The Simple Gospel

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

The Simple Gospel

Post by Rose Garden »

I've seen so many religious debates in my time. I used to be something of a self proclaimed expert myself. I delved into all sorts of complicated topics and sometimes thought I knew something. All that expertise and knowing stuff eventually got me into trouble.

Now I understand that the gospel is very simple. It is all about faith in Jesus Christ and repentance. Focus on those two things and everything else falls into place.

Who is or isn't a true or false prophet, whether the church is true or only the gospel true, whether City Creek Mall is an abomination before the Lord, whether or not to be rebaptized, what to do about homosexuals, etc and so forth, all of that means nothing if your focus is on Christ and your goal is repentance. All of that sorts itself out just fine if you are seeking repentance--or in other words, seeking to become like God.

Much of the heartache in this world could be avoided if we stopped complicating the gospel and just focused on the basics, faith and repentance.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Re: The Simple Gospel

Post by Yahtzee »

I hung out with the Baptists tonight and thought much of the same thing while there. Even when we have the fullness of the gospel, it's ultimately quite simple. It's all about the Savior.
The pastor tonight said "while reading the scriptures, no matter what your reading, if you can't tie it back to Jesus, you're missing the point." I liked that simplicity and want to apply it more in my life and the things I chose to do with it. Can I tie what I'm doing back to Jesus? If not, I am doing it wrong/doing the wrong thing.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Faith and love. I can't summarize the gospel any further.
Faith will help us build love - love for God, love for our fellow men, and love for ourselves. That love will inspire further growth of faith.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

The Gospel is simple. But in addition to Faith and Repentance, there is also Baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost

Paul in Acts 9 after seeing the Resurrected Savior Jesus Christ, and being spiritually born again at that point, still was led to Ananias to be healed of his blindness, be baptized, and receive the Holy Ghost. Paul then went to the Apostles and disciples in Jerusalem where he was no-doubt ordained and assigned to preach with Barnabas.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

brianj wrote: July 11th, 2017, 10:30 pm Faith and love. I can't summarize the gospel any further.
Faith will help us build love - love for God, love for our fellow men, and love for ourselves. That love will inspire further growth of faith.
I agree. I believe repentance is the clearing of those things which prohibit us from loving perfectly.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

davedan wrote: July 11th, 2017, 10:51 pm The Gospel is simple. But in addition to Faith and Repentance, there is also Baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost

Paul in Acts 9 after seeing the Resurrected Savior Jesus Christ, and being spiritually born again at that point, still was led to Ananias to be healed of his blindness, be baptized, and receive the Holy Ghost. Paul then went to the Apostles and disciples in Jerusalem where he was no-doubt ordained and assigned to preach with Barnabas.
Baptism is the first fruits of repentance. True repentance leads a person to baptism. That is why I didn't include it as something you need to focus on because if you are focusing on repentance, you will be led to baptism. The gift of the Holy Ghost is also a consequence of repentance and a result of baptism, in my understanding.

waialeale
captain of 10

Post by waialeale »

Thank you so much OP for your post!!! It brought me to tears of Joy because what you testified of is true! Thank you. I feel like I need to make a bracelet or carry around a card that says 1. Repentance and 2. The Lord Jesus Christ. and 3. What else really matters? By having those simple things close at hand and following your admonition so much stress and contention and confusion would be cast away! I sincerely believe that the mysteries come ONLY after fully heeding the principles you talked about - or mysteries would come but because these simple things are not heeded they become stumbling blocks , an example being looking beyond the mark which some have chosen to do leading them to things that they could not understand as the scriptures teach us!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

waialeale wrote: July 12th, 2017, 1:25 am Thank you so much OP for your post!!! It brought me to tears of Joy because what you testified of is true! Thank you. I feel like I need to make a bracelet or carry around a card that says 1. Repentance and 2. The Lord Jesus Christ. and 3. What else really matters? By having those simple things close at hand and following your admonition so much stress and contention and confusion would be cast away! I sincerely believe that the mysteries come ONLY after fully heeding the principles you talked about - or mysteries would come but because these simple things are not heeded they become stumbling blocks , an example being looking beyond the mark which some have chosen to do leading them to things that they could not understand as the scriptures teach us!
Very good point! The "mysteries" will only cause you to err more than normal if you aren't ready for them.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Meili wrote: July 10th, 2017, 6:39 pm I've seen so many religious debates in my time. I used to be something of a self proclaimed expert myself. I delved into all sorts of complicated topics and sometimes thought I knew something. All that expertise and knowing stuff eventually got me into trouble.

Now I understand that the gospel is very simple. It is all about faith in Jesus Christ and repentance. Focus on those two things and everything else falls into place.

Who is or isn't a true or false prophet, whether the church is true or only the gospel true, whether City Creek Mall is an abomination before the Lord, whether or not to be rebaptized, what to do about homosexuals, etc and so forth, all of that means nothing if your focus is on Christ and your goal is repentance. All of that sorts itself out just fine if you are seeking repentance--or in other words, seeking to become like God.

Much of the heartache in this world could be avoided if we stopped complicating the gospel and just focused on the basics, faith and repentance.

Way to go! You put it simply as if an apostle were to speak to us in plainness. Repentance and Christ are the only things that matter in this life (I guess). These things help us prepare for the Cleansing of America and the world to come!

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

Sooo... should I tithe on net or gross?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

captainfearnot wrote: August 7th, 2017, 1:25 pm Sooo... should I tithe on net or gross?
The scripture says increase. :p

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Meili wrote: July 10th, 2017, 6:39 pm I've seen so many religious debates in my time. I used to be something of a self proclaimed expert myself. I delved into all sorts of complicated topics and sometimes thought I knew something. All that expertise and knowing stuff eventually got me into trouble.

I used to feel this way, but now I don't.
If we simply say it's all about Jesus, that's just a cop out in my opinion.
The gospel is about more than that.

Think about it for a moment. Jesus spent around 3 days performing the atonement. I know it was intense etc, but it was 3 days.
He spent 3 years carrying out his ministry. Teaching the people, telling stories, healing bodies and spirits, organising his church etc. He invested a lot of time and effort in this respect, and I think we short change him when we concentrate on the last 3 days as we tend to do in the church at present.

Christ's ministry was all about creating a heaven on earth, not about a free pass to the celestial kingdom.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

Jesus and his gospel is plain and simple and so approachable and welcoming and comforting and outlines a path that demonstrates the "easiness (order) of that way" and He and his gospel is Illuminating and vast and broad and mind blowing / thrilling and expansive and Christ gives beautiful rewards in the here and now to them that are diligent and steadfast who hunger and thirst after righteousness that they may be filled with the Holy Ghost = soul saving mysteries revealed etc.
Alma 12:

9 And now Alma began to expound these things unto him, saying: It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him.
10 And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.
11 And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser portion of the word until they know nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the chains of hell...

To be a lover and receive the truths found within the Book of Mormon which contains the truths of the fullness of the everlasting Gospel is all that you need to obtain exaltation...
( pretty bold statement I know)
"The Book of Mormon was described by a heavenly messenger to Joseph Smith in 1820 as "giving an account of the former inhabitants of this continent," and "the fulness of the everlasting Gospel was contained in it, as delivered by the Savior" (JS-H 1:34).

Book Mormon teaches and provides an understending of how we can be worthy and obtain that which is symbolically learned within the temple. Which is to say-- how we can line upon line precept upon precept here little there a little advance in mortality to receive God's necessary ordinances and grace and blessings until the veil is parted and we are received by Jesus Christ in this our "alive and awake" second estate existence...

What does it mean to be lulled into a false sense of security etc?

What is the frame of mind and heart of an individual or groups of people who move forward comfortably and content and are satisfied as the scripture above suggest?

King Benjamin tips the Lord's hand in helping us to understand the mentality that prepares us to receive more-- so that we might as Nephi encourages us give heed and diligence to receive the deeper and absolute saving things / blessings of the Kingdom ( and as a result not live in a condition of being lulled away)

Mosiah 2
And these are the words which he spake and caused to be written, saying: My brethren, all ye that have assembled yourselves together, you that can hear my words which I shall speak unto you this day; for I have not commanded you to come up hither to trifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should hearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand, and your minds that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to your view...

After King Benjamin's people transcended membership / natural man status and became actual Saints through the atonement of Jesus Christ / born of God having received the holy ghost = a mighty change of heart and receive attendant spiritual gifts that come along with becoming Christ's spiritual offspring---- this great prophet k.b. then encourages them in the last verse of his speech to continue on to receive more:

Mosiah:

15 Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power, and justice, and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all. Amen.

Book Mormon places so much emphasis on getting to that point of rebirth / receiving the Holy Ghost. I boldly state without reservation to get this illumination to understand these saving truths we need to appreciate this saving narrative within the Book of Mormon with the eyes and ears and heart of a person who has received a mighty change of heart / been born of God and can discern between the "precepts of men and when men are speaking by the power of the Holy Ghost". Truth has to be received by us and understood by us independent of anyone else either teaching or expressing their own example of how they received. Laman and Lemuel wanted to be spoon-fed-- to have it explained to them, but yet they would not put forth the desire and energy and faith and repentance etc to know independent of prophet father Lehi prophet brother Nephi Prophet Brother Sam prophetess (no doubt) mother Sariah etc. The synergy and salvation that could have been theirs to know for themselves and to benefit from above mentioned oracle's among them who knew more expansively ---went wasted. These two boys stayed in a lulled and pacified etc state which degenerated into a wicked and sinful state . As the Book of Mormon explains they could not and did not progress because "they would not understand God's dealings for them" which such dealings opens the windows of Heaven (conversion / being healed) and proves to help us secure our Salvation = is to be anchored to Jesus Christ through living the basic principles and receiving the ordinances that move us towards receiving the Holy Ghost which is to be born of God ( see what that looks like in mosiah chapter 4 chapter 5 )which is explained again and again and again on how this looks within the Book of Mormon.

We truly rest / misuse or take the Book of Mormon lightly to our condemnation...

Where much is given much is expected.

What a blessing! I need to increase my faith and up my game in Jesus...! what a blessing to know that he is my rear-word. And is on my left and on my right and in front of me as I do...

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

captainfearnot wrote: August 7th, 2017, 1:25 pm Sooo... should I tithe on net or gross?
Yup. ;)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Robin Hood wrote: August 7th, 2017, 4:51 pm

Think about it for a moment. Jesus spent around 3 days performing the atonement. I know it was intense etc, but it was 3 days.
He spent 3 years carrying out his ministry. Teaching the people, telling stories, healing bodies and spirits, organising his church etc. He invested a lot of time and effort in this respect, and I think we short change him when we concentrate on the last 3 days as we tend to do in the church at present.

Christ's ministry was all about creating a heaven on earth, not about a free pass to the celestial kingdom.
Yes, the gospel is a lot more. But all of it is based in faith in Jesus Christ and repentance. You can have no real understanding of any aspect of the gospel if you do not have a solid foundation of faith and repentance. If you focus on faith and repentance, the rest of the gospel will distill upon your soul. If you do not, you will not really be established in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

There is the Father's Great Plan of Happiness and then there is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Father's Great Plan encompasses a whole lot more, including the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but the Gospel of Jesus Christ is simple and it is fulfilled when one is baptized by fire and the Holy Ghost, a result of faith in Jesus Christ and repentence (broken heart and contrite spirit).

It is important not to confuse or to conflate the two.

-Finrock

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Meili wrote: August 8th, 2017, 8:14 am

Yes, the gospel is a lot more. But all of it is based in faith in Jesus Christ and repentance. You can have no real understanding of any aspect of the gospel if you do not have a solid foundation of faith and repentance. If you focus on faith and repentance, the rest of the gospel will distill upon your soul. If you do not, you will not really be established in the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I have really appreciated this post from Michael Davis which describes this idea. I have kept everything original from his post, including any typo's and spelling errors:
Michael Davis wrote:What is the FULL MEASURE of our Saviors mortal purpose?

What must happen to fulfill this purpose?

I tell you that it is to fulfill GODS purpose… “To bring to pass the immortality of mankind”. To provide a way that man may be saved. This is called the Plan of Salvation.

This can only come by the means of the spiritual ordinance of “Baptism of Fire” (The Holy Ghost).

Once you have received this ordinance you are in fact in the Gate to the Celestial Kingdom (the Holy Ghost is the Gate). This is when thee Atonement purifies you, “That you may stand Blameless”. Thus completing Gods purpose stated above “To bring to pass the immortality of mankind”, the Plan of Salvation.

This is why our Saviors Gossip is, Repentance, Baptism by water, Baptism by Fire. Once you have received the “Baptism of Fire” you have in fact fulfilled Our Saviors mission. The Fullness of our Saviors Gospel is in fact the same as the Fullness of his Mortal Purpose. The meaning of Fullness is to FULFILL to make FULL

Now if you want to talk about our “Father’s Eternal Plan of Happiness”, there is much more. But that is not part of this discussion and really has no bearing on it. Because it doesn’t excise until you have opened the Gate, or until We have Fulfilled our Saviors Purpose. We know the Eternal Plan of Happiness is there but until you obtain this promise (Baptism of Fire) you can’t obtain the promises that follow.

The reason this is important is… Our Father’s house is a house of order. If we a looking at the prize after the prize you often miss. I will use a sports analogy. You never look passed your opponent in front of you, planning for your next opponent. This will almost always lead to failure and under achieving.

If we don’t know our Saviors Gospel and His Purpose how are we ever going to receive the blessings It has to offer, and if we miss the mark on It then we miss out on everything that follows.

This is Nephi’s vision of the tree of life!! The Gossip of Jesus Christ…. Remember Lehi/Nephi’s vision of the Tree of Life is the Plan of Salvation. The Purpose, Mission and Gospel of our Savior.
-Finrock

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

The baptism of fire is an essential part of the gospel of Jesus Christ. However, there is a lot of confusion concerning it. People have thought they received it when they did not. Others seek it but don't understand what receiving it entails. Jesus mentioned baptism when he relayed his doctrine in plainess to the Nephites. We do need to understand that faith and repentance leads to genuine baptism. But baptism itself will not get us farther along the path of it isn't accompanied by faith and repentance. Baptism without faith and repentance is as effective as taking a bath. However, if you focus on faith and repentance you will eventually be led to baptism.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

Meili wrote: July 10th, 2017, 6:39 pm
Is this the same as saying milk instead of meat?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

You don't have to tithe at all, just do whatever you feel is right. Keep it simple :ymsigh:

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

You mean if we all are lead by the Holy Spirit, there will be no more disputations among us? You mean, if I am focusing on the beam in my eye, I won't have time to see the motes in my neighbors eye? hmmm. Worth considering.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

brlenox wrote: August 8th, 2017, 7:27 pm
Meili wrote: July 10th, 2017, 6:39 pm
Is this the same as saying milk instead of meat?
I would say it's more like not giving up the milk even when you are given meat.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Juliet wrote: August 8th, 2017, 8:51 pm You mean if we all are lead by the Holy Spirit, there will be no more disputations among us? You mean, if I am focusing on the beam in my eye, I won't have time to see the motes in my neighbors eye? hmmm. Worth considering.
:)

I find that when I'm focusing on forgiving the motes I see in others eyes, that's when I see the beams in my eye more clearly. For me, repentance begins with me forgiving others. Then the Spirit is able to open my eyes to my own follies because I'm not distracted by all those motes anymore.