't have. But all the things I get to eat taste awesome. Ribeye. Bacon. Macadamia nuts. Ribs. And leafy greens taste pretty good sauteed in bacon fat.

If one is worried about cholesterol, here's a pretty long read on it:
http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the- ... rol-part-i

But if vegan works for you, you should definitely stick with it. I admire your willpower.
I am not a vegan. I believe in following the Word of Wisdom as it is written. When I need further clarification I look first in the standard works and the clarifications given by prophets. I follow modern prophets over past prophets.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Michelle wrote: August 4th, 2017, 11:02 am
Arenera wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 12:50 pm

Sorry, that wasn't my story. Maybe in the future. I'm a new healthy-low-fat vegan.
Maybe that is the problem. Many of us walked this road years ago. Read the same books, watched the same videos, tried the same diets. Found the flaws and realized that all we need to know is already in the scriptures. The Word of Wisdom yes, absolutely. Any questions or concerns about the details are answered in the scriptures as well: Old Testament, New Testament, Doctrine and Covenants and the Book of Mormon.

The creative readings of what might be said on the Word of Wisdom will not help you. Take the Lord at his word. Literally. He means what he says.

Part of the problem with reading so many books on health is that we try to fit the things we learn from the world into the Word of Wisdom and see things that aren't there. Try a clean slate. Get rid of any of the things you think you learned from the other books (even written by LDS authors) and only do what the Lord actually says in the scriptures or specifically stated by prophets and apostles. Current leaders over past. I can testify that He meant what he said. I have been healed of many health problems by following the actual Word of Wisdom.

If you do this, you will be amazed at how many scriptures there are related to food, health and wisdom. Read the book of Daniel and well as scriptures about Daniel. The connection between proper food (the kinds of food and the timing of eating) and the Spirit is strong.
This is how I read the Word of Wisdom:
The Greeting, Revelation, Temporal Salvation

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—

3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

The Warning

4 Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation—

Pleasing God

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

The Whole Foods Plant Based Diet

10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—

11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

14 All grain is ordained for the use of man

16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—

The Promise, Blessing

18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.

21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.
Nothing is said about dairy, or about processed oils, so it is good to check what our current understanding is (science).

Since the Word of Wisdom came out in 1833, you could say that Healthy Vegan, whole food plant based and low fat, corresponds completely with the Word of Wisdom.

It pleases God when we don't eat meat. There is nothing wrong with eating fruits, plants and vegetables that come from South America when North America is in winter.

This is a nice scripture from Mosiah 9:
9 And we began to till the ground, yea, even with all manner of seeds, with seeds of corn, and of wheat, and of barley, and with neas, and with sheum, and with seeds of all manner of fruits; and we did begin to multiply and prosper in the land.

Notice the multiplying and prosper linked with grains, vegetables and fruits.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

Michelle wrote: August 4th, 2017, 11:09 am
I am not a vegan. I believe in following the Word of Wisdom as it is written. When I need further clarification I look first in the standard works and the clarifications given by prophets. I follow modern prophets over past prophets.

Sorry, had the wrong vegan. Glad your diet is working for you anyway.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Marc Ramirez reverses his Type 2 diabetes!

http://www.chickpeaandbean.com/
I grew up at the tip of southern Texas with four brothers and three sisters. When I was eight years old, my father abandoned our family and my mother struggled to raise eight children on her own. In search of better employment, she decided to move us to the Chicago area in 1982. In high school I thrived as a healthy athlete and earned a football scholarship to The University of Michigan. In those days I could eat whatever I wanted and did not have health or weight issues because I was so physically active. At twenty-one years old I was 6’2″ and weighed 305 pounds.

During my years as a young adult I witnessed my mother’s battle with diabetes and its complications. She suffered from kidney failure, vision problems, and heart disease. She underwent a kidney transplant donated by my sister Jill. Jill is my only sibling who has not been diagnosed with diabetes, but she too felt its impact as she bravely donated a kidney to our mother. After over 33 years of fighting diabetes, my mother passed in April 2002 (she was the family rock and I miss her dearly). If that were not bad enough, my oldest brother David passed in June 2002, just 2 months after my mother, due to pancreatic cancer. My oldest sister, Carol, struggled with diabetes too, but she she started eating mostly plant-based and eliminated her medications. My twin brother, Joe, has battled diabetes for over a decade and just two months ago suffered a heart attack. Sandra, my youngest sister also has type 2 diabetes. Martin, our youngest sibling, suffers greatly from this terrible disease. He has had a pancreas and kidney transplant, is legally blind, had his right leg amputated, goes to dialysis three times a week, and takes 25 medications every day.

As the years progressed, I also found myself having high Hemoglobin A1C levels. The Hemoglobin A1C test is a blood result that diabetics are familiar with. It measures the average sugar levels in your blood over a 2-3 month timeframe. It indicates how much sugar remains in your blood and ultimately determines if doctors will consider you diabetic and begin prescribing medications. The current A1C range for a non-diabetic is between 4 and 5.7. I began taking the diabetes medication Metformin in 2004. My A1C level back in 2002 was 8.8 and ultimately rose to as high as 10.5 in September 2011. This is the point at which my doctor prescribed insulin injections (Lantus) and I had already been taking 4 oral medications for years — Metformin (for diabetes), Januvia (for diabetes), Simvastatin (for high cholesterol), and Lisinopril (for high blood pressure). Below is a picture of the medications I was taking in 2011. I included 2 pictures so you can see my name and then another that shows the dates on the prescriptions.

As my A1c levels gradually rose over the years, I tried to improve my health by dieting, exercising more, and cutting carbs. Unfortunately, these strategies did not stop the progression of diabetes. Later I learned that carbs are not the enemy—fat is. Eventually my doctor told me that I had to begin injecting insulin daily. I found myself feeling very frustrated and helpless. For years I had witnessed the suffering from diabetes in my family, and I saw myself as destined to walk down the same path.

It seemed like there was no cure and that diabetes was just something the members of my family had to deal with. I remember asking my doctor if I would ever stop taking the insulin injections and his response was “No.” This really pissed me off. But hey, what should I expect? I am Hispanic and belong to a culture that has a high percentage of diabetics. And my family was filled with diabetics, so I should just accept the fact that I was predisposed to having the disease.
In autumn of 2011 my in-laws gave Kim and I a copy of the dvd Forks Over Knives. It sat in our home for a few months before we watched it. One day, feeling somewhat hopeless about my diabetes, Kim and I decided to watch Forks Over Knives. This video was so inspirational that after watching it I felt I had to give it a try. The documentary was well done and it just made sense. I also purchased the book Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes. Between watching Forks Over Knives and reading Dr. Neal Barnard’s Progam for Reversing Diabetes, Kim and I decided to try this way of eating. On 12-3-2011 we both began our whole food, plant based diet and my life and health has not been the same since. I follow three basic guidelines for eating: I eat no animal products, I eat low fat foods, and I avoid high glycemic foods. I enjoy foods such as oatmeal with cinnamon and raisins, pasta prima vera with marinara sauce, bean burritos with jalepeno peppers, veggie subs, veggie burgers, and plenty of fruits and vegetables such as strawberries and sweet potatoes. (Notice that this is not a low carb diet. I enjoy a lot of complex carbs. Carbs are not the enemy. High fat foods are. Fat gets in cells and prevents insulin and glucose from working properly.)

In less than 2 months I was off of all my medications and have been medication free for over 3 years. It has been over 3 years since I began my new lifestyle and I am proud to say that I am no longer diabetic. When I began this journey I weighed 254 pounds and today I weigh what I weighed in 7th grade–207 pounds.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Vibrant health and a lower grocery bill!

Dr. McDougall’s Website https://www.drmcdougall.com/

Treating Obesity with a Low Fat, Starch Based Diet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrzMdIKmhiY

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Breaking the Obesity Plague

"A fat kid never has a good day at school."

Chef AJ's story is incredible. Please listen to it!

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

The Best Diet and Lifestyle

Whole-food, Plant-Based, don't smoke and don't drink. God gave this to us in 1833. It is time to follow all of the Word of Wisdom.

An Introduction to a Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet
image001.png
image001.png (295.22 KiB) Viewed 851 times
image003.png
image003.png (281.28 KiB) Viewed 851 times
image002.png
image002.png (227.25 KiB) Viewed 851 times

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Start being healthy now!

Milk is associated with prostate cancer and Alzheimer's. Animal products with heart disease.

Mayor Ed Smith reversed his prostate cancer by eating whole-food plant-based.

BRMC
captain of 10

Post by BRMC »

I raise more meat on my farm than veggies. All natural, no chemicals, home smoked. Just like they did 200 years ago.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

BRMC wrote: August 11th, 2017, 6:34 pm I raise more meat on my farm than veggies. All natural, no chemicals, home smoked. Just like they did 200 years ago.
You would be a great poster person for the Paleo's!

From President Benson, 1979, "In His Steps"
To a great extent we are physically what we eat.

Most of us are acquainted with some of the prohibitions, such as no tea, coffee, tobacco, or alcohol.

What need additional emphasis are the positive aspects—the need for vegetables, fruits, and grains, particularly wheat. In most cases, the closer these can be, when eaten, to their natural state— without overrefinement and processing—the healthier we will be.

To a significant degree, we are an overfed and undernourished nation digging an early grave with our teeth, and lacking the energy that could be ours because we overindulge in junk foods. I am grateful to know that on this campus you can get apples from vending machines, that you have in your student center a fine salad bar, and that you produce an excellent loaf of natural whole-grain bread. Keep it up and keep progressing in that direction.

We need a generation of young people who, as Daniel, eat in a more healthy manner than to fare on the “king’s meat”—and whose countenances show it (see Daniel 1).

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Guidelines for Whole-Plant Based-Diet from Ann Esselstyn.
by Ann Crile EsselstynSeptember 3, 2014 7:32 AM
12 Essential Guidelines For Eating A Plant-Perfect Diet

So many years ago when my husband, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, published research that showed the power of plant-based, no-oil nutrition to arrest and reverse heart disease, I became the cook and our children the recipients of a plant-based diet. Since then, eating plant based has become part of who we all are, and none of us would ever look back with longing at the world of meat, grease and oil.

I wrote the recipes in my husband’s book, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, and our daughter, Jane, wrote the recipes in our son Rip’s second book, My Beef with Meat. With heart disease patients in mind, Jane and I have teamed up and written The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook.

We want to share with you some of the things we have learned along the way and most specifically what we recommend for those with heart disease or type 2 diabetes or for anyone who wants to lose weight.

Here's our 12-step plan for plant-perfect eating.

1. Eat no meat, pork, fish, fowl.

No flesh. None. Every cell in an animal is made of cholesterol. All meat also has saturated fat and animal protein. And research suggests that digesting meat releases a byproduct, trimethylamine oxide (TMAO), that's an even stronger predictor of heart disease than cholesterol. Avoid highly processed fake vegan and soy “meats” because they have a lot of oil in them.

2. Consume no dairy products.

Like meat, all dairy products contain cholesterol, saturated fat, animal protein, and casein. The protein in dairy is one of the most rel¬evant carcinogens identified. Avoid all highly processed vegan and soy cheeses, which are made with a lot of oil and often have added casein!

3. Eliminate oil!

Get rid of all the oil in your cupboards, even if it’s virgin olive oil, so that you can’t use it. Instead of using oil when you stir-fry and sauté vegetables, you can use vegetable broth (no sodium added), water, wine, beer, or vinegar. They all work well. Instead of relying on oil when you bake, use applesauce, apple butter without sugar, puréed prunes, or mashed ripe bananas. Balsamic vinegars are delicious on salad and the flavor-infused ones are stunningly good.

4. Eat whole-grain oats.

Old-fashioned rolled oats or steel-cut oats are good choices. Avoid the more processed “quick-cooking” or “instant” oats. Enjoy whole-grain oats for breakfast any way you can — either as oatmeal or a cold cereal with nondairy milk and fruit, or in the batter for waffles or pancakes.

5. Eat whole grains.

Be sure the word "whole" is in front of wheat or rye in the ingredient list. And be sure the word brown is in front of rice. If you don’t see “whole” in front of the grain on a bread label, it’s likely made with white flour fancied up to sound impressive. Many wonderful whole-grain products are available in the cooler section and the frozen food aisle.

6. Eat greens, especially leafy greens, as well as all the symphony of rainbow-colored vegetables.

Cooked or raw, vegetables are king! Make leafy greens — like kale, collards, and Swiss chard — the nest on which you put your food, mix greens directly into your food, or pile greens on the side of your plate. Mix greens into soup.

If you’re making pasta, add small pieces of kale or other leafy greens to the pot four minutes before the pasta is done then drain the whole pot, and you have a meal ready to go. Use collard leaves instead of burritos in a wrap. Roll a collard green up like a sushi roll. Mix a bunch of greens into pasta sauce and spread it on your whole wheat, no-oil pizza crust, then top with veggies — but, of course, no cheese.

7. Eat beans and lentils!

All beans and lentils are delicious and filling, and are healthy protein sources. Try red lentils in soup. They cook quickly and give the soup a nice color. Put beans in salads. Our hummus, which is made without tahini or oil, has become our “mayonnaise” for spreading on sandwiches, and is our favorite dip for vegetables and crackers. It’s even an ingredient in our favorite salad dressing.

Our main party dish is brown rice and black beans piled high with chopped tomatoes, thawed frozen corn, chopped scallions, water chestnuts, cilantro, chopped arugula, chopped peppers, and topped with salsa.

8. Avoid sugar as much as possible.

Always avoid drinking fruit juice. Eat the whole fruit instead. Read labels and avoid added sugars. Don’t get caught up thinking one sugar is better than another. Avoid them all as much as possible. Save sweets for birthdays or special holiday treats. Instead, put grapes in your freezer for an amazing sweet treat, or freeze bananas or mangoes and blend them in a high-speed blender or a “Yonanas” machine for delicious dairy-free “ice cream.”

Also, a little fruit or dried fruit added to a dish can really help sweeten it up. We use pure maple syrup in some recipes because it has the smallest amount of fructose of all sweeteners.

9. Avoid salt as much as possible.

Look at the government label for the amount of salt (sodium) in a product. No added salt is ideal, or aim for the salt content being equal to the calorie content or less. Instead of salt, add vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice, or low-sodium hot sauces for flavor. You will lose your taste for salt before you know it. Gourmet salts like Celtic salt and sea salt are no better. Don’t get caught up thinking one is better than another. Avoid them all as much as possible.

10. Steer clear of nuts, avocado, and coconut.

Instead, use 1 to 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds or chia seeds daily on cereal or in salads — both are excellent for omega-3 fatty acids. An occasional sprinkling of sesame seeds is fine.

11. Drink water!

You can’t go wrong with water. You'll save thousands of dollars and thousands of calories by just drinking water. Absolutely never drink sodas, artificially sweetened or not. Avoid smoothies. Don’t drink your calories; chew them. You can flavor water, soda water, or seltzer water with a splash of orange or apple juice occasionally, but never drink juice by the glass on a regular basis!

12. Read food labels, especially the ingredients.

You'll be surprised how often products that claim to have “zero fat” will list oil among their ingredients. The government allows anything under .5 grams of fat to be labeled fat free. Even products labeled trans fat free can have trans fat in them if you see partially hydrogenated oil as an ingredient! Shocking. Be vigilant!

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Australian bodybuilder with rare disorder dies eating high-protein diet

Just follow a whole-food plant-based lifestyle. No extra protein needed. :)
(CNN)Meegan Hefford, a 25-year-old bodybuilder, was found unconscious on June 19 in her Mandurah, Western Australia, apartment, according to CNN affiliate Australia News 7. Days later, Hefford was pronounced dead. Only after her death did her family learn that Hefford, the mother of a 7-year-old girl and a 5-year-old boy, had a rare genetic disorder that prevented her body from properly metabolizing her high-protein diet.

Urea cycle disorder, which causes a deficiency of one enzyme in the urea cycle, stops the body from breaking down protein, according to the nonprofit National Urea Cycle Disorders Foundation. Normally, the body can remove nitrogen, a waste product of protein metabolism, from the blood. However, a urea cycle disorder would prohibit this. Therefore, nitrogen, in the form of toxic ammonia, would accumulate in the blood and eventually reach the brain, where it can cause irreversible damage, coma and death.

"The enzyme deficiency can be mild enough so that the person is able to detoxify ammonia adequately -- until there's a trigger," said Cynthia Le Mons, executive director of the foundation. The trigger could be a viral illness, stress or a high-protein diet, she added.

"There was just no way of knowing she had it because they don't routinely test for it," said Michelle White, Hefford's mother and a resident of Perth. "She started to feel unwell, and she collapsed." White blames protein shakes for her daughter's death.

'Nuanced symptoms'
Since 2014, Hefford, who worked at Princess Margaret Hospital for Children and studied paramedicine, had been competing as a bodybuilder.

It was only after Hefford's death that White discovered containers of protein supplements in her daughter's kitchen, along with a strict food plan. White understood then that her daughter, who had been preparing for another bodybuilding competition, had also been consuming an unbalanced diet.

Hefford was eating "way too much protein," said White, which triggered her daughter's unknown urea cycle condition. (For most healthy people, a high-protein diet, when followed for a short time, generally isn't harmful, according to the Mayo Clinic.) Hefford's diet included protein-rich foods, such as lean meat and egg white, in addition to protein shakes and supplements, her mother said.

"There's medical advice on the back of all the supplements to seek out a doctor, but how many young people actually do?" White asked.

Le Mons said, "typically, there are nuanced symptoms that just go unrecognized" with mild cases of urea cycle disorder. Symptoms include episodes of a lack of concentration, being very tired and vomiting.

"Sometimes, people think it's the flu and might even go to the ER thinking they have a really bad flu," Le Mons said, adding that a simple serum ammonia level test, which can detect the condition, is not routinely done in ERs.

It's unclear whether Hefford suffered symptoms of her condition. White, who hopes her daughter's story will serve as a warning to help save lives, believes protein supplements need more regulation.

The Australian Medical Association says there's no real health benefit to such supplements. And, while they may not be necessary for most people, they're not dangerous to most, either.

Treatment
The estimated incidence of urea cycle disorders is 1 in 8,500 births. Since many cases remain undiagnosed, the exact incidence is unknown and believed to be underestimated.

"There's a myth that this disorder only affects children," Le Mons said, noting that one patient reached age 85 before diagnosis.
Regarding Hefford, Le Mons said that "this is not the first time this has happened." Other athletes, who like Hefford were unaware of their condition, have died when a high-protein diet triggered their condition.

Though there is no cure for urea cycle disorder, a balanced diet is all that is needed for some patients, according to the National Urea Cycle Disorders Foundation. Treatment may include supplementation with special amino acid formulas, while in some more severe cases, one of two forms of an FDA-approved drug may be prescribed. When these therapies fail, liver transplant may become necessary.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

The Rice Diet

Interesting information on the diet that helped seriously ill patients at Duke University.

Walter Kempner

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

What to eat from Dr. Joel Fuhrman:
At least 90 percent of your diet should be from whole plant foods such as the following:

Green vegetables—including kale, Swiss chard, broccoli, artichokes, string beans, asparagus, spinach, cabbage, lettuce, snow peas, and peas

Yellow/ orange vegetables—including carrots, butternut squash, winter squash, spaghetti squash, sweet potato, and corn Beans/ legumes—including chickpeas, red kidney beans, lentils, and adzuki beans

Fresh fruits—including blueberries, strawberries, kiwis, apples, oranges, grapes, pears, watermelon, and pomegranates (Eat dried fruits, including raisins and dates, only in small amounts.)

Nonstarchy vegetables—including eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, and onions Raw nuts and seeds—including pistachios, filberts, almonds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, chia seeds, and flaxseeds

Intact grains—including steel cut oats, millet, wild rice, buckwheat groats, and hulled barley

Minimally processed grain or bean products—including sprouted breads, flaked or rolled grains (oatmeal), bean pasta, tofu, tempeh, unsweetened soy or nut milks in moderate quantities

You should also eliminate two things from your diet: Eliminate or severely limit animal products. If using animal products (strive to keep to less than 10 ounces a week), use only wild, low-mercury seafood or naturally raised fowl. Animal products are best used in very small amounts as flavor enhancers or as a condiment, not as a main dish.

Eliminate all refined grains and sweeteners. Avoid all white flour products, white rice, processed/ cold breakfast cereals, sugar, and other sweetening agents.
THE NUTRITARIAN DIET VERSUS THE STANDARD AMERICAN DIET NUTRITARIAN DIET SAD
Nutritarian
Vegetable-based
Lots of fruit, beans, seeds, nuts
Oil used sparingly
Animal products 0 to 3 times a week
Nutrient-dense calories

SAD
Grain-based
Lots of dairy and meat
Oils comprise major caloric load
Animal products 2 to 4 times a day
Nutrient-poor calories
F4074092-A34A-4736-80BB-C3B1E411036C-4183-000009855D5B712F.jpeg
F4074092-A34A-4736-80BB-C3B1E411036C-4183-000009855D5B712F.jpeg (75.57 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Living the Word of Wisdom (whatever that might mean) doesn't save us. In the end, its not what we put in our mouths that matter, its what comes out of it. At the end, there will be plenty of folks who's bodies were beautiful and healthy, but their spirits are filthy and putrid and plenty of folks who's bodies were weak and sick, yet their spirits are glorious and good.

Being physically healthy so that you can bring about God's purposes is a good thing, but it is just a small part and not an absolute necessity when it come to who will be saved in the celestial kingdom of God. Being "healthier" than another person doesn't make you a morally better person. Or, said another way, there is no demonstrated correlation between physical health and moral character.

-Finrock

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Finrock wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 3:39 pm Living the Word of Wisdom (whatever that might mean) doesn't save us. In the end, its not what we put in our mouths that matter, its what comes out of it. At the end, there will be plenty of folks who's bodies were beautiful and healthy, but their spirits are filthy and putrid and plenty of folks who's bodies were weak and sick, yet their spirits are glorious and good.

Being physically healthy so that you can bring about God's purposes is a good thing, but it is just a small part and not an absolute necessity when it come to who will be saved in the celestial kingdom of God. Being "healthier" than another person doesn't make you a morally better person. Or, said another way, there is no demonstrated correlation between physical health and moral character.

-Finrock
Christ disagrees with you:
18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

19 And shall find bwisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.
As a second witness, read Daniel 1. You can be 10 times better, but you have to follow the Word of Wisdom.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Arenera wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 3:54 pm
Finrock wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 3:39 pm Living the Word of Wisdom (whatever that might mean) doesn't save us. In the end, its not what we put in our mouths that matter, its what comes out of it. At the end, there will be plenty of folks who's bodies were beautiful and healthy, but their spirits are filthy and putrid and plenty of folks who's bodies were weak and sick, yet their spirits are glorious and good.

-Finrock
Christ disagrees with you:

19 And shall find bwisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

As a second witness, read Daniel 1. You can be 10 times better, but you have to follow the Word of Wisdom.
:)) No, you disagree with me.

-Finrock

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

The CHIP Program

CHIP: Complete Health Improvement Program
http://www.chiphealth.com/

I know someone whose company provides The CHIP Program to their employees. This is a Whole-Food Plant-Based lifestyle that really helps people on blood pressure, cholesterol, blood glucose and BMI.

Videos