Dreams?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Dreams?

Post by gardener4life »

So...

Sometimes I read about people who have had dreams about spiritual things...very spiritual things. Like someone posted something like this; --> viewtopic.php?t=39566

That's not my article in the link but is an example.

My question is how do you confirm a dream like the example above is true when its your OWN dream? When its someone else's dream that's always something we never really know. But I feel like I need help with this. I've had several times where I had spiritual experiences with dreams but I don't want to share them, and I think sometimes its inappropriate to do so. But I would like to talk about how to confirm them. And obviously you can't go around talking about this kind of thing with everyone because they think you are nuts. Even sometimes just bringing up uncomfortable topics at church people can think you are odd or might mistakenly think you are straying and I don't want that. I also want to stay on the safe road if you take my meaning.

I have also already read D&C 129...

I still hope to talk this out anonymously. Thanks.

dewajack
captain of 100

Re: Dreams?

Post by dewajack »

Joseph Smith said something to the affect that when an experience occurs ask the Lord for an interpretation and if one comes then you can know it's from Him. Now that's a weak paraphrase, but I don't want to look up the full quote right now. In other words, the Lord will explain what he sends your way, in His own way and time.

Also, when I have strong spiritual dreams, I awake in the night and I'm usually wide awake and things are very lucid. Again, always go to Him and see if it's from Him, and then if so, ask for the interpretation. And of course record it.

Elder Scott has some nice talks on this topic as well. Again, I'm not going to look them up. Too lazy right now.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

dewajack wrote: July 19th, 2017, 8:36 pm Joseph Smith said something to the affect that when an experience occurs ask the Lord for an interpretation and if one comes then you can know it's from Him. Now that's a weak paraphrase, but I don't want to look up the full quote right now. In other words, the Lord will explain what he sends your way, in His own way and time.

Also, when I have strong spiritual dreams, I awake in the night and I'm usually wide awake and things are very lucid. Again, always go to Him and see if it's from Him, and then if so, ask for the interpretation. And of course record it.

Elder Scott has some nice talks on this topic as well. Again, I'm not going to look them up. Too lazy right now.
Richard G. Scott
https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/richard- ... fectively/

"One of the most memorable and powerful patterns of communication by the Spirit is through dreams. I have learned that when the transition from being fully asleep to being fully awake is almost imperceptible, it is a signal that the Lord has taught something very important through a dream. When this occurs, I recognize the need to ponder what I remember of the dream, to seek to understand it and its application in my life. Sometimes the dream is symbolic and prayer is required so that through the Holy Ghost the Lord can interpret or clarify the lessons to be understood and applied.Throughout the majority of my teenage and adult life, I have greatly appreciated mercy. It was through a vivid dream that I learned also to cherish justice. Justice provides order and control in our Father’s plan of happiness. It assures that whatever we have earned through worthy effort will ever be ours, such as knowledge, the love of dear ones, and the eternal benefits of the ordinances, including those of the temple. Justice assures that no power can take these precious things from us. We could lose them through disobedience, but who would want to do that?"

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

dewajack wrote: July 19th, 2017, 8:36 pm Joseph Smith said something to the affect that when an experience occurs ask the Lord for an interpretation and if one comes then you can know it's from Him. Now that's a weak paraphrase, but I don't want to look up the full quote right now. In other words, the Lord will explain what he sends your way, in His own way and time.

Richard G. Scott
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng

"Revelation can also be given in a dream when there is an almost imperceptible transition from sleep to wakefulness. If you strive to capture the content immediately, you can record great detail, but otherwise it fades rapidly. Inspired communication in the night is generally accompanied by a sacred feeling for the entire experience. The Lord uses individuals for whom we have great respect to teach us truths in a dream because we trust them and will listen to their counsel. It is the Lord doing the teaching through the Holy Ghost. However, He may in a dream make it both easier to understand and more likely to touch our hearts by teaching us through someone we love and respect.

When it is for the Lord’s purposes, He can bring anything to our remembrance. That should not weaken our determination to record impressions of the Spirit. Inspiration carefully recorded shows God that His communications are sacred to us. Recording will also enhance our ability to recall revelation. Such recording of direction of the Spirit should be protected from loss or intrusion by others."

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

This reminds me of that joke high councilmen would share frequently 20 years ago about the man who stood on his roof during a flood praying loudly asking the Lord to save him. A raft comes, a boat comes, a helicopter comes, each driver offering salvation from the flood. The loud man turns them all down shouting that God would save him. He drowns and asks God why he didn't save him and God says, "I sent a raft, a boat, and a helicopter! What else could I have possibly have done?"

My only point is I wholeheartedly agree with dewajack, but I counsel you to be open to the source of the interpretation. :)

BackBlast
captain of 100

Post by BackBlast »

gardener4life wrote: July 19th, 2017, 1:55 am My question is how do you confirm a dream like the example above is true when its your OWN dream?
There are two things I use to help identify the source.

Did the dream come from my own mind? Sometimes this is an obvious NO, other times it's not clear. This takes some understanding of yourself and how your own mind works to accurately judge this. I have grown better over time at identifying foreign ideas both awake and in dreams, from both sides.

Secondly, does the dream edify?

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 14th, 2017, 7:59 pm I seem to do a lot of bad things in dreams that I would never do in consciousness.
I have had dreams that were tests. Without elaborating too much, my patriarchal blessing contains specific warnings and actions to take. In my dreams I have been tested. As time has gone on, I have become consistent in taking the correct action.

Perhaps you could use the dreams as training. Try to recognize it as a dream, or at least take control of the situation to act according to your conscience.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

BackBlast wrote: July 23rd, 2017, 11:38 pm
gardener4life wrote: July 19th, 2017, 1:55 am My question is how do you confirm a dream like the example above is true when its your OWN dream?

Did the dream come from my own mind? Sometimes this is an obvious NO, other times it's not clear. This takes some understanding of yourself and how your own mind works to accurately judge this. I have grown better over time at identifying foreign ideas both awake and in dreams, from both sides.

This is an interesting thought. But how do you identify what came from your own mind?

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

gardener4life wrote: August 15th, 2017, 4:39 am

This is an interesting thought. But how do you identify what came from your own mind?
I think we identify whether it is our own thoughts or God's in much the same way we discern spirits.

Doctrine and Covenants 50 teaches how to do this in detail. You will want to read the whole chapter, but here is an excerpt:

D&C 50:27-35

27 Wherefore, he is possessor of all things; for all things are subject unto him, both in heaven and on the earth, the life and the light, the Spirit and the power, sent forth by the will of the Father through Jesus Christ, his Son.

28 But no man is possessor of all things except he be purified and cleansed from all sin.

29 And if ye are purified and cleansed from all sin, ye shall ask whatsoever you will in the name of Jesus and it shall be done.

30 But know this, it shall be given you what you shall ask; and as ye are appointed to the head, the spirits shall be subject unto you.

31 Wherefore, it shall come to pass, that if you behold a spirit manifested that you cannot understand, and you receive not that spirit, ye shall ask of the Father in the name of Jesus; and if he give not unto you that spirit, then you may know that it is not of God.

32 And it shall be given unto you, power over that spirit; and you shall proclaim against that spirit with a loud voice that it is not of God—

33 Not with railing accusation, that ye be not overcome, neither with boasting nor rejoicing, lest you be seized therewith.

34 He that receiveth of God, let him account it of God; and let him rejoice that he is accounted of God worthy to receive.

35 And by giving heed and doing these things which ye have received, and which ye shall hereafter receive—and the kingdom is given you of the Father, and power to overcome all things which are not ordained of him—"

Things that stand out to me

1. Be clean and purified from sin
2. Ask God
3 If evil, proclaim against it, if good receive it and rejoice

*Anecdotes:
1. I have had people I know who have left the church and live according to the world, then said the Spirit told them to do things clearly contrary to what has been taught by prophets and apostles. They violate #1 be clean and purified from sin.

2. I have had friends who say something is from God, even though they admit they don't really understand it AND/OR they don't ask God because it seem miraculous, so they say that means it is from God. That is superstition, not faith. That is a dangerous place to wander.

3. This is an important step, if you ask and He answers, you need to act on this last part. We wouldn't unknowingly invite a dangerous person into our home and then when we discover it, not ask them to leave. Make it clear, in the Lord's way, that the spirit is not welcome. Conversely, if the Lord confirms it is from Him and we don't act, we can expect the Spirit to be less likely to send us such gifts.

One final point, I'm sorry if this seems repetitive from my many posts, but we can only know a voice we listen to often. If you want to be able to "hear" the difference between the Holy Spirit and some other spirit, you have to listen to his voice. The best ways I have found are studying the scriptures and listening to and reading the words spoken and written BY the prophets (not about them). (Whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servant it is the same.) If someone is still working on a testimony of the scriptures and the prophets, then the words spoken by Christ himself in the scriptures is the place to start.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

gardener4life wrote: July 19th, 2017, 1:55 am So...

Sometimes I read about people who have had dreams about spiritual things...very spiritual things. Like someone posted something like this; --> viewtopic.php?t=39566

My question is how do you confirm a dream like the example above is true when its your OWN dream? When its someone else's dream that's always something we never really know. But I feel like I need help with this. I've had several times where I had spiritual experiences with dreams but I don't want to share them, and I think sometimes its inappropriate to do so. But I would like to talk about how to confirm them. And obviously you can't go around talking about this kind of thing with everyone because they think you are nuts. Even sometimes just bringing up uncomfortable topics at church people can think you are odd or might mistakenly think you are straying and I don't want that. I also want to stay on the safe road if you take my meaning.

I think part of the problem is that many of these people are reading others "experiences" and then with those thoughts in mind either planting a seed for a similar dream, or opening themselves up to being influenced by the same spirit that influenced the first person. You can see from the dates that the post you referenced did not in fact happen.
It also seems clear this person has read others experiences about dreams and tent cities.

Let me say this. I asked the Lord specifically about the books that many reference regarding dreams and the last days. I was told by the Spirit that they are not of God. I have received the same answer about many people's personal stories. For many years, that is as much as he told me. The only other info I had was that for at least some of my personal acquaintances, they were not rebellious, but deceived. I did have one person he told me to not be friends with anymore, but only one out of many. One other point, I was led to many talks by prophets that speak on this very topic and confirmed what the Spirit said.

Recently, as I have studied the scriptures, he has opened up my mind with understanding regarding the last days and some of the questions I have carried with me for years. Not surprisingly, he has required some things of me including following the example of the prophet Daniel when he received understanding of the same events. It is reassuring that he is following the same pattern he set before. He has also NOT given me permission to share what he has revealed. That is also reassuring. It is not my stewardship to share these sacred experiences outside of my husband and children.

Let me be clear he has not revealed anything contrary to what the prophets and scriptures teach and that what he has revealed is understanding, not new doctrine or a different plan.

The Lord is the same yesterday, today and forever. His course is one eternal round. He has said that we can know for ourselves. I have a testimony of this. He will reveal, what he will, in His own time and way. Might I recommend, if you have received it, reading your patriarchal blessing daily, if you are not doing so now. Insights into your future regarding the last days can be revealed by the warnings, blessings, and admonitions he gives in your patriarchal blessing.

I hope this helps.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 14th, 2017, 7:59 pm I seem to do a lot of bad things in dreams that I would never do in consciousness.
Haha, please elaborate. 😳

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

eddie wrote: August 15th, 2017, 4:02 pm
Ha ha Eddie, you want the lurid details, do you?
dc

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

David13 wrote: August 15th, 2017, 4:10 pm
eddie wrote: August 15th, 2017, 4:02 pm
Ha ha Eddie, you want the lurid details, do you?
dc
Yes, because I had this dream that I was hanging out with
David13, riding on the back of his motorcycle and we kept getting in trouble, we had tatto's, drank near beer, and gave people dirty looks. David called me "Quesy Rider."

BackBlast
captain of 100

Post by BackBlast »

Consider the material, and especially, the symbology. Stuff you are familiar with?

If yes, how familiar? Do I dwell on this symbol/item/subject often? Have I done so in the last 2 weeks? month?

If no, is it cohesive? Or more random? Is there logic, or a discernible sequence, and possibly message?

If you are very familiar with it, and do dwell on it frequently, or especially worry about it or closely related material. Very possible that it came from your own mind. It would come from your current working set of concerns. Stuff that you are familiar with but are not currently involved in your working set, a bit more out-of-the-blue are reasonable candidates for symbols in a meaningful dream.

Example, in a recent dream I had I saw Machin Shin. I haven't read the Wheel of Time in ages. I tried to pick it back up some months ago as an audio book filler for commutes or manual labor and just couldn't do it. So it's probably been >4 years since I've read or contemplated the concept of Machin Shin, nor have I contemplated or dreamed about Wheel of Time anything in a similar span. This is a rather out-of-the-blue symbol in the context of my current life, but it is a concept I am familiar with. It was in a dream that was sequenced with another kind of storm showing a progression and the number of occurrences marking time. Thus I could identify a cohesive symbol set that I am familiar with but is clearly outside of my current "working set" of thoughts and concerns and then I have a candidate to record and pray about for understanding.

Dreams about puzzles, computer code, solving complicated problems, a home improvement project, are all things I think about every day with some variance. They fall clearly within my current "working set" of concerns. Dreams that relate to them are not candidates for further reflection.

Hivetyrant36
captain of 100

Post by Hivetyrant36 »

I’ll add my own spin here. For the longest time and especially recently I have been extremely desireable that would know who I will become and what my role in my life will be.
I had a dream of a meteor hitting my parents bedroom and I knew my mother was inside it. 8 months later, and somewhat unexpectedly, she passed. That was this year. Rewind to before that dream. In this previous dream I am translated and working with the destroying angels, and my family is there except for my mother, who is spirit only. One day while driving between cities, I became illuminated by information, and it was as if I were no conscious of the road, my surroundings, or any faster of mortality. I was deep in receiving thought. It hit like all the other revelations I’d ever had. Instantaneous information dump, things I never would have comprehended before. I wasn’t asleep, but I also wasn’t driving, my body seemed to take over. The information was that mom would pass and shortly after I would begin a work. Any more is too sacred to say here, but you get the point. Mom passed 4 weeks ago. All the revelation and dreams had been right. Not only that, but I had other dreams that accurately predicted events down to the details that took place a day or two after I dreamed them.
I see a lot of metaphor, and as the apostle said, I always had a feeling in my chest of sacred hope. It felt relaxing to think about the things in the dream and my day was more enjoyable.

By now, the 8 dreams I have recorded this year alone seem to be constructing a sort of map, and now that I can look back and read them, I see the imagery and metaphor all tying into one single narrative. These dreams seemed to be completely unrelated at the time but each one left me with THAT feeling. Not an emotion, mind you, be wary of emotions when dealing with revelations, they are never the spirit.
I had dreams that were junk all throughout this time, and I think it is merely a matter of experience to tell them apart.

All in all, my advice, ask for revelation and it will surely come. Expect it.
Last edited by Hivetyrant36 on October 9th, 2017, 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hivetyrant36
captain of 100

Post by Hivetyrant36 »

BackBlast wrote: October 9th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Consider the material, and especially, the symbology. Stuff you are familiar with?

If yes, how familiar? Do I dwell on this symbol/item/subject often? Have I done so in the last 2 weeks? month?

If no, is it cohesive? Or more random? Is there logic, or a discernible sequence, and possibly message?

If you are very familiar with it, and do dwell on it frequently, or especially worry about it or closely related material. Very possible that it came from your own mind. It would come from your current working set of concerns. Stuff that you are familiar with but are not currently involved in your working set, a bit more out-of-the-blue are reasonable candidates for symbols in a meaningful dream.

Example, in a recent dream I had I saw Machin Shin. I haven't read the Wheel of Time in ages. I tried to pick it back up some months ago as an audio book filler for commutes or manual labor and just couldn't do it. So it's probably been >4 years since I've read or contemplated the concept of Machin Shin, nor have I contemplated or dreamed about Wheel of Time anything in a similar span. This is a rather out-of-the-blue symbol in the context of my current life, but it is a concept I am familiar with. It was in a dream that was sequenced with another kind of storm showing a progression and the number of occurrences marking time. Thus I could identify a cohesive symbol set that I am familiar with but is clearly outside of my current "working set" of thoughts and concerns and then I have a candidate to record and pray about for understanding.

Dreams about puzzles, computer code, solving complicated problems, a home improvement project, are all things I think about every day with some variance. They fall clearly within my current "working set" of concerns. Dreams that relate to them are not candidates for further reflection.
I would be wary discounting based on filtering. The spirit often uses things on our minds to teach us. If Lehi has ignored his dream about Jerusalem being destroyed, which Jerusalem was constantly on his mind, we would not have the BoM.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

gardener4life wrote: July 19th, 2017, 1:55 am So...

Sometimes I read about people who have had dreams about spiritual things...very spiritual things. Like someone posted something like this; --> http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=39566

I also want to stay on the safe road if you take my meaning.

D&C 46
7 But ye are commanded in all things to ask of God, who giveth liberally; and that which the Spirit testifies unto you even so I would that ye should do in all holiness of heart, walking uprightly before me, considering the end of your salvation, doing all things with prayer and thanksgiving, that ye may not be seduced by evil spirits, or doctrines of devils, or the commandments of men; for some are of men, and others of devils.
8 Wherefore, beware lest ye are deceived; and that ye may not be deceived seek ye earnestly the best gifts, always remembering for what they are given;
9 For verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited that seek or that ask of me, that ask and not for a sign that they may consume it upon their lusts.
10 And again, verily I say unto you, I would that ye should always remember, and always retain in your minds what those gifts are, that are given unto the church.
11 For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God.
12 To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby.
13 To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.
14 To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful.
15 And again, to some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know the differences of administration, as it will be pleasing unto the same Lord, according as the Lord will, suiting his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men.
16 And again, it is given by the Holy Ghost to some to know the diversities of operations, whether they be of God, that the manifestations of the Spirit may be given to every man to profit withal.
17 And again, verily I say unto you, to some is given, by the Spirit of God, the word of wisdom.
18 To another is given the word of knowledge, that all may be taught to be wise and to have knowledge.
19 And again, to some it is given to have faith to be healed;
20 And to others it is given to have faith to heal.
21 And again, to some is given the working of miracles;
22 And to others it is given to prophesy;
23 And to others the discerning of spirits.
24 And again, it is given to some to speak with tongues;
25 And to another is given the interpretation of tongues.
26 And all these gifts come from God, for the benefit of the children of God.