Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Re: Abraham Isaac and Jacob integrity?

Post by DesertWonderer »

I tend to worry more about my own integrity rather than the supposed lack of someone else's.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

There are layers of symbolism and hidden meaning behind the lives of the patriarchs. I'm not saying these things didn't happen - there is just so much rich symbolism in the events and lives of those in the Old Testament, that it is sometimes hard to comprehend that all of these stories happened within the bounds of agency. Take Joseph's life for example and the Christ-like parallels:
  • Buried in the ground
  • Betrayed by his people - for money
  • Initial trial end with temptation
  • Descends below - Prison
  • Ascends above all - second most powerful in Egypt - rules at Pharoah's behest.
  • Saves his people who betrayed him
etc. etc.

Jacob's wrestling with an angel may have been a metaphor where it was really more alike Enos. If it were literal, I don't think there would have been a true antagonism between Jacob and the Angel.

I don't want to open a can of worms with polygamy as there are other threads on these forums, but according to D&C 132 polygamy IS an eternal principle as much as those who try to speak down this truth wish it weren't.

Abraham's oldest son Ishmael is highly symbolic of rejected people imho. Just about every major prophet you can think of was a younger brother. It happens so often, that there is absodefinitely an eternal principle at play here. The lesson I believe is the age of your soul does not equal eternal inheritance. Souls are supplanted all the time - just like Jacob stood in Esau's "shoes" (or skins - eghk) to receive Esau's intended inheritance. Esau selling his inheritance for food is also highly symbolic of placing the temporal before the spiritual.

God commanded Abraham to lie just like he commanded Nephi to murder. What is the lesson? Blind obedience will only get you so far.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

I've had similar thoughts about the stories regarding Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. I haven't found any good answers about the problems with their stories, but I feel like we clearly don't have complete or accurate information about them. Also, they lived in very different times, I think its hard for us to understand them or judge their actions fairly.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

http://www.davidvanalstyne.com/pg-power ... hamic.html

https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/sperry-sym ... hamic-test

These two papers may give you some additional understanding of Abrahamic tests.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I don't believe Jacob wrestled with an angel, especially not literally. I do believe this scene is metaphorical. He "wrestled" with the Lord as the brother of Jared did, conversing with the Lord through the veil. Jacob names the place Peniel because He saw God face to face (not wrestled with an angel). It is possible that an angel brought Jacob to the Lord as true messengers ought to do. In the temple endowment session, each person approaches the veil in an "embrace." Part of this embrace involves contact in certain places of the body. Thus Jacob's sinews are mentioned. Just my two cents, anyway.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Just one point.
Abraham didn't technically lie to Pharaoh regarding Sarah. They shared the same father, so it wasn't a lie.
He was being economical with the truth.

Jamescm
captain of 100

Post by Jamescm »

Regarding Isaac receiving Esau's blessing, we know that the priesthood is the power of God; it can't be "fooled". If a blessing is for someone, you can't "trick" the elder or high priest into giving it to someone else instead as if it were some magical incantation.

After thousands of years, it is probably the case that that entire segment of the story, as presented in our current old testament, is an example of corruption in the scriptures.

As for demanding Esau's entire birthright in order to obtain food? There's an entire family's life time of context missing right there. I wouldn't necessarily condemn Isaac for it-the purpose of the story is clearly because the few events described are important for us to know.
Abraham dismissing Hagar? This was at Sarah's behest; Abraham was concerned for her until the Lord Himself told him to just do it and that all would work out. As for Hagar and Ishmael themselves? Again, a life of context lies outside the narrative of the story. If it was noted that Ishmael teased Isaac or whatever, the impression I get is that of regular conflict, and not a petty one-off trespass.