The Establishment of Zion

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Arenera
captain of 1,000

The Establishment of Zion

Post by Arenera »

Couple of questions: How are you preparing for Zion?

I head something recently that said parts of the earth had been taken away at various times, for example Enoch and Zion. There was even a hymn that is about that, no longer in our hymn book.

Anyone know about the hymn?

Also, what do you think about Zion being made up of all the creations of God?

From Moses:7
29 And Enoch said unto the Lord: How is it that thou canst weep, seeing thou art holy, and from all eternity to all eternity?

30 And were it possible that man could number the particles of the earth, yea, millions of earths like this, it would not be a beginning to the number of thy creations; and thy curtains are stretched out still; and yet thou art there, and thy bosom is there; and also thou art just; thou art merciful and kind forever;

31 And thou hast taken Zion to thine own bosom, from all thy creations, from all eternity to all eternity; and naught but peace, justice, and truth is the habitation of thy throne; and mercy shall go before thy face and have no end; how is it thou canst weep?

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Re: The Establishment of Zion

Post by Matchmaker »

One of the ways that I am preparing for Zion is that I am giving away for free all of my extra possessions. I am retaining only those things that have sentimental or educational value, those items that are needed in the operations of day to day living, and those things that are part of my long-term emergency preparedness plan, such as extra bedding, warm clothing, food, tools, etc.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

I found the hymn, here is some background:
The belief that the Lost Ten Tribes were taken by the Lord from this earth and placed somewhere else in the universe, apparently had its beginning in the early days of the Church. For example, by the early 1850's, Eliza R. Snow, a wife of the Prophet Joseph Smith, had written a poetic song which stated that "when the Lord saw fit to hide the Ten Lost Tribes away" He did so in a manner similar to His removal of the city of Enoch, by "severing" the earth "to provide an orb on which they (the Lost Tenb Tribes now) stay." Her song was first published in 1856, a Hymn number 313, in Tahoe old music less Church hymnbook entitled L.D.S. Hymns.
Hymn 313 (C.M.)
1. Thou, Earth, wast once a glorious sphere
Of noble magnitude,
And didst with majesty appear
Among the worlds of God.

2. But thy dimensions have been torn
Asunder, piece by piece,
And each dismember'd fragment borne
Abroad to distant space.

3. When Enoch could no longer stay
Amid corruption here,
Part of thyself was borne away
To form another sphere.

4. That portion where his city stood
He gain'd by right approv'd;
And nearer to the throne of God
His planet upward mov'd.

5. And when the Lord saw fit to hide
The "ten lost tribes" away,
Thou, Earth, wast sever'd to provide
The orb on which they stay.

6. And thus, from time to time, thy size
Has been diminish'd till
Thou seems the law of sacrifice
Created to fulfill.

This view that the Lost Ten Tribes are separated from the earth upon which we now reside has also been attributed to the Prophet Joseph Smith.

from "The Lost Tribes". History, Doctrine, Prophecies, and Theories About Israel's Lost Ten Tribes. R. Clayton Brough. 1979

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

I am working on controlling my thoughts. My desires are pretty well squared away but To be of one heart and one mind is the only way to make ZION work. How Enoch got others to do this is incredible.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

alaris wrote: July 21st, 2017, 12:43 pm I am working on controlling my thoughts. My desires are pretty well squared away but To be of one heart and one mind is the only way to make ZION work. How Enoch got others to do this is incredible.
Didn't it take Enoch over 300 years?!

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Christ established Zion in the Americas.
2 And again, more blessed are they who shall believe in your words because that ye shall testify that ye have seen me, and that ye know that I am. Yea, blessed are they who shall believe in your words, and come down into the depths of humility and be baptized, for they shall be visited with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and shall receive a remission of their sins.

3 Yea, blessed are the poor in spirit who bcome unto me, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 And again, blessed are all they that mourn, for they shall be comforted.

5 And blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the bearth.

6 And blessed are all they who do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled with the Holy Ghost.

7 And blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

8 And blessed are all the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

9 And blessed are all the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.

10 And blessed are all they who are persecuted for my name’s sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 And blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake;

12 For ye shall have great joy and be exceedingly glad, for great shall be your reward in heaven; for so persecuted they the prophets who were before you.

13 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the salt of the earth; but if the salt shall lose its savor wherewith shall the earth be salted? The salt shall be thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out and to be trodden under foot of men.

14 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.

15 Behold, do men light a acandle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house;

16 Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Arenera wrote: July 21st, 2017, 12:37 pm I found the hymn, here is some background:
The belief that the Lost Ten Tribes were taken by the Lord from this earth and placed somewhere else in the universe, apparently had its beginning in the early days of the Church. For example, by the early 1850's, Eliza R. Snow, a wife of the Prophet Joseph Smith, had written a poetic song which stated that "when the Lord saw fit to hide the Ten Lost Tribes away" He did so in a manner similar to His removal of the city of Enoch, by "severing" the earth "to provide an orb on which they (the Lost Tenb Tribes now) stay." Her song was first published in 1856, a Hymn number 313, in Tahoe old music less Church hymnbook entitled L.D.S. Hymns.
Hymn 313 (C.M.)
1. Thou, Earth, wast once a glorious sphere
Of noble magnitude,
And didst with majesty appear
Among the worlds of God.

2. But thy dimensions have been torn
Asunder, piece by piece,
And each dismember'd fragment borne
Abroad to distant space.

3. When Enoch could no longer stay
Amid corruption here,
Part of thyself was borne away
To form another sphere.

4. That portion where his city stood
He gain'd by right approv'd;
And nearer to the throne of God
His planet upward mov'd.

5. And when the Lord saw fit to hide
The "ten lost tribes" away,
Thou, Earth, wast sever'd to provide
The orb on which they stay.

6. And thus, from time to time, thy size
Has been diminish'd till
Thou seems the law of sacrifice
Created to fulfill.

This view that the Lost Ten Tribes are separated from the earth upon which we now reside has also been attributed to the Prophet Joseph Smith.

from "The Lost Tribes". History, Doctrine, Prophecies, and Theories About Israel's Lost Ten Tribes. R. Clayton Brough. 1979
Amazing! I was actually looking for this hymn. And its hard to find because its not in the new hymn books, at least that I can find. There are a couple that aren't in the hymn books anymore that used to be, probably because it wasn't the right time. Someday we may also have hymns from new events that shape kingdom of heaven in the future.

Also I wish to point out there are actually 2 cities taken up by the Lord, according to sound scriptural doctrine. Its easier to accept these ideas when we see there's already a pattern of more than 1 city being taken up already. Many people talk about the city of Enoch. Bear in mind Enoch lived before the flood. So his city was taken up awhile ago. Moses Chapter 7 for reference. Then also we have the account of Melchizedek that lived in Salem, believed to be near the area of Jeru-Salem. (For references you can find D&C 102, early part of the section; JST, Genesis 14:25–40!). This is interesting and valid because Melchizedek was supposed to have been one of the great priesthood holders of all of the dispensations, so it's not too hard to accept that if you lived like that your city would be next.

The third one, I can't say for sure that its a real account but some people think the lost tribes are in a 3rd city taken up or hidden somewhere but I can't really say that I know that to be solid and true yet for myself.

Interestingly enough, a lot of scholars think that Shem and Melchizedek are the same person. Here's one of the reasons why; D&C 138:41. When you read D&C 102 you are impressed that Melchizedek was one of the very great priesthood holers, but yet reading 138:41 he isn't listed...yet he lived in the same time as those listed in that scripture...unless he's already listed as Shem. This can be for the same reasons as Jacob became Israel, etc. Also both Shem and Melchizedek both held the title, 'the great high priest'. Also the fact that Abraham lived in the days of Shem is already true. It's shown that Abraham received the priesthood from Melchizedek D&C 84:14.

An additional argument for them both being possibly the same person is that they both were the 'leader' for their time holding the keys of authority...and you wouldn't normally have 2 leaders both holding the same keys of 'presiding authority' when they are both alive in the same time.