Believing that the Mysteries chart a path to heaven is one of Satan’s greatest tools to lead souls to Hell

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Believing that the Mysteries chart a path to heaven is one of Satan’s greatest tools to lead souls to Hell

Post by gclayjr »

We have not been given all of truth. We have been given what we need to return to our heavenly father. However, this has not been handed to us on a platter. We have to discover the truth which is sometimes hidden in the fog. Since we have to proceed on faith, not sure knowledge, God has provided us with a path which through humility and faith, we can find our way home. However, even this can be obscured if we chase after distractions.

We have been given scriptures. However, they have all been written by men. Inspired men, but men. Also in the case of the Bible, it has been translated by men, and men have made arbitrary decisions as to what is scripture, and what is just writings of men. If you look at scripture the way the blind men in the Indian fable of the blind men and the elephant “looked” at the elephant, we will lead ourselves every bit as far astray as they were.

When God restored his church on this earth, he said

D&C 13
Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth, until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness.
Wilford Woodruff said
The Lord will never permit me or any other man who stands as President of this Church to lead you astray. It is not in the programme. It is not in the mind of God. If I were to attempt that, the Lord would remove me out of my place, and so He will any other man who attempts to lead the children of men astray from the oracles of God and from their duty. (Sixty-first Semiannual General Conference of the Church, Monday, October 6, 1890, Salt Lake City, Utah. Reported in Deseret Evening News, October 11, 1890, p. 2.)
It matters not who lives or who dies, or who is called to lead this Church, they have got to lead it by the inspiration of Almighty God. If they do not do it that way, they cannot do it at all. …
However, again, whether reading scriptures or following the directions of the Lord’s annotated , we need to recognize that these are men’s sources inspired by God. He does not dictate word for word everything. He inspired men, who then tell us what the Lord has shown them, using their own words from their own window of observation.

We need to be careful, how we slice and select things, because that can lead us away from the truth, and even into the arms of Satan.

First we need to learn and get a testimony of the basics.
We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.
3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Etc
These basics are reinforced over and over. God has given us some insights into mysteries, but there is much that he has not yet explained. We aren’t ready for it. That is why we still haven’t seen the sealed portion of the plates, or even the Brass plates of Nephite times, and who knows what else.

For instance, God has assured us that little children who die before reaching the age of accountability will be saved in the Celestial Kingdom without the need for baptism. This provides comfort for those who have lost little children. Mothers have been comforted in being told that in heaven they will get to raise those children who died here on earth. What does that mean? Were those children more valiant than we were in the pre-existence? Are they predestined to die? If I kill a child am I predestined to do it, fulfilling God’s will?

Maybe these are all interesting questions, and in our curiosity, it might be interesting to explore them, However, as soon as we determine that our “understanding” of these mysteries, supersedes the basics, we have started down that dark path Satan has carefully prepared, leading us to hell.

We have a few references to a Celestial Law of Consecration, including a chapter in 4rth Nephi, about people having all things in common, and having no poor among them. We also have a reference to a failed attempt by the early LDS Church to set up a Law of Consecration for people migrating to a new location called the United Order. However, many of the details of what a future implementation of a Law of Consecration in the Celestial world will be, have not been revealed. We have been told that we can live a personal law of consecration today, no matter what worldly economic system we live in.

Again it is interesting to speculate what a Celestial Law of Consecration might look like. Centering yourself on that speculation, and concluding that the church has strayed, is playing into Satan’s hands, and leading you down that path to Hell

We can speculate regarding symbolism of events in the Garden of Eden, and things that are in the Temple Pageant, or play silly games with concepts like Devil always lying, like it is a parlor game where one figures out what question to ask a brother as to which direction to take in a fork in the road, when you know one brother always lies and the other one always tells the truth, but you don’t know which one you are talking to.

Again, once that speculation takes one away from the basic true concepts, and again Satan is winning and gaining another soul.

We have the truth all around us if we look for it. We have the scriptures, we have the guidance of the Lord’s anointed leaders in the True restored Church, and we have the guidance of the holy spirit,. However via pride, and arrogance, Satan can lead us all astray with all of these tools. This is often happens when we parse men’s words in the scriptures to convince us that there are mysteries out there that override basic truths. We do this when we take selected statements by church leaders outside of the context of the leadership of the church to either convince ourselves that they are fallen, or to convince ourselves that they reveal some great mystery, Again Satan has bound us. Even a misplaced belief in the guidance of the holy spirit, can be Satan’s tool to lead us to hell, because it is only the prideful and arrogant who convince themselves that they always recognize the spirit, and cannot be fooled either by their our own desires, or something else misleading.

We can, however be sure, that the fundamentals are true. The Scriptures are extremely Clear about them, The Lord’s anointed Prophets are extremely clear about them, and the promptings of the Holy Ghost are extremely clear about them. By the mouths of 2 or more witnesses we can know the truth of all things.

Now there are things that I don’t understand. For example, I have had some difficulty understanding the Church’s policies regarding baptizing, giving temple recommends, and sending on missions, illegal aliens, who must lie in order to remain in the U.S. However, Since I know the Church is true. Since I know that the leaders of the Church are God’s anointed to lead this church, I doubt my doubts and not the church in regards to this. I might study it out and pray a bit more to understand, but since I am rooted in the fundamental truths, I know that whatever I find a bit disturbing is because of my incomplete understanding, rather than a church that has gone astray.

Regards,

George Clay

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Re: Believing that the Mysteries chart a path to heaven is one of Satan’s greatest tools to lead souls to Hell

Post by Juliet »

As long as we are human, we will speculate. And as long as we are not yet living in crystal mansions, then we need to search out the mysteries of God. The book of Mormon tells us clearly the devil's tactics to lead us down to hell. It mentions that those who preach false doctrines will go down to hell. In 2 Nephi 28 it teaches that (vs 19) "the kingdom of the devil must shake, and they which belong to it must needs to stirred up unto repentance, or the devil will grasp them with his everlasting chains, and they be stirred up to anger, and perish; For behold, at that day shall he rage in the hearts of the children of men, and stir them up to anger against that which is good. And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well--and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them way carefully down to hell. And behold, others he flattereth anway, and telleth them there is no hell; and he saith unto them: I am no devil, for there is none--and thus he whispereth in their ears, until he grasps them with his awful chains, from whence there is no deliverance. ...Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion! Wo be unto him that crieth: All is well! Yea, wo be unto him that hearkeneth unto the precepts of men, and denieth the power of God, and the gift of the Holy Ghost. Yea, wo be unto him that saith: We have received, and we need no more. And in fine, wo unto all those who tremble, and are angry because of the truth of God! For behold, he that is built upon the rock receiveth it with gladness; and he that is built upon a sandy foundation trembleth lest he shall fall. Wo be unto him that shall say: We have received the word of God and we need no more of the word of God, for we have enough! for behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little, and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts and lend and ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away that which they have. (verses 20-30).

It seems to me, that God is trying very hard to teach us His wisdom. Who are we to limit the amount of wisdom God wants to give us? If we are privileged to know the mysteries of God, perhaps it is because we have learned to follow the teachings of the Holy Spirit, and we don't limit what God knows or is willing to teach us. We don't say we have enough, we continue to learn line upon line until we know the mysteries of the kingdom in full.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Re: Believing that the Mysteries chart a path to heaven is one of Satan’s greatest tools to lead souls to Hell

Post by Jonesy »

I've noticed the pattern that we are to "go on" to perfection when seeking higher blessings. Wherever we start in our path, or whatever greater blessings we obtain, we will inevitably have to learn to be experts in the first principles of the Gospel one way or another. It's by consistent use of them, not bypassing them.
1 ​Therefore ​not​ leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God.(JST Hebrews 6)
Words of Joseph Smith (WofJS):

Then I would exhort you to go on & continue to call upon God untill you make your Calling & election sure for yourselves by obtaining this more sure word of Prophesey & wait patiently for the promise untill you obtain it
WoJS:

Make your calling and election sure go on from grace to grace untill you obtain a promise from God for yourselves that you shall have eternal life, this is eternal life to know God and his son Jesus Christ, it is to be sealed up unto eternal life and obtain a promise for our posterity.
WoJS:

I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness3—a man can do nothing for himself unless God direct him in the right way, and the Priesthood is reserved for that purpose
Last edited by Jonesy on June 9th, 2017, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

This little phrase by Joseph stands out to me:

" & wait patiently for the promise untill you obtain it"

This is where so many go astray in pursuit of these sacred assurances and blessings from the Lord. So many start this sacred pursuit and then want to have immediate gratification in what they seek. They push and push for an answer until they open themselves up to false revelation and false spirits who are waiting in the wings and are more than willing to answer this lack of patience with their own brand of false revelation. Those who develop a broken heart and a contrite spirit are willing to do the heavy lifting with a lifetime of service and consecration patiently waiting for the Lord to send them His assurances in HIS own time. They are more than willing to wait a lifetime to receive these assurance. They do not try to force the Lords hand in any way. That is the difference. This "fastest way to obtain" stuff bantered about on Internet forums is a fools errand perpetrated by those who have opened themselves up to deception. Pay them no heed.

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

However, as soon as we determine that our “understanding” of these mysteries, supersedes the basics, we have started down that dark path Satan has carefully prepared, leading us to hell.
Alma 12: 9-11
"And now Alma began to expound these things unto him, saying: It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him. And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full. And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser portion of the word until they know nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the chains of hell."

The chains of hell are ignorance of the mysteries. That being said, I wouldn't be so confident that whatever crazy ideas running through your head (we all have them) are the mysteries and not simply imaginations or deception. If you are granted mysteries, you probably won't be permitted to share them. Likewise, if someone is sharing "mysteries" with you, I would exercise caution because they should have been "laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men".

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Mark wrote: June 9th, 2017, 10:27 am This "fastest way to obtain" stuff bantered about on Internet forums is a fools errand perpetrated by those who have opened themselves up to deception. Pay them no heed.
Because no discussion of this topic would be complete without the requisite bash on Amonhi.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Juliet,
As long as we are human, we will speculate. And as long as we are not yet living in crystal mansions, then we need to search out the mysteries of God. The book of Mormon tells us clearly the devil's tactics to lead us down to hell. It mentions that those who preach false doctrines will go down to hell.
I agree that it is natural to speculate. I also agree that God wants us to earnestly search all truth. The problem is that as humans, we sometimes get carried away with speculation and lose the plain and simple truths. I have observed this a lot on this board. For that reason, I thought it important to remind people that we need to ground our selves in the plain and simple truths.

The great sin of both Satan and man is Pride. We tend to think of pride as something social. When in fact pride, is that which makes us unteachable. It is pride, when we are so confident that either our "special" understanding of scripture, or what we perceive to be a special witness by the holy spirit, that we reject plain and simple truths, because the special "mysteries" that we have learned exempts us from them. We arrogantly think following basic gospel concepts, or the counsel of the Lord's anointed as "following the precepts of man", and that we, with our "special;" understanding are exempt from these things which are for the lesser informed.

I believe there is much wisdom in Elder Uchtdorf's statement "doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith"

Regards,

George Clay

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

Our Sunday school teacher in gospel doctrine a few months back--thought it showed Christ's "fun personality" the way Jesus answered the question in regards to the disputations of the Nephite people that lead to murmuring amongst them wondering what the church should be named. From my perspective, Christ's answer stings my heart at how easy it is to NOT have truth ( high and low level) revealed to us and what the consequences of having a lackadaisical approach by not seeking through diligent study and prayer means and CAN mean.. And Christ's answer was:

And it came to pass that as the disciples of Jesus were journeying and were preaching the things which they had both heard and seen, and were baptizing in the name of Jesus, it came to pass that the disciples were gathered together and were united in mighty prayer and fasting.

2And Jesus again showed himself unto them, for they were praying unto the Father in his name; and Jesus came and stood in the midst of them, and said unto them: What will ye that I shall give unto you?

3And they said unto him: Lord, we will that thou wouldst tell us the name whereby we shall call this church; for there are disputations among the people concerning this matter.

4And the Lord said unto them: Verily, verily, I say unto you, why is it that the people should murmur and dispute because of this thing?

5 ~~Have they not read the scriptures,~~~ which say ye must take upon you the name of Christ, which is my name? For by this name shall ye be called at the last day;

6And whoso taketh upon him my name, = (born of God mosiah 5 moving forward to receive mosiah 5:15 promise etc) and endureth to the end, the same shall be saved at the last day.

It is no different in our day and time. We murmur and dispute regarding God's truths be they simple or profound if we have rested the scriptures by lack of EFFORT and lack of true meaning. Yes?

Matthew 22:29

Truth is to be delineated and understood through the words of Christ which we can see and hear and properly understand etc. Also, as we hunger and thirst up on these words-- increased light and knowledge from the Holy Spirit can be given to us to understand even a broader view on truth that we seek. Yes? Alma 12

This is exactly what Nephi was teaching us when he said:

1 I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught >somewhat< in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, >>having had a ~~great~~ knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God,<< therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

We know that God is no respecter of persons and he will exalt and reveal to the least Saint as fast as he will exalt and reveal to the greatest Saint. Yes? As we give our hearts to learning and understand God's dealings with us and give proper heed and diligence through prayer and fasting and seeking for truth on matters that exalt and edify, uplift, and enlighten--- Our understanding becomes more than just "some what" we too if we are not hampered by unbelief etc--can like Nephi have a GREAT knowledge of the "goodness and Mysteries of God"
Yes?

1nephi 10:
17 And it came to pass after I, Nephi, having heard all the words of my father, concerning the things which he saw in a vision, and also the things which he spake by the power of the Holy Ghost, which power he received by faith on the Son of God—and the Son of God was the Messiah who should come—I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost, which is the gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him, as well in times of old as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men.

18 For he is the same yesterday, today, and forever; and the way is prepared for all men from the foundation of the world, if it so be that they repent and come unto him.

19 For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the course of the Lord is one eternal round.

20 Therefore remember, O man, for all thy doings thou shalt be brought into judgment.

21 Wherefore, if ye have sought to do wickedly in the days of your probation, then ye are found unclean before the judgment-seat of God; and no unclean thing can dwell with God; wherefore, ye must be cast off forever.

22 And the Holy Ghost giveth authority that I should speak these things, and deny them not.

Don't be content with being instructed with "somwhat" understanding / learning of all the things of God. Don't be content to remain living just the preparatory gospel / the lower law like the children of Israel. They had the opportunity to know and see and hear as Moses knew and saw And heard. (D&C 84)

D&C 88 ant D&C 76 etc make clear the salvational significance of how we should belive etc. So that we might SEE, HEAR, AND KNOW / receive...

As we strive to be blessed to grow in receiving father's mind and will and his heart I would be far less concerned about God not fighting our battles for us in the obtaining of these great blessings. I would be far more worried and concerned about being in a state of complacency moving forward thinking all is well in my Zion.

The scriptures are very clear that we receive line upon line precept upon precept here little there a little. however, as we show inspired determination the scriptures use the word diligence and harden not our hearts-- it does not have to be twighlight of our life / deathbed Awakening or receiving. The conditions are so clearly laid out for us in the scriptures on the how and why of bringing forth fruit of the Kingdom in our lives... is it any wonder that King Benjamin's people received the first advancement in obtaining a greater portion of Fathers word because King Benjamin preped them with these beautiful words:

Mosiah 2:

And these are the words which he spake and caused to be written, saying: My brethren, all ye that have assembled yourselves together, you that can hear my words which I shall speak unto you this day; for I have not commanded you to come up hither to trifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should hearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand, and your minds that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to your view.

May we ALL be similarly believing and focused and blessed... see Mosiah: chapters 4-5

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

I'm unplugging for a month from the forum Etc. you ever feel like you just want a month of consecrated focus toward Jesus / receiving his pure revelations? Don't get me wrong I've learned so much on this forum. So many of you speak with the tongue of angels. :)
I Wrote these expressions a while ago... wanted to share these before I take my little hiatus:

Joseph Smith said: if we do not understand the character of God we do not understand ourselves.

Seriously, what are mysteries or deeper truths explained --if we take lightly the character perfections, and attributes and personality of God? =

Gentleness, kindness, love, love unfeigned, forgiveness, temperance, long suffering, caring, building, service, strengthening, helping, humility, meekness, tolerance, goodness, patience, easily entreated, not puffed up, seeking not their own, rejoicing not an evil and iniquity bearing all things believing all things hoping for the things of God etc etc.

Faith proceeds the miracle and or SPIRITUAL MANIFESTATIONS, that is, the receiving of the oh- so-desired supernal gifts/blessings of the gospel.

Joesph Smith said: one cannot exercise true faith in God without an understanding of God's perfections,attributes, and character....

Read King Benjamin's sermon again. Was it his expounding on how to be "sealed up"/receiveing ones calling election made sure (mosiah 5: 15)--that wrought a mighty change in their hearts?

As you know, the answer is --No--

These were good people going to General Conference--they had their tents towards the temple. What was the difference for them this time? Did mosiah 2:9 prepare them to receive? The Commission to not TRIFLE with his words but to open their ears that they might hear --open their hearts that they might understand --and to open their minds so that the mysteries of God might be unfolded unto them?." Undoubtably yes, this disposition was a huge difference maker for them.

Also, important to note, the illuminating knowledge that King Benjamin was about to share was much (--more--than less) known knowledge to these folks,

Additionally, did they also have to be told (this time) that an angel told the Prophet/King this info for it to sink in as it should and did? Undoubtably yes-- it helped.

What a glorious general conference sermon they received. Service, perspective, beautiful morsels of Christ's life, ministry, and atonement. So much sweet foundational goodness found in this spectacular sermon--truths that others have derided as being "milk" yet, what did it mean to an open, humble, meek/teachable group of church going members?

Everything!

What an amazing profound impact it had on them...

It (the message) took!

They profoundly wanted in its entirety (this time) what they had been taught. They desired greatly to receive a remission of their sins to have the atonement of Jesus applied to them and to have their hearts purified. The result of hearing the "milk sermon" with an open heart and open ears and an open mind--this attitude right from the get go in their "sacrament meeting" to not trifle--yielded a bountiful out pouring of God's Spirit. They RECEIVED the Holy Spirit resulting in going from faithful member status to becoming actual Saints / changed through the "atonement of Christ.."

Yes, they were changed "creatures in Christ..."

They were spiritually born of God, having received a mighty change of heart.

They were granted a great peace of conscience--Resulting in a disposition to not do evil but to do good continually. They were being prepared rapid fire / much more effectively to receive their calling and elections.

Their Joy was manifested by the fruit of the tree of life that they were partaking of-- God's love truly was shedding itself abroad in their hearts.

The (wanted) "JOY of the Saints" that sunk deep into Enos's heart that he "hungered for" Was K.B.'s people's sweet and glorious reality at that moment.

Again,this new found state was a reflection of what they had learned about God's character personality and attributes-- resulting in these people understanding who they were who they should be and what they should with immovable determination strive for and maintain-- the table was beautifully set for the "meatier" parts of the gospel to not only be understood but gratefully and willingly be received.

There is a beautiful process to receiving light and knowledge and truth and the gifts of the gospel-- to usurp the process is to not receive. What an unbelievably spiritually off-the-charts blessing mosiah chapters 2 through 5 are! we would do well to read these chapters every single day or 3rd day (at least) moving forward with increased clarity and faith and hope until we likewise receive this freely given blessing of the rebirth receiving the mighty change of heart even the baptism by Fire.

As we pray to want Jesus in our life-- how our savior wants to manifest in our life-- and not get so caught up how this brother or that sister is doing it. He will find us for "he is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him." we will become his spiritual offspring / born again. Moving forward to receive the vital "greater portion of his word" Alma 12: 9, 10, 11 will not be bothersome. Let the good news of Mosiah 2-5 TAKE hold of you ---and advance with confidence in the Kingdom of God!