Does a Wife Hold the Priesthood with her Husband?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
LdsMarco
captain of 100

Does a Wife Hold the Priesthood with her Husband?

Post by LdsMarco »

The priesthood is held by men. Women do not hold the priesthood. Some have thought that they might and do to some extent. I read two statements to indicate what the Church's position is with reference to the place of woman as she relates to the priesthood: President Joseph Fielding Smith, quoting from his father, says:

"Does a wife hold the priesthood with her husband, and may she lay hands on the sick with him, with authority? A wife does not hold the priesthood with her husband, but she enjoys the benefits thereof with him; and if she is requested to lay hands on the sick with him, she may do so with perfect propriety."

When this is done the wife is adding her faith to the administration of her husband. The wife would lay on hands just as would a member of the Aaronic Priesthood, or a faithful brother without the Priesthood, she in this manner giving support by faith to the ordinance performed by her husband. (Doctrines of Salvation, comp. Bruce R. McConkie, 3 vols. [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1954-56], 3:177.)

I want you to get the distinction that he makes there—the husband performs the ordinance by the authority of the priesthood, and she (if she joins with him in such an experience) would do it only to add her faith to his, but not by any authority of the priesthood.

Brother John A. Widtsoe has added another note to this matter when he says:

By divine fiat, the Priesthood is conferred on the men. This means that organization must prevail in the family, the ultimate unit of the Church. The husband, the Priesthood bearer, presides over the family; the Priesthood conferred upon him is intended for the blessing of the whole family. Every member shares in the gift bestowed, but under a proper organization. No man who understands the gospel believes that he is greater than his wife, or more beloved of the Lord, because he holds the Priesthood, but rather that he is under the responsibility of speaking and acting for the family in official matters. (Evidences and Reconciliations, comp. G. Homer Durham [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1960], pp. 307-8.)

And so we begin to see priesthood as it relates to the entire membership of the Church.

I could of sworn I saw an LDS NEWSROOM update recently on this. I believe it is not recommended but if a woman would have done it - it was said to not stop her. Does anyone have a reference to that? I can't seem to find it.
Last edited by LdsMarco on July 24th, 2017, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

inho
captain of 1,000

Re: Does a Wife Hold the Priesthood with her Husband?

Post by inho »

LdsMarco wrote: July 24th, 2017, 12:40 am "Does a wife hold the priesthood with her husband, and may she lay hands on the sick with him, with authority? A wife does not hold the priesthood with her husband, but she enjoys the benefits thereof with him; and if she is requested to lay hands on the sick with him, she may do so with perfect propriety."

When this is done the wife is adding her faith to the administration of her husband. The wife would lay on hands just as would a member of the Aaronic Priesthood, or a faithful brother without the Priesthood, she in this manner giving support by faith to the ordinance performed by her husband. (Doctrines of Salvation, comp. Bruce R. McConkie, 3 vols. [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1954-56], 3:177.)
I have read some other old quotes too, that basically say the same thing. However, this is outdated information. Now the church says that women (or AP holders) should not lay their hands in connection of priesthood blessing:
Only brethren who hold the necessary priesthood and are worthy may perform an ordinance or blessing or stand in the circle.

(Handbook 2)

Then of course, a completely another thing is that women used to give blessings for sick without a priesthood holders being involved. These blessings did not invoke the authority of the priesthood. More on this, see: Stapley & Wright, Female Ritual Healing in Mormonism, Journal of Mormon History, Vol. 37, pp. 1-85, Winter 2011.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

D&C 131 says

1 In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees;
2 And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage

So the highest order of the Melchizedek priesthood is the order entered into jointly by husband and wife, or patriarchal order. So this order of priesthood is actually a higher order than what governs the church here on earth. This makes sense, as we always teach that the family unit is pre-eminent and that a father outranks the president of the church in his own home. This is because as a patriarch of his family, he has is exercising a higher order of the melchizedek priesthood than the president has.

Women are not ordained to the Melchizedek priesthood as men are, but they do become joint holders in the patriarchal order after sealing. This would seem to imply to me that women would be able exercise this priesthood within the confines of that sealing covenant. So within those members of your family who are part of your sealing, either born into the covenant or later sealed to it, you would be within your rights to participate in any blessings that go on there.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Women will be loved and be the treasure of the family. So if you know that, it won't matter too much who holds the priesthood.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

If Heavenly Mother exists, She is a Goddess and a High Priestess. Which then means She has priesthood.

Heavenly Mother does exist.

-Finrock