The Book of Mormon

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

The Book of Mormon

Post by diligently seeking »

...How should it be read and understood so that we do not treat lightly its content and suffer condemnation for doing such?

Let's please have discussion without finger pointing, for these scriptures apply to all of us no matter where we think we are at in our "arriving." All points of view welcome-- let's see if we can make this a city of Enoch thread without contention and jabbing :) I worked with this certain lady not to long ago who did not appreciate my work services. I'm a consultant at where I work, and for years and years she personally tried to make my life tough. I was super subtle with how I responded to her which the under currents of my approach were zingers... one day she was right back at her pot stirring ways with me and I felt to exercise great control and give her absolute charity in my response and reaction to her. I was filled with immediate peace and power from heaven and increased love of God in my heart etc. It wasn't that I didn't want to do my subttle little zingers back to her-- I simply chose to repress that and strive to be the better angel of my nature. Dang! the results were beautiful...
Put it to the test with this thread and watch our growth and understanding and strength through our forum community bless our lives :)

Ps you will know you're a amiss if you feel your heart being "stirred up with contention" when you start your writing. don't go any further or complete your thought if that's the case. Remember President Benson said the heart and core of pride is ENMITY which means hatred towards-- hostility to-- or being in a state of opposition to God or one of his kids. he said this is the power by which Satan chooses to rule over us. If you sense --enmity-- creeping in-- don't go any further. be prayerful. let's choose to allow the spirit to edify us all through our comments. In fact, I bear witness that if you choose the approach of being charitable in your response-- you will recognize the impressions of the spirit guide you. And I ask who does not want to be more discerning of when the spirit / the lords voice speaks to us? :)

D&C84:

49 And the whole world lieth in sin, and groaneth under darkness and under the bondage of sin.
50 And by this you may know they are under the bondage of sin, because they come not unto me.
51 For whoso cometh not unto me is under the bondage of sin.
52 And whoso receiveth not my voice is not acquainted with my voice, and is not of me.
53 And by this you may know the righteous from the wicked, and that the whole world groaneth under sin and darkness even now.
54 And your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief, and because you have treated lightly the things you have received
55 Which vanity and unbelief have brought the whole church under condemnation.
56 And this condemnation resteth upon the children of Zion, even all.
57 And they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do according to that which I have written

brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: The Book of Mormon

Post by brianj »

How should we read the Book of Mormon? I would suggest that we shouldn't consistently read the Book of Mormon.

Study the Book of Mormon. Search it. Come up with a question and research things in the Book of Mormon that relate to the question. When you do read from the Book of Mormon, look for a verse that stands out to you then re-read that verse a few times through the day and ponder what it means.

As far as how to interpret the book, let the Holy Spirit be your guide. I've read the Book of Mormon for 30 years now and still regularly find things I've never noticed before. I have heard people say that they will find a certain meaning in one verse that really helps at one point in their life, but at another time they will see the same verse and find a completely different (but not contradictory) meaning to that verse.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Are we unique among all Christian denominations (not counting LDS offshoots) in testifying that Jesus went somewhere else after His Ascension, just as John describes? In other words, are we the only ones who believe that Christ literally went to visit other followers, His other sheep?

The appearance of Christ among the Nephites is my favorite part of the Book of Mormon. The first thing he says after all have been able to receive a tangible testimony of his Godhood is join me -- get baptized. Then he says avoid contention. So I start hoping that maybe this time the Nephites will stay righteous and avoid pride. Never fails. They go renegade. I've read the book dozens of times and they always go renegade. They fight the Lamanites and they all die. There's a message in there. That's how I read the BoM. I look for messages for me.
Last edited by Silver on June 5th, 2017, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

JaredBees wrote: June 5th, 2017, 9:07 pm ...How should it be read and understood so that we do not treat lightly its content and suffer condemnation for doing such?
I have long felt that study of scriptures is one of the most misunderstood principles amongst the membership. I think Nephi gives us one clue that has helped my study the most which is to gain a knowledge of the Jews. Bruce R. McConkie seconds this observation. This is in essence learning how they study the stick of Judah and understand its meaning. Then once the methodology is in place we can use the stick of Ephraim and the restored gospel to moderate or balance out the errors of the Jews. But Jews really are the theological scientists of our time when it comes to understanding practice and technique.

However, I do feel that to whatever degree one really feasts, by cross referencing, connecting, topical study etc the Lord will bless those who sincerely and consistently apply themselves to a process.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Ok I will start it out.( actually looks like I'm not the first:) Anything less than living a Celestial law which allows us to be where God is -- I think we all agree is condemnation. Book of Mormon is so beautiful. It shows us so clearly how we can follow Jesus etc--' to one day be worthy to be where he is.. :) to that end etc It shows and explains How we can apply his atoning blood in our lives and become Saints. It teaches us what a sanctified through the merits mercy and Grace of Jesus-- HEART, looks like. We are told in the Book of Mormon that to obtain eternal life we must be born of God... It is explained to us that this puts us on the path that leads back to our father in Heaven. Beautiful language expressing this rebirth through such Expressions as "being illuminated By the Light of the Everlasting word" "receiving a mighty change of heart" becoming Christ's spiritual offspring" "becoming Sons and Daughters of Christ having his name written on her heart" "redeemed in the flesh" "having his image engravened Upon Our countenance" etc. We are taught that to be christ-like after this rebirth and also leading up to it comes more naturally if we desire the goodness of Jesus in our life. We are taught that the attributes of Jesus become infused into our life and they become more of our disposition rather than deliberately striving to put those saving characteristics and Perfections of God into our life. We are taught too, however, that there is a beautiful place in being deliberate and being steadfast and immovable and abounding in Good Works / perfecting ourselves in Christ. We are shown intimately through devote followers of messiah in the BofM what a Christ centered life looks like. We are especially blessed and benefited in this regard through learning of this glorified man through what he shared and demonstrated in the time he spent with them after his resurrection. What a blessing... Yes indeed changing in and through Jesus We are given hope in knowing that this is a rejoicing / desirous result of being infused with God's goodness. In other words, we want desperately to become new creatures in Jesus as his love begins to shed itself abroad in our heart. We are given so much optimism in knowing that we are not our sins-- we are not our natural man Tendencies, but we are Divine Sons and Daughters of God whom father has great gifts in store for us after we go through the trial of our faith. We realize and rejoice that we too like Nephi, if we are diligent in seeking truth that the Mysteries of God can be unfolded unto us through faith in Jesus and through the manifestations of the Holy Ghost. Amazingly like Nephi as we hunger and thirst after righteousness found within the Book of Mormon "our hearts begin to magnify His holy name" astonishingly we realize that God is no respecter of persons and that as our heart begins to be open because of our magnifying of Christ's name in it--we began to receive a greater portion of his word. The gifts of the Spirit aren't just text on pages to inform us but they become our living reality. Administering angels are heard and felt and seen. on occasion the spirit of Prophecy illuminates and springs forth from us. The gift of healing at times is manifested. The gift of wisdom and Discerning of spirits profits us greatly. Visions by day and by night are not kept from us etc. We rejoice in gaining a sure witness that the iron Rod the word of God truly does when we abide in the revelatory word of Jesus --protect us from the fiery darts of the adversary. We also realize like Nephi that opposition will still remain in our life even though we ascend. We take comfort like Nephi to strive not to slacken our strength because of our afflictions but to put our faith in the rock of our Salvation even Jesus Christ. We rejoice in knowing that we can joy in the journey even though we are afflicted at times in life and that we can receive the embrace of Christ love being wrapped in a Robes of his righteousness . Like Nephi and like Jacob we praise Christ as we grow in righteousness that he helps us to shake at the appearance of sin and to abhor all unrighteousness. We live daily to repent and to strive for purification and sanctification by denying ourselves of all ungodliness and applying his atoning blood. We realize and sigh a breath of relief that it is through the grace of Jesus that we move forward and are made perfect. This we know because on our own even if we give our best we are still "unprofitable servants". Again we Rejoice knowing that our wonderful Advocate and great mediator and anchor to our soul even the sure Foundation our KING our ALL not Only lends us breath that we might exist-- he fights our battles. He granIts us victory over sin death and this Fallen / satanic opposition heavy existence. Truly what is man that he might boast. We Praise His holy name and strive to be meek like he was and is. We realize that this beautiful attribute of meekness unlocks The Door of Faith and Hope and makes possible that we can be filled with his pure love and all those wonderful attributes that come along with that great endowment... We desperately yearn and desire to be like him. With each passing day we fervently pray and seek that he might consecrate all of our efforts for our gain. With with Wonder and amazement we find such satisfaction that our walk with God and man becomes more Peaceable. At times we find that in our prayers we sing the song of redeeming love because we do realize how our great Advocate our great Redeemer and his healing ways consumes our flesh with his love like our brother Nephi. We realize that we are nothing-- that we are the dust of the Earth but that's okay because we want nothing more than to be yoked with Jesus. We know the reality that he has come that we might have life and have it more abundantly. We praise him and give him all honor and Glory and desire for Christ to govern Our Lives. We take courage to petition the Lord with real intent and long fervency of prayer to receive the joy of the Saints that came through the preaching and receiving the promise of eternal life like Enis's Father Jacob taught him and which Enos yearned for and received through such steadfast petitioning. We likewise petition the Lord and rejoice and come forward with great belief that he desires to "seal us up" like Enos was. We additionaly take great courage and rejoice in being received by Jesus in this life being a "partaker of the Heavenly gift" through faith like moroni exhorted. we know and began to see in our lives that it is not the things / amount of $ we have in life that increases "living after the manner of happines" it is striving day by day to not be tethered to the flesh so that we may rend the veil of our unbelief and feel and experience we each passing day the savior increasingly enter in... Yes not only individualy do these blessings occur as fruit being born from this great book but if we are fortunate to read it with our families and spouse these (formentioned) M.G Romney promises too, began to be our realities within our families marriage : "I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity — the pure love of Christ — will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy and happiness." Marion G Romney. Yes indeed, through sincere study and application of The Book of Mormon we can stand on the rooftops and testify with bold exclamation that it is the most correct book of scripture on the earth and will help one to. Draw nearer to Jesus, like he desires for it to do, than any other book. We can through sincere study and hunger and thirsting after the goodness of Jesus found within its pages exclaim where I was once lost I am now found-- and when the time comes that I go to my rest that I will be with the father and his son to become a joint Heir and inheritor of all that he hath and to move forward *me and mine* with the glory that comes with eternal increase... We take comfort and ever strive to not let our guard down and repent quickly when we have moments where we may falter so that we can continue to grow in Jesus because of what we have been gifted through the Book of Mormon. We can day to day rejoice knowing that we did not take lightly it's Christ infused and Christ enabling content that we were and are beneficiaries of its intended purposes. Even the passing of this Mortal probation period and advancing in the Life to Come as a result of this great (second estate ) road map- GIFT back to the Father's presence.

We ever praise the holy name Yeshua for this book / great tender mercy.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

Those are definitely all of the fruits of the Book of Mormon! I know there are different ways to study it but last year had someone in mind that I wanted to give the Book of Mormon to that I highly respected but that was not LDS and that I didn't know. I knew if I just sent a book off with my testimony, it would not be read but my great desire was that he read it.
I purchased a leather triple combination and decided to read it from cover to cover and mark it as if I were studying scriptures. I started out trying to mark what I thought he might find important but soon discovered that that was impossible. There were certain topics that I knew he was interested in and kept a record of verses on those topics.
The second time I read it through, I kept a record of all the great sermons so that I could at least point him to those, worried he wouldn't read the whole thing. The problem was that there were so many great chapters and sermons but they meant less without context and so in the end I was unable to recommend a list for fear he would only read the list.
Because I became attached to that particular set of scripture I read it a third time even though the spirit of that project had left, which for me is a sure sign that the preparation has ended and it is now time to act. I finally sent it off with a letter explaining my desire for him to have this source of light and my efforts to mark it up for him.
Even though I was just reading straight through, because I was marking it for someone else who never has heard these truths, it was even more potent and amazing than it usually is. I was reading it with new eyes. He responded to my letter by email and stated that he would read it. A whole year of preparation paid off and I hope that he really reads it bc it truly is the book of books.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Thanks so much every one for what you shared! Beautiful thoughts / convictions...

"Except for the Bible, the Book of Mormon is different from any book you have read. It is not a novel. It is not fiction. For the most part, it is not difficult to read. However, like all books of profound value, it is not casual reading. But if you persist, I assure you that it will be the most rewarding book you have ever set your mind to read. The Book of Mormon is not biographical, for not one character is fully drawn. Nor, in a strict sense, is it a history. It is the saga of a message."

Boyd K. Packer

That message being how one receives Christ (rebirth and then calling and election) and being received (second comforter) by Christ. (And SO many beautiful things before and inbetween the obtaining of these paramount messages...)

Some helpful messages of motivation and inspiration I have found helpful for ME:

2nephi 28
30 For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have.

Alma 12:

And now Alma began to expound these things unto him, saying: It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him.

10 And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.

1nephi 10:

17 And it came to pass after I, Nephi, having heard all the words of my father, concerning the things which he saw in a vision, and also the things which he spake by the power of the Holy Ghost, which power he received by faith on the Son of God—and the Son of God was the Messiah who should come—I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost, which is the gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him, as well in times of old as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men.

18 For he is the same yesterday, today, and forever; and the way is prepared for all men from the foundation of the world, if it so be that they repent and come unto him.

19 For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the course of the Lord is one eternal round.

Alma 37:

32 And now, my son, remember the words which I have spoken unto you; trust not those secret plans unto this people, but teach them an everlasting hatred against sin and iniquity.

33 Preach unto them repentance, and faith on the Lord Jesus Christ; teach them to humble themselves and to be meek and lowly in heart; teach them to withstand every temptation of the devil, with their faith on the Lord Jesus Christ.

34 Teach them to never be weary of good works, but to be meek and lowly in heart; for such shall find rest to their souls.

35 O, remember, my son, and learn wisdom in thy youth; yea, learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God.

36 Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.

37 Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

38 And now, my son, I have somewhat to say concerning the thing which our fathers call a ball, or director—or our fathers called it Liahona, which is, being interpreted, a compass; and the Lord prepared it.

39 And behold, there cannot any man work after the manner of so curious a workmanship. And behold, it was prepared to show unto our fathers the course which they should travel in the wilderness.

40 And it did work for them according to their faith in God; therefore, if they had faith to believe that God could cause that those spindles should point the way they should go, behold, it was done; therefore they had this miracle, and also many other miracles wrought by the power of God, day by day.

41 Nevertheless, because those miracles were worked by small means it did show unto them marvelous works. They were slothful, and forgot to exercise their faith and diligence and then those marvelous works ceased, and they did not progress in their journey;

42 Therefore, they tarried in the wilderness, or did not travel a direct course, and were afflicted with hunger and thirst, because of their transgressions.

43 And now, my son, I would that ye should understand that these things are not without a shadow; for as our fathers were slothful to give heed to this compass (now these things were temporal) they did not prosper; even so it is with things which are spiritual.

44 For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss, as it was for our fathers to give heed to this compass, which would point unto them a straight course to the promised land.

45 And now I say, is there not a type in this thing? For just as surely as this director did bring our fathers, by following its course, to the promised land, shall the words of Christ, if we follow their course, carry us beyond this vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise.

46 O my son, do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way; for so was it with our fathers; for so was it prepared for them, that if they would look they might live; even so it is with us. The way is prepared, and if we will look we may live forever.

47 And now, my son, see that ye take care of these sacred things, yea, see that ye look to God and live. Go unto this people and declare the word, and be sober. My son, farewell.

Ether 12:

And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.

7 For it was by faith that Christ showed himself unto our fathers, after he had risen from the dead; and he showed not himself unto them until after they had faith in him; wherefore, it must needs be that some had faith in him, for he showed himself not unto the world.

8 But because of the faith of men he has shown himself unto the world, and glorified the name of the Father, and prepared a way that thereby others might be partakers of the heavenly gift, that they might hope for those things which they have not seen.

9 Wherefore, ye may also have hope, and be partakers of the gift, if ye will but have faith...

38 ...And now I, Moroni, bid farewell unto the Gentiles, yea, and also unto my brethren whom I love, until we shall meet before the judgment-seat of Christ, where all men shall know that my garments are not spotted with your blood.

39 And then shall ye know that I have seen Jesus, and that he hath talked with me face to face, and that he told me in plain humility, even as a man telleth another in mine own language, concerning these things;

40 And only a few have I written, because of my weakness in writing.

41 And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the grace of God the Father, and also the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever. Amen.

Moroni 10:
Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.
33 And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Silver wrote: June 5th, 2017, 10:13 pm Are we unique among all Christian denominations (not counting LDS offshoots) in testifying that Jesus went somewhere else after His Ascension, just as John describes? In other words, are we the only ones who believe that Christ literally went to visit other followers, His other sheep?

The appearance of Christ among the Nephites is my favorite part of the Book of Mormon. The first thing he says after all have been able to receive a tangible testimony of his Godhood is join me -- get baptized. Then he says avoid contention. So I start hoping that maybe this time the Nephites will stay righteous and avoid pride. Never fails. They go renegade. I've read the book dozens of times and they always go renegade. They fight the Lamanites and they all die. There's a message in there. That's how I read the BoM. I look for messages for me.
I have never come across anything from other religions teaching that Jesus visited people beyond Israel.

I don't think I could name a favorite part of the Book of Mormon, but I love 3 Nephi and 4 Nephi. It's impressive to see how quickly people go from faithful to faithless then how long they were faithful after the big visit.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

brianj wrote: June 7th, 2017, 6:11 pm
Silver wrote: June 5th, 2017, 10:13 pm Are we unique among all Christian denominations (not counting LDS offshoots) in testifying that Jesus went somewhere else after His Ascension, just as John describes? In other words, are we the only ones who believe that Christ literally went to visit other followers, His other sheep?

I have never come across anything from other religions teaching that Jesus visited people beyond Israel.

I don't think I could name a favorite part of the Book of Mormon, but I love 3 Nephi and 4 Nephi. It's impressive to see how quickly people go from faithful to faithless then how long they were faithful after the big visit.

I love it! Thanks for sharing. Such joyus cause and affect...

4 nephi
And it came to pass that the thirty and fourth year passed away, and also the thirty and fifth, and behold the disciples of Jesus had formed a church of Christ in all the lands round about. And as many as did come unto them, and did truly repent of their sins, were baptized in the name of Jesus; and they did also receive the Holy Ghost.

2 And it came to pass in the thirty and sixth year, the people were all converted unto the Lord, upon all the face of the land, both Nephites and Lamanites, and there were no contentions and disputations among them, and every man did deal justly one with another.

3 And they had all things common among them; therefore there were not rich and poor, bond and free, but they were all made free, *and partakers of the heavenly gift*.(the second comforter)

4 And it came to pass that the thirty and seventh year passed away also, and there still continued to be peace in the land.

5 And there were great and marvelous works wrought by the disciples of Jesus, insomuch that they did heal the sick, and raise the dead, and cause the lame to walk, and the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear; and all manner of miracles did they work among the children of men; and in nothing did they work miracles save it were in the name of Jesus.
6 And thus did the thirty and eighth year pass away, and also the thirty and ninth, and forty and first, and the forty and second, yea, even until forty and nine years had passed away, and also the fifty and first, and the fifty and second; yea, and even until fifty and nine years had passed away.
7 And the Lord did prosper them exceedingly in the land; yea, insomuch that they did build cities again where there had been cities burned.
8 Yea, even that great city Zarahemla did they cause to be built again.
9 But there were many cities which had been sunk, and waters came up in the stead thereof; therefore these cities could not be renewed.
10 And now, behold, it came to pass that the people of Nephi did wax strong, and did multiply exceedingly fast, and became an exceedingly fair and delightsome people.
11 And they were married, and given in marriage, and were blessed according to the multitude of the promises which the Lord had made unto them.
12 And they did not walk any more after the performances and ordinances of the law of Moses; but they did walk after the commandments which they had received from their Lord and their God, continuing in fasting and prayer, and in meeting together oft both to pray and to hear the word of the Lord.
13 And it came to pass that there was no contention among all the people, in all the land; but there were mighty miracles wrought among the disciples of Jesus.
14 And it came to pass that the seventy and first year passed away, and also the seventy and second year, yea, and in fine, till the seventy and ninth year had passed away; yea, even an hundred years had passed away, and the disciples of Jesus, whom he had chosen, had all gone to the paradise of God, save it were the three who should tarry; and there were other disciples ordained in their stead; and also many of that generation had passed away.
15 And it came to pass that there was no contention in the land, because of the love of God which did dwell in the hearts of the people.
16 And there were no envyings, nor strifes, nor tumults, nor whoredoms, nor lyings, nor murders, nor any manner of lasciviousness; and surely there could not be a happier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God.

Hebrew's 6:

That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,
14 Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee.
15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.
16 For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.
17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:
18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

brianj wrote: June 5th, 2017, 10:01 pm How should we read the Book of Mormon? I would suggest that we shouldn't consistently read the Book of Mormon.

Study the Book of Mormon. Search it. Come up with a question and research things in the Book of Mormon that relate to the question. When you do read from the Book of Mormon, look for a verse that stands out to you then re-read that verse a few times through the day and ponder what it means.

As far as how to interpret the book, let the Holy Spirit be your guide. I've read the Book of Mormon for 30 years now and still regularly find things I've never noticed before. I have heard people say that they will find a certain meaning in one verse that really helps at one point in their life, but at another time they will see the same verse and find a completely different (but not contradictory) meaning to that verse.
Great suggestions. I also learned to watch for "stupor of thoughts," places where I realized my eyes were glazing over and I wasn't comprehending what I was reading. Any time I noticed that, I would stop and go back and reread what I'd just read slowly, pinpointing the place where my mind went blank. Then I would focus on that part until I understood what I was reading.

I don't do this anymore, but for a period of time at the end of every scripture study, after I'd gone in-depth pondering and praying about what I'd read, I'd ask: how does this apply to me? I would pray and ask the question and then look back on my notes and allow the Spirit to open my mind. I would receive an understanding of how it applied to me every single time. Seriously, even scriptures about random things like the lost ten tribes would apply to my life somehow. It was awesome.

I don't do it anymore because it's just become second nature to recognize the ways the scriptures apply to me. Now I ask, not too seriously, how does this not apply to me.