Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Gage
captain of 100

Re: How does the Holy Ghost tell you the one you love is real?

Post by Gage »

If more men understood that women dont marry for love they marry for what they are going to get out of the marriage, they could then save themselves a lot of heartache when it came to divorce time.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

I wish I could, I've never really known how to give up, though things get harder and more daunting as I get older.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Gage wrote: June 22nd, 2017, 11:38 am If more men understood that women dont marry for love they marry for what they are going to get out of the marriage, they could then save themselves a lot of heartache when it came to divorce time.
Yeah you got some high level MGTOW stuff going on here, I understand how some men get to be jaded in our current culture, but demonizing all women, like feminists demonize all men, basically makes you an SJW.
Yeah our culture has some lousy parts and it hits men and women in different ways, and it is human nature to want things, relationships do involve that, sure but its been like that since the dawn of humanity.

I've known several women who heavily out earn their boyfriends/husbands, somehow I don't think they're after his money... Your theory falls apart with logic friend.

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

Sirocco wrote: June 22nd, 2017, 11:59 am
Gage wrote: June 22nd, 2017, 11:38 am If more men understood that women dont marry for love they marry for what they are going to get out of the marriage, they could then save themselves a lot of heartache when it came to divorce time.
Yeah you got some high level MGTOW stuff going on here, I understand how some men get to be jaded in our current culture, but demonizing all women, like feminists demonize all men, basically makes you an SJW.
Yeah our culture has some lousy parts and it hits men and women in different ways, and it is human nature to want things, relationships do involve that, sure but its been like that since the dawn of humanity.

I've known several women who heavily out earn their boyfriends/husbands, somehow I don't think they're after his money... Your theory falls apart with logic friend.
Yes I get it, I dont describe every woman and every situation. I am a realists, and if this society cannot see what has happened to the female gender with relation to relationships and marriage (among other things) then you are just turning a blind eye OR you were brought up Mormon like myself and you believe everything the Bishop told you or what the Mormon culture told you about girls. The Mormon culture tells you that Mormon girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice and do no wrong, its simply a myth and not true. But hey some are, My mom for example is a good woman and faithful loyal wife. But today,and with today's woman, things are a bit different.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

I wasn't brought up religious at all, and I am Canadian and in Canada Mormon culture is not so, i don't know, it's not really the same, since we don't have whole neighbourhoods of them (except in say Alberta, where they went first).
I mean I still am not a member as, I feel if I join the church they'd want me to be more social then I am and, I have too many problems to worry about church and the people there and what they think of me (I got enough people to dislike me lol).
Slowly I adopt things into my life, tea is the only thing giving me trouble, I do love tea lol.

The girl I fell head over heals for didn't care about money, though I am not sure (and I don't think she is even sure) what she wants out of a mate, she seems like the sort of person who never will figure that out, and she has said things hinting at that and probably will never have children like she wishes to.

Our culture has created grand issues with both genders, and I can certainly understand why men wouldn't want to be with a lot of millennial ladies, for sure I can.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

So . . . I'm going to say this although I don't know that it will do any good. There have been some beautiful posts on this thread, posts that should give people a sense of hope and an understanding of the mercy of God, wherever their personal path has taken them. Unfortunately, contention is more appealing than union in this fallen world. The jarring sentiments have gained more notice now than the beautiful ones and the thread is on a downward course. As far as I recall, I have yet seen a thread saved from that once it's begun going in that direction. I doubt that I will be able to change the course by pointing this out but I still feel I ought to do it anyway. People have been hurt by this difficult life. Showing compassion will turn the tide.

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

I apologize for hijacking the thread, lets move on from my comments and hear more wonderful love stories.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

No point worrying, instead exercise and eat and drink only healthy choices in small portions.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

The idea of multiple mortal probations is interesting to consider, too. Maybe the spirit tells you to marry someone, not because they're your soulmate but because they'll provide the trials you need to progress. (Similar perhaps to Meili's experience).

However, once you manage during a probation to get sealed to your "soulmate" then you are guaranteed all the help from heaven in order to get back together in the next life. This is why there are those who know they were meant to be with one specific person and only them. They were likely sealed together already in the previous life by the holy spirit of promise - it is an ordinance, like the baptism of fire, that let's you know that God has sealed you to your spouse.
This type of sealing doesn't happen with just any person you may end up married to. The physical ordinance of marriage/sealing happens in the temple but the spiritual ordinance can happen anywhere. The holy spirit of promise let's you know that God recognizes your sealing- without that your sealing is not yet complete.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

passionflower wrote: June 21st, 2017, 9:56 am My marraige sure wasn't my idea, I can tell you that. I didn't even like my husband and never was "in love" with him. I simply obeyed HF and married him. My husband and I were most definately supposed to be married to each other, and only to each other, and to no one else, ever.

Maybe, if I think anyone would llke to hear it, I can tell this story on my Story Hour one day. But I don't really believe it is a story people would actually like to hear. God moves in mysterious ways, and my story is most mysterious. God's ways are higher than our ways, and you have to be on a higher level(than this world ) in order to even believe things could have really happened the way they did to me. But they did.

God will not be outdone in His generosity to those who obey Him. The blessings I have received for my obedience has far exceeded those I might have had if I had married for love or even someone I would have believed was more suited to me.
Would also like to hear

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

butterfly wrote: June 25th, 2017, 1:27 am The idea of multiple mortal probations is interesting to consider, too. Maybe the spirit tells you to marry someone, not because they're your soulmate but because they'll provide the trials you need to progress. (Similar perhaps to Meili's experience).

However, once you manage during a probation to get sealed to your "soulmate" then you are guaranteed all the help from heaven in order to get back together in the next life. This is why there are those who know they were meant to be with one specific person and only them. They were likely sealed together already in the previous life by the holy spirit of promise - it is an ordinance, like the baptism of fire, that let's you know that God has sealed you to your spouse.
This type of sealing doesn't happen with just any person you may end up married to. The physical ordinance of marriage/sealing happens in the temple but the spiritual ordinance can happen anywhere. The holy spirit of promise let's you know that God recognizes your sealing- without that your sealing is not yet complete.
I would like to add my witness to butterfly's. Both scenarios apply to this one life of mine. :) And what she said about the spiritual ordinance happening anywhere is absolutely true and can even happen before the sealing. MMP may also be the explanation there. O:-) :ymparty:

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

My advice is to be taken with a grain of Salt.

Stop dating non-members if you want to marry in the temple. "Having" a girlfriend is not something good in itself. I'd recommend you intentionally avoid it for a good while. Instead, go out with people.

Your dates should aim for mutual discovery, on mental and spiritual levels. Brace yourself, you will be judging this person. Not in the sense that you replace God or imagine you know God's judgment of them. But in the sense that you are going to find out if you like how they tick.
To that end, there's room for all kinds of stuff. Fun, joking, teasing. But also thinking, discussing, debating. If you have done too much of that on your first date or at any time I suppose that is overbearing, but if you have done none of it what the heck kind of progress have you really made except maybe getting hot for each other? Getting hot for the wrong person is pure garbage, don't let it happen. Mixing in the mental and serious is a good way to slow that down. Share things that are important to you. Ask her to share things that are important to her. Tease out details. Bring testimony into your ideas if they are important enough. IF she refuses to do that with you, after multiple attempts, drop her. She doesn't want to know you or is not mature enough. Don't kiss her.

And if you don't like her mind or spirit, dump her. Don't kiss her. She may do the same to you. Get over it. Be glad that you found out her dislike before it would have caused more pain and evil.

You should not do anything physical until you have been able to connect mentally and spiritually for quite some time (in serious ways). Once that starts, the thinking stops. To that end, physical should only become an expression of some degree of love that you have been able to develop mentally. If physical does not express mental love, it's pure garbage poison. Stop it.

I had a high resistance to pure physical or hormonal attraction. That was good in its way but perhaps it was even too high. I'll be honest, it was hard for me to find the motivation to date. So perhaps there's a caveat to my attitude; but on the other hand, I'm sure it's largely right.

Make sure at some point you hear her testimony. You might have to tease it out of her. Think. Discuss.

After you have done all this, then you can have a real conversation with your heavenly father about this person. Do this after you feel a tolerable amount of love but before it becomes unbearable. Or else you have too little or too much skin in the game, and in that case how could you talk interestedly but rationally with your heavenly father or with any other human being? How could you expect an interested or rational response, when you are not interested and rational? It's my testimony that God usually does not.

And after all this, you still may mistake, but you have done a good thing. You are on much better ground than someone who has not.
Good luck.
Last edited by braingrunt on June 28th, 2017, 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

braingrunt wrote: June 28th, 2017, 8:27 am My advice is to be taken with a grain of Salt.

Stop dating non-members if you want to marry in the temple. "Having" a girlfriend is not something good in itself. I'd recommend you intentionally avoid it for a good while. Instead, go out with people.

Your dates should aim for mutual discovery, on mental and spiritual levels. Brace yourself, you will be judging this person. Not in the sense that you replace God or imagine you know God's judgment of them. But in the sense that you are going to find out if you like how they tick.
To that end, there's room for all kinds of stuff. Fun, joking, teasing. But also thinking, discussing, debating. If you have done too much of that on your first date or at any time I suppose that is overbearing, but if you have done none of it what the heck kind of progress have you really made except maybe getting hot for each other? Getting hot for the wrong person is pure garbage, don't let it happen. Mixing in the mental and serious is a good way to slow that down. Share things that are important to you. Ask her to share things that are important to her. Tease out details. Bring testimony into your ideas if they are important enough. IF she refuses to do that with you, after multiple attempts, drop her. She doesn't want to know you or is not mature enough. Don't kiss her.
You should not do anything physical until you have been able to connect mentally and spiritually for quite some time (in serious ways). Once that starts, the thinking stops. To that end, physical should only become an expression of some degree of love that you have been able to develop mentally. If physical does not express mental love, it's pure garbage poison. Stop it.
I had a high resistance to pure physical or hormonal attraction. That was good in its way but perhaps it was even too high. I'll be honest, it was hard for me to find the motivation to date. So perhaps there's a caveat to my attitude; but on the other hand, I'm sure it's largely right.

Make sure at some point you hear her testimony. You might have to tease it out of her. Think. Discuss.

After you have done all this, then you can have a real conversation with your heavenly father about this person. Do this after you feel a tolerable amount of love but before it becomes unbearable. Or else you have too little or too much skin in the game, and in that case how could you talk interestedly but rationally with your heavenly father or with any other human being? How could you expect an interested or rational response, when you are not interested and rational? It's my testimony that God usually does not.

And after all this, you still may mistake, but you have done a good thing. You are on much better ground than someone who has not.
Good luck.
Good advice here, in my opinion.

-Finrock

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

If "you're the one that i love" song comes into your mind, you know that it is real!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

braingrunt wrote: June 28th, 2017, 8:27 am My advice is to be taken with a grain of Salt.

And if you don't like her mind or spirit, dump her. Don't kiss her. She may do the same to you. Get over it. Be glad that you found out her dislike before it would have caused more pain and evil.

Good luck.
In summary, become friends first before seeking any kind of a physical relationship.

I was talking with a friend recently about how often we are asking, should I marry this person, when we've never even tried to become friends with them first. We date to marry not to become friends. A marriage in which the husband and wife are not friends is a business arrangement, not a true marriage. It's set up to invite lots and lots of problems into the life of that family.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

Meili wrote: June 28th, 2017, 9:17 am
braingrunt wrote: June 28th, 2017, 8:27 am ...
In summary, become friends first before seeking any kind of a physical relationship.

I was talking with a friend recently about how often we are asking, should I marry this person, when we've never even tried to become friends with them first. We date to marry not to become friends. A marriage in which the husband and wife are not friends is a business arrangement, not a true marriage. It's set up to invite lots and lots of problems into the life of that family.
I advise caution when using the "friend" word. Yes, it's correct... but what kind of friend, is key. Certainly not the kind who likes to hear her talk about other boys. And certainly the kind of friend who you respect, not just like.

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

Relationships start from attraction/physical chemistry. A woman doesnt go out hoping to find someone to become a good friend that she can later marry. She goes out looking for an attractive man to mate with. Women could care less how compatible you might be(she already has plans to change you anyway) she doesnt care about becoming best friends, she only cares that she finds you attractive and of course how much money you have. If a woman keeps you in the friend zone, it just means she doesnt find you attractive.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

Bitter.
But yeah don't accept normal friendship definitions, they won't help you cross the finish line.
And yeah, try to look good and be a good provider. You should. A woman should want that. She is not wrong to.
A good woman will also be interested in your goodness. If not, dump her.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I don't believe there are different types of friends. There are genuine friends and then there are people you associate with who call you friend but who are really unfriendly. A genuine friend should always be someone you could marry, if you were attracted to them and them to you.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

Meili wrote: June 28th, 2017, 8:16 pm I don't believe there are different types of friends. There are genuine friends and then there are people you associate with who call you friend but who are really unfriendly. A genuine friend should always be someone you could marry, if you were attracted to them and them to you.
Sure I could agree with that, but one thing I think I'd say, is that if either person is unwilling to tweak the parameters of the friendship, then they are not a current candidate for you, and you should probably date other people instead.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

braingrunt wrote: June 28th, 2017, 8:59 pm
Meili wrote: June 28th, 2017, 8:16 pm I don't believe there are different types of friends. There are genuine friends and then there are people you associate with who call you friend but who are really unfriendly. A genuine friend should always be someone you could marry, if you were attracted to them and them to you.
Sure I could agree with that, but one thing I think I'd say, is that if either person is unwilling to tweak the parameters of the friendship, then they are not a current candidate for you, and you should probably date other people instead.
Yes, if you are seeking marriage with them but they are uninterested you should certainly not pursue dating them. But if that change means they are no longer your friend, then the friendship wasn't true in the first place.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

I agree 100% with all those above who say to get to know the person really well before you do anything physical with them, and that includes kissing them and body to body contact (close hugs where body parts are touching and too close dancing), because, as said above, when the physical starts the brain becomes intoxicated and no longer thinks clearly, and you may likely make a monstrous marriage mistake.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

David13 wrote: June 20th, 2017, 9:56 pm Yes and no. I have thought that for a long time. But many people have told me I have to be open, receptive, in other words, I have to look for it.

I started out believing it would find me. Then the (later) wife started chasing me. (She's gone now). Then when she quit chasing me, it left a space, a hole, something missing. It was really just lust.

I think the bottom line is as GClay puts it. You can make it work with anyone. Even the best of them (the opposite sex) are not perfect. They may seem perfect on the honeymoon, but that's over rather quickly.

Then reality sets in. And both parties must deal with it, accept it, and make it work. If they want to.
dc
I'm going to disagree with you and George, and I'll go even further by asking both of you to never post that sentiment again.

NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WORK AT IT, you will not be able to make it work with someone who is not also committed to the relationship.
Think about it: I know a lot of people whose spouse was abusive, became addicted to drugs or alcohol, was a serial adulterer, or actively violating their covenants in many other ways. Telling someone who moved out and filed for divorce when their husband invited his homosexual partner to move in to the guest room, or whose wife moved in with an old boyfriend and filed for divorce, that they could have made it work with that person is not only false but hurtful.

Please ponder modifying your statement before making it in the future to something like: You can make it work with anyone who is willing to make it work with you.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Meili wrote: June 28th, 2017, 9:17 am We date to marry not to become friends. A marriage in which the husband and wife are not friends is a business arrangement, not a true marriage. It's set up to invite lots and lots of problems into the life of that family.
I have to ask about this because I really don't comprehend the idea. And I have had one single LDS woman berate me for suggesting that I would date someone I didn't have a strong interest to marry. In my background you date people you feel some attraction to in order to have fun and get to know someone. If you don't have an interest you don't continue dating, but if you do have a stronger interest in one another you date regularly, date exclusively, and hopefully get engaged or married.

The way some women (who seem to have ring rabies) express themselves it sounds like the appropriate way to approach an LDS woman is something along the lines of: "Hi. You caught my eye from across the room and, I don't know you and you don't know me, but may we begin courtship?"

Is it really this bad?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Gage wrote: June 22nd, 2017, 11:35 am Im not trying to generalize, just trying to clear up some misconceptions about Mormon girls that can help with issues Mormon men may have and why they are wondering why everything isnt working out like they were told it would. Mormon girls are not "pure" like your Bishop told you when you were a young man. They are not "always" honest, yes they do lie, a lot. Yes they do have sex before their temple wedding, they are all not pure innocent virgins like your Bishop or SP told you and thinks they are. I would suspect many Mormon men married what they "thought" were virgins.
Gage, there are plenty of women like that in the LDS church but there are also plenty of NAWALTs. One of the parting insults from the woman I married was: "The worst thing about this is I'm not going to get what I deserve after the years I gave you." She made it clear that she was only interested in money and was resentful that she wouldn't get a payoff with the divorce.
I have gotten to know that many men are married to women who only use him as a utility, who think they are entitled to the man always doing whatever she wants him to do so she can feel loved but that they have no obligation to do what would make him feel loved, and who would happily spend him into bankruptcy then berate him for the situation.

However, I have been blessed to get an intimate look into many other relationships and found amazing women who devote themselves to their husbands, who sincerely love him, and who make me feel like their home is second only to temples. There are plenty of these women in the church, but of course they aren't easy to find. I look forward to the tremendous blessing of finding my angel and I have a testimony that it will happen.

MGTOW media really helped me cope with my wife leaving and how poorly I was treated, but now I am recovering and looking forward to the blessing of a woman who really will be an eternal companion.Work on your faith then seek out your eternal companion. You will find her.