Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Was polygamy from God or Satan?

Post by MMbelieve »

shadow wrote: June 30th, 2017, 10:47 am
MMbelieve wrote: June 29th, 2017, 9:19 pm
shadow wrote: June 29th, 2017, 6:20 pm
MMbelieve wrote: June 27th, 2017, 3:04 pm

Thanks. It feels right to me and I glad someone else can see its possibility. I have 1 lone of mormon pioneers and I had an ancestor married to BY as well, she was like 64 years old or something.

When Joseph died, many of his wives were then sealed to BY because BY believed it to be his duty to his brother Joseph to take care of them. If he was sealed to them, then I really don't fully understand that line of thinking.

We do know that women were married/sealed to more than one man back then. So yes, there is likely more to the sealings than what we automatically think.

For example the Kimball daughter, she was sealed to Joseph at 14 years old for one reason only...to join the Smith and Kimball families. She wasn't to actually be his wife.

Modern prophets have stated that at the end of this mortal time period, we will have lots of suprises. That says alot. What we think isint always true or complete.

If we think of Benson being sealed to his cousin in a polygamous view, we miss the other view. The view that he did an honorable deed as a priesthood man to ensure his family wouldn't be lost for eternity. Two very different feelings come to me depending on which angle I think of.

One I honor and have no concern but minimal questions, the other I view as quite negative and find it confusing and brings deep questions to my soul as a member of this faith and as a woman.
Maybe you're forgetting the wording of the covenant. The sealing we're referencing is that of actually being married for eternity, not just becoming part of a family or a group. It's the wife giving herself to her husband and the husband taking the woman as his wife.
I'm glad you pointed that out. That makes me think of all the marriage talk found in the scriptures. Also the bride talk too. We are (as a church) married to Christ as His bride. God to Christ and Man to woman. Maybe there is more symbolism pertaining to the marriage sealing we perform and that is why so many women can be "sealed" to one man and it's really a non-issue. I mean, how many will be sealed to Christ as His bride? Including men.

We certainly don't know exactly how it will all turn our or look like, we are only giving our best guess based in our knowledge and imagination.
I think you're confusing parables and symbols with the real thing. The marriage covenant is not symbolic, it's real. Christ marrying the church is symbolic, it's not real.
My guess is we know more about being married for eternity than you seem to want to admit.
If President Benson married his cousin posthumously (I'm still surprised by this), then the two will be husband and wife just the same as his first wife will be husband and wife.
What do husband's and wife's do? They create families together. They bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of their children.
Welcome to eternity.
Things can be "real" and symbolic. We believe there was a Adam and Eve but we also know that the creation story and much of the temple is symbolic.

BackBlast
captain of 100

Re: Was polygamy from God or Satan?

Post by BackBlast »

Finrock wrote: June 30th, 2017, 2:07 am
BackBlast wrote: June 29th, 2017, 9:41 pm Speaking personally, I have always dreaded it after a fashion. I have had struggles keeping one woman happy. And any man who wants to live with an unhappy woman is certifiably insane or past feeling.
I get what you are saying here (then again, maybe I've misunderstood you) but, the reality is that it isn't anyone else's job to keep one's self happy than themselves. If a woman requires a man to keep her happy and a man requires the woman to be happy before he feels happy, this to me describes codependency. Of course I believe two people who love one another will enjoy being in each other's company, will look out for each other, server each other, and have fun together, but happiness is a result of personal choices that we make each day. Happiness is an internal thing which we can have and maintain regardless of external circumstances or regardless of other people. Of course others, like a spouse, can either contribute to our overall happiness or contribute to our overall misery, but each individual chooses to be happy because they "live after the manner of happiness".

I would think that a woman who is living in a celestial order is independently happy or she would not desire a codependent relationship as codependency is certainly not celestial.
Let me say in different words what I mean. We are inherently social beings. How others act and treat us has some bearing on our feelings, even if we choose not to take offense or let it make us depressed. This is especially true among our core acquaintance. How we act does impact how the Father feels, even if His condition is primarily dominated by joy at those of us who choose the better part. I've never met a female that doesn't have certain preconceptions or ideas as to how much and how often she wants to see of her husband and how she wants to be treated by him. I can't help but feel it is my responsibility to add to a wife's joy by doing my best to meet those ideas as I can.