Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: The Family A Proclamation to the World and The Living Christ

Post by brianj »

Robin Hood wrote: July 19th, 2017, 11:36 pm Just because something is absent from the 10 commandments (fornication, homosexuality, word of wisdom etc) doesn't mean they don't apply to us. But we have no right to ignore what is in the 10 commandments, just because it's inconvenient.
Surely you can see the difference, and therefore the weakness of the argument you made?
Perhaps another example would have satisfied you more. I would have tried again with the Word of Wisdom, which we hold as a commandment even though it explicitly states that it is not a commandment, but I'm not sure you would be satisfied with an argument based allegedly ignoring what is in on D&C 89:2.

An interpretation as strict as yours would prohibit astrophotography, underwater photography, photographic inspection of subterranean tunnels and pipelines, sonar imagery of the sea floor, and many other artistic and scientific pursuits. So, either imaging in pursuit of knowledge is sinful or an interpretation of the second commandment that excludes even clouds and rainbows is an incorrect interpretation.

I am not saying that the second commandment is no longer applicable; I am saying that your interpretation of that commandment is looking beyond the mark.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

brianj wrote: July 20th, 2017, 7:08 pm
Robin Hood wrote: July 19th, 2017, 11:36 pm Just because something is absent from the 10 commandments (fornication, homosexuality, word of wisdom etc) doesn't mean they don't apply to us. But we have no right to ignore what is in the 10 commandments, just because it's inconvenient.
Surely you can see the difference, and therefore the weakness of the argument you made?
Perhaps another example would have satisfied you more. I would have tried again with the Word of Wisdom, which we hold as a commandment even though it explicitly states that it is not a commandment, but I'm not sure you would be satisfied with an argument based allegedly ignoring what is in on D&C 89:2.

An interpretation as strict as yours would prohibit astrophotography, underwater photography, photographic inspection of subterranean tunnels and pipelines, sonar imagery of the sea floor, and many other artistic and scientific pursuits. So, either imaging in pursuit of knowledge is sinful or an interpretation of the second commandment that excludes even clouds and rainbows is an incorrect interpretation.

I am not saying that the second commandment is no longer applicable; I am saying that your interpretation of that commandment is looking beyond the mark.
I can't remember saying anything about sonar imaging of the sea floor.
I'm talking about the things we hang on the walls of our homes. Pictures of temples, paintings of (often) an effeminate looking Jesus, prophets and apostles..... and so on.
But I probably haven't thought this through properly.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Robin Hood wrote: July 20th, 2017, 11:15 pm I can't remember saying anything about sonar imaging of the sea floor.
I'm talking about the things we hang on the walls of our homes. Pictures of temples, paintings of (often) an effeminate looking Jesus, prophets and apostles..... and so on.
But I probably haven't thought this through properly.
I did not interpret your previous posts as limited to things we hang on the walls of the home. You seemed quite explicit in expressing a belief that it is a sin to make "any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."
Sonar imagery has created maps of tectonic plate boundaries under the ocean. Most of the seafloor has been mapped through measuring changes in local gravitational fields.
By creating images of what is in the heavens and comparing those images, planetary scientists are discovering near earth asteroids and comets. Imagery from the several Mars rovers and the many probes visiting other objects in our solar system are adding to our knowledge of the solar system and the universe.

I could provide many more examples. Hopefully it will suffice to say that imaging things within the planet, within the oceans, and beyond our atmosphere not only provide aesthetic beauty for people to admire but also an ability to further knowledge.
Prohibiting people from making likenesses or images that could or will be used for worship makes perfect sense. But prohibiting people from the pursuit of knowledge doesn't coexist with the idea that we should pursue education in this life. And creating works of aesthetic beauty is another issue that can be discussed.