Temples are also for Work during the Millennium

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Sunain
captain of 1,000

Temples are also for Work during the Millennium

Post by Sunain »

In a time of unprecedented access to the blessings of a temple — with 156 found throughout the world and many more in the planning and development stages — Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles declared that the Church would continue to build temples.

“We’re building these temples, not only for us in this moment of our history, but we’re building temples which will be used during the Millennium when this great work will be carried on in the house of the Lord ... under the direction and supervision of the Lord Jesus Christ Himself,” Elder Ballard said during a devotional to temple workers on Sunday, June 4. “That’s going to be a wonderful thing.”
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... rkers.html
156 temples certainly is a lot but probably not enough so that all people that ever lived can receive their ordinances. I'm sure there will be many more temples built around the world and that most of them will probably be still standing during the Millennium.

EdGoble
captain of 1,000

Re: Temples are also for Work during the Millennium

Post by EdGoble »

An interesting question that I have pondered sometimes is, how much real estate will the Lord preserve for the Millennium through the day of burning? Will it only be Temples?

I have often wondered, what will become of the computer systems with all the databases that we need, and all the family-history records, and all the Church historical records? Will special protection be given to these things to survive the day of burning?

I've often wondered what will become of all of my family historical records in the burning. I hope the Lord will preserve these things like he preserved the Book of Mormon plates, so we don't have to reconstruct them all by looking through a Urim and Thummim.

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

All the backups are stored in the Granite Mountain facility.
There will be temples that will not survive the cataclysms to come. However, there are those temples that the temple department considers "Millennial" temples, such as Mesa, Hawaii, Washington DC, SLC, Manti, Logan, Cardston, and others.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

EdGoble wrote: June 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm An interesting question that I have pondered sometimes is, how much real estate will the Lord preserve for the Millennium through the day of burning? Will it only be Temples?

I have often wondered, what will become of the computer systems with all the databases that we need, and all the family-history records, and all the Church historical records? Will special protection be given to these things to survive the day of burning?

I've often wondered what will become of all of my family historical records in the burning. I hope the Lord will preserve these things like he preserved the Book of Mormon plates, so we don't have to reconstruct them all by looking through a Urim and Thummim.
I've wondered the same thing. The scriptures teach us that the earth will be completely burned and renewed by fire and all man made things will be essentially burned as stubble. Not only that, the scriptures teach that there will be no temple in the New Jerusalem. Do we really need to rely on computers during the Millennium anyway? Isn't the promise that the Holy Spirit will bring all things to our rememberance and more?

Further, what will any temples be used for? What work? I ask because, Christ will be here. No veil, so no need for symbolic representations of what has become a reality (Endowment Ceremony). All are born and from birth will have the Holy Spirit (will be endowed) and will be sealed. No need for water baptisms for them. We will have the keys of the resurrection, so no need for proxy work. The earth, as mentioned above, will receive its paradisiacal glory, it will be a temple. So, what work will require the physical temples during the Millennium?

-Finrock

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

2 Peter wrote:But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
-Finrock

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Finrock wrote: June 9th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Further, what will any temples be used for? What work? I ask because, Christ will be here. No veil, so no need for symbolic representations of what has become a reality (Endowment Ceremony). All are born and from birth will have the Holy Spirit (will be endowed) and will be sealed. No need for water baptisms for them. We will have the keys of the resurrection, so no need for proxy work. The earth, as mentioned above, will receive its paradisiacal glory, it will be a temple. So, what work will require the physical temples during the Millennium?

-Finrock
Just shows that you're not on the same page with LDS doctrine. You either don't understand it or you simply don't believe it.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Kingdom of God political organization during Millennium

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/kingd ... n?lang=eng

"The kingdom of God on earth is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (D&C 65). The purpose of the Church is to prepare its members to live forever in the celestial kingdom or kingdom of heaven. However, the scriptures sometimes call the Church the kingdom of heaven, meaning that the Church is the kingdom of heaven on earth.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the kingdom of God on the earth, but it is at present limited to an ecclesiastical kingdom. During the Millennium, the kingdom of God will be both political and ecclesiastical."

Angles visit earth and help with temple work as well as political governance. Also states not all who survive will be members initially:

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-princ ... m?lang=eng

"Joseph Smith said that immortal beings will frequently visit the earth. These resurrected beings will help with the government and other work. (See Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 268.)"

"Because of the destruction of the wicked at the Savior’s Second Coming, only righteous people will live on the earth at the beginning of the Millennium. They will be those who have lived virtuous and honest lives. These people will inherit either the terrestrial or celestial kingdom."

"People will still have their agency, and for a time many will be free to continue with their religions and ideas. Eventually everyone will confess that Jesus Christ is the Savior."

The last reference I gave, chapter 45 of the Gospel Principles manual has the best overview of all of these points and more. Here it is again:

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

EdGoble wrote: June 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm An interesting question that I have pondered sometimes is, how much real estate will the Lord preserve for the Millennium through the day of burning? Will it only be Temples?
The Lord counciled us to stand in holy places until he comes again. Not everything will be destroyed before is returns. Sure, there will be destruction. We've​ seen that happen in two world wars already but a lot will be intact.
Wherefore, stand ye in holy places, and be not moved, until the day of the Lord come; for behold, it cometh quickly, saith the Lord. Amen.
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testa ... lang=eng#7
Our homes, chapels and temples are considered Holy Places. If you haven't done so, dedicate your home or get a priesthood holder to do so for you. Note though, unlike a temple, a dedicated house is not consecrated.
Our chapels are dedicated to the Lord as holy places. We are told we should go to the house of prayer and offer up our sacraments upon His holy day.

In addition to temples, surely another holy place on earth ought to be our homes.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng
20.11 Dedicating Homes
Church members may dedicate their homes as sacred edifices where the Holy Spirit can reside and where family members can worship, find safety from the world, grow spiritually, and prepare for eternal family relationships. Homes need not be free of debt to be dedicated. Unlike Church buildings, homes are not consecrated to the Lord.

A Melchizedek Priesthood holder may dedicate a home by the power of the priesthood. If there is not a Melchizedek Priesthood holder in the home, a family might invite a close relative, a home teacher, or another Melchizedek Priesthood holder to dedicate the home.
https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2 ... &_r=1#2011
EdGoble wrote: June 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm I have often wondered, what will become of the computer systems with all the databases that we need, and all the family-history records, and all the Church historical records? Will special protection be given to these things to survive the day of burning?
https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Digiti ... e_Mountain
http://www.mormonnewsroom.ca/article/gr ... ords-vault

Ancestry and the church partnered to digitize the records in the Granite Vault. I believe indexing is part of this process.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

shadow wrote: June 9th, 2017, 1:13 pm

-Finrock
Just shows that you're not on the same page with LDS doctrine. You either don't understand it or you simply don't believe it.
Cool. I know where you are coming from.

-Finrock

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

Zowieink wrote: June 9th, 2017, 12:13 pm All the backups are stored in the Granite Mountain facility.
There will be temples that will not survive the cataclysms to come. However, there are those temples that the temple department considers "Millennial" temples, such as Mesa, Hawaii, Washington DC, SLC, Manti, Logan, Cardston, and others.
Where did you get this idea from?

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Zowieink wrote: June 9th, 2017, 12:13 pm All the backups are stored in the Granite Mountain facility.
How do you know the temple department has a list of "Millennial" temples?

(DesertWonderer beat me to the question!)

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Michelle wrote: June 9th, 2017, 1:34 pm Not sure why you think there won't be a temple at the New Jerusalem. We are taught it will be built by the descendants of Lehi if I remember correctly.
Rev. 21 wrote:9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb’s wife.

10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,

11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;

12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:

13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.

14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

15 And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.

16 And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.

17 And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.

18 And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.

19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;

20 The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.

21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.

22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.

23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
-Finrock

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Michelle wrote: June 9th, 2017, 2:21 pm Kingdom of God political organization during Millennium

"The kingdom of God on earth is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (D&C 65). The purpose of the Church is to prepare its members to live forever in the celestial kingdom or kingdom of heaven. However, the scriptures sometimes call the Church the kingdom of heaven, meaning that the Church is the kingdom of heaven on earth.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the kingdom of God on the earth, but it is at present limited to an ecclesiastical kingdom. During the Millennium, the kingdom of God will be both political and ecclesiastical."

Angles visit earth and help with temple work as well as political governance. Also states not all who survive will be members initially:

"Joseph Smith said that immortal beings will frequently visit the earth. These resurrected beings will help with the government and other work. (See Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 268.)"

"Because of the destruction of the wicked at the Savior’s Second Coming, only righteous people will live on the earth at the beginning of the Millennium. They will be those who have lived virtuous and honest lives. These people will inherit either the terrestrial or celestial kingdom."

"People will still have their agency, and for a time many will be free to continue with their religions and ideas. Eventually everyone will confess that Jesus Christ is the Savior."

The last reference I gave, chapter 45 of the Gospel Principles manual has the best overview of all of these points and more. Here it is again:

Thanks for the responses, references, and the supporting ideas that you presented to support your position.

2 Peter that I quoted speaks of when Christ will appear again in his glory, ushering in the Millennium. There are other scriptures too which speak about the Earth being destroyed by fire when Jesus Christ appears again in His glory just prior to the Millennium.

Although I respect the Gospel Principle manual and I understand the position that it has, it doesn't always match up with what is found in a careful study of the scriptures. The scriptures supersede any correlated translations, interpretations, or understandings, which are most often found in Church manuals and such. In other words, if you can find scriptures supporting your position, I would appreciate that.

Respectfully,
Finrock

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Sunain wrote: June 9th, 2017, 3:50 pm The Lord counciled us to stand in holy places until he comes again. Not everything will be destroyed before is returns. Sure, there will be destruction. We've​ seen that happen in two world wars already but a lot will be intact.
The scriptures say the earth will be burned and all things upon it will melt away and dissipate when Jesus comes again in His glory. The earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

When you are holy or have been sanctified by the Holy Spirit or you possess the Holy Spirit or the Holy Spirit is your constant companion, then where ever you stand will be holy. To stand in holy places is more about becoming pure in heart, set apart, internally, as a person, full of the Holy Spirit.

Don't forget, your body is a temple, built without hands. The question to ask yourself, what spirit resides in your temple? The Spirit of God or some other spirit? If the Spirit of God, then you stand within a holy temple, if not then no matter where you stand you stand in unholy places.

-Finrock

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Finrock wrote: June 9th, 2017, 7:15 pm
Sunain wrote: June 9th, 2017, 3:50 pm The Lord counciled us to stand in holy places until he comes again. Not everything will be destroyed before is returns. Sure, there will be destruction. We've​ seen that happen in two world wars already but a lot will be intact.
The scriptures say the earth will be burned and all things upon it will melt away and dissipate when Jesus comes again in His glory. The earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

When you are holy or have been sanctified by the Holy Spirit or you possess the Holy Spirit or the Holy Spirit is your constant companion, then where ever you stand will be holy. To stand in holy places is more about becoming pure in heart, set apart, internally, as a person, full of the Holy Spirit.

Don't forget, your body is a temple, built without hands. The question to ask yourself, what spirit resides in your temple? The Spirit of God or some other spirit? If the Spirit of God, then you stand within a holy temple, if not then no matter where you stand you stand in unholy places.

-Finrock
As Michelle also pointed out above, "All things" aren't going be burned away. Only that which Christ deems as corrupt will. People will still needed their homes to live in all around the world during the Millennium. President Ballard's quote in the opening post also seems to indicate that most of the temples will still be around through the Millennium. Below are few quotes that discuss this.
When Jesus comes again, He will come in power and great glory. At that time the wicked will be destroyed. All things that are corrupt will be burned, and the earth will be cleansed by fire (see D&C 101:24–25).
https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-princ ... t?lang=eng
24 And every corruptible thing, both of man, or of the beasts of the field, or of the fowls of the heavens, or of the fish of the sea, that dwells upon all the face of the earth, shall be consumed;

25 And also that of element shall melt with fervent heat; and all things shall become new, that my knowledge and glory may dwell upon all the earth.
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testa ... ang=eng#23
“Some members of the Church have an erroneous idea that when the millennium comes all of the people are going to be swept off the earth except righteous members of the Church. That is not so. There will be millions of people, Catholics, Protestants, agnostics, Mohammedans, people of all classes, and of all beliefs, still permitted to remain upon the face of the earth, but they will be those who have lived clean lives, those who have been free from wickedness and corruption. All who belong, by virtue of their good lives, to the terrestrial order, as well as those who have kept the celestial law, will remain upon the face of the earth during the millennium.

“Eventually, however, the knowledge of the Lord will cover the earth as the waters do the sea. But there will be need for the preaching of the gospel, after the millennium is brought in, until all men are either converted or pass away” (Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 1:86–87).
https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrines-of ... h?lang=eng
Last edited by Sunain on June 9th, 2017, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Sunain wrote: June 9th, 2017, 8:17 pm
Finrock wrote: June 9th, 2017, 7:15 pm

-Finrock
As Michelle also pointed out above, "All things" aren't going be burned away. Only that which Christ deems as corrupt will. Below are a few quotes that discuss this.
When Jesus comes again, He will come in power and great glory. At that time the wicked will be destroyed. All things that are corrupt will be burned, and the earth will be cleansed by fire (see D&C 101:24–25).
https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-princ ... t?lang=eng
“Some members of the Church have an erroneous idea that when the millennium comes all of the people are going to be swept off the earth except righteous members of the Church. That is not so. There will be millions of people, Catholics, Protestants, agnostics, Mohammedans, people of all classes, and of all beliefs, still permitted to remain upon the face of the earth, but they will be those who have lived clean lives, those who have been free from wickedness and corruption. All who belong, by virtue of their good lives, to the terrestrial order, as well as those who have kept the celestial law, will remain upon the face of the earth during the millennium.

“Eventually, however, the knowledge of the Lord will cover the earth as the waters do the sea. But there will be need for the preaching of the gospel, after the millennium is brought in, until all men are either converted or pass away” (Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 1:86–87).
All "things" is different from all "people". Did you read the scripture in D&C 101 that was referenced?
D&C 101 wrote:24 And every corruptible thing, both of man, or of the beasts of the field, or of the fowls of the heavens, or of the fish of the sea, that dwells upon all the face of the earth, shall be consumed;

25 And also that of element shall melt with fervent heat; and all things shall become new, that my knowledge and glory may dwell upon all the earth.
I know what the manual says, but a careful reading of the scriptures reveals something different. What are corruptible things? Also, D&C 101 identifies "that of element shall melt with fervent heat; all things shall become new..."

Corruptible things are things which have no everlasting permanence. Brick, mortar, things built by man, matter itself, is corruptible. All things made by man are corruptible at last.

2 Peter 3 stands as a second witness to this, "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness."

The elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are theirein shall burn up. All these things shall be dissolved.

-Finrock
Last edited by Finrock on June 9th, 2017, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Speaking of protection by standing in holy places: the Saints in India who were at church when a big earthquake hit and were all safe.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/latter- ... l?lang=eng

"The Church is small in Nepal. There is one branch with fewer than 100 active members. When the quake struck, most members were together for Sabbath services in a rented meetinghouse in Kathmandu, said Jeff Foy, the Church’s emergency response manager."

Another cool story: twice the Fiji Temple was dedicated by a small private party: 2000 political unrest, 2016 after a cyclone. All who participated were safe.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/preside ... s?lang=eng

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

What about this?:
Words of Joseph Smith:

16 March 1841 (Tuesday).1
Mclntire Minute Book

Next Meeting . .. Joseph Said th they wiked will Not all be Distroyed at the Coming of Christ & also there will be wiked During the Melenium2—for instance Isaiah says the Days of an infant shall be as the age of a tree3 also Zarch.—says all who Does Not Come up year by year with their Gifts to the preasts of the tabernicle that No Rain shall fall upon them—& that Jesus will be a Resident on the Earth a thousand [years] with the Saints is Not the Case but will Raign over the saints & come Down & instruct as he Did the 5 hundrd Brethern4 (1st Cor. 15) & those of the first Resurrection will also Raign with him over the saints—then after the Little Season is Expired & the Earth underGoes its Last Change & is Gloryfyed then will all the meek inherit the Earth wherein Dwelleth Righteous5—he says satan Cannot Seduce us by his Enticements unles we in our harts Consent & yeald—our organization such that we can Resest the Devil If we were Not organized so we would Not be free agents.6

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

my comments in blue:

I've wondered the same thing. The scriptures teach us that the earth will be completely burned and renewed by fire and all man made things will be essentially burned as stubble.Michelle is right, you are mixing up two events. The earth will not be 'completely burned and renewed by fire' at the second coming of Christ, at his coming, the wicked will be burned as stubble, but the righteous will be preserved.Not only that, the scriptures teach that there will be no temple in the New Jerusalem.To read it this way ignores our modern revelation that there will be a temple in the New Jerusalem--Joseph Smith planned a temple complex. I believe Revelation 21:22 is referring to when the earth would be celestialized, that comes at the end of the Millenium. Do we really need to rely on computers during the Millennium anyway? Isn't the promise that the Holy Spirit will bring all things to our rememberance and more?Yes, I think we will use computers and we will also have lots of help from the other side. I see no reason why we wouldn't use all the gifts and blessings God has bestowed on us in this technological age,
and continue to receive more.

Further, what will any temples be used for? What work?The same work they are used for now, though I think we may possibly be doing the second anointing ordinance by proxy as well. There are many references from church leaders that we will be doing temple work throughout the Millenium, but if you reject those references outside the canon of Scripture, then I can see why you wouldn't have any idea what we might use a temple for in the Millenium. I ask because, Christ will be here. No veil, so no need for symbolic representations of what has become a reality (Endowment Ceremony). All are born and from birth will have the Holy Spirit (will be endowed) and will be sealed. No need for water baptisms for them. We will have the keys of the resurrection, so no need for proxy work.I don't know where you get all this from, we will still have ordinances for the living and we will do ordinances for the dead. When Jesus appeared to the Nephites, the first thing he did was give his disciples power to baptize. He was there with them, yet he desired that all should be baptized, as the entrance into the covenant they would make with him and to receive the gift of the holy ghost, which is given through the laying on of hands. This is the doctrine of Christ--I see no reason why Jesus would do away with his own doctrine when there will be just as many living and to be living who will need it. The earth, as mentioned above, will receive its paradisiacal glory, it will be a temple. So, what work will require the physical temples during the Millennium?The world will be terrestrial, it does not become Celestialized until the end of the Millenium. Don't forget that Satan will be loosed for a little season before the final end of the world--it is not perfect during the Millenium, it is Terrestrial. And clearly the Temples will be needed for Temple work during the Millenium. That's their purpose and we'll need more of them.

-Finrock
Michelle gave you an excellent run down on these two events and how they would be different, did you consider that you just might have some erroneous notions and maybe look into the information she shared, or did you just blow her off? To me, it seemed from your response to her that you were blowing her off. However, what she explained to you IS LDS doctrine, and as such, those who believe LDS doctrine to be correct, will read the scriptures (including the scripture you shared from 2 Peter ) within that context.

In a nutshell here's the two events in question; LDS teachings are that at the second coming, the wicked will be destroyed, but the righteous saved. The earth enters a Terrestrial stage, with Jesus reigning on earth. The work in Temples, and the gospel continue through the Millenium, 1,000 years appx. Then, at the end of the Millenium, Satan is 'loosed' once again and after the great battle, the earth is THEN completely burned and passes away, is 'resurrected'----it turns into a sea of glass, as Joseph described a great urim and thummim, and receives it's Celestial glory returning to where God is in the Heavens and then those who inherit Celestial glory will live there.

I hope this helps clarify this.

Here are some quotes on this subject;

“The time is not far distant when great judgments will be poured out upon the wicked inhabitants of the earth. Every Prophet who has looked forward to our day has seen and predicted that the wicked would be destroyed. Their destruction means the destruction of Satan’s power. The righteous will be left, and because of their righteousness the Lord will have mercy upon them; they, exercising their agency in the right direction, will bring down His blessings upon them to such an extent that Satan will be bound” (George Q. Cannon, Gospel Truth, 1:86–87).

When Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon, he learned that America is the land of Zion which was given to Joseph and his children and that on this land the City Zion, or New Jerusalem, is to be built. He also learned that Jerusalem in Palestine is to be rebuilt and become a holy city. [3 Nephi 20:22; 21:20–29; Ether 13:1–12.] These two cities, one in the land of Zion and one in Palestine, are to become capitals for the kingdom of God during the millennium” (Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 3:71).
“That this work may be hastened so that all who believe, in the spirit world, may receive the benefit of deliverance, it is revealed that the great work of the Millennium shall be the work in the temples for the redemption of the dead; and then we hope to enjoy the benefits of revelation through the Urim and Thummim, or by such means as the Lord may reveal concerning those for whom the work shall be done, so that we may not work by chance, or by faith alone, without knowledge, but with the actual knowledge revealed unto us” (Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, 438).
Some members of the Church have an erroneous idea that when the millennium comes all of the people are going to be swept off the earth except righteous members of the Church. That is not so. There will be millions of people, Catholics, Protestants, agnostics, Mohammedans, people of all classes, and of all beliefs, still permitted to remain upon the face of the earth, but they will be those who have lived clean lives, those who have been free from wickedness and corruption. All who belong, by virtue of their good lives, to the terrestrial order, as well as those who have kept the celestial law, will remain upon the face of the earth during the millennium.

“In that great change, or resurrection, which shall come to this earth, it shall be sanctified, celestialized and made a fit abode even for God the Father, who shall grace it with his presence. (D.C. 88:19.) Then shall the righteous, those who have become sanctified through the law of God, possess it for ever as their abode. This earth is destined to become the everlasting residence of its inhabitants who gain the glory of the celestial kingdom. It shall become in that day like the throne of God and shall shine forth with all the splendor and brightness of celestial glory in its eternal, sanctified and glorious state” (Smith, Way to Perfection, 351).

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Jonesy1982 wrote: June 9th, 2017, 9:23 pm What about this?:
Words of Joseph Smith:

Mclntire Minute Book

Next Meeting . .. Joseph Said th they wiked will Not all be Distroyed at the Coming of Christ & also there will be wiked During the Melenium2—for instance Isaiah says the Days of an infant shall be as the age of a tree3 also Zarch.—says all who Does Not Come up year by year with their Gifts to the preasts of the tabernicle that No Rain shall fall upon them—& that Jesus will be a Resident on the Earth a thousand [years] with the Saints is Not the Case but will Raign over the saints & come Down & instruct as he Did the 5 hundrd Brethern4 (1st Cor. 15) & those of the first Resurrection will also Raign with him over the saints—then after the Little Season is Expired & the Earth underGoes its Last Change & is Gloryfyed then will all the meek inherit the Earth wherein Dwelleth Righteous5—he says satan Cannot Seduce us by his Enticements unles we in our harts Consent & yeald—our organization such that we can Resest the Devil If we were Not organized so we would Not be free agents.6
I wonder who took those notes, Pretty creative spelling there ;) ....

Just for balance, Orson Pratt, who knew the Prophet, seems to have had a different impression:
What a happy earth this creation will be, when this purifying process shall come, and the earth be filled with the knowledge of God as the waters cover the great deep! What a change! Travel, then, from one end of the earth to another, you can find no wicked man, no drunken man, no man to blaspheme the name of the Great Creator, no one to lay hold on his neighbor’s goods, and steal them, no one to commit whoredoms” (in Journal of Discourses, 21:325).

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Finrock wrote: June 9th, 2017, 6:17 pm
Michelle wrote: June 9th, 2017, 2:21 pm Kingdom of God political organization during Millennium

Thanks for the responses, references, and the supporting ideas that you presented to support your position.

2 Peter that I quoted speaks of when Christ will appear again in his glory, ushering in the Millennium. There are other scriptures too which speak about the Earth being destroyed by fire when Jesus Christ appears again in His glory just prior to the Millennium.

Although I respect the Gospel Principle manual and I understand the position that it has, it doesn't always match up with what is found in a careful study of the scriptures. The scriptures supersede any correlated translations, interpretations, or understandings, which are most often found in Church manuals and such. In other words, if you can find scriptures supporting your position, I would appreciate that.

Respectfully,
Finrock
Actually, In our church, where we we are blessed to have a living Prophet and modern day revelation, they take precedence over the written word of God-scripture, and when they clarify the written word, we should look carefully at their teachings and reconsider our own interpretations. That may be shocking to some, but it's a fact, one that our church has acknowledged and ordered itself on since the time of the Prophet Joseph Smith jr.

I'm sure you've seen reference to this event before, I know it's been shared on the forum several times, but I'll share it again;
Wilford Woodruff, the fourth President of the Church, reported: “I will refer to a certain meeting I attended in the town of Kirtland in my early days. At that meeting some remarks were made … with regard to the living oracles and with regard to the written word of God. … A leading man in the Church got up and talked upon the subject, and said: ‘You have got the word of God before you here in the Bible, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants; you have the written word of God, and you who give revelations should give revelations according to those books, as what is written in those books is the word of God. We should confine ourselves to them.’

“When he concluded, Brother Joseph turned to Brother Brigham Young and said, ‘Brother Brigham, I want you to take the stand and tell us your views with regard to the living oracles and the written word of God.’ Brother Brigham took the stand, and he took the Bible, and laid it down; he took the Book of Mormon, and laid it down; and he took the Book of Doctrine and Covenants, and laid it down before him, and he said: ‘There is the written word of God to us, concerning the work of God from the beginning of the world, almost, to our day. And now,’ said he, ‘when compared with the [living] oracles those books are nothing to me; those books do not convey the word of God direct to us now, as do the words of a Prophet or a man bearing the Holy Priesthood in our day and generation. I would rather have the living oracles than all the writing in the books.’ That was the course he pursued. When he was through, Brother Joseph said to the congregation: ‘Brother Brigham has told you the word of the Lord, and he has told you the truth.’”16
https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-jo ... 6?lang=eng

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

AI2.0 wrote: June 10th, 2017, 9:36 am
Jonesy1982 wrote: June 9th, 2017, 9:23 pm What about this?:
Words of Joseph Smith:

Mclntire Minute Book

I wonder who took those notes, Pretty creative spelling there ;) ....

Just for balance, Orson Pratt, who knew the Prophet, seems to have had a different impression:
What a happy earth this creation will be, when this purifying process shall come, and the earth be filled with the knowledge of God as the waters cover the great deep! What a change! Travel, then, from one end of the earth to another, you can find no wicked man, no drunken man, no man to blaspheme the name of the Great Creator, no one to lay hold on his neighbor’s goods, and steal them, no one to commit whoredoms” (in Journal of Discourses, 21:325).
What I'm getting at is the earth will be in a terrestrialized state, not a sanctified state that it will eventually become. When he says "wicked", the notes say those are the terrestrial beings that live there but will still need the Gospel preached to them (I agree).

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Keep in mind that all that is recorded on earth is also recorded in heaven. If my computer is destroyed by an EMP, my limited hard copy records are destroyed by fire, and no technology survives to read digital records stored in the church vaults, this is still all recorded in heaven.

Probably a significant majority of the people who have lived on earth can't be found in records that exist on earth, so we will need direct communication between the mortal world and the spirit world to accumulate records that don't exist here and get ordinances done for those who are waiting.

One of the many reasons why I look forward to the millennium is because I know that we don't have the technology that will be used then, and we can't really imagine what that tech looks like. I can't wait to see it, play with it, and learn it!

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

AI2.0 wrote: June 10th, 2017, 9:50 am

Respectfully,
Finrock
Actually, In our church, where we we are blessed to have a living Prophet and modern day revelation, they take precedence over the written word of God-scripture, and when they clarify the written word, we should look carefully at their teachings and reconsider our own interpretations. That may be shocking to some, but it's a fact, one that our church has acknowledged and ordered itself on since the time of the Prophet Joseph Smith jr.

I'm sure you've seen reference to this event before, I know it's been shared on the forum several times, but I'll share it again;
Wilford Woodruff, the fourth President of the Church, reported: “I will refer to a certain meeting I attended in the town of Kirtland in my early days. At that meeting some remarks were made … with regard to the living oracles and with regard to the written word of God. … A leading man in the Church got up and talked upon the subject, and said: ‘You have got the word of God before you here in the Bible, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants; you have the written word of God, and you who give revelations should give revelations according to those books, as what is written in those books is the word of God. We should confine ourselves to them.’

“When he concluded, Brother Joseph turned to Brother Brigham Young and said, ‘Brother Brigham, I want you to take the stand and tell us your views with regard to the living oracles and the written word of God.’ Brother Brigham took the stand, and he took the Bible, and laid it down; he took the Book of Mormon, and laid it down; and he took the Book of Doctrine and Covenants, and laid it down before him, and he said: ‘There is the written word of God to us, concerning the work of God from the beginning of the world, almost, to our day. And now,’ said he, ‘when compared with the [living] oracles those books are nothing to me; those books do not convey the word of God direct to us now, as do the words of a Prophet or a man bearing the Holy Priesthood in our day and generation. I would rather have the living oracles than all the writing in the books.’ That was the course he pursued. When he was through, Brother Joseph said to the congregation: ‘Brother Brigham has told you the word of the Lord, and he has told you the truth.’”16
I agree partly, but you're missing some things from your post. First, not everything ever said by any church president or general authority is prophetic. As Joseph Smith said, a Prophet is only a prophet when speaking as such. Secondly, while new revelations from a prophet can take precedence, they must be proven to be revelations from God and not just the man's opinion. Thirdly, any such revelation should fit with the scriptures and serve only to add more knowledge, not to change or contradict the scriptures. Because of the qualifiers, you can't just take a statement by any church leader over the scriptures. Whatever they say, if it contradicts scripture, it was not a real revelation, but rather just opinion and can be discarded.
bro Jones wrote: Found this in the Encyclopedia of Mormonism today; thought it worth sharing.

Prophet: Prophets
Author: BRITSCH, RALPH A.
Author: BRITSCH, TODD A.

A belief in prophets and their messages lies at the heart of LDS doctrine (A of F 4, 5, 6, 7, 9). Latter-day Saints recognize the biblical and Book of Mormon prophets, as well as latter-day prophets, as servants of Jesus Christ and accept as scripture the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Pearl of Great Price, and the Doctrine and Covenants. They believe that Joseph Smith and all subsequent presidents of the church were and are prophets and representatives of Jesus Christ.

The word "prophet" comes from the Greek prophetes, which means "inspired teacher." Although neither the Greek term nor its Hebrew equivalent, nabi, initially required the function of foretelling (Smith, p. 3), all prophecy looks to the future. Since the Lord has chosen some of his servants to be foretellers-to disclose, sometimes in specific terms, momentous events that are to occur-the predictive element often overshadows other implications of the word in the minds of some (see Revelation; Jesus Christ: Prophecies About Jesus Christ).

But the gift of prophecy is not restricted to those whose words have been recorded in scripture. By scriptural definition, a prophet is anyone who has a testimony of Jesus Christ and is moved by the Holy Ghost (Rev. 19:10; cf. TPJS, pp. 119, 160). Moses, voicing his approval of two men who had prophesied, exclaimed, "Would God that all the Lord's people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!" (Num. 11:26-29). Schools of prophets and "sons" (followers) of prophets, some false and some true, existed in large numbers in Old Testament times. In modern times, speaking of Brigham Young, Elder Wilford Woodruff said, "He is a prophet, I am a prophet, you are, and anybody is a prophet who has the testimony of Jesus Christ, for that is the spirit of prophecy" (JD 13:165; see Spirit of Prophecy). It follows that this spirit does not operate in every utterance of its possessor. The Prophet Joseph Smith explained that "a prophet [is] a prophet only when he [is] acting as such" (HC 5:265).
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation 3:203-204.

It makes no difference what is written or what anyone has said, if what has been said is in conflict with what the Lord has revealed, we can set it aside. My words, and the teachings of any other member of the Church, high or low, if they do not square with the revelations, we need not accept them. Let us have this matter clear. We have accepted the four standard works as the measuring yardsticks, or balances, by which we measure every man's doctrine.

You cannot accept the books written by the authorities of the Church as standards in doctrine, only in so far as they accord with the revealed word in the standard works.
Every man who writes is responsible, not the Church, for what he writes. If Joseph Fielding Smith writes something which is out of harmony with the revelations, then every member of the Church is duty bound to reject it. If he writes that which is in perfect harmony with the revealed word of the Lord, then it should be accepted.
See what he's saying? We can receive additional information from modern prophets, but it better be in harmony with the scriptures. Finrock is not wrong to want to see scriptures to back up statements quoted by leaders. Here's a second witness for you.

https://www.lds.org/manual/scripture-st ... 1?lang=eng

■ Using one or both of the following statements from Elder Harold B. Lee, then a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, discuss why the scriptures are called the standard works:
“How do we measure whether or not one’s teachings are true or false? If anyone teaches beyond what the scriptures teach, we may put it down as speculation except one man who has the right to bring forth any new doctrine—that is the one man who holds the keys—the prophet, seer, and revelator who presides in that high place. And no one else. If anyone presumes to bring forth what he claims to be new doctrine you may know that it is purely his own opinion and you label it as such regardless of his position in the Church. If it contradicts something that is in the scriptures, you may label it immediately that it is false. That is why we call the scriptures our four Standard Church Works. They are the standards by which we measure all doctrine and if anything is taught which is contrary to that which is in the scriptures, it is false. It is just that simple” (“Viewpoint of a Giant,” 6).

“All that we teach in this Church ought to be couched in the scriptures. It ought to be found in the scriptures. We ought to choose our texts from the scriptures. If we want to measure truth, we should measure it by the four standard works, regardless of who writes it. If it is not in the standard works, we may well assume that it is speculation, man’s own personal opinion; and if it contradicts what is in the scriptures, it is not true. This is the standard by which we measure all truth” (“Using the Scriptures in Our Church Assignments,” Improvement Era, Jan. 1969, 13).

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

AI2.0 wrote: June 10th, 2017, 9:50 am

Respectfully,
Finrock

Thanks for sharing your opinions and thoughts.

-Finrock