Oath and Covenant of the priesthood

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Oath and Covenant of the priesthood

Post by marc »

D&C 84:33 For whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken, and the magnifying their calling, are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies.

34 They become the sons of Moses and of Aaron and the seed of Abraham, and the church and kingdom, and the elect of God.

35 And also all they who receive this priesthood receive me, saith the Lord;

36 For he that receiveth my servants receiveth me;

37 And he that receiveth me receiveth my Father;

38 And he that receiveth my Father receiveth my Father’s kingdom; therefore all that my Father hath shall be given unto him.

39 And this is according to the oath and covenant which belongeth to the priesthood.

40 Therefore, all those who receive the priesthood, receive this oath and covenant of my Father, which he cannot break, neither can it be moved.
Once one has been faithful in the Aaronic and the Melchizedek Priesthood, which one was ordained to, one can then "also" receive the fulness of the priesthood, which one receives directly from God by His own voice and not by any ordination of man or men. One receives this "priest" HOOD (brotherHOOD, neighborHOOD, etc) by receiving the Lord Himself. It is an association with God and angels. One partakes in association with such High Priests after the order of the Son of God. It is the Father who gives the oath that one is a partaker of His glory, power, etc. God declares it. He alone confirms this priesthood by His own voice. And what is this priesthood and power associated with it?
JST Genesis 14:27 And thus, having been approved of God, he was ordained an high priest after the order of the covenant which God made with Enoch,

28 It being after the order of the Son of God; which order came, not by man, nor the will of man; neither by father nor mother; neither by beginning of days nor end of years; but of God;

29 And it was delivered unto men by the calling of his own voice, according to his own will, unto as many as believed on his name.

30 For God having sworn unto Enoch and unto his seed with an oath by himself; that every one being ordained after this order and calling should have power, by faith, to break mountains, to divide the seas, to dry up waters, to turn them out of their course;

31 To put at defiance the armies of nations, to divide the earth, to break every band, to stand in the presence of God; to do all things according to his will, according to his command, subdue principalities and powers; and this by the will of the Son of God which was from before the foundation of the world.

32 And men having this faith, coming up unto this order of God, were translated and taken up into heaven...
Though Enoch was first ordained to the priesthood by Adam at age 25 (D&C 107:48), he later received the fullness by God, Himself, as we read above in JST Genesis 14. The same thing with Moses, who was first ordained by Jethro (D&C 84:6), yet Moses received the fullness by God, Himself, just like Enoch did and had power to bring forth water from a rock and part the Red Sea. There are other examples. Thus by the "oath and covenant" that God personally makes to each who comes unto this priesthood as we read above in D&C 84 after previously being ordained by man, does one obtain that fullness from God directly, which power in the priesthood enables one to turn rivers from their courses, set at defiance the armies of nations, etc. unto the redeeming of Zion (bringing a Zion people back into God's presence by the parting of the veil). It is one thing to be ordained to the Aaronic priesthood and the Melchizedek priesthood as many men are in the church to administer saving ordinances. It is entirely another to be ordained personally by the calling of Jehovah's own voice, by an oath, which He swears and cannot break, enabling those who now associate as fellow "high priests" to have power over the elements. When Moses was taken, the Melchizedek Priesthood was taken. When Joseph Smith was taken, a portion of the Melchizedek Priesthood remained. It is up to each to come unto the priesthood offered by God alone by His own voice through that oath and covenant, which He cannot break.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: Oath and Covenant of the priesthood

Post by marc »

One more thing to ponder continuing with D&C 84 above:
D&C 84:42 And wo unto all those who come not unto this priesthood which ye have received, which I now confirm upon you who are present this day, by mine own voice out of the heavens; and even I have given the heavenly hosts and mine angels charge concerning you.
The Lord pronounced one wo unto those who do not "come unto this priesthood..."

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Continuing:
D&C 84:31 Therefore, as I said concerning the sons of Moses—for the sons of Moses and also the sons of Aaron shall offer an acceptable offering and sacrifice in the house of the Lord, which house shall be built unto the Lord in this generation, upon the consecrated spot as I have appointed—

32 And the sons of Moses and of Aaron shall be filled with the glory of the Lord, upon Mount Zion in the Lord’s house, whose sons are ye; and also many whom I have called and sent forth to build up my church.

33 For whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken, and the magnifying their calling, are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies.

34 They become the sons of Moses and of Aaron and the seed of Abraham, and the church and kingdom, and the elect of God.
Therefore:

The Sons of Aaron are those who have been ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood and are faithful.
The Sons of Moses are those who have been ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood and are faithful.

However, as we read in the above posts:

The Sons of God are those who have been confirmed by God, Himself by the calling of His own voice when they "come unto this priesthood."
D&C 39:4 But to as many as received me, gave I power to become my sons; and even so will I give unto as many as will receive me, power to become my sons.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

The brother of Jared became a "son."
Ether 3:17 And now, as I, Moroni, said I could not make a full account of these things which are written, therefore it sufficeth me to say that Jesus showed himself unto this man in the spirit, even after the manner and in the likeness of the same body even as he showed himself unto the Nephites.

18 And he ministered unto him even as he ministered unto the Nephites; and all this, that this man might know that he was God, because of the many great works which the Lord had showed unto him.

19 And because of the knowledge of this man he could not be kept from beholding within the veil; and he saw the finger of Jesus, which, when he saw, he fell with fear; for he knew that it was the finger of the Lord; and he had faith no longer, for he knew, nothing doubting.

20 Wherefore, having this perfect knowledge of God, he could not be kept from within the veil; therefore he saw Jesus; and he did minister unto him.
Jesus "ministered" to the brother of Jared, who "received" Jesus. And because he "received" Jesus, he became Jesus' son.
14 Behold, I am he who was prepared from the foundation of the world to redeem my people. Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son. In me shall all mankind have life, and that eternally, even they who shall believe on my name; and they shall become my sons and my daughters.
Being "redeemed" from the Fall is to be brought back into Jesus' presence, which is to receive His fullness. This is what happens when one parts the veil as the bro of Jared parted the veil. This is what God wants us all to do and why we have been given this record.
Ether 4:11 But he that believeth these things which I have spoken, him will I visit with the manifestations of my Spirit, and he shall know and bear record. For because of my Spirit he shall know that these things are true; for it persuadeth men to do good.

12 And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me. I am the same that leadeth men to all good; he that will not believe my words will not believe me—that I am; and he that will not believe me will not believe the Father who sent me. For behold, I am the Father, I am the light, and the life, and the truth of the world.

13 Come unto me, O ye Gentiles, and I will show unto you the greater things, the knowledge which is hid up because of unbelief.

14 Come unto me, O ye house of Israel, and it shall be made manifest unto you how great things the Father hath laid up for you, from the foundation of the world; and it hath not come unto you, because of unbelief.

15 Behold, when ye shall rend that veil of unbelief which doth cause you to remain in your awful state of wickedness, and hardness of heart, and blindness of mind, then shall the great and marvelous things which have been hid up from the foundation of the world from you—yea, when ye shall call upon the Father in my name, with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, then shall ye know that the Father hath remembered the covenant which he made unto your fathers, O house of Israel.
One will know once one parts the veil and "receives" Jesus.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

BUMP

In light of the current change in structure of priesthood quorums and offices in the church.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I appreciate what President Nelson said in priesthood session this evening about elders missing opportunities to utilize their priesthood authority to bless others. They mistake the difference between blessing a baby and simply praying for a baby, for example.

I want to reemphasize the difference between the authority to administer in ordinances such as blessing the sacrament or baptizing new members and the authority and power to heal someone. There is a vast difference between the power and authority in administration of church duties and the power and authority over the elements, which power and authority belongs to The Priesthood after the Order of the Son of God and why I have shared my thoughts on this topic. I hope we all "come unto this priesthood" as Jesus Christ admonishes lest a "wo" come upon us.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Alma 13:1 And again, my brethren, I would cite your minds forward to the time when the Lord God gave these commandments unto his children; and I would that ye should remember that the Lord God ordained priests, after his holy order, which was after the order of his Son, to teach these things unto the people.

2 And those priests were ordained after the order of his Son, in a manner that thereby the people might know in what manner to look forward to his Son for redemption.

3 And this is the manner after which they were ordained—being called and prepared from the foundation of the world according to the foreknowledge of God, on account of their exceeding faith and good works; in the first place being left to choose good or evil; therefore they having chosen good, and exercising exceedingly great faith, are called with a holy calling, yea, with that holy calling which was prepared with, and according to, a preparatory redemption for such.

4 And thus they have been called to this holy calling on account of their faith, while others would reject the Spirit of God on account of the hardness of their hearts and blindness of their minds, while, if it had not been for this they might have had as great privilege as their brethren.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Something to ponder:
...according to the foreknowledge of God, on account of their exceeding faith and good works...
Before the world was, God possessed the foreknowledge of those of us today who would exercise "exceeding faith and good works." If we are to liken the scriptures unto us, it must be so for God is no respector of persons.

Therefore, what distinguishes having faith from having exceeding faith? What manner of good works are manifest by such exceeding faith? What does that look like in each of our personal lives?
...while others would reject the Spirit of God on account of the hardness of their hearts and blindness of their minds, while, if it had not been for this they might have had as great privilege as their brethren...
It is the hardness of one's heart and the blindness of one's mind that causes one to forfeit such a blessing freely given. This is what Jesus Christ declared to Moroni.
Ether 4:13 Come unto me, O ye Gentiles, and I will show unto you the greater things, the knowledge which is hid up because of unbelief.

14 Come unto me, O ye house of Israel, and it shall be made manifest unto you how great things the Father hath laid up for you, from the foundation of the world; and it hath not come unto you, because of unbelief.

15 Behold, when ye shall rend that veil of unbelief which doth cause you to remain in your awful state of wickedness, and hardness of heart, and blindness of mind, then shall the great and marvelous things which have been hid up from the foundation of the world from you—yea, when ye shall call upon the Father in my name, with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, then shall ye know that the Father hath remembered the covenant which he made unto your fathers, O house of Israel.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Lectures on Faith 6:4 Such was and always will be the situation of the saints of God, that unless they have an actual knowledge that the course that they are pursuing is according to the will of God, they will grow weary in their minds and faint; for such has been and always will be the opposition in the hearts of unbelievers and those that know not God, against the pure and unadulterated religion of heaven, (the only thing which ensures eternal life,) that they will persecute, to the uttermost, all that worship God according to his revelations, receive the truth in the love of it, and submit themselves to be guided and directed by his will, and drive them to such extremities that nothing short of an actual knowledge of their being the favorites of heaven, and of their having embraced that order of things which God has established for the redemption of man, will enable them to exercise that confidence in him necessary for them to overcome the world, and obtain that crown of glory which is laid up for them that fear God.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Hi Marc,
I’ve got some questions - not to be argumentative but because I’ve been thinking about this for a while and feel like I (& my family) could benefit by understanding it better. So I’d appreciate what you or anyone else could offer in that way. I realize that the mysteries of God are just that - but I think it’s still good to learn and improve as possible.

1) How do you daily practice priesthood?

2) How is priesthood magnified?

3) What exactly does it mean that “many are called but few are chosen”?
I know what D&C 121 35-37 says...
“Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?

Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson—
That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.

That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.”

Many lds are very sick physically and especially mentally. Utah leads the nation in anti-depressants and is high statistically in drug abuse, suicide and divorce. With so many priesthood holders, you’d think we’d all be much better off. I can’t help but wonder if it is because so few really practice priesthood - many are called but few chosen. I don’t put all of the blame on priesthood holders. For one thing they may feel burdened by a long list of shame-based “shoulds.” And there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of teaching and showing by example how to really use the priesthood power to heal. I think in part because psych-ology (study of the soul) and “the kingdom of God within” (Luke 17:20-21) are ignored.

4) If Christ was here and led the church, would priesthood instruction differ? If so, how?

5) How do you explain the priesthood - God’s power manifest through miracles - fascilitated by the many who are not lds/Mormon? Is the personal relationship with God (especially active faith) more authoritative than lds priesthood ordination?

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Why do we have the priesthood of Aaron if Melchizedek enables the bearer to officiate in the Aaronic Priesthood?

Why do our sons have the Aaronic until they become adults?

I believe the beginning of the answer lies in the temple where who we are now aligns with the wearing of the robes of Aaron.

Facsimile 3 demonstrates the eternal principle of becoming by sitting on the throne above. We are wielding the priesthood above to become priests forever after the order of Melchizedek. The two priesthoods in our church symbolize who we were, who we are, and who we will be.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Thinker wrote: July 6th, 2018, 5:07 pm Hi Marc,
I’ve got some questions - not to be argumentative but because I’ve been thinking about this for a while and feel like I (& my family) could benefit by understanding it better. So I’d appreciate what you or anyone else could offer in that way. I realize that the mysteries of God are just that - but I think it’s still good to learn and improve as possible.

1) How do you daily practice priesthood?

Hmm, to me, that's like asking how do you practice neighborhood? Priests are called, though, to call people to repentance. So I guess that is how I "practice priesthood." Going back to JST Genesis 14, Enoch was called and given power over the elements and he went and labored to cry repentance. We can read more about it in the Pearl of Great Price. I guess part of "practicing priesthood" or even the sum of it is doing God's work, which is bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

2) How is priesthood magnified?

I would say the more of these high priests there are, the greater the priesthood is magnified.

3) What exactly does it mean that “many are called but few are chosen”?
I know what D&C 121 35-37 says...
“Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?

Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson—
That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.

That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.”

Many lds are very sick physically and especially mentally. Utah leads the nation in anti-depressants and is high statistically in drug abuse, suicide and divorce. With so many priesthood holders, you’d think we’d all be much better off. I can’t help but wonder if it is because so few really practice priesthood - many are called but few chosen. I don’t put all of the blame on priesthood holders. For one thing they may feel burdened by a long list of shame-based “shoulds.” And there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of teaching and showing by example how to really use the priesthood power to heal. I think in part because psych-ology (study of the soul) and “the kingdom of God within” (Luke 17:20-21) are ignored.

It begs the question, called to what? Chosen for what? I believe the answer is found in my presentation of this topic, or in other words, in D&C 84 as quoted above.

4) If Christ was here and led the church, would priesthood instruction differ? If so, how?

We will have to wait to find out. And if we are faithful, we will understand what it means to receive the "fullness" of the priesthood.

5) How do you explain the priesthood - God’s power manifest through miracles - fascilitated by the many who are not lds/Mormon? Is the personal relationship with God (especially active faith) more authoritative than lds priesthood ordination?

I believe these two questions make presumptions, which I think ought to be reconsidered and perhaps reworded. For example, could Melchizedek have stopped the mouths of lions or quenched the violence of fire without a personal relationship with God? And what does it have to do, if anything, with authority as he had not yet been ordained to the priesthood?

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

“If a man gets a fullness of the priesthood of God, he has to get it in the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord. …
“All men who become heirs of God and joint-heirs with Jesus Christ will have to receive the fulness of the ordinances of his kingdom; and those who will not receive all the ordinances will come short of the fulness of that glory.”
(History of the Church, 5:424; spelling modernized; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on June 11, 1843, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Wilford Woodruff and Willard Richards.)
Jesus the Christ received His "more sure word of prophecy" at His baptism when Father's voice declared that He was His Son. He would, thereafter, go into the wilderness to be tempted and prove Himself. On the Mount of Transfiguration, He would receive the "fullness of the Priesthood," as witnessed by the Presidency of the Early Church - Peter, James and John, who at that time received their "more sure word of prophecy."

In like manner, Joseph Smith received a "fullness of the Priesthood" when he received the Savior and like visitors in the Kirkland Temple.

The Fullness of the Priesthood involves receiving the Patriarchal Priesthood, as the hearts of the children are turned to the Fathers and the hearts of the Fathers are turned to their children.
The Three Orders of the Priesthood
President Joseph Smith
President of the Church
(The Words of Joseph Smith, p.243-248; Given 27 August 1843, Sunday Morning in the Temple Grove 1)

Joseph Smith Diary By Willard Richards

10 A M. President Marks 2 prayed.-

Joseph said 2 weeks to day something said about Elder Rigdon-vote taken to take away his license. on account of a report brought by Elder Hyde 3 from Quincy.-

The letter is one of the most evasive things.-and carries with it a design to hide the truth….

In answer to S. Rigdon of the 15. inst Thom Carlin.-Has any man been concerned in a conspiracy to deliver Joseph Smith to Mo? if so who?

Read 7th Hebrews. Salem is designed for a hebrew term. it should be Shiloam-which signifies Righteousness & peace. 4 as it is, it is nothing, neither Hebrew, Greek, Latin french or any other To all those who are disposed to say to set up stakes for the almighty-will come short of the glory of god. To become a joint heir of the heirship of the son he must put away all his traditions. 5

I bear record this morning that all the combined powers of earth & hell shall not over come this boy.-

If I have sinned I have sinned outwardly-but secretly I have contemplated the things of God.

Told an anecdote of the Episcopalian priest-who said he had the priesthood of Aron-but not of Melichisedek-and bore this testimony that I never have found the man who claimed the priesthood of Melchisidek.

The law was given under Aaron for the purpose of pouring out Judments and destructions.

The sectarian world are going to hell-by 100s 1000s 1000 000!

3 grand orders of priesthood referred to here. 6

1st. King of Shiloam-power & authority over that of Abraham holding the key & the power of endless life.-angels desire to look into it, but they have set up to many stakes. god cursed the children of Israel because they would not receive the last law from Moses. 7-

By the offering of Isaac. 8-if a man would attain-he must sacrifice all to attain to the keys of the kingdom of an endless life

What was the power of Melchisedick twas not P. of Aaron &c. a king & a priest to the most high God. a perfect law of Theocracy holding keys of power & blessings. stood as God to give laws to the people. administering endless lives to the sons and daughters of Adam 9 kingly powers. of anointing. 10-Abram says Melchisedek.-away I have a priesthood.-

Salvation could not come to the world without the mediation of Jesus Christ.

How shall god come to the rescue of this generation. he shall send Elijah law revealed to Moses in Horeb-never was revealed to the C. of Israel and he shall reveal the covenants to seal the hearts of the fathers to the children and the children to the fathers. 11-anointing & sealing-called elected and made sure 12 without father &c. 13 a priesthood which holds the priesthood by right from the Eternal Gods.-and not by descent from father and mother 14

2d Priesthood, patriarchal authority finish that temple and god will fill it with power. 15

3d Priesthood. Levitical 16

Priests made without an oath but the Priesthood of Melchisedek is by oath and covenant. 17 Holy Ghost. 18

Jesus Christ-men have to suffer that they might come up on Mt. Zion. exalted above the heavens 19-I know a man that has been caught up to the 3d heaven 20-& saw.
Franklin D. Richards "Scriptural Items"

A sermon of Josephs Heb 7 chap Salem is Shiloam

Those who limit the designs of God as concerted by the grand council of H cannot obtain the Knowledge of God & I do not know but I may say they will drink in the Damnation of their souls-

I Prophecy that all the powers of Earth & Hell shall never be able to overthrow this Boy for I have obtained it by promise-

There are 3 grand principles or orders of Priesthood portrayed in this chapter

1st Levitical which was never able to administer a Blessing but only to bind heavy burdens which neither they nor their father able to bear

2 Abrahams Patriarchal power which is the greatest yet experienced in this church 21

3d That of Melchisedec who had still greater power even power of an endless life of which was our Lord Jesus Christ which also Abraham obtained by the offering of his son Isaac which was not the power of a Prophet nor apostle nor Patriarch only but of King & Priest 22 to God to open the windows of Heaven and pour out the peace & Law of endless Life to man 23 & No man can attain to the Joint heirship 24 with Jesus Christ with out being administered to by one having the same power & Authority of Melchisedec 25 Joseph also said that the Holy Ghost 26 is now in a state of Probation which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has.
James Burgess Notebook

Hebrewes 7 chap. Paul is here treating of three different preisthoods, namely the preisthood of Aron, Abraham, and Melchizedeck, Abraham's preisthood was of greater power than Levi's and Melchizedeck's was of greater power than that of Abraham. The preisthood of Levi consisted of cursings and blessings carnal commandments and not of blessings and if the preisthood of this generation has no more power than that of Levi or Aron or of a bishhoprick it administers no blessings but cursings for it was an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. 27 I ask was there any sealing power attending this preisthood. Oh no that would admit a man into the presence of God. 28 Oh no, but Abraham's was a more exalted power or preisthood he could talk and walk with God and yet consider how great this man was when even this patriarch Abraham gave a tenth part of all his spoils and then received a blessing under the hands of Melchesideck 29 even the last law or a fulness of the law or preisthood 30 which constituted him a king and preist after the order of Melchesideck or an endless life Now if Abraham had been like the sectarian world and would not have received any more revelation, what would have been the consequence it would have damned him. Book of Covenants. 31 The levitical preisthood was an appendage to the Melchesideck preisthood or the whole law of God when in full face or power in all its parts and bearings on the earth. 32 It is understood by many by reading this chapter that Melchesedeck was king of some country or nation on the earth, but it was not so, In the original it reads king of Shaloam which signifies king of peace or righteousness and not of any country or nation. 33

Malachi says that the sons of Levi shall in the last days offer an offering in rightousness. 34

Men will set up stakes and say thus far will we go and no farther, did Abraham when called upon to offer his son, 35 did the Saviour, 36 no, view him fulfiling all rightousness again on the banks of jordon, 37 also on the Mount transfigured before Peter and John there receiving the fulness of preisthood or the law of God, 38 setting up no stake but coming right up to the mark in all things here him after he returned from the Mount, did ever language of such magnitude fall from the lips of any man, hearken him. All power is given is given unto me both in heaven and the earth. 39 Offering's sacrifice's and carnal commandments, was added in consequence of transgression and they that did them should live by them. 40 View him the Son of God at saying it behoveth me to fulfil all rightousness 41 also in a garden saying if it be possible let this cup pass from me nevertheless thy will be done. 42 What was the design of the Almighty in making man, it was to exalt him to be as God, 43 the scripture says yet are Gods and it cannot be broken, 44 heirs of God and joint heirs I with Jesus Christ equal with him possesing all power &c. 45 The mystery power and glory of the preisthood is so great and glorious that the angels desired to understand it and cannot: why, because of the tradition of them and their fathers in setting up stakes and not coming up to the mark in their probationary state. 46
William Clayton Diary

A.M. at the Grove. Prest. J. preached on Hebrews c 7. After reading a letter from Thos. Carlin to S. Rigdon and making some remarks about it. 47 He shewed that the word "Salem" is a wrong translation it should be "Shalome" signifying peace. 48 He prophecied that "not all the powers of hell or earth combined can ever overthrow this boy" for he had a promise from the eternal God. He spoke concerning the priesthood of Melchisedek shewing that the sectarians never propossed to have it consequently never could save any one and would all be damned together. He showed that the power of the Melchisek P'd was to have the power of an "endless lives." 49 he showed that the everlasting covenants could not be broken, and by the sacrifice required of Abraham the fact that when God offers a blessing or knowledge to a man and he refuses to receive it he will be damned. 50-mentioning the case of the Israelites praying that God would speak to Moses & not to Them-in consequense of which he cursed them with a carnal law. 51
Levi Richards Diary

27 Aug attended meeting at Temple Grove-Letter from Governor Ca[r]lin to Sidney Rigdon read by Joseph Smith attended with remarks on it by J. Smith who afterwards preached from Hebrews 7 upon the priesthood Aaronic, Patriarchal, & Melchisedec.
Willard Richards Diary

Joseph preached.
Notes
The following annotations for this sermon were written by Andrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook, compilers and editors of The Words of Joseph Smith.

1. See History of the Church, 5:553-56, and Teachings, pp. 321-23. The original source for the reports of this discourse in History of the Church and Teachings is the Joseph Smith Diary, by Willard Richards and the William Clayton Diary. The accounts of Franklin D. Richards, James Burgess, Levi Richards, and Willard Richards (personal diary) are here published for the first time.

2. William Marks, president of the Nauvoo Stake.

3. Orson Hyde. See 13 August 1843 (2), note 10.

4. Since the King James Version of the New Testament comes from Greek manuscripts, the transliteration of [Greek word] (given as Salem) in Hebrews 7:1-2 is correct. However, Greek does not have a sh equivalent, thus when Sh-lm (pronounced shaw-lame') was transliterated from the Hebrew manuscript to the Greek manuscripts of the New Testament, the h was lost. Nevertheless, while authorities say Sh-lm means peaceful, they also say that it may stand for "an early name for Jerusalem." It is this latter point which Joseph Smith disputed.

5. See 5 October 1840, note 24.

6. That is, in Hebrews 7:1-12.

7. See D&C 84:19-25 and JST Exodus 34:1-2. See also 5 October 1840, note 24.

8. That is, when Abraham offered up Isaac (Genesis 22), as repulsive a request as this was, Abraham went ahead and proved his integrity and faith. Consequently God bestowed upon him the highest blessing available to man, the fulness of the priesthood. See D&C 132:36 and note 21, this discourse.

9. At no time before in the history of the Church had the Prophet talked so freely in public of ordinances whereby men were ordained kings and priests. These ordinances were not introduced in Kirtland because Elijah had not come to confer the fulness of the priesthood upon the Prophet before he administered the Kirtland Temple ordinances. Obviously the Prophet could only administer temple ordinances as he then understood them. See 13 August 1843 (1), note 8, 21 and 22, this discourse.

10. The "kingly powers" of the fulness of the priesthood would be conferred by an "anointing." See notes 21, 22, this discourse, and 13 August 1843 (1), note 8.

11. Malachi 4:5-6*.

12. "Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts" (2 Corinthians 1:21-22). See 27 June 1839, note 11. Apparently it is one thing to receive the anointing and sealing blessings of the priesthood and another thing for them to be called, elected, and made sure.

13. Hebrews 7:3.

14. That is, the fulness of the Priesthood comes "not by man, nor the will of man; neither by father nor mother; neither by beginning of days nor end of years; but of God" (JST Genesis 14:28). See also JST Hebrews 7:3.

15. See note 21, this discourse.

16. See note 22, this discourse.

17. Hebrews 7:20-22, 28 (19-28); D&C 84:40 (33-41).

18. See text of this discourse at note 26 & for Joseph Smith's comments on the Holy Ghost.

19. Obadiah 21; Revelation 14:1; D&C 76:66.

20. 2 Corinthians 12:1-4.

21. The Prophet here teaches that though Abraham had not yet received the fulness of the priesthood, he had received from the Lord the promise of an innumerable posterity both for this world and in the world to come (D&C 132:28-31). Joseph Smith, however, clarifies that Abraham's endowment (Abraham facsimile Number 2, figures 3 and 7) was greater than that which his descendants Aaron and Levi would be allowed; and thus "Abraham's" Patriarchal Priesthood (the ordinances of the endowment and patriarchal marriage for time and eternity) comprehended the Aaronic portion of the endowment. Additionally, the Prophet here clarifies that the Patriarchal Priesthood was not the same as the crowning ordinances of the fulness of the Melchizedek Priesthood. Elias returned the authority of promising innumerable posterity, but Elijah restored the authority of the fulness of the priesthood (D&C 110:12-16).

Aside from this theological commentary, it is important to point out that the Prophet's teachings fit perfectly within a historical context. Joseph Smith administered the first ordinances of the Patriarchal Priesthood on 4 May 1842 when he gave both the Aaronic and Melchizedek portions of the endowment to nine men in his store in Nauvoo (see History of the Church, 5:1-2, or Teachings, p. 137; and H. W. Mills, "De Tal Palo Tal Astilla," Annual Publications-Historical Society of Southern California 10 [Los Angeles: McBride Printing Company, 1917]: 120-21). By a year later, most of the nine received the ordinances of marriage for time and eternity. In particular, the Prophet and his wife, Emma, and James and Harriet Adams were sealed on 28 May 1843 (Joseph Smith Diary, Church Archives). Similarly, Hyrum Smith and his wife, Mary Fielding, Brigham Young and his wife, Mary Ann, and Willard Richards and his wife, Jennetta, were all sealed the next day. But the higher ordinances that confer the fulness of the priesthood had not as yet been administered. However one month and a day after this 27 August 1843 discourse, Joseph and Emma received the anointing and ordination "of the highest and holiest order of the priesthood" (Joseph Smith Diary, 28 September 1843, Church Archives). Hence by 27 August 1843, "Abrahams patriarchal power [was] the greatest yet experienced in [the] church." As abstract as this may seem, the Prophet was not the only one who understood the relationship between these three orders of priesthood blessings that he said were illustrated in Hebrews 7; they who received these ordinances also understood these relationships. For example, Brigham Young later discussed in public discourse the relationship between the Aaronic and Patriarchal orders of the endowment as follows:

When we give the brethren their endowments, we confer upon them the Melchizedek Priesthood; but I expect to see the day, when we shall say to a company of brethren, you can go and receive the [endowment] ordinances pertaining to the Aaronic order of Priesthood, and then you can go into the world and preach the Gospel, or do something that will prove whether you will honor that Priesthood before you receive more. Now we pass them through the [temple] ordinances of both Priesthoods in one day. (Journal of Discourses, 10:309, quoted in John A. Widstoe, Discourses of Brigham Young [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1973], p. 396).

Perhaps more important than his later understanding of the relationship between the Aaronic and Melchizedek portions of the endowment is the fact that three weeks before this 27 August 1843 discourse, Brigham Young demonstrated that the Prophet made clear to those who had received the endowment and patriarchal marriage ordinances, that they had not as yet received the fulness of the priesthood. On 6 August 1843, Brigham Young said, "If any in the church [have] the fullness of the Melchizedek Priesthood not know it. For any person to have the fullness of that priesthood, he must be a king and priest." Since he had received, with eight others, an anointing in 1842 promising him he would, if faithful, eventually receive another anointing actually ordaining him a king and a priest, Brigham Young therefore added, "A person may be anointed king and priest long before he receives his kingdom" (History of the Church, 5:527, which is quoted verbatim from the contemporary account kept by Wilford Woodruff). Based on his understanding from Joseph the Prophet, Brigham Young said of this third order of priesthood blessings, "Those who come in here [the Nauvoo Temple] and have received their washing & anointing will [later, if faithful], be ordained Kings & Priests, and will then have received the fullness of the Priesthood, all that can be given on earth. For Brother Joseph said he had given us all that could be given to man on the earth" (Heber C. Kimball Journal, kept by William Clayton, 26 December 1845, Church Archives, italics added). This is the theological and historical context for the Prophet's comments on the three orders of temple blessings outlined in this extremely important discourse.

22. As high and important to the Church as the offices of prophet, apostle and patriarch are, nevertheless, these highest ecclesiastical ordinations do not confer the authority of Elijah, the sealing power of the priesthood, or the power of a king and priest. As President Joseph Fielding Smith expressed it best in our own century,

I do not care what office you hold in the Church-you may be an apostle, you may be a patriarch, a high priest, or anything else-but you cannot receive the fullness of the priesthood and the fullness of eternal reward unless you receive the ordinances of the house of the Lord. Then [the door is] open so you can obtain all the blessings which any man can gain. You can have ["the fullness of the Lord's blessings"] sealed upon you as an elder, if you are faithful; and when you receive them, and live faithfully and keep these covenants, you then have all that any man can get. There is no exaltation in the kingdom of God without the fullness of the priesthood" (Joseph Fielding Smith, first address to the Priesthood as President of the Church, 4 April 1970, The Improvement Era 73 [June 1970]: 65-66).

Regarding Abraham's receiving the "power of an endless life" after he offered his son Isaac, see note 29, this discourse.

23. Regarding the power "to open the windows of Heaven" (Malachi 3:10), see 5 October 1840, note 19, 32.

24. Romans 8:17 (14-17).

25. See note 38, this discourse.

26. George Laub's report of the 16 June 1844 discourse includes the following similar statement: "But the Holy Ghost is yet a Spiritual body and waiting to take to himself a body, as the Savior did or as God did, or the gods before them took bodies." Franklin D. Richards's account is less vague and represents the clearest statement on the personal identity of the Holy Ghost.

27. Matthew 5:38.

28. While the Levitical order of the endowment would admit only one man, the high priest, within the veil, through the Melchizedek order, all men who prove worthy may be admitted into the presence of the Lord (D&C 107:18-19; see 23 July 1843, note 21).

29. The apparent discrepancy between the Franklin D. Richards and Martha Coray reports on this point may be reconciled in light of the Prophet's distinction between a man's ordination to the priesthood and his possessing power in the priesthood. Priesthood ordination does not, by itself, assure a man that God will ratify all his acts as a priesthood bearer. Perhaps Abraham received the "anointing and sealing" (the priesthood ordination of king and priest) under the hands of Melchizedek (Genesis 14:17-24 and JST Genesis 14:25-40), but the "election sure"-the absolute assurance of power in the priesthood-came directly from God only after Abraham indicated his willingness to sacrifice Isaac (Genesis 22:1-14).

30. One of the major milestones, if not the major milestone, of the Latter-day work was to be the restoration of the fulness of the priesthood (D&C 124:28). The Prophet's "mission [was to] firmly [establish] the dispensation of the fullness of the priesthood in the last days, that all the powers of earth and hell [could] never prevail against it" (History of the Church, 5:140, or Teachings, p. 258). What was this fulness of the priesthood? The most concise but inclusive definition of the authority of the fulness of the priesthood was given by Joseph Smith in his 10 March 1844 discourse when he said, "Now for Elijah; the spirit, power and calling of Elijah is that ye have power to hold the keys of the revelations, ordinances, oracles, powers and endowments of the fulness of the Melchizedek Priesthood and of the Kingdom of God on the Earth and to receive, obtain and perform all the ordinances belonging to the kingdom of God [to] have power to seal on earth and in heaven." However, the Prophet had not as yet administered the ordinances that made men kings and priests. Brigham Young said three weeks before this discourse that no one yet in the Church had the fulness of the Melchizedek Priesthood, "For any person to have the fullness of that priesthood, he must be a king and priest" (History of the Church, 5:527, which is quoted verbatim from the original source kept by Wilford Woodruff, Church Archives). These ordinances were instituted on 28 September 1843 and in the next five months were conferred on twenty men (and their wives, except for those whose names are asterisked): Hyrum Smith, Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Willard Richards, Newel K. Whitney, William Marks, John Taylor, John Smith, Reynolds Cahoon, Alpheus Cutler, Orson Spencer, Orson Hyde*, Parley P. Pratt*, Wilford Woodruff, George A. Smith, Levi Richards*, Cornelius P. Lott, William W. Phelps Isaac Morley, and Orson Pratt.* As George Q. Cannon later said,

Previous to his death. the Prophet Joseph manifested great anxiety to see the temple completed, as most of you who were with the Church during his day, well know. "Hurry up the work, brethren," he used to say, "let us finish the temple; the Lord has a great endowment in store for you, and I am anxious that the brethren should have their endowments and receive the fullness of the Priesthood. Then," said he, "the Kingdom will be established, and I do not care what shall become of me."

Prior to the completion of the Temple, [Joseph Smith] took the Twelve and certain other men, who were chosen, and bestowed upon them a holy anointing, similar to that which was received on the day of Pentecost by the Twelve, who had been told to tarry at Jerusalem. This endowment was bestowed upon the chosen few whom Joseph anointed and ordained, giving unto them the keys of the holy Priesthood, the power and authority which he himself held, to build up the Kingdom of God in all the earth and accomplish the great purposes of our Heavenly Father.

Knowing that Sidney Rigdon was the only member of the First Presidency to survive the martyrdom but knowing too that he had not received the ordinances of the fulness of the priesthood, George Q. Cannon added this significant comment: "It was by virtue of this authority, on the death of Joseph, that President Young, as President of the quorum of the Twelve, presided over the Church" (Journal of Discourses, 13:49). Joseph Smith's followers did believe he "firmly established the dispensation of the fullness of the priesthood that all earth and hell [could] never prevail against it." See notes 21, 22, 29, 38, this discourse.

31. D&C 107:5, 14.

32. D&C 107:13-14.

33. See note 4, this discourse.

34. Malachi 3:1-3.

35. Genesis 22:1-14.

36. For example, Matthew 26:36-46.

37. Matthew 3:15 (13-17).

38. This is the only known record of when, according to Joseph Smith, the Savior received the fulness of the priesthood. Wilford Woodruff's report of the Prophet's 11 June 1843 discourse recorded a significant comment by Joseph Smith regarding this subject: "If a man gets the fulness of God ["priesthood" as in the published version], he has to get [it] in the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, by keeping all the ordinances of the house of the Lord" (see 11 June 1843, note 9). To Joseph Smith, however, it was not the Lord's will that all have Elijah confer upon them the sealing power of the fulness of the priesthood, for as Franklin D. Richards expressed it, we receive the fulness by "being administered to by one having the same power and Authority of Melchizedek" (D&C 132:7).

Joseph Smith distinguished between the ordination of the twelve disciples as apostles (in Matthew 10) and the bestowal of the sealing power of Elijah upon three of the twelve (in Matthew 17), for he himself received the authority of the apostleship in 1829 (Joseph Smith-History, 1:72; D&C 27:12), but did not receive the sealing power of the fulness of the priesthood until 3 April 1836 (D&C 110:13-16; also text at notes 13-20 & of the 10 March 1844 discourse).

39. Matthew 28:18.

40. Galatians 3:12, 19.

41. Matthew 3:15 (13-17).

42. Matthew 26:39 (36-46).

43. In his 21 May 1843 discourse (at note 12 &), the Prophet, without elaborating on his statement, said he would "keep in [his] own bosom the design of the great God in sending us into this world and organizing us to prepare us for the Eternal world." Joseph Smith did hint though that the doctrine of eternal marriage was related to the implicit question. Here in the James Burgess account of the 27 August 1843 discourse (three months later), the Prophet finally answers his own question: "What was the design of the Almighty in making man? It was to exalt him to be as God." Given that the Prophet would have answered the question similarly in May, this is remarkable confirmation of the then unwritten revelation on eternal marriage. When it was written seven and a half weeks later (12 July 1843), this revelation asserted that if couples were sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise through the authority of the sealing power of the priesthood and were also given the promise that they would come forth in the first resurrection, and if they should continue without committing the unpardonable sin, "Then shall they be gods because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them" (D&C 132:19-20).

44. John 10:34-35 (32-39).

45. Romans 8:17 and Matthew 28:18.

46. That is Joseph Smith taught that when people deny some commands of God because of their pre-conceived notions and traditions, they actually close the door to their own salvation and exaltation. Given the perplexity he had in teaching certain doctrines at this time of his ministry, it is not hard to understand why he often referred to this characteristic of men and women. Even those within the church had difficulties accepting some of his teachings. See 5 October 1840, note 24, 19 and note 5, this discourse.

47. See 13 August 1843 (2), note 10.

48. See note 4, this discourse.

49. D&C 132:19-24. To have the power of "endless lives" is to have secured before the time of resurrection the promise of exaltation in eternity with the accompanying promise of a continuation of the lives or seed-that is to have the power to have children after the resurrection (see History of the Church, 5:391-92).

50. Genesis 22:1-19.

51. Exodus 19, 20:18-21; D&C 84:19-27.

Elias, Elijah, Messiah
President Joseph Smith
President of the Church
(The Words of Joseph Smith, p.327-336, 389-392; see also Messages of the First Presidency, 1:203-209)
10 March 1844. This discourse was another of the Sunday discourses of Joseph Smith during the final few months of his life. He seemed during this last period before his death to be treating the more difficult and advanced doctrinal themes of "Mormonism." Here he draws the distinction between the spirit and office of Elias and that of Elijah. The Prophets Elijah and Elias had appeared as two separate persons to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery in the Kirtland Temple in 1836 (D&C 110:12-13). Here Joseph Smith does not deal with the persons but rather with the spirit and office of Elias and Elijah. For additional background see: LCC pp. 600-606; CHMR 1:301; also Hyrum M. Smith, Doctrine and Covenants Commentary, 1927 ed. pp. 34-39, 589, 591-592. Paragraphing altered from original diaries.
Wilford Woodruff Diary

A large assembly of the Saints met at the temple & was addressed by President Joseph Smith upon one of the most important & interesting subjects ever presented to the saints & the principles presented were of the greatest importance to be understood it was as follows the work & calling & spirit of Elias, Elijah, & Mesiah The following is a synopsis of the discourse.

Their is a differance between the spirit & office of Elias & Elijah it is the spirit of Elias 2 I wish first to speak of. And in order to come at the subject I will bring some of the testimony from the scripture & give my own.

In the first place suffice it to say I went into the woods to inquire of the Lord by prayer his will concerning me-& I saw an angel & he laid his hands upon my head & ordained me to be a priest after the order of Aaron 3 & to hold the keys of this priesthood which office was to preach repentance & Baptism for the remission of sins & also to baptise but was informed that this office did not extend to the laying on of hands for the giving of the Holy Ghost that that office was a greater work 4 & was to be given after wards but that my ordination was a preparetory work or a going before which was the spirit of Elias for the spirit of Elias was a going before to prepare the way for the greater, which was the Case with John the Baptist he Came balling through the wilderness prepare ye the the way of the Lord & make his paths strait 5 & they were informed if they Could receive it it was the spirit of Elias 6 & John was vary particular to tell the people He was not that light but was sent to bear witness of that light.

He told the people that his mission was to preach repentance & baptize with water, 7 but it was he that should Come after him that should baptise with fire & the Holy Ghost. 8

If he had been an imposture he might have gone to work beyound, his bounds & undertook to have performed ordinances that did not belong to that office & calling under the spirit of Elias.

The spirit of Elias is to prepare the way for a greater revelation of God which is the priesthood of Elias or the Priesthood that Aaron was ordained unto. And when God sends a man into the world to prepare for a greater work holds the keys of the power of Elias it was called the doctrin of Elias even from the early ages of the world. 9

John's mission was limited to preaching & Baptizing but what he done was legal & when Jesus Christ Came to any of John,s deciples He baptized them with fire & the Holy Ghost.

We find the Apostles endowed with greater power than John their office was more under the spirit & power of Elijah than Elias.

In the Case of Philip when he went down to Samaria was under the spirit of Elias he baptised both men & women, when Peter & John herd of it they went down & lade hands on them & they received the Holy Ghost this shows the distinction between the two powers. 10

When paul came to Certain Deciples He asked if they had received the Holy Ghost they said no, who baptized you then we were Baptizd unto Johns Baptism No John did not baptized you for he did his work right, & so Paul went & baptized them for He knew what the true doctrin was & he knew that John Had not Baptised them, 11 & these principles and [it] is strange to me that men who have red the scriptures of the New Testament are so far from it.

What I want to impress upon your minds is, the difference of power in the different parts of the Priesthood, so that when any man comes among you saying I have the spirit of Elias you can know whether he be true or fals, for any man that comes having the spirit & power of Elias he will not transend his bounds.

John did not transend his bound but faithfully performed that part belonging to his office, and evry portion of the great building should be prepared right & assigned to its proper place, 12 & it is necessary to know who holds the keys of power & who dont, or we may be likely to be decieved.

That person who holds the keys of Elias hath a preparitory work, But if I spend much more time in conversing about the spirit of Elias I shall not have time to do justice to the spirit & power of Elijah.

This is the Elias spoken of in the last days & here is the rock upon which many split, thinking the time was past in the days of John & Christ & no more to be, but the spirit of Elias was revealed to me & I know it is true; therefore I speak with boldness for I know varily my doctrine is true.

Now for Elijah, the spirit power & calling of Elijah is that ye have power to hold the keys of the revelations ordinances, oricles powers & endowments of the fulness of the Melchezedek Priesthood 13 & of the Kingdom of God on the Earth & to receive, obtain & perform all the ordinances belonging to the Kingdom of God even unto the sealing of the hearts of the hearts fathers unto the children & the hearts of the children unto the fathers even those who are in heaven. 14

Malachi says I will send Elijah before the great and dreadful day of the Lord come & He shall turn the hearts of the Fathers to the Children and the hearts of the Children to the Fathers lest I come & smite the earth with a Curse.

Now what I am after is the knowledge of God & I take my own Course to obtain it, what are we to understand by this in the last days, in the days of Noah God destroyed the world by a flood & has promised to destroy it by fire in the last days 15 but before it took place Elijah should first come & turn the hearts of the Fathers to the Children &c.

Now comes the point what is this office & work of Elijah, it is one of the greatest & most important subjects that God has revealed, He should send Elijah to seal the children to the fathers & fathers to the Children.

Now was this merely confined to the living to settle difficulties with families on earth, by no means, it was a far greater work Elijah what would you do if you was here would you confine confine your work to the living alone. No I would confine refer you to the scriptures whare the subject is manifest, i.e, without us they could not be made perfect, nor we without them, 16 the fathers without the children nor the children without the fathers.

I wish you to understand this subject for it is important & if you will receive it this is the spirit of Elijah that we redeam our dead & connect ourselves with our fathers which are in heaven & seal up our dead to come forth in the first resurrection & here we want the power of Elijah to seal those who dwell on earth to those which dwell in heaven this is the power of Elijah & the keys of the Kingdom 17 of Jehovah.

Let us suppose a case; suppose the great God who dwells in heaven should reveal himself to Father Cutler 18 here by the opening heavens and tell him I offer up a decree that whatsoever you seal on earth with your decree I will seal it in heaven, 19 you have power then, can it be taken of[f] No, Then what you seal on earth by the Keys of Elijah is sealed in heaven, & this is the power of Elijah, & this is the difference between the spirit & power of Elias and Elijah, for while the spirit of Elias is a forerunner the power of Elijah is sufficient to make our calling & Election sure,20 & the same doctrin whare we are exhorted to go on unto perfection not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works but of laying on of hands, resurrection of the dead &c. 21

We cannot be perfect without the fathers, &c 22 we must have revelations then & we can see that the doctrin of revelation as far transcends the doctrin of no revelation as knowled[g]e is above ignorance for one truth revealed from heaven is worth all the sectarian notions in exhistance.

This spirit of Elijah was manifest in the days of the Apostles in delivering certain ones to the buffitings of Satan that they may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus, they were sealed by the spirit of Elijah unto the damnaton of Hell untill the day of the Lord or revealtion of Jesus Christ 23

Here is the doctrin of Election that the world have quarreled so much about, but they do not know any thing about it.

The doctrine that the Prysbeterians & Methodist have quarreled so much about once in grace always in grace, or falling away from grace I will say a word about, they are both wrong, truth takes a road between them both. for while the Presbyterian says once in grace you cannot fall the Methodist says you can have grace to day, fall from it to morrow, next day have grace again & so follow it, but the doctrin of the scriptures & the spirit of Elijah would show them both fals & take a road between them both for according to the scriptures if a man has receive the good word of God & tasted of the powers of the world to come if they shall fall away it is impossible to renew them again, seeing they have Crucified the son of God afresh & put him to an open frame shame 24, so their is a possibility of falling away you could not be renewed again, & the power of Elijah Cannot seal against this sin, for this is a reserve made in the seals & power of the priesthood. 25

I will make evry doctrin plain that I present & it shall stand upon a firm bases And I am at the defiance of the world for I will take shelter under the broad sheler cover of the wings of the work in which I am ingaged, it matters not to me if aIl hell boils over I regard it ownly as I would the crackling of thorns under a pot.

A murderer; for instance one that sheds innocent Blood Cannot have forgiveness, David sought repentance at the hand of God Carefully with tears, but he could ownly get it through Hell, he got a promise that his soul should not be left in Hell. 26

Although David was a King he never did obtain the spirit & power of Elijah & the fulness of the Priesthood, 27 & the priesthood that he received 28 & the throne & kingdom of David is to be taken from him & given to another by the name of David in the last days, raised up out of his linage. 29

Peter refered to the same subject on the day of pentecost, 30 but the multitude did not get the endowment that Peter had but several days after the people asked what shall we do, Peter says I would ye had done it ignorantly speaking of crucifying the Lord &c He did not say to them repent & be baptized for the remission of your sins but he said repent therefore & be converted that your sins may be blotted out when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord, Acts iii, 19

This is the case with murderers they could not be baptized for the remission of sins for they had shed innocent Blood.

Again the doctrine or sealing power of Elijah is as follows if you have power to seal on earth & in heaven then we should be Crafty, the first thing you do go & seal on earth your sons & daughters unto yourself, & yourself unto your fathers in eternal glory, & go ahead and not go back, but use a little Craftiness & seal all you can; & when you get to heaven tell your father that what you seal on earth should be sealed in heaven 31 I will walk through the gate of heaven and Claim what I seal & those that follow me & my Council.

The Lord once told me that what I asked for I should have, 32 I have been afraid to aske to ask God to kill my enemies lest some of them should peradventure should repent. I asked a short time, since for the Lord to deliver me out of the hands of the Govornor of Missouri & if it must needs be to accomplish it to take him away, & the next news that Came pouring down from their, was Governor Reynolds had shot himself, 33 and I would now say beware O earth how you fight against the Saints of God & shed innocent Blood, for in the days of Elijah his enemies came upon him & fire was Called down from heaven & destroyed them. 34

The spirit of Elias is first Elijah second, & Masiah last. Elias is a fore runner to prepare the way, & the spirit & power of Elijah is to come after holding the keys of power building the Temple to the Cap stone, placing the seals of the Melchezedeck priesthood 35 up on the house of Israel & making all things ready then Mesiah comes to his Temple which is last of all.

Mesiah is above the spirit & power of Elijah, for he made the world & was that spiritual rock unto Moses in the wilderness. 36 Elijah was to come & prepare the way & build up the kingdom before the coming of the great day of the Lord Although the spirit of Elias might begin it.

I have asked of the Lord concerning his coming & while asking, the Lord gave me a sign & said in the days of Noah I set a bow in the heavens as a sign & token that in any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come, but their should be seed time-harvest during that year, but when ever you see the bow withdraw, it shall be a token that their shall be famin pestilance & great distress among the nations. 37

But I take the responsibility upon myself to prophesy in the name of the Lord, that Christ will not come this year as [William] Miller 38 has prophecyed, for we have seen the bow. And I also Prophecy in the name of the Lord that Christ will not Come in forty years & if God ever spake by my mouth he will not come in that length of time &

Jesus Christ never did reveal to any man the precise time that he would come, 39 go & read the scriptures & you cannot find any thing that specified the exact [time] he would come & all that say so are fals teachers.

Their are some important things concerning the office of the Mesiah in the organization of the worlds which I will speak of hereafter. 40 May God Almighty bless you & pour out his spirit upon you is the prayer of your unworthy servant Amen.
James Burgess Notebook

Showing the difference between the Spirit of Elias, Elijah and the messiah. J Smith P[rophet].

Of the spirit of Elias I must go back to the time at Susquehannah river when I retired in the woods pouring out my soul in prayer to Almighty God. 41 An Angel came down from heaven and laid his hands upon me and ordained me to the power of Elias and that authorised me to babtise with water unto repentance. It is a power or a preparatory work for something greater. you have not power to lay on hands for the gift of the holy ghost but you shall have power given you hereafter, that is the power of the Aronick preisthood. 42 this is the power which John the babtist was clothed with when he came bounding out of the wilderness saying repent ye for the kingdom of heaven is come unto you or is at hand, For there standeth one among you whose shoes latchett I am not worthy to unloose. he has greater power than I have he will babtise you with fire and with the holy ghost. 43 Jesus said of John this is Elias which was for to come if you will receive me otherwise he cannot do the work of an Elias, for Elias is preparatory for something greater to prepare my way before me I have power to restore all things and establish my kingdom amongst you, but if you will not receive me and my doctrine, he is not that Elias which was for to come for he cannot accomplish that for which he was sent, see 1st chap of John 19 to 22 verse for he confessed that he was not Elias why because they would not receive him that was coming after him namely Christ. Philip was clothed with the power of Elias when he went to samaria he could babtise for remission of sins, but could not lay on hands for the gift of the holy ghost, but sent for Peter and John who had the power of Elijah &c 44 Acts 19 chap Paul when he came to Corinth found certain diciples and asked them if they had received the holy ghost since they bleived, and they said we have not so much as heard of the holy ghost and with what surprise says he unto them. unto what were you babtised and they said unto Johns babtism. not so not so my friends if you had you would have heard of the holy ghost but you have been duped by some designing knave who has come in the name of John an imposture. how do you know it Paul why John verilly babtised with water unto repentance, always telling the people that they should beleive on him that should come after him. he would babtise with fire and with the holy ghost. Johns babtism stood good but these had been babtised by some imposture. The spirit of Elijah is to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children and the hearts of the children to the fathers lest I come and smite the earth with a curse 45 the babtism for the dead and the ordinances that is to be administered by us for them for paul says that they without us cannot be made perfect neither can we without them be made perfect. 46 Now we come to talk about election a great deal is said about it. one way or another. The prespetary says once in grace always in grace, the methodist says once in grace can fall from grace and be renewed again. there is some truth in both of these statements Paul says in the 6 chap of hebrews that after arriving at a certain knowledge and then fall away it is impossible to renew them again, well paul the prespratarian says once in grace always in grace I say it is not so the methodist says once in grace can fall from grace and be renewed again I Paul say it is impossible seeing that they crucify to themselves the son of God afresh and put him to an open shame.

Make your calling and election sure go on from grace to grace untill you obtain a promise from God for yourselves that you shall have eternal life. this is eternal life to know God and his son Jesus Christ, it is to be sealed up unto eternal life and obtain a promise for our posterity. 47 Whatever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, this is the power of Elijah to seal or bind or turn the hearts of the fathers to their children sealed against all sin but the sin of sheding innocent blood and the Sin against the holy ghost. David was one of the promised seed yet he was guilty of murder see Acts Chap 2&3 other sins will go to judgement before hand. 48

Joseph Smith prophet.

Revelation given through Joseph Smith in answer to a certain question Son of Man if you live untill you are 85 years of age you shall see the face of the Son of Man and so long as you see the rainbow strethching across the heavens there will be seed time and harvest and the son of Man will not come that year. 49

Joseph Smith was born in the year 1805
Franklin D. Richards "Scriptural Items"

On Sunday March 10 Joseph the Priest 50 delivered the following concernin the Spirits & Powers of Elias Elijah & of Messiah

The power of Elias is not the power of Elijah related the vision of his ordination to the priesthood of Aaron on the Susquehannah river to preach the preparatory gospel. This said the Angel is the Spirit of Elias

The spirit of Elias is to prepare the way for one greater to come

The spirit of Elijah is that degree of power which holds the sealing power of the Kingdom to seal the hearts of the fathers to the children & of the children their fathers not only on earth but in Heaven both the living & the Dead to each other for they (the dead) cannot be made perfect without us Heb 11-40

This power of Elijah is to that of Elias what in the architecture of the Temple of God those who seal or cement the Stone to their places are to those who cut or hew the stones the one preparing the way for the other to accomplish the work By this we are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise ie Elijah

To obtain this sealing is to make our calling and election sure which we ought to give all diligence to accomplish 51

there are two sins agains which this power does not secure or prevail they are "The sin against the Holy Ghost" And "shedding of innocent Blood" which is equivelant to "crucifying the Son of God afresh & putting him to an open shame" 52 Those who do these it is impossible to renew unto repentance for they are delivered to the buffettings of satan untill the day of redemptions 53
illustrated the case of David said he could not obtain celestial glory and the reason why he had any hope or obtained a Promise that of his seed one should be raised up to reign over Israel forever was because that he had not spoken against the spirit & because he had not done this he was renewed unto repentance and obtained promise that God would not leave his soul in Hell 54
Also spake of the rulers of the Jews & Peters preaching I wot (wish) that through ignorance ye did it as did those over whom ye ruled Acts 3-17 Peter did not preach repentance & Baptism but repent & be converted that your sins may be blotted out when the times of redemptions shall come from the presence of God Promised to treat upon the Spirit of Messiah some future time
A Revelation So long as we see the bow in the cloud seed time & harvest shall continue that year when the bow shall cease 55 then shall come famine wars &c after which the sign of the son of man shall be seen in heaven. 56
Joseph Smith Diary By Willard Richards

I attended meeting A M at the Stand by the Temple and preached on the Subject of the Spirit of Elias Elijah. Elias & Mes[si]ah clearly defining the offices of the 3 personages.

The Savior will not come this year. nor 40 yrs to come. The bow has been seen in the cloud & in that year that the bow is seen seed time and harvest will be. but when the bow ceases to be seen look out for a famine. 57
Thomas Bullock Diary

Frost in the night-day most beautiful-went to the temple Joseph & Hyrum spoke. Joseph spoke on the Spirit of Elias the Spirit of Elijah and the Spirit of Messiah the Spirit of Elias is a forerunner same as John the Baptist-the Spirit of Elijah is the sealing power- to seal the hearts of the Fathers to the children-and the children to the Parents 58 as Paul declared that the Saints of the last days could not be perfect without them-neither can they be perfect without us 59-the Spirit of Messiah is all power in Heaven and in Earth 60- Enthroned in the Heavens as King of Kings and Lord of Lords 61-the Rainbow is not to be seen-it is a sign of the commencement of famine & pestilence 62 &c &c and that the coming of the Messiah is not far distant-the Messiah will not come this year-upsets Millerites 63 the Messiah will not come for 40 years and he told the people to write 64 it a very large and attentive congregation-
John Solomon Fullmer Papers 65

Prophesy delivered by President Joseph Smith, March 10th 1844.

While enquiring of the Lord concerning the End of time, it was made known to him by the Holy Spirit, that there should be prosperity, seed time and harvest every year in which the Rainbow was seen, for to that was Noah refered as a surety on this subject,- But in the year when the Bow was not to be seen, would commence desolation, calamity and distress among the Nations, without seed time or harvest, 66-And that the Revelation of the Son of Man from Heaven, would not be in this year, nor the next; 67 and he would say to his Millerite friends, that it would not be in forty years to come. He uttered all this in the name of the Lord, and said we should go home and write it-
J.S.F.
Notes
The following annotations for this sermon were written by Andrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook, compilers and editors of The Words of Joseph Smith.

1. See History of the Church, 6:249-54, and Teachings, pp. 335-41. The original source for the report of this discourse in History of the Church and teachings (with the exception of the introductory statement which is from the Joseph Smith Diary) is the Wilford Woodruff Diary. The accounts by James Burgess, Franklin D. Richards, Thomas Bullock, and John Solomon Fullmer are here published for the first time.

2. Luke 1:17; Matthew 11:12-14. See also JST Matthew 17:10-14.

3. D&C 13.

4. Joseph Smith-History 1:72.

5. Matthew 3:3.

6. See note 2, this discourse.

7. Mark 1:4.

8. Matthew 3:11.

9. See text of "Before 8 August 1839 (1)" after note 12 &. See also D&C 27:6-7; 77:9, 14; 110:12 for occasions when the title "Elias" is applied.

10. Acts 8:5-20.

11. Acts 19:1-6.

12. D&C 124:145.

13. See 27 August 1843, note 30.

14. Malachi 4:5-6.

15. Genesis 9:8-17 (see also JST Genesis 9:21-25); Malachi 4:1-6

16. Hebrews 11:40.

17. See text of this discourse at note 13. & See also 27 August 1843, note 30.

18. Alpheus Cutler. Incidentally, "Father" Cutler had received these blessings (see 27 August 1843, note 30).

19. See 27 August 1843, note 30.

20. 2 Peter 1:10. See 27 June 1839, note 11.

21. Hebrews 6:1-2.

22. Hebrews 11:40.

23. 1 Corinthians 5:1-5; 1 Timothy 1:20. See also D&C 78:12; 104:10 (9-10); 132:26. The expression "buffetings of Satan" is not used in the King James Version of the Bible (see, however, 2 Corinthians 12:7).

24. Hebrews 6:4-6.

25. Confirmation of D&C 132:19, 26-27.

26. Acts 2:25-29, 34.

27. Although David was anointed a king by the Prophet Samuel, it was not, according to this teaching of Joseph Smith, after the order of the fulness of the Melchizedek Priesthood (see 1 Samuel 16:12-13). For this reason, when David ordered the murder of Uriah (2 Samuel 11), he did not commit the unpardonable sin.

28. 2 Samuel 6:12-13, 17-19 does not mention whether David had an attending priest offer the sacrifices in his behalf, which would seem likely because David was not of the lineage of Levi. Nevertheless the Prophet seems clear that David held the priesthood. See also 2 Samuel 24:18-25.

29. Concerning the David of the Last Days to rule in Jerusalem see 2 Samuel 7:8-29 (esp. v. 8-19); Ezekiel 34:23-25; 37:21-28; Zechariah 3; Isaiah 55:3-5; Jeremiah 30:4-9; Psalms 89:1-4; and D&C 113:5-6.

30. Acts 2:29, 34.

31. See 27 August 1843, note 30.

32. In conjunction with making your calling and election sure, the Lord grants this privilege of asking and receiving. See JST Genesis 14:31 (26-32); Isaiah 65:24; John 21:20-23; Helaman 10:5 (4-10); 3 Nephi 28:1, 3, 10 (1-14); D&C 7:1 (1-8), 50:26-29; 76:55, 59 (51-61); 101:27 (cf. 27 June 1839, note 9 49).

33. Thomas Reynolds (1796-1844) was a chief justice of the Supreme Court in Illinois before becoming the sixth governor of Missouri 1840-44. As governor he made several demands on the state of Illinois to extradite the Prophet Joseph Smith. He committed suicide 9 February 1844 in his executive office in Jefferson City, Missouri.

34. 2 Kings 1:10, 12 (5-17).

35. That is, the fulness of the priesthood. See 27 August 1843, note 30.

36. 2 Corinthians 10:4 (1-4).

37. Genesis 9:8-17; JST Genesis 9:21-25.

38. William Miller (1782-1849) was founder of the Millerite movement. See 6 April 1843 (2), note 14.

39. Matthew 24:36; D&C 39:21; 49:7.

40. Only the Thomas Bullock report records the essence of what the Prophet meant in this statement: "The Spirit of Messiah is all power in Heaven and in earth [post-resurrection power of Christ in Matthew 28:18], enthroned in the Heavens as King of Kings and Lord of Lords [Revelation 17:14; 19:16 (11-16)]."

41. No other account speaks so vividly of his intensity on this occasion-"I retired in the woods pouring out my soul in pray[e]r to Almighty God." (see D&C 13 and Joseph Smith-History 1:68.)

42. Joseph Smith-History 1:72.

43. Luke 3:16.

44. Acts 8:5-20.

45. Malachi 4:5-6.

46. Hebrews 11:40.

47. John 17:3. See text of the 13 August 1843 discourse, at note 19. &

48. 2 Samuel 11.

49. This and the Franklin D. Richards' account are the most complete versions of this revelation from contemporary records.

50. See 16 July 1843 (2) discourse, note 15.

51. Cf. 27 June 1839, text at notes 6-12 . Regarding the Prophet's equating the sealing by the "Holy Spirit of Promise" to making your calling and election sure, see note 7 of discourse dated "Before 8 August 1839 (3)."

52. Hebrews 6:4-6.

53. See note 23, this discourse.

54. Acts 2:25-29, 34.

55. See text at note 49, this discourse.

56. Matthew 24:30.

57. See text at note 49, this discourse.

58. Malachi 4:5-6.

59. Hebrews 11:40.

60. Matthew 28:18. Thomas Bullock is the only recorder of this discourse who identifies some aspect of the Prophet's understanding of the "spirit of Messiah." See next scripture referenced in note 61, this discourse.

61. Revelation 17:14; 19:16 (11-16). See also Deuteronomy 10:17.

62. See text at note 49, this discourse.

63. See 6 April 1843 (2), note 14.

64. Of the six contemporary accounts of this discourse, four of the reporters recorded this prophecy.

65. The John Solomon Fullmer papers are located in the Church Archives.

66. See text at note 49, this discourse.

67. See 6 April 1843 (2), note 14.