The "one mighty and strong" poll

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.

What is your belief about the "one mighty and strong"?

Possibility #1: Closed prophecy (or no belief in any end-times servant)
26%
Possibility #2: Prophecy of a future presiding bishop
10%
Possibility #3: As former member, he will not recognize any keys held by the Church, or will wrest the keys from it
19%
Possibility #4: He will recognize the keys in the Church and work alongside or within it
23%
Possibility #5: The Church will become non-existent or will be broken up by the time he comes to power
3%
Possibility #6: He will be a complete outsider of the Church
19%

Total votes: 31
dewajack
captain of 100

Re: The "one mighty and strong" poll

Post by dewajack »

Just some things to think about. Even though this is a poll about the "one mighty and strong," we know others will be involved as well.

For example, we have the verse below from 2 Nephi 3, which doesn't refer to the others previously mentioned in the chapter.
2 Nephi 3: 24 And there shall rise up one mighty among them, who shall do much good, both in word and in deed, being an instrument in the hands of God, with exceeding faith, to work mighty wonders, and do that thing which is great in the sight of God, unto the bringing to pass much restoration unto the house of Israel, and unto the seed of thy brethren.
Also, we have these two characters,
Revelation 11: 3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
And we also have these verses.
Jacob 5:61 Wherefore, go to, and call servants, that we may labor diligently with our might in the vineyard, that we may prepare the way, that I may bring forth again the natural fruit, which natural fruit is good and the most precious above all other fruit . . . 70 And it came to pass that the Lord of the vineyard sent his servant; and the servant went and did as the Lord had commanded him, and brought other servants; and they were few.
I would guess from how things have turned out throughout history that we'll be surprised at how all this unfolds and whose been involved. I don't believe all will be LDS. Also, what's most important is that we fulfill what we're all here to do. All of us have important roles to fill, whether we're mentioned in scripture or not, we're all on unique missions to some extent.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

dewajack wrote: July 13th, 2017, 7:23 am Just some things to think about. Even though this is a poll about the "one mighty and strong," we know others will be involved as well.

For example, we have the verse below from 2 Nephi 3, which doesn't refer to the others previously mentioned in the chapter.
2 Nephi 3: 24 And there shall rise up one mighty among them, who shall do much good, both in word and in deed, being an instrument in the hands of God, with exceeding faith, to work mighty wonders, and do that thing which is great in the sight of God, unto the bringing to pass much restoration unto the house of Israel, and unto the seed of thy brethren.
Also, we have these two characters,
Revelation 11: 3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
And we also have these verses.
Jacob 5:61 Wherefore, go to, and call servants, that we may labor diligently with our might in the vineyard, that we may prepare the way, that I may bring forth again the natural fruit, which natural fruit is good and the most precious above all other fruit . . . 70 And it came to pass that the Lord of the vineyard sent his servant; and the servant went and did as the Lord had commanded him, and brought other servants; and they were few.
I would guess from how things have turned out throughout history that we'll be surprised at how all this unfolds and whose been involved. I don't believe all will be LDS. Also, what's most important is that we fulfill what we're all here to do. All of us have important roles to fill, whether we're mentioned in scripture or not, we're all on unique missions to some extent.
Interesting! I assumed the servant from 2 Nephi 3 was the same. I've been starting to rethink this a little...

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Arenera wrote: July 12th, 2017, 1:57 pm
alaris wrote: July 12th, 2017, 1:40 pm
kittycat51 wrote: July 12th, 2017, 12:57 pm This is kind of a touchy subject...my grandfather fell into a church faction group where they believed the one mighty and strong existed among them. President Heber J. Grant warned him that if he didn't cut ties he would be excommunicated. My grandfather did not listen and paid the price. :(
Thanks for sharing that--my condolences. I was shocked when I read this wiki article as to the number of people who claim to be the one mighty and strong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Mighty_and_Strong

However, to me this lends further evidence to the fact that there will be One Mighty and Strong. The devil sends both false Christs and false Prophets to deceive to fight and derail the truth and God's works. Looking where the devil fights the hardest and screams the loudest is almost a cheat sheet to see the mirror image of what God values the most--where his works and efforts are concentrated. Try researching anything LDS on google and the quantity and venemosity of anti mormon hits are a true testament. Likewise if the One Mighty and Strong weren't a big deal to God's latter-day plans, likely there wouldn't be so many claiming to be him. My $ 0.02. :ymsmug:
James J. Strang
Joseph Smith III
James Brighouse
Jesus Christ
Samuel Eastman
John Tanner Clark
Alma Dayer LeBaron, Sr.
Nathaniel Baldwin
John the Baptist
An Indian Prophet
Benjamin F. LeBaron
J.H. Sherwood (Jasper No. 7)
Joseph Smith
Paul Fell
Merl Kilgore
Joel F. LeBaron
Eachta Eachta Na
LeRoy Wilson
Alonzo Langford
William L. Goldman
Alexandre R. Caffiaux
Ervin LeBaron
David Roberts
John W. Bryant
Eugene O. Walton
Archie D. Wood
Frank Miller
Roger E. Billings
Ron and Dan Lafferty
Art Bulla
Brian David Mitchell
David Denver Snuffer

Is he here yet?
In my grandfather's case it was John T. Clark.

waialeale
captain of 10

Post by waialeale »

I always felt that this individual will be Joseph Smith but that there will be an Indian Prophet also somehow involved. Image

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

#7 I believe he will be called by God's own voice and given power, by faith, to break mountains, to divide the seas, to dry up waters, to turn them out of their course; to put at defiance the armies of nations, to divide the earth, to break every band, to stand in the presence of God; to do all things according to His will, according to His command, subdue principalities and powers; and this by the will of the Son of God which was from before the foundation of the world. In other words, I believe he will be meek and lowly; a "nobody." And he will be precisely obedient. He will not improvise or freelance. He will not do more or less than what is precisely God's will. He will do all things required of him by God alone, regardless of where the church is in its progress or lack thereof to establish Zion. He may become hated and reviled, perhaps even envied and resented, but nobody will be able to deny his power.

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

marc wrote: December 17th, 2017, 1:30 pm #7 I believe he will be called by God's own voice and given power, by faith, to break mountains, to divide the seas, to dry up waters, to turn them out of their course; to put at defiance the armies of nations, to divide the earth, to break every band, to stand in the presence of God; to do all things according to His will, according to His command, subdue principalities and powers; and this by the will of the Son of God which was from before the foundation of the world. In other words, I believe he will be meek and lowly; a "nobody." And he will be precisely obedient. He will not improvise or freelance. He will not do more or less than what is precisely God's will. He will do all things required of him by God alone, regardless of where the church is in its progress or lack thereof to establish Zion. He may become hated and reviled, perhaps even envied and resented, but nobody will be able to deny his power.
No disrespect, I do know everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but how did you come to your various conclusions? ie.: meek and lowly, nobody(ok, Isaiah49:2 I guess), no freelance etc...thanks

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I couldn’t say that I agreed with any in the poll. My opinion is more along the lines that God will do his work and few will realize what specific things were until long after the events transpire.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

dafty wrote: December 17th, 2017, 1:40 pm
marc wrote: December 17th, 2017, 1:30 pm #7 I believe he will be called by God's own voice and given power, by faith, to break mountains, to divide the seas, to dry up waters, to turn them out of their course; to put at defiance the armies of nations, to divide the earth, to break every band, to stand in the presence of God; to do all things according to His will, according to His command, subdue principalities and powers; and this by the will of the Son of God which was from before the foundation of the world. In other words, I believe he will be meek and lowly; a "nobody." And he will be precisely obedient. He will not improvise or freelance. He will not do more or less than what is precisely God's will. He will do all things required of him by God alone, regardless of where the church is in its progress or lack thereof to establish Zion. He may become hated and reviled, perhaps even envied and resented, but nobody will be able to deny his power.
No disrespect, I do know everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but how did you come to your various conclusions? ie.: meek and lowly, nobody(ok, Isaiah49:2 I guess), no freelance etc...thanks
My observation of the consistency of those the Lord has called to do great works. As meek as Moses was (Numbers 12:3), he was still not precisely obedient, though (Numbers 20:8-12). The Lord tends to call the weak things of the world to do His great things. Joseph Smith, for example, was a "nobody" and a weak thing of the world. And yet, he drew the attention of everyone around him to love him and hate him.

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

marc wrote: December 17th, 2017, 1:58 pm
dafty wrote: December 17th, 2017, 1:40 pm
My observation of the consistency of those the Lord has called to do great works. As meek as Moses was (Numbers 12:3), he was still not precisely obedient, though (Numbers 20:8-12). The Lord tends to call the weak things of the world to do His great things. Joseph Smith, for example, was a "nobody" and a weak thing of the world. And yet, he drew the attention of everyone around him to love him and hate him.
thank u my friend.👍

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

You're welcome. I believe Enoch was a mighty and strong one, too. I would parallel this OMAS to Enoch who ushered in Zion before the world was baptized with water.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

marc wrote: December 17th, 2017, 2:06 pm You're welcome. I believe Enoch was a mighty and strong one, too. I would parallel this OMAS to Enoch who ushered in Zion before the world was baptized with water.
Absolutely. If you read my articles you'll see that I believe Enoch and the DS are closely related in terms of missions and Enoch presiding over the Seraphim...the Davidic Servant himself being their general.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

alaris wrote: December 17th, 2017, 3:25 pm
marc wrote: December 17th, 2017, 2:06 pm You're welcome. I believe Enoch was a mighty and strong one, too. I would parallel this OMAS to Enoch who ushered in Zion before the world was baptized with water.
Absolutely. If you read my articles you'll see that I believe Enoch and the DS are closely related in terms of missions and Enoch presiding over the Seraphim...the Davidic Servant himself being their general.
I'll check them out. I presume they're in your signature link.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

marc wrote: December 17th, 2017, 3:34 pm
alaris wrote: December 17th, 2017, 3:25 pm
I'll check them out. I presume they're in your signature link.
Thanks Marc. Keep in mind the articles are additive. I recommend reading the levels of mankind articles first then the Davidic Servant / Enoch articles. Still much to write about the book of Enoch but I guessed /felt Enoch would have much to say about the Davidic Servant if I was correct on the Levels and Enoch being over that order and indeed he does. Theres even a section that mirrors the seraphim of Isaiah 6 and Enochs heart longs to be with them and the Lord gives Enoch dominion over them.

Chapters 39 through 70ish in the Ethiopian book of enoch reinforce Isaiah prophecies in particular. He even expounds the hidden aspects of the servant and reveals the names of all the archangels and specifically withholds the Elect Ones name. He then refers to him as the concealed one as dafty mentions elsewhere.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Wikipedia wrote:In a letter to Brigham Young, dated May 6, 1867, Phelps mentioned that he believed that Smith's prophecy refers to Adam and his future arrival at Adam-ondi-Ahman.
Also being clothed with light sounds like a resurrected being, prolly an archangel, who will work alongside, but may already possess the keys.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

alaris wrote: December 17th, 2017, 4:27 pm Thanks Marc. Keep in mind the articles are additive. I recommend reading the levels of mankind articles first then the Davidic Servant / Enoch articles. Still much to write about the book of Enoch but I guessed /felt Enoch would have much to say about the Davidic Servant if I was correct on the Levels and Enoch being over that order and indeed he does. Theres even a section that mirrors the seraphim of Isaiah 6 and Enochs heart longs to be with them and the Lord gives Enoch dominion over them.

Chapters 39 through 70ish in the Ethiopian book of enoch reinforce Isaiah prophecies in particular. He even expounds the hidden aspects of the servant and reveals the names of all the archangels and specifically withholds the Elect Ones name. He then refers to him as the concealed one as dafty mentions elsewhere.
Good to know, thanks! I have The Book of Enoch from the Ethiopic (Laurence, 1821). Well, mine's an 1882 reprint. I'll have to dust it off and read that, too.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

President Joseph F Smith said, "The Church of Christ is completely organized, and when the man who shall be called upon to divide unto the Saints their inheritances comes, he will be designated by the inspiration of the Lord to the proper authorities of the Church, appointed and sustained according to the order provided for the government of the Church." (Improvement Era 10:929-930, October 1907.)

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

Arenera wrote: July 12th, 2017, 11:00 am It appears that David ben Denver Snuffer has volunteered to be the one.
Agreed, Denver has basically claimed to be the "one mighty and strong", D&C 85:7, as well as the "marred" servant from 3 Nephi 21:10, and he's claimed the Lord renamed him "David" so he's the self-proclaimed "Davidic Servant" from Isaiah as well.

Totally Ridiculous.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Jesef wrote: December 17th, 2017, 5:55 pm
Arenera wrote: July 12th, 2017, 11:00 am It appears that David ben Denver Snuffer has volunteered to be the one.
Agreed, Denver has basically claimed to be the "one mighty and strong", D&C 85:7, as well as the "marred" servant from 3 Nephi 21:10, and he's claimed the Lord renamed him "David" so he's the self-proclaimed "Davidic Servant" from Isaiah as well.

Totally Ridiculous.
Interesting. Can either of you provide sources where Denver claims to be the one mighty and strong or the marred servant? I'm familiar with his claim that the Lord gave him the name, David, but nothing more.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

marc wrote: December 17th, 2017, 6:11 pm
Jesef wrote: December 17th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Totally Ridiculous.
Interesting. Can either of you provide sources where Denver claims to be the one mighty and strong or the marred servant? I'm familiar with his claim that the Lord gave him the name, David, but nothing more.
Marc, do you go about and tell people a name you received? I think not.

Why did Denver say a name supposedly Christ gave him?

Denver's followers have proclaimed him to be the Davidic servant, like underdog.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Arenera wrote: December 17th, 2017, 6:18 pm Marc, do you go about and tell people a name you received? I think not.
You are correct. I don't.
I don't know. I haven't asked him.
Denver's followers have proclaimed him to be the Davidic servant, like underdog.
Can you quote underdog or any of Denver's followers, please? I'm curious about these claims.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

marc wrote: December 17th, 2017, 6:22 pm
Arenera wrote: December 17th, 2017, 6:18 pm Marc, do you go about and tell people a name you received? I think not.
You are correct. I don't.
I don't know. I haven't asked him.
Can you quote underdog or any of Denver's followers, please? I'm curious about these claims.
I’ve seen posts here, but i dont remember where. Maybe you can search.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Matchmaker wrote: December 17th, 2017, 5:28 pm President Joseph F Smith said, "The Church of Christ is completely organized, and when the man who shall be called upon to divide unto the Saints their inheritances comes, he will be designated by the inspiration of the Lord to the proper authorities of the Church, appointed and sustained according to the order provided for the government of the Church." (Improvement Era 10:929-930, October 1907.)
Wow

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Arenera wrote: December 17th, 2017, 7:23 pm I’ve seen posts here, but i dont remember where. Maybe you can search.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but that was sloppy. You and Jesef made unsupported claims that contributed nothing to the topic.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

marc wrote: December 17th, 2017, 7:46 pm
Arenera wrote: December 17th, 2017, 7:23 pm I’ve seen posts here, but i dont remember where. Maybe you can search.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but that was sloppy. You and Jesef made unsupported claims that contributed nothing to the topic.
That was months ago marc. You are welcome to search it out.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I wish you'd made the options so that we could vote for at least three. I see three on the list that I see as solid possibilities.