The Nature of Hypocrisy

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Yod
captain of 100

The Nature of Hypocrisy

Post by Yod »

The faith of Jesus Christ may be boiled down to one short sentence: keep the commandments of God. No man is a true follower of Jesus Christ unless he actually does keep the commandments of Jesus Christ as far as he understands them.

The nature of hypocrisy is to act in front of other people as though one is a follower of Jesus Christ while not believing his words and not doing what he commands.

A hypocrite, therefore, is both a fool and a liar. He is a fool because what he does not believe - the words of Jesus Christ - happen to be true, thus he has been fooled, or, in other words, sold on a lie. He is a liar because he says he believes in what he does not, in fact, believe in, as can be seen by the heavens in his disobedience to the commandments of Jesus Christ: they do not believe in him. The LORD God cannot be deceived, remember? He will not open the gate for just anyone who is baptized, but for those who are baptized and repent of all their sins, obeying all his commandments. Those are they who shall be visited with fire and with the Holy Ghost and receive a remission of their sins, and be born again to see the kingdom of God.

It is hard to recognize hypocrisy in oneself, because such have already rationalized themselves into disbelieving the commandments of God, and probably think also the scriptures are substantially false wherever they contradict the modern scientific consensus, using words like "metaphor," "figurative," "allegory," "parable," and so on, to cover their disbelief, because one must appear to "believe" before men what one does not, in fact, believe. That's the point of hypocrisy - looking good, righteous, upright to other people. A hypocrite thinks / feels there is no way any rational person can take those things seriously and literally; the world just doesn't work that way; it's all myth and fable; the "real" world of economics is the one that matters.

Nevertheless, if one has merely the desire to believe, even if one does not believe, let that desire work in you until you can at least give a whole-hearted attempt at doing what Jesus said to do, understanding his words as straightforwardly and as literally as a little child would understand his father's words. See what happens if you do this. The Lord has promised: "My doctrine [teachings, sayings, commandments] is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will [the Sermon on the Mount], he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."

Why not put the Lord to the test?
Last edited by Yod on May 26th, 2017, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Re: The Nature of Hypocrisy

Post by eddie »

People are very inclined to set moral standards for others.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Yes, eddie, people are very inclined to set moral standards for others; which makes sense, of course, since people want behavioral predictability and (minimally) the prevention of harm from others, which is the point of setting moral standards.

The moral standards that matter, of course, are God's, if one wishes to dwell with him eternally. He actually solved this problem, and his solution is his law and commandments.

If you do not wish to dwell with him eternally, find another set of moral standards you like better, gather with those who agree with you, and see where you end up.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

It seems that happiness and joy elude the hypocrite.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Indeed, for their conscience smites them.
I love that man better who swears [cusses] a stream as long as my arm yet deals justice to his neighbors and mercifully deals his substance to the poor, than the long, smooth-faced hypocrite. - Joseph Smith

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

I love that man better who swears [cusses] a stream as long as my arm yet deals justice to his neighbors and mercifully deals his substance to the poor, than the long, smooth-faced hypocrite. - Joseph Smith
Me too.

-Finrock

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Yod wrote: May 26th, 2017, 10:33 am The faith of Jesus Christ may be boiled down to one short sentence: keep the commandments of God. No man is a true follower of Jesus Christ unless he actually does keep the commandments of Jesus Christ as far as he understands them.
Once again I'm going to have to disagree with you. Keeping the commandments is important, but why we keep those commandments is even more important. A more accurate sentence would be:
Keep the commandments of God because you love Him.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

brianj wrote: May 26th, 2017, 10:33 pm
Yod wrote: May 26th, 2017, 10:33 am The faith of Jesus Christ may be boiled down to one short sentence: keep the commandments of God. No man is a true follower of Jesus Christ unless he actually does keep the commandments of Jesus Christ as far as he understands them.
Once again I'm going to have to disagree with you. Keeping the commandments is important, but why we keep those commandments is even more important. A more accurate sentence would be:
Ecclesiastes 12:13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
The Lord Jesus Christ says those who possess, and do, his commandments are those who love him (John 14:21, 23), and those who do not do his commandments are those who do not love him (John 14:24).

The Lord commanded his disciples to teach men to keep all his commandments (Matthew 28:19-20), and did not say "teach them not to keep my commandments unless they love me."
JST Matt 5:21 Whosoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments and shall teach men so to do, he shall in no wise be saved in the kingdom of heaven; but whosoever shall do and teach these commandments of the law until it be fulfilled, thesame shall be called great and shall be saved in the kingdom of heaven.
The function of the priesthood is to teach the commandments (Alma 13).

Therefore I would caution you against teaching men to not do what the Lord commands, and against adding conditions to the keeping of the Lord's commandments.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Yod wrote: May 26th, 2017, 10:40 pm
The Lord Jesus Christ says those who possess, and do, his commandments are those who love him (John 14:21, 23), and those who do not do his commandments are those who do not love him (John 14:24).
Yet the Lord chastised Jews for focusing their attention on the commandments and not the reason for the commandments.
The Lord commanded his disciples to teach men to keep all his commandments (Matthew 28:19-20), and did not say "teach them not to keep my commandments unless they love me."
I have seen many people develop testimonies and develop a love for Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ after keeping the commandments, but I have also observed that a great many people who don't have a testimony and don't keep the commandments out of love do fall away.

If all that mattered was keeping the commandments, with no consideration for why the commandments are to be kept, why did an angel visit Adam and Eve to explain why they were commanded to offer sacrifice and then told to do what they do in the name of the Son? (Moses 5:5-8)

Finally, DON'T TWIST MY WORDS. I said that why we keep the commandments is more important than keeping those commandments. How in the world do you twist that statement into your allegation that I am telling people to not keep commandments unless they love God? I will give you compliments for your straw man fallacy. (Straw man fallacy: giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent)

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

brianj wrote: May 26th, 2017, 11:39 pm
Yet the Lord chastised Jews for focusing their attention on the commandments and not the reason for the commandments.
He chastised them for not keeping the commandments of God, and also for teaching their own traditions (the traditions of the Elders) in the place of the commandments, the effect of which was to negate the commandments of God. That is why he issues the warning in JST Matthew 5:21-22 which all had ought to heed if they desire eternal life. In other words, his complaint against the Pharisees and scribes was much the same as Abinadi's complaint against the priests of Noah: they neither taught nor kept the commandments. And that was why the Pharisees and scribes followed him and his disciples around, finding fault, accusing, trying to show Jesus himself didn't keep the commandments - they were trying to prove he was a hypocrite, like unto themselves.

As an aside, when the wicked priests of Noah went running to the Lamanites, they did not teach the Lamanites the commandments of God, but instead taught them the value of a worldly education for the purpose of engaging in economics.
I have seen many people develop testimonies and develop a love for Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ after keeping the commandments, but I have also observed that a great many people who don't have a testimony and don't keep the commandments out of love do fall away.
Art thou a judge over their hearts? How knowest thou of their love, or lack thereof? How knowest thou they departed from the Lord Jesus Christ and his Father?
If all that mattered was keeping the commandments, with no consideration for why the commandments are to be kept, why did an angel visit Adam and Eve to explain why they were commanded to offer sacrifice and then told to do what they do in the name of the Son? (Moses 5:5-8)
It is of interest that the explanation came after Adam kept the commandments for years without explanation. It seems all that mattered was keeping the commandments, with no consideration for why the commandments were to be kept, and only afterward came the explanation of their purpose.
Finally, DON'T TWIST MY WORDS.
I haven't.
I said that why we keep the commandments is more important than keeping those commandments.
You have indeed said that.

And the Lord says those who have, and keep, his commandments are those who love him; we do not add to, nor subtract from, the Lord's commandments, nor do we add conditions to their observance in the manner of the Pharisees and scribes, hypocrites. Your response to my scriptural observation (Ecclesiastes 12:13) that the faith of Christ can be reduced to "keep the commandments of God" was that it was more accurate to say "keep the commandments of God because you love him." Your claim that our feelings or motivations are more important than what we do with regards to the keeping of the commandments is contrary to the word of God.

We love the Lord Jesus Christ if, and only if, we keep his commandments (John 14:23-34). It is that simple, and that is scriptural. Our sole duty is to fear God and keep his commandments (Ecclesiastes 12:13).
How in the world do you twist that statement into your allegation that I am telling people to not keep commandments unless they love God?
Is that what I said? I think I said something else.
I will give you compliments for your straw man fallacy. (Straw man fallacy: giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent)
I'm warning you against adding to or subtracting from the commandments of God, and against adding conditions to their observation, and you think we are disputing or contending, which is forbidden by the Lord? It seems we have different purposes in this interaction, according to your own admission.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Yod wrote:I'm warning you against adding to or subtracting from the commandments of God, and against adding conditions to their observation, and you think we are disputing or contending, which is forbidden by the Lord? It seems we have different purposes in this interaction, according to your own admission.
Yod,

As a matter of fact, you are disputing with brianj in your exchange of words.

A disputation:
brianj wrote:Finally, DON'T TWIST MY WORDS.
Yod wrote:I haven't.
Brianj said that you twisted his words. You said that you did not. By definition, you disputed with brianj.

Another disputation:
brianj wrote:How in the world do you twist that statement into your allegation that I am telling people to not keep commandments unless they love God?
Yod wrote:Is that what I did? I think I said something else.
Same thing here. Brianj said X, you disagreed with X. As a matter of fact, by definition, you are disputing with brianj.

-Finrock

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Finrock wrote: May 27th, 2017, 12:24 am
Yod wrote:I'm warning you against adding to or subtracting from the commandments of God, and against adding conditions to their observation, and you think we are disputing or contending, which is forbidden by the Lord? It seems we have different purposes in this interaction, according to your own admission.
Yod,

A disputation:
Brianj said that you twisted his words. You said that you did not. By definition, you disputed with brianj.
From my end, I'm clarifying obvious errors.
Another disputation:
brianj wrote:How in the world do you twist that statement into your allegation that I am telling people to not keep commandments unless they love God?
Same thing here. Brianj said X, you disagreed with X. As a matter of fact, by definition, you are disputing with brianj.
In point of fact, I am once again clarifying obvious errors.

I am, in other words, informing you, and him, of the truth. If after I have stated this you wish to contend or dispute with the truth, then I have nothing more to say to either of you, for it is then clear you are not in error, but in opposition.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Yod wrote: May 27th, 2017, 12:31 am
Finrock wrote: May 27th, 2017, 12:24 am
Yod,

A disputation:
From my end, I'm clarifying obvious errors.
Another disputation:
In point of fact, I am once again clarifying obvious errors.

I am, in other words, informing you, and him, of the truth. If after I have stated this you wish to contend or dispute with the truth, then I have nothing more to say to either of you, for it is then clear you are not in error, but in opposition.
I'm sorry, Yod, I have no intention of opposing you. But, the definition of dispute, is to disagree. You did in fact disagree with brianj, thus entering in to a dispute. I don't think this makes you wrong or bad, it just means that you are disputing even though you said that you are not.

It is important to be consistent.

-Finrock

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

The definition of dispute (verb) that I just checked, both in a modern dictionary, as well as in Webster's 1828, is not "to disagree." In saying this I am once again clarifying an obvious error.

I think it is important to be consistent as well. What did the Lord say about mote-hunting, Finrock?

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Yod wrote: May 27th, 2017, 12:39 am The definition of dispute (verb) that I just checked, both in a modern dictionary, as well as in Webster's 1828, is not "to disagree." In saying this I am once again clarifying an obvious error.

I think it is important to be consistent as well. What did the Lord say about mote-hunting, Finrock?
Is that what you think I'm doing, is mote-hunting?

Again, as a matter of fact, by any definition, you are disputing and contending. You are making arguments and presenting your position and why you are correct in your view. As a matter of fact, you are disagreeing with others and you presented as evidence why you are not disputing.

-Finrock

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

I see.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Yod wrote: May 27th, 2017, 1:01 amI see.
Are you dropping your accusation against me?

-Finrock

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

I made no accusation. And I leave you to yourself.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Yod wrote: May 27th, 2017, 1:05 am I made no accusation. And I leave you to yourself.
Okay.

-Finrock

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

And, for the record, I'm consistently a hypocrite, despite my best efforts not to be. :))

-Finrock

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Yod wrote: May 26th, 2017, 11:52 pm
brianj wrote: May 26th, 2017, 11:39 pm

He chastised them for not keeping the commandments of God, and also for teaching their own traditions (the traditions of the Elders) in the place of the commandments, the effect of which was to negate the commandments of God. That is why he issues the warning in JST Matthew 5:21-22 which all had ought to heed if they desire eternal life. In other words, his complaint against the Pharisees and scribes was much the same as Abinadi's complaint against the priests of Noah: they neither taught nor kept the commandments. And that was why the Pharisees and scribes followed him and his disciples around, finding fault, accusing, trying to show Jesus himself didn't keep the commandments - they were trying to prove he was a hypocrite, like unto themselves.

As an aside, when the wicked priests of Noah went running to the Lamanites, they did not teach the Lamanites the commandments of God, but instead taught them the value of a worldly education for the purpose of engaging in economics.
I believe that a detailed review of the New Testament, as well as other documentation about Judaism at the time, will show that there was a lot more than following incorrect traditions in place of keeping the commandments.
Art thou a judge over their hearts? How knowest thou of their love, or lack thereof? How knowest thou they departed from the Lord Jesus Christ and his Father?
How can I know their hearts? See Matt 7:20.
-
It is of interest that the explanation came after Adam kept the commandments for years without explanation. It seems all that mattered was keeping the commandments, with no consideration for why the commandments were to be kept, and only afterward came the explanation of their purpose.
Where did Adam get that commandment from? When Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden they had face to face conversations with the Father and the Son. After they were expelled from the Garden they heard the voice of the Lord speaking to them from the way toward the Garden. (Moses 5:5-6) Adam did not come from the position that we start in, the position of wanting to know if the gospel and scriptures are true and praying with little more than a hope that they are true. Adam started from the position of first hand conversation with the Lord. Using the teachings of Alma to the Zormites in Alma 32, we can conclude that since Adam had a perfect knowledge of God's existence (from those first hand conversations) and therefore Adam's faith in the existence of God was dormant. Adam [a]already loved the Lord[/a] when he was given the commandment to sacrifice.
Finally, DON'T TWIST MY WORDS.
I haven't.
I said that why we keep the commandments is more important than keeping those commandments.
You have indeed said that.

And the Lord says those who have, and keep, his commandments are those who love him; we do not add to, nor subtract from, the Lord's commandments, nor do we add conditions to their observance in the manner of the Pharisees and scribes, hypocrites. Your response to my scriptural observation (Ecclesiastes 12:13) that the faith of Christ can be reduced to "keep the commandments of God" was that it was more accurate to say "keep the commandments of God because you love him." Your claim that our feelings or motivations are more important than what we do with regards to the keeping of the commandments is contrary to the word of God.

We love the Lord Jesus Christ if, and only if, we keep his commandments (John 14:23-34). It is that simple, and that is scriptural. Our sole duty is to fear God and keep his commandments (Ecclesiastes 12:13).
We also have a warning in the scriptures against wolves among us. People who, at least for a time, keep the commandments while positioning themselves to lead us astray. Are these people who hate the Lord, suddenly love Him as they keep the commandments and position themselves to lead us astray, then continue to love the Lord because they keep many commandments as they actively try to lead us astray?
How in the world do you twist that statement into your allegation that I am telling people to not keep commandments unless they love God?
Is that what I said? I think I said something else.
What you said was:
Therefore I would caution you against teaching men to not do what the Lord commands, and against adding conditions to the keeping of the Lord's commandments.
Your caution clearly insinuates an allegation that I am telling people not to keep the commandments unless they love God, a false insinuation.
I will give you compliments for your straw man fallacy. (Straw man fallacy: giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent)
I'm warning you against adding to or subtracting from the commandments of God, and against adding conditions to their observation, and you think we are disputing or contending, which is forbidden by the Lord? It seems we have different purposes in this interaction, according to your own admission.
Someone else has already explained what it means to dispute so I don't need to review what they already attempted to teach you.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Philippians 2;

14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings: