Test Everything

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Test Everything

Post by SJR3t2 »

John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Test Everything

Post by Thinker »

SJR3t2 wrote: June 3rd, 2017, 6:56 pm John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
Great scripture! It was one of about 10 that I chose to include in little gifts.
The idea of not being too quick to believe, but testing things is very important and often overlooked.
It goes along with the FIRST of the very basic (lower) laws Moses gave: "Thou shalt have no other gods before God."
It's so tempting to worship others besides God. In fact, I can't really say of many people I know who don't regularly fall for that temptation.

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

When I receive impressions, inspirations, and revelations I test them also, as I believe God wants us to.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

SJR3t2 wrote: June 5th, 2017, 4:32 pm When I receive impressions, inspirations, and revelations I test them also, as I believe God wants us to.
How do you test them? What techniques are used?

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

A big one is the scriptures

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

brlenox wrote: June 5th, 2017, 10:55 pm
SJR3t2 wrote: June 5th, 2017, 4:32 pm When I receive impressions, inspirations, and revelations I test them also, as I believe God wants us to.
Good question. I suppose many possible answers could apply...

-Study it out (research)
-Ponder (think about it - I mean really take time to think)
-Pray - ask and listen

-Consider past experiences - including spiritual and practical
-Develop & nurture good self-awareness so you can distinguish between spiritual guidance & emotion (fear, desire etc)
-Consider consequences if you were to pursue something- try to look at the big picture and as many possibilities as you can, to see things in the best way & to act according.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Pray for the gift of discernment, with a true ability to discern there is no need to go through steps to test everything. What you receive instead is a nice confirmation.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

brlenox wrote: June 5th, 2017, 10:55 pm
Scientific method is one. Image