Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
inho
captain of 1,000

Re: Temples in Utah and number of sealing room chairs

Post by inho »

As someone who doesn't have many LDS relatives, and living in a country were it is very rare to have dozens of LDS relatives, and living close to a temple where there is not even room for 35 in the sealing room, I just marvel at this question. I have always envisioned sealings to be done in the presence of only the most closest family. Never have I thought that someone would have 80 or more persons at the sealing.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Maybe you are putting the cart before the horse, no? I would think that once you find the right person, then the two of you would make such a decision together. Just a thought.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

CelestialAngel wrote: June 27th, 2017, 2:01 pm I'm single but want to choose a temple to get sealed in that can hold a lot of chairs for a wedding. I live in Utah county and my 4 choices for a temple would be Payson, Mt Timpanogas, Provo City Center, and Salt Lake. I have a big family and the Provo City Center can only hold 35 chairs so that's out. The Mt Timpanogas can hold 70 chairs and Payson can hold 80 chairs which is much better. I don't know how many chairs the Salt Lake temple can hold does anyone know?
I think crackers is right, you are worrying about something that may not even be a problem. Also, sealings that are more intimate, with fewer guests are often more reverent.

Since you don't even have a bride in mind yet, it seems premature. Maybe you'll meet someone who's from Arizona, Calif, Nevada or Idaho and will want to be sealed in a Temple near where they live...

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

AI2.0 wrote: June 27th, 2017, 5:55 pm
CelestialAngel wrote: June 27th, 2017, 2:01 pm I'm single but want to choose a temple to get sealed in that can hold a lot of chairs for a wedding. I live in Utah county and my 4 choices for a temple would be Payson, Mt Timpanogas, Provo City Center, and Salt Lake. I have a big family and the Provo City Center can only hold 35 chairs so that's out. The Mt Timpanogas can hold 70 chairs and Payson can hold 80 chairs which is much better. I don't know how many chairs the Salt Lake temple can hold does anyone know?
I think crackers is right, you are worrying about something that may not even be a problem. Also, sealings that are more intimate, with fewer guests are often more reverent.

Since you don't even have a bride in mind yet, it seems premature. Maybe you'll meet someone who's from Arizona, Calif, Nevada or Idaho and will want to be sealed in a Temple near where they live...
Question is we don't know if CelestialAngel is a man OR woman?

From my experience my 2 older boys really didn't have a say in where they got married, their brides picked and they were happy to make them happy. My 2nd son was married in the Draper temple in the BIG room...yeah it is really big. For me and my husband we both agreed the Salt Lake temple was the right one. (Of course we only had 2 to choose from back then (Salt Lake and Jordan River) BUT truth be known, I was going to win out on that one even if my future hubby did not agree... my father is a temple sealer in the Salt Lake temple so it was a no brainer for me. :D

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

kittycat51 wrote: June 27th, 2017, 7:25 pm
AI2.0 wrote: June 27th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Question is we don't know if CelestialAngel is a man OR woman?
Yeah, he made this comment in one of his posts above - "But in reality I'll get married where my future wife wants."

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Crackers wrote: June 27th, 2017, 4:29 pm Maybe you are putting the cart before the horse, no? I would think that once you find the right person, then the two of you would make such a decision together. Just a thought.
I don't see this any different from a girl who plans out her future marriage with her future husband. People like to dream and to think about the possibilities of the future. It gives people hope and give them something to look forward to. Sometimes people like to even share their hopes and dreams with others.

-Finrock

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I am very close with my relatives, or at least I was when I was younger. But I never even considered inviting extended family - aunts, uncles, cousins. If I remember correctly, my wife and I invited our parents, our endowed siblings, and one or two close friends.

To each their own, of course. But my personal feeling is that reception(s) are a great opportunity for extended family and neighbors to celebrate your wedding. I am very glad our temple ceremony was very small and intimate. Of course, my wife and I are also both introverts, so...it may just be our natural preference for small groups that made this the right choice for us.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I once went to a huge wedding in the Jordan River temple.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

I have a gigantic family all in Utah and was sealed at Mt.Timp. But I would choose Payson now. Actually, if I were to do it now, I'd elope to Nauvoo.
Salt Lake is so overrun I would not recommend it. We took our kids there for a visit on a Thursday and it had so many couples outside taking pictures with their irreverent friends and family. It felt so worldly. I know some girls dream of that temple though. Just something to consider.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

CelestialAngel wrote: June 28th, 2017, 10:35 am Where did you guys get the idea that sealings are supposed to be attended only be a small number?
I think it's implied by the size of the sealing rooms.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

CelestialAngel wrote: June 28th, 2017, 10:35 am Where did you guys get the idea that sealings are supposed to be attended only be a small number?
Number of Guests. Because the sealing rooms vary in their capacity, you should inform the temple presidency (when you make reservations) how many guests you expect to witness your sealing. Again, only persons who have received their own endowments may witness the sealing, and they must have current and valid temple recommends. In terms of the number of guests, you should remember to invite a limited number—a number appropriate to an intimate and sacred ceremony.

(source: https://www.lds.org/new-era/1971/06/inf ... e?lang=eng)

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Yahtzee wrote: June 28th, 2017, 10:30 am I have a gigantic family all in Utah and was sealed at Mt.Timp. But I would choose Payson now. Actually, if I were to do it now, I'd elope to Nauvoo.
Salt Lake is so overrun I would not recommend it. We took our kids there for a visit on a Thursday and it had so many couples outside taking pictures with their irreverent friends and family. It felt so worldly. I know some girls dream of that temple though. Just something to consider.
I've noticed the same thing. I'd encourage couples to look at another temple for their sealing, one that's not so crowded with other couples being sealed--it really takes some of the sacredness away from the whole experience, IMO.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Okay, I'm going to vent here. I agree with what Yahtzee and AI2.0 stating that Salt Lake tends to be a zoo. My issue with ALL temples is the lack of reverence PERIOD, In the waiting room especially (Salt Lake is the worse in my experience) I can't tell you how many times a Sister will come on the intercom and politely ask and remind people that they are IN the House of the LORD. PLEASE be reverent. It never fails that it will be quiet for a couple of minutes and then the buzzing gets louder and louder. It drives me NUTS. What part of reverence don't people understand? They can talk in whispers but no it's loud talking and laughing etc. I find it appalling. And then people are reminded that when they go outside to greet the bride and groom to not cheer as they come out because it can be heard on the inside. Again people don't listen. I have also been in sealing rooms where you can hear people in an adjoining room for another marriage be quite loud afterwards. My father when he officiates a sealing will come firmly down after it's all over-with and remind everyone that while they exit and hug the bride and groom to do so quietly and reverently because he will NOT tolerate irreverence in the temple. People listen.

Off soap box. (Now about this same topic before sacrament meeting and afterwards....)

P.S. maybe it's just here in Utah? What are other people's experiences?

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

kittycat51 wrote: June 28th, 2017, 7:43 pm Okay, I'm going to vent here. I agree with what Yahtzee and AI2.0 stating that Salt Lake tends to be a zoo. My issue with ALL temples is the lack of reverence PERIOD, In the waiting room especially (Salt Lake is the worse in my experience) I can't tell you how many times a Sister will come on the intercom and politely ask and remind people that they are IN the House of the LORD. PLEASE be reverent. It never fails that it will be quiet for a couple of minutes and then the buzzing gets louder and louder. It drives me NUTS. What part of reverence don't people understand? They can talk in whispers but no it's loud talking and laughing etc. I find it appalling. And then people are reminded that when they go outside to greet the bride and groom to not cheer as they come out because it can be heard on the inside. Again people don't listen. I have also been in sealing rooms where you can hear people in an adjoining room for another marriage be quite loud afterwards. My father when he officiates a sealing will come firmly down after it's all over-with and remind everyone that while they exit and hug the bride and groom to do so quietly and reverently because he will NOT tolerate irreverence in the temple. People listen.

Off soap box. (Now about this same topic before sacrament meeting and afterwards....)

I hear you and agree with most of what you said--especily being light minded with loud laughing etc in the temple. With the many sealings I've attended in my life-- I've only experienced once where a sealer said we should not hug loudly especially no slapping on the back. I remember the fella being overly sober maybe a twinge of stern to him when he expressed this. I also remember quickly feeling an override in my soul that the Lord would love that I emraced my friend and expressed my love and joy for him even if our hug echoed a bit.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

The problem I see is that some people in the temple forget where they are. This isn't surprising, they are excited for the wedding, they are excited about the days events and worry about all that, they are excited to see old friends and family that they might not have seen in awhile and they are stressed and anxious that everything go right--and this causes many to be so absorbed with their own thoughts, interests, events that they don't take the time to look around them and SEE WHERE THEY ARE!! You're in God's house, his presence fills the rooms, it can be like entering another realm, for those who are in the right frame of mind, but some people are so preoccupied with earthly things that they can't feel the reverence which they should feel--if they weren't so distracted. And the problem is that their bringing their earthly distractions into the temple can also ruin and chase away the spiritual atmosphere which ought to be easily felt in the atmosphere of a temple.

I think something ought to be done about it, but exactly what, I don't know. That's why my advice (if anyone asks it) is to choose another temple for the first time to receive endowments and also for temple marriage sealings. I have always encouraged my daughters to choose the Jordan River temple--it has not been popular with couples around here(interesting--Jordan river was the busiest temple for proxy work, but the least busy for live ordinances)--but unfortunately now that it will be remodeled, I wonder if we'll see it have the same problems if one happens to choose a busy day where they must share it with many other couples.
I felt confident that my daughters could have a spiritual day, since Jordan River was not a big draw, but we shall see when it opens next year.
I personally find it sad that couples would choose to drive miles out of their way and out of their temple district to have their ceremony in one of the more elegant temples--because apparently those things matter to them.... but that won't be a concern for those couples after the Jordan River temple is completed.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

AI2.0 wrote: June 29th, 2017, 9:43 am The problem I see is that some people in the temple forget where they are. This isn't surprising, they are excited for the wedding, they are excited about the days events and worry about all that, they are excited to see old friends and family that they might not have seen in awhile and they are stressed and anxious that everything go right--and this causes many to be so absorbed with their own thoughts, interests, events that they don't take the time to look around them and SEE WHERE THEY ARE!! You're in God's house, his presence fills the rooms, it can be like entering another realm, for those who are in the right frame of mind, but some people are so preoccupied with earthly things that they can't feel the reverence which they should feel--if they weren't so distracted. And the problem is that their bringing their earthly distractions into the temple can also ruin and chase away the spiritual atmosphere which ought to be easily felt in the atmosphere of a temple.

I think something ought to be done about it, but exactly what, I don't know. That's why my advice (if anyone asks it) is to choose another temple for the first time to receive endowments and also for temple marriage sealings. I have always encouraged my daughters to choose the Jordan River temple--it has not been popular with couples around here(interesting--Jordan river was the busiest temple for proxy work, but the least busy for live ordinances)--but unfortunately now that it will be remodeled, I wonder if we'll see it have the same problems if one happens to choose a busy day where they must share it with many other couples.
I felt confident that my daughters could have a spiritual day, since Jordan River was not a big draw, but we shall see when it opens next year.
I personally find it sad that couples would choose to drive miles out of their way and out of their temple district to have their ceremony in one of the more elegant temples--because apparently those things matter to them.... but that won't be a concern for those couples after the Jordan River temple is completed.
SHHH on the Jordan River thing. :-$ Don't want to let the secret get out. You are Correct! I was shocked several years ago when my soon to be daughter in law said they were getting married in the Jordan River temple. (It's because that's where her parents married) I kind of had the mind set that all my kids would be married at Salt Lake so grandpa could perform the ceremony. (I found out he could get special permission to seal in other temple's besides Salt Lake so it all worked out :) ) It was a wonderful day! They were one of a few couples there, and it wasn't a mad house, which made the day so much more enjoyable. I look forward to see the new changes when it is all completed.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

kittycat51 wrote: June 29th, 2017, 10:05 am
AI2.0 wrote: June 29th, 2017, 9:43 am The problem I see is that some people in the temple forget where they are. This isn't surprising, they are excited for the wedding, they are excited about the days events and worry about all that, they are excited to see old friends and family that they might not have seen in awhile and they are stressed and anxious that everything go right--and this causes many to be so absorbed with their own thoughts, interests, events that they don't take the time to look around them and SEE WHERE THEY ARE!! You're in God's house, his presence fills the rooms, it can be like entering another realm, for those who are in the right frame of mind, but some people are so preoccupied with earthly things that they can't feel the reverence which they should feel--if they weren't so distracted. And the problem is that their bringing their earthly distractions into the temple can also ruin and chase away the spiritual atmosphere which ought to be easily felt in the atmosphere of a temple.

SHHH on the Jordan River thing. :-$ Don't want to let the secret get out. You are Correct! I was shocked several years ago when my soon to be daughter in law said they were getting married in the Jordan River temple. (It's because that's where her parents married) I kind of had the mind set that all my kids would be married at Salt Lake so grandpa could perform the ceremony. (I found out he could get special permission to seal in other temple's besides Salt Lake so it all worked out :) ) It was a wonderful day! They were one of a few couples there, and it wasn't a mad house, which made the day so much more enjoyable. I look forward to see the new changes when it is all completed.
Two of my daughters received their endowments at Jordan River and it was so nice. So much better than when I've gone with family members to Salt Lake, which is busy and more impersonal, though the surroundings are sooooo impressive, but I think when I'm awed by the surroundings, I'm more distracted from what's actually taking place. I'm afraid our 'secret' will be ruined once the Jordan River is finished and I'm certain it will be just as beautiful and elegant as the other temples. It was made to be a 'working' temple--not so many frills and so, it was not as impressive looks wise, but that temple has a very spiritual feel to it--I think because of all the dedicated service and sacrifice that is offered there.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

AI2.0 wrote: June 29th, 2017, 9:43 am You're in God's house, his presence fills the rooms, it can be like entering another realm, for those who are in the right frame of mind...
The underlined is key in my view. We can be in the right frame of mind regardless of our surroundings. This is probably the best solution too. Being that each person has full control of their mind and how they feel, each individual can make sure that they don't allow others to disturb their frame of mind or allow others to disturb their peace, etc.

-Finrock

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

When one of our sons got married last year, we were so glad he and his fiance chose our little Winter Quarters Temple, instead of the bigger, more (architecturally) impressive Nauvoo or Kansas City temples (we live equal distance from all 3 of them). It was wonderful! Theirs was the only wedding that whole day - we had the bride's room and sealing room all to ourselves with no feeling of needing to rush, etc. Our new daughter-in-law had all the matrons doting on her, because she was the only bride that day, and since she didn't have any other family there (except her parents), I know that made her feel special. And after the sealing, we had the entire temple grounds to ourselves to take photographs (which was good, not having to wait for any other couples, because the heat index was 105 that July afternoon #:-S so we all wanted to get done and into the AC!).

Another son is getting married this August in the Boise Temple, and we're hoping it will be a similar (non-crowded, non-rushed) experience. He and his fiance are students at BYUI in Rexburg, and we're so glad they didn't choose the Rexburg Temple, because it's much like the SLC Temple, especially in the summer - like a revolving door of weddings - very rushed, conveyor-belt-like, etc.

I agree with what's been said about the reverence levels in the temples. A few months back, my husband and I were in the WQ temple, and in the celestial room after the session. Also in the celestial room was a big huge group of people who were there for their loved one getting his endowment so he could go on a mission. All that is great and wonderful - been there, totally understand the excitement and happiness! But it was like a party at the park or something - very loud, not even an attempt to whisper or speak softly - lots of out-loud laughter - and everyone in the small room could hear their conversations, none of which were anything to do with the temple or what the young man had just experienced in getting his own endowment - but rather, they were talking about outside activities, what they had planned for the rest of the day, etc. Made me kinda sad to think the reason for even being there seemed to be lost, forgotten - just something to get 'over with' so the real party could begin.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

kittycat51 wrote: June 28th, 2017, 7:43 pm Okay, I'm going to vent here. I agree with what Yahtzee and AI2.0 stating that Salt Lake tends to be a zoo. My issue with ALL temples is the lack of reverence PERIOD, In the waiting room especially (Salt Lake is the worse in my experience) I can't tell you how many times a Sister will come on the intercom and politely ask and remind people that they are IN the House of the LORD. PLEASE be reverent. It never fails that it will be quiet for a couple of minutes and then the buzzing gets louder and louder. It drives me NUTS. What part of reverence don't people understand? They can talk in whispers but no it's loud talking and laughing etc. I find it appalling. And then people are reminded that when they go outside to greet the bride and groom to not cheer as they come out because it can be heard on the inside. Again people don't listen. I have also been in sealing rooms where you can hear people in an adjoining room for another marriage be quite loud afterwards. My father when he officiates a sealing will come firmly down after it's all over-with and remind everyone that while they exit and hug the bride and groom to do so quietly and reverently because he will NOT tolerate irreverence in the temple. People listen.

Second to the choir, the loudest noise I ever heard on Temple Square was in the Celestial room the first time I attended the Salt Lake temple. People got noisy for the same reason you described people getting noisy in the waiting room. I really didn't care to listen to people discussing where to eat, what to do, as if they just got off Small World and were debating what ride to try next.

I really hate going to temples on Saturday and I hope that situation improves come autumn. Just trying to get into the door it feels like sometimes I have to fight my way through inconsiderate, irreverent people waiting for some newlyweds. I have never heard a loud noise from a sealing room, but I have had experiences in instruction rooms and a chapel interrupted by a very loud chorus of cheers outside.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

AI2.0 wrote: June 29th, 2017, 11:38 am Two of my daughters received their endowments at Jordan River and it was so nice. So much better than when I've gone with family members to Salt Lake, which is busy and more impersonal, though the surroundings are sooooo impressive, but I think when I'm awed by the surroundings, I'm more distracted from what's actually taking place. I'm afraid our 'secret' will be ruined once the Jordan River is finished and I'm certain it will be just as beautiful and elegant as the other temples. It was made to be a 'working' temple--not so many frills and so, it was not as impressive looks wise, but that temple has a very spiritual feel to it--I think because of all the dedicated service and sacrifice that is offered there.
I really don't understand why a lot of people go to the Salt Lake temple to receive their endowments. (On a side note: take out? Who is arrogant enough to take anything from Heavenly Father?) Watching and listening to the movie a much better first time experience than listening to people who struggle to remember their lines. By all means, go to the Salt Lake temple. There are subtle things about how the endowment is performed and subtle symbolism in the building that you will never get in a temple where you remain in one room for the entire presentation, but you aren't going to notice those things until you are already familiar with the movies.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

EmmaLee wrote: June 29th, 2017, 2:16 pm When one of our sons got married last year, we were so glad he and his fiance chose our little Winter Quarters Temple, instead of the bigger, more (architecturally) impressive Nauvoo or Kansas City temples (we live equal distance from all 3 of them). It was wonderful! Theirs was the only wedding that whole day - we had the bride's room and sealing room all to ourselves with no feeling of needing to rush, etc. Our new daughter-in-law had all the matrons doting on her, because she was the only bride that day, and since she didn't have any other family there (except her parents), I know that made her feel special. And after the sealing, we had the entire temple grounds to ourselves to take photographs (which was good, not having to wait for any other couples, because the heat index was 105 that July afternoon #:-S so we all wanted to get done and into the AC!).
I have to ask: What was the groom's experience? When I arrived at the Los Angeles temple to be married, I was told that I couldn't go past the recommend desk until the bride showed up. So much for not seeing the bride before the ceremony.
Then I was directed to get dressed, sit in for a brief talk from the temple president, and go to the sealing office - where I was told to sit in a chair and made to feel like I had been sent to the principal's office. Therefore I wonder what the groom's experience was while the matrons were doting on the bride.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

brianj wrote: June 30th, 2017, 8:04 pm
EmmaLee wrote: June 29th, 2017, 2:16 pm When one of our sons got married last year, we were so glad he and his fiance chose our little Winter Quarters Temple, instead of the bigger, more (architecturally) impressive Nauvoo or Kansas City temples (we live equal distance from all 3 of them). It was wonderful! Theirs was the only wedding that whole day - we had the bride's room and sealing room all to ourselves with no feeling of needing to rush, etc. Our new daughter-in-law had all the matrons doting on her, because she was the only bride that day, and since she didn't have any other family there (except her parents), I know that made her feel special. And after the sealing, we had the entire temple grounds to ourselves to take photographs (which was good, not having to wait for any other couples, because the heat index was 105 that July afternoon #:-S so we all wanted to get done and into the AC!).
I have to ask: What was the groom's experience? When I arrived at the Los Angeles temple to be married, I was told that I couldn't go past the recommend desk until the bride showed up. So much for not seeing the bride before the ceremony.
Then I was directed to get dressed, sit in for a brief talk from the temple president, and go to the sealing office - where I was told to sit in a chair and made to feel like I had been sent to the principal's office. Therefore I wonder what the groom's experience was while the matrons were doting on the bride.
How strange! No, our son was treated just as nicely and special as she was - and I believe he and his bride were together the whole time once we arrived at the temple, other than while they were getting dressed, of course. They never considered not seeing each other before the wedding - and we all met outside the temple beforehand and talked for a bit. We all walked upstairs together and then the temple people took the two of them for a little temple talk, then the men and women separated - my husband and our other son went with the groom to their dressing room, and I went with the bride and her mother to the other dressing room - then we all met in the sealing room. I don't think our son was ever alone for even a moment - even in the dressing room, our male family members were with him.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

EmmaLee wrote: June 30th, 2017, 9:57 pm
brianj wrote: June 30th, 2017, 8:04 pm I have to ask: What was the groom's experience? When I arrived at the Los Angeles temple to be married, I was told that I couldn't go past the recommend desk until the bride showed up. So much for not seeing the bride before the ceremony.
How strange! No, our son was treated just as nicely and special as she was - and I believe he and his bride were together the whole time once we arrived at the temple, other than while they were getting dressed, of course. They never considered not seeing each other before the wedding - and we all met outside the temple beforehand and talked for a bit. We all walked upstairs together and then the temple people took the two of them for a little temple talk, then the men and women separated - my husband and our other son went with the groom to their dressing room, and I went with the bride and her mother to the other dressing room - then we all met in the sealing room. I don't think our son was ever alone for even a moment - even in the dressing room, our male family members were with him.
Interesting. I wonder if having a bunch of family present made the difference. I was alone.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

brianj wrote: July 2nd, 2017, 4:41 pm
EmmaLee wrote: June 30th, 2017, 9:57 pm
brianj wrote: June 30th, 2017, 8:04 pm I have to ask: What was the groom's experience? When I arrived at the Los Angeles temple to be married, I was told that I couldn't go past the recommend desk until the bride showed up. So much for not seeing the bride before the ceremony.
Interesting. I wonder if having a bunch of family present made the difference. I was alone.
Maybe the people in the temple were just socially awkward and didn't know how to keep you company.
However, I really can't understand why they didn't let you go past the recommend desk just by yourself.