Avraham Gileadi - Favorite Book?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Avraham Gileadi - Favorite Book?

Post by iWriteStuff »

I ordered up three Avraham Gileadi books today: The Literary Message of Isaiah, The End from the Beginning, and Isaiah Decoded. I've perused some of his works before, listened to some audio, but haven't performed the deep dive yet.

Does anyone have a recommendation on which book to read first? And if not one of these three, which one should I target first? The plan is to read them all, naturally, but I want a good starting point.

mcusick
captain of 100

Re: Avraham Gileadi - Favorite Book?

Post by mcusick »

I have only read 'The Literary Message of Isaiah' and 'The Last Days'; both were excellent.

I think 'The Literary Message of Isaiah' is considered more advanced than his other books on Isaiah, so you may want to read it last (though I didn't think it was notably difficult reading).

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

iWriteStuff wrote: July 25th, 2017, 11:25 am I ordered up three Avraham Gileadi books today: The Literary Message of Isaiah, The End from the Beginning, and Isaiah Decoded. I've perused some of his works before, listened to some audio, but haven't performed the deep dive yet.

Does anyone have a recommendation on which book to read first? And if not one of these three, which one should I target first? The plan is to read them all, naturally, but I want a good starting point.
How about u read isaiah decoded with his apocaliptic commentary and the make a huge and thorough post regarding most important and relevant to last days doctrines? Id love to do it but im to lazy i-) #:-s :D

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

dafty wrote: July 25th, 2017, 12:33 pm
iWriteStuff wrote: July 25th, 2017, 11:25 am I ordered up three Avraham Gileadi books today: The Literary Message of Isaiah, The End from the Beginning, and Isaiah Decoded. I've perused some of his works before, listened to some audio, but haven't performed the deep dive yet.

How about u read isaiah decoded with his apocaliptic commentary and the make a huge and thorough post regarding most important and relevant to last days doctrines? Id love to do it but im to lazy i-) #:-s :D
By a strange coincidence, that's where I started.... Reviews on Amazon pointed towards it as the central book, with the main points... That being said, I know it's somewhere in the middle of his library rather than at the beginning, which makes me wonder if it's the best place to start. Either way, I'm in it now! Really really good stuff so far, too... :-o

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

If you only read one of his books, it should be Isaiah Decoded. That one focuses on the theology of Isaiah. If you're going to read all three, I recommend this order:
1. The End from the Beginning
2. Isaiah Decoded
3. The Literary Message

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

h_p wrote: July 25th, 2017, 1:14 pm If you only read one of his books, it should be Isaiah Decoded. That one focuses on the theology of Isaiah. If you're going to read all three, I recommend this order:
2. Isaiah Decoded
3. The Literary Message
I don't really nibble - I devour. Chances are good I will consume all three, then move on to whatever else I can get my hands on. Thanks for the recommendation! 12% through Decoded so far. Lunch break over, back to work! So many highlighted passages already, though.... :-B

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

My favorite was not on your list. It was, "The Last Days: Types and Shadows from the Bible and Book of Mormon". Of all of Gileadi's material this one introduced concepts that completely changed my approach to scripture study. In the introduction, which takes up the first third of the book, (longest introduction I have ever seen in a book) he introduces the method of rabbinical study of scripture and a concept called PRDS, or PaRdeS. Reading about these are of little value however, I made it a point to try to apply the techniques. It took five years, and much more study on these and other principles before I even began to think I was grasping the techniques as it requires an entire paradigm shift from traditional westernized thinking. After about 12 years, I felt very capable in understanding the manner of prophecy of the Jews and from then till now the depth of insight has magnified remarkably. The actual book...not such a big deal, interesting but not life changing...but that introduction, if applied, makes every other book that expounds on scripture and every book of scripture a continuous feast...

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

brlenox wrote: July 25th, 2017, 2:24 pm

My favorite was not on your list. It was, "The Last Days: Types and Shadows from the Bible and Book of Mormon". Of all of Gileadi's material this one introduced concepts that completely changed my approach to scripture study. In the introduction, which takes up the first third of the book, (longest introduction I have ever seen in a book) he introduces the method of rabbinical study of scripture and a concept called PRDS, or PaRdeS. Reading about these are of little value however, I made it a point to try to apply the techniques. It took five years, and much more study on these and other principles before I even began to think I was grasping the techniques as it requires an entire paradigm shift from traditional westernized thinking. After about 12 years, I felt very capable in understanding the manner of prophecy of the Jews and from then till now the depth of insight has magnified remarkably. The actual book...not such a big deal, interesting but not life changing...but that introduction, if applied, makes every other book that expounds on scripture and every book of scripture a continuous feast...
Looks like that book is out of print but still available here and there with a bit of searching. I'll add it to my list.

The three I mentioned above were available in Kindle format, which sadly is my primary form of book consumption these days (unless it is incredibly awesome and deserves shelf space with the rest of my collection). The upside is I consume books a lot faster that way; the downside is I lack the physical book when my kindle gets stolen, lost, or destroyed by my kids.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I bought a couple of his books but have only read Isaiah Decoded. Very well written and worthwhile. I have too many books to get through.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

iWriteStuff wrote: July 25th, 2017, 2:44 pm
brlenox wrote: July 25th, 2017, 2:24 pm

Looks like that book is out of print but still available here and there with a bit of searching. I'll add it to my list.

The three I mentioned above were available in Kindle format, which sadly is my primary form of book consumption these days (unless it is incredibly awesome and deserves shelf space with the rest of my collection). The upside is I consume books a lot faster that way; the downside is I lack the physical book when my kindle gets stolen, lost, or destroyed by my kids.
The Last Days is available at amazon. Also from Gileadi's own website.
I'm reading it, off and on, at the moment.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

h_p wrote: July 25th, 2017, 1:14 pm If you only read one of his books, it should be Isaiah Decoded. That one focuses on the theology of Isaiah. If you're going to read all three, I recommend this order:
2. Isaiah Decoded
3. The Literary Message
I second Isaiah Decoded, it's my favorite. I know Avraham, not well, but I redesigned and rebuilt his site IsaiahExplained.com which I highly recommend. He has over 30 hours of audio there for free and just fyi, the entire resources section is the entire text of his latest book "Windows on the Prophecy of Isaiah" which is kind of a master summary of all of his research. He has made all of this available for free, and I highly recommend his translation of Isaiah and I feel that there had to have been some inspiration in his efforts.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

5tev3 wrote: July 25th, 2017, 9:57 pm
2. Isaiah Decoded
3. The Literary Message
I second Isaiah Decoded, it's my favorite. I know Avraham, not well, but I redesigned and rebuilt his site IsaiahExplained.com which I highly recommend. He has over 30 hours of audio there for free and just fyi, the entire resources section is the entire text of his latest book "Windows on the Prophecy of Isaiah" which is kind of a master summary of all of his research. He has made all of this available for free, and I highly recommend his translation of Isaiah and I feel that there had to have been some inspiration in his efforts.
From someone who has spent hours on www.isaiahexplained.com thank you and nice work!

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

5tev3 wrote: July 25th, 2017, 9:57 pm I second Isaiah Decoded, it's my favorite. I know Avraham, not well, but I redesigned and rebuilt his site IsaiahExplained.com which I highly recommend.
Mad respect, brother. That website was done really, really well. The content is amazing, but you seriously did a great job on organizing and presenting it all.

I can say, without reservation, that Avraham Gileadi has completely transformed how I view the gospel, the temple, and the scriptures. I can't recommend his books enough. After reading his stuff, most other gospel books just feel like eating cotton candy or watching cartoons.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

Thanks alaris and h_p. A couple years ago I wrote a post on my blog about his old site. I had studied his translation of Isaiah and I really liked it especially when I compared his translation, a KJV, and the Hebrew as much as I could with a concordance. I commented in my post about how great the translation was but the site was just plain horrible, it was difficult to navigate and ugly as sin.

Well, I guess Avraham came across my post and wrote me an email and said something along the lines of, "So you think my site is ugly do ya?" He was very kind about it all but knowing I was a designer asked what could be done to improve it. We talked about some ideas and then I brought on a developer and we built the new version fresh from the ground up.

We wanted the person using the site to be able to access the verse, commentary, original Hebrew and audio all in the same place so the present design facilitates that. I wanted audio on a verse by verse basis so that when you clicked on the verse number and the modal appears that you could listen to the commentary for that verse but that would have meant cutting up 30+ hours of audio which would be a total nightmare. So the audio for the whole chapter is there on the sidebar and it works great.

I'm glad you two like the site and find it useful. Honestly I don't get any direct feedback so yours is some of the first I've heard and I'm just glad it works well for practical use.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

h_p wrote: July 26th, 2017, 7:14 amI can say, without reservation, that Avraham Gileadi has completely transformed how I view the gospel, the temple, and the scriptures. I can't recommend his books enough. After reading his stuff, most other gospel books just feel like eating cotton candy or watching cartoons.
While many of his books are awesome and really informative, Isaiah Decoded really impacted me personally, it was like a call not only to repentance but to rise. It inspired me in the way few books have and the cool part is that it wasn't Bro. Gileadi inspiring me, it was Isaiah, Bro. Gileadi just helped to clarify what Isaiah's message is.

As for cotton candy and cartoons, haha, yeah I've felt the same way with some books but there are still some great books out there, many are just not as densely packed as Gileadi's are. You have a lot of unnecessary repetitive fluff with some little nuggets hidden here and there. Some books are longer than they should be, a great message but wrapped in too much packaging. With Gileadi's books I've felt like a whole new universe of ideas exploded and it's taken me years to sort through some of those ideas. I love books like that.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I have a gift for decoding.
I've figured out that the thread title "Avraham Gileadi - Favorite Book" actually means "favourite" book. :)

And I did that without a seer stone.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Robin Hood wrote: July 26th, 2017, 11:11 am I have a gift for decoding.
I've figured out that the thread title "Avraham Gileadi - Favorite Book" actually means "favourite" book. :)

I see what you did there.... :-o
sneakybrit.jpg
sneakybrit.jpg (13.15 KiB) Viewed 896 times

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Robin Hood wrote: July 26th, 2017, 11:11 am I have a gift for decoding.

Lol, who says the modern church has no spiritual gifts anymore?