What is "The Wall?"

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Alaris
Captain of 144,000

What is "The Wall?"

Post by Alaris »

D&C 121:10 Thou art not yet as Job; thy friends do not contend against thee, neither charge thee with transgression, as they did Job.
11 And they who do charge thee with transgression, their hope shall be blasted, and their prospects shall melt away as the hoar frost melteth before the burning rays of the rising sun;
12 And also that God hath set his hand and seal to change the times and seasons, and to blind their minds, that they may not understand his marvelous workings; that he may prove them also and take them in their own craftiness;
13 Also because their hearts are corrupted, and the things which they are willing to bring upon others, and love to have others suffer, may come upon themselves to the very uttermost;
14 That they may be disappointed also, and their hopes may be cut off;
15 And not many years hence, that they and their posterity shall be swept from under heaven, saith God, that not one of them is left to stand by the wall.
16 Cursed are all those that shall lift up the heel against mine anointed, saith the Lord, and cry they have sinned when they have not sinned before me, saith the Lord, but have done that which was meet in mine eyes, and which I commanded them.
17 But those who cry transgression do it because they are the servants of sin, and are the children of disobedience themselves.
18 And those who swear falsely against my servants, that they might bring them into bondage and death
19 Wo unto them; because they have offended my little ones they shall be severed from the ordinances of mine house.
20 Their basket shall not be full, their houses and their barns shall perish, and they themselves shall be despised by those that flattered them.
21 They shall not have right to the priesthood, nor their posterity after them from generation to generation.
22 It had been better for them that a millstone had been hanged about their necks, and they drowned in the depth of the sea.
23 Wo unto all those that discomfort my people, and drive, and murder, and testify against them, saith the Lord of Hosts; a generation of vipers shall not escape the damnation of hell.
24 Behold, mine eyes see and know all their works, and I have in reserve a swift judgment in the season thereof, for them all;
25 For there is a time appointed for every man, according as his works shall be.

I posted hopefully enough verses around for plenty of context. What oh what is the wall?

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Re: What is "The Wall?"

Post by Alaris »

alaris wrote: May 27th, 2017, 5:00 pm
D&C 121:10 Thou art not yet as Job; thy friends do not contend against thee, neither charge thee with transgression, as they did Job.
11 And they who do charge thee with transgression, their hope shall be blasted, and their prospects shall melt away as the hoar frost melteth before the burning rays of the rising sun;
12 And also that God hath set his hand and seal to change the times and seasons, and to blind their minds, that they may not understand his marvelous workings; that he may prove them also and take them in their own craftiness;
13 Also because their hearts are corrupted, and the things which they are willing to bring upon others, and love to have others suffer, may come upon themselves to the very uttermost;
14 That they may be disappointed also, and their hopes may be cut off;
15 And not many years hence, that they and their posterity shall be swept from under heaven, saith God, that not one of them is left to stand by the wall.
16 Cursed are all those that shall lift up the heel against mine anointed, saith the Lord, and cry they have sinned when they have not sinned before me, saith the Lord, but have done that which was meet in mine eyes, and which I commanded them.
17 But those who cry transgression do it because they are the servants of sin, and are the children of disobedience themselves.
18 And those who swear falsely against my servants, that they might bring them into bondage and death
19 Wo unto them; because they have offended my little ones they shall be severed from the ordinances of mine house.
20 Their basket shall not be full, their houses and their barns shall perish, and they themselves shall be despised by those that flattered them.
21 They shall not have right to the priesthood, nor their posterity after them from generation to generation.
22 It had been better for them that a millstone had been hanged about their necks, and they drowned in the depth of the sea.
23 Wo unto all those that discomfort my people, and drive, and murder, and testify against them, saith the Lord of Hosts; a generation of vipers shall not escape the damnation of hell.
24 Behold, mine eyes see and know all their works, and I have in reserve a swift judgment in the season thereof, for them all;
25 For there is a time appointed for every man, according as his works shall be.

So I have been praying and meditating on this scripture to hopefully decipher what is meant by "the wall." As I mediated - What is a wall? It separates two areas. Veruse 15 - "that not one of them is left to stand by the wall." Who stands by the wall?

My mind next went to the western wall or the wailing wall and the image in my head then shifted to show the jews on the western side of the wall - facing east. Rather than the temple on the other side (as shown below) I saw the Lord in my mind's eye. How ironic that the Jews that go the western wall are all facing east when they pray! In their minds they are facing the temple, the holy of holies ... yet the symbolism is so much richer and so much deeper! They are the Lord's people and have been cut off from His presence - from the knowledge of Him for millennia.

1 Nephi 19: 13 And as for those who are at Jerusalem, saith the prophet, they shall be scourged by all people, because they crucify the God of Israel, and turn their hearts aside, rejecting signs and wonders, and the power and glory of the God of Israel.
14 And because they turn their hearts aside, saith the prophet, and have despised the Holy One of Israel, they shall wander in the flesh, and perish, and become a hiss and a byword, and be hated among all nations.
15 Nevertheless, when that day cometh, saith the prophet, that they no more turn aside their hearts against the Holy One of Israel, then will he remember the covenants which he made to their fathers.
16 Yea, then will he remember the isles of the sea; yea, and all the people who are of the house of Israel, will I gather in, saith the Lord, according to the words of the prophet Zenos, from the four quarters of the earth.

So here is what I am thinking the analogy of "that not one of them is left to stand by the wall" may mean. Those who are standing by the wall may literally mean the Jews who stand at the western wall - the closest wall to the temple - The Lord's people who rejected and crucified their God - yet who will eventually be reunited with their Lord and return to a knowledge of Him:

1 Nephi 10:14 And after the house of Israel should be scattered they should be gathered together again; or, in fine, after the Gentiles had received the fulness of the Gospel, the natural branches of the olive tree, or the remnants of the house of Israel, should be grafted in, or come to the knowledge of the true Messiah, their Lord and their Redeemer.

After months in Liberty Jail, Joseph Smith received this revelation - a good portion of which (the verses at the beginning of this post) seem to be referring to the Lord's judgments and punishments upon the enemies of the church. They shall be severed from the ordinances of the Temple, shall have no rights to the Priesthood, and shall not be left to stand by the wall. Perhaps that last bit means that they are so cursed, that even the house of Judah that has been cursed (1 Nephi 19) is standing by the wall ... waiting (unknowingly) to be returned to the Lord ... so these enemies of the church, perhaps in similar fashion, are waiting by a wall of separation - both in knowledge and proximity - between themselves and the Lord. This curse that is set upon them removes them from the wall so that they will not even have the hope of a return to a knowledge of the Lord, or his blessings, or His Priesthood once that wall comes down.

You can cleary see the western wall is the closest wall to the temple and the jews who stand here facing the temple are indeed facing east - separated from the Lord's house (presence) by a wall. !