EXCEEDINGLY MANY PROPHETS

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

EXCEEDINGLY MANY PROPHETS

Post by SJR3t2 »

Enos 1:22 And there were EXCEEDINGLY MANY PROPHETS among us. And the people were a stiffnecked people, hard to understand.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Re: EXCEEDINGLY MANY PROPHETS

Post by Durzan »

That is an interesting verse you posted... But what is the reason for posting this scripture? can we not be plain with each other in regards to our purposes and in our understanding?

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

I think it's interesting that this was before Alma established the church. Before a church is established, I'm under the impression that priesthood is more tribal in nature (which I think is the case for everything previous of Alma's church). However, in 3rd Nephi 6, it talks of many "prophets" in this sense:
20 And there began to be men inspired from heaven and sent forth, standing among the people in all the land, preaching and testifying boldly of the sins and iniquities of the people, and testifying unto them concerning the redemption which the Lord would make for his people, or in other words, the resurrection of Christ; and they did testify boldly of his death and sufferings.
There's no doubt the keys remain with the Church and the Fifteen. And these men in 3rd Nephi must have been of the church (D&C 43:15). And they never did condemn the leadership of the church as Abinidi did in a tribal priesthood setting. That is never allowed under Church protocol. They only testified against the sins of the people, like Samuel the Lamanite.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Jonesy1982 wrote: June 11th, 2017, 3:58 pm I think it's interesting that this was before Alma established the church. Before a church is established, I'm under the impression that priesthood is more tribal in nature (which I think is the case for everything previous of Alma's church). However, in 3rd Nephi 6, it talks of many "prophets" in this sense:
20 And there began to be men inspired from heaven and sent forth, standing among the people in all the land, preaching and testifying boldly of the sins and iniquities of the people, and testifying unto them concerning the redemption which the Lord would make for his people, or in other words, the resurrection of Christ; and they did testify boldly of his death and sufferings.
There's no doubt the keys remain with the Church and the Fifteen. And these men in 3rd Nephi must have been of the church (D&C 43:15). And they never did condemn the leadership of the church as Abinidi did in a tribal priesthood setting. That is never allowed under Church protocol. They only testified against the sins of the people, like Samuel the Lamanite.
Was there a church organized in Jerusalem when Lehi became a prophet? The keys of administering the priesthood belong with the First Presidency and the Twelve, and they are the only ones with the authority to reveal new doctrine to the entire world. But that doesn't mean that the rest of us are not permitted to prophesy warnings if called to do so. Remember that Nephi was the leader of an organized church when Samuel was called as a prophet and revealed a timeline for the Savior's birth.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

brianj wrote: June 12th, 2017, 8:13 pm
Jonesy1982 wrote: June 11th, 2017, 3:58 pm I think it's interesting that this was before Alma established the church. Before a church is established, I'm under the impression that priesthood is more tribal in nature (which I think is the case for everything previous of Alma's church). However, in 3rd Nephi 6, it talks of many "prophets" in this sense:
Was there a church organized in Jerusalem when Lehi became a prophet? The keys of administering the priesthood belong with the First Presidency and the Twelve, and they are the only ones with the authority to reveal new doctrine to the entire world. But that doesn't mean that the rest of us are not permitted to prophesy warnings if called to do so. Remember that Nephi was the leader of an organized church when Samuel was called as a prophet and revealed a timeline for the Savior's birth.
I believe there were a group or congregation of organized believers in tribal form. So, no. I don't believe there were any churches of Christ previous to Alma's.

The rest of what you're saying I agree with and was actually trying to get precisely that point across. Hope I didn't say anything to relay otherwise.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Jonesy1982 wrote: June 12th, 2017, 8:58 pm
I believe there were a group or congregation of organized believers in tribal form. So, no. I don't believe there were any churches of Christ previous to Alma's.

The rest of what you're saying I agree with and was actually trying to get precisely that point across. Hope I didn't say anything to relay otherwise.
Acts 11: 27

27 ¶ And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.

28 And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Cæsar.

After the church was already established, "prophets" not among the 12 came and prophesied about tragedies to come in a city that they don't even live in. It happened in the New Testament in the biblical world, wouldn't be surprising for the same to happen elsewhere in the world around the same time.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Stahura wrote: June 13th, 2017, 10:20 am

28 And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Cæsar.

After the church was already established, "prophets" not among the 12 came and prophesied about tragedies to come in a city that they don't even live in. It happened in the New Testament in the biblical world, wouldn't be surprising for the same to happen elsewhere in the world around the same time.
Yes, I believe there are prophets among us in the church as in days of old. I would even say there may be inspired men among us not of the church. However, there is no such thing as a prophet outside of the church that can condemn or speak against the Lord's church or its appointed leaders.

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

I refound the verse for a friend, and wanted to share here.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

The "exceedingly many prophets" didn't last. By the time of Abinadom there were none:
Omni 1:11 I know of no revelation save that which has been written, neither prophecy; wherefore, that which is sufficient is written.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Stahura wrote: June 13th, 2017, 10:20 am

Hey Stahura, hope you stick around! :ymhug:

-Finrock

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

lemuel wrote: June 15th, 2017, 2:28 pm The "exceedingly many prophets" didn't last. By the time of Abinadom there were none:
Omni 1:11 I know of no revelation save that which has been written, neither prophecy; wherefore, that which is sufficient is written.
I believe that you misunderstand the words of Abinadom. I can say with 100% certainty that at least one of us misunderstands those words. From that verse I understand that there was no revelation or prophecy in Abinadom's time that was a new doctrine or new teaching, therefore what had already been written was sufficient.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

i just read in the History of the Church where Joseph Smith says anyone who had a testimony of Jesus Christ sm the restoration was a prophet. In this sense he wanted everyone to be a "prophet" .

There has always been an organized church on the earth, and the church is just basically an organized Priesthood ( which can mean father to son )

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

I made reference to this on another post...before any great destruction, extra warnings were given out. Thus you'll read that part that says exceedingly many prophets. In Enos, he recounts that they had a huge lamanite uprising. Compare this with the Jaredites...they before their end, had exceedingly many prophets among them...before the destruction in 3 Nephi...prophets warned the people that if they did not repent they would be destroyed, yeah, even that great city Zarahemlah, Jerusalem, etc...etc... this is a pattern of warning to help people recognize the signs of the times. Before the 10 tribes were taken away also...extra prophets and extra warnings given because this is his pattern. It's kind of like OK the kids are naughty at home, and they are tired of only hearing the babysitter say they will get spanked so another kid at home also tells them that a spanking is emmiment if they don't stop...

Before any big destruction this pattern of extra warnings absolutely happens, in all of the scriptures. Usually you also read that they stoned and cast out the prophets or burned them around this time too in a few verses right after. At that point, its probably too late for them to turn back.

It also reflects a sort of upgraded version of their testimony being a bit more bold.

And what do you know if the pattern is like this then, I think we'll see things escalating now...