Where Do You See Yourself in X Years?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Yod
captain of 100

Where Do You See Yourself in X Years?

Post by Yod »

NIV James 4:13-16
Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil.

I guess 5-year plans are out, and this would make certain job interview questions a lot harder to answer, amirite?

Man, do we do *anything* right?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Where Do You See Yourself in X Years?

Post by shadow »

Yod wrote: May 24th, 2017, 4:37 pm NIV James 4:13-16
Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil.

I guess 5-year plans are out, and this would make certain job interview questions a lot harder to answer, amirite?

“If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” or as said in the King James version- "For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that."
It looks like 5 year plans are back in, you just have to plan according to God's will.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

So much for "take ye no thought for the morrow." And how much planning can be done around an "if"?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

A lot of planning can be done around an if. All planning is done around an if.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I believe there is only "today" and that is all. While it is called "day," the Lord's hand is outstretched all the "day" long. Soon, the "night" will come where no man can work and where the Lord will come as a thief in the "night" where no man knoweth whence He is. Then comes "tomorrow," or in other words, the "day of rest," or rather, the millennium. So in X years, I see myself with our Lord, Jesus Christ in His kingdom. That is my desire and my labors today while it is called "day" are my weak effort to that end.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

I wonder how many five-year plans for arrogant schemers and schemes to make money the Lord actually wills?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

In 5 years I see myself in God's Kingdom, Utah, along with the Saints, either above ground, or below. Depending on if ...
In a month I see myself in God's Kingdom, Utah, and out of the Devil's playground, California, except for the few Saints here.
In Utah it will only set me back $150 for below ground accommodations, which, I can afford that.
It will be cold, but I was there last week, and even in the snow I wasn't cold.
I think the Lord has made a long term plan for his church.
dc

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

No, I don't think you are right. Inspired modern prophets have specifically counseled us to take thought for the morrow, make plans, and prepare for whatever might come. Why have we been counseled to have food storage and to save money against a rainy day if it is a sin to think that maybe next month we will be laid off? Why would we be counseled to pursue an education as a way of preparing for a good career? These days in the US an undergraduate education can be almost impossible to achieve in four years, so a student will likely enter college with the goal of graduating in five years.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

brianj wrote: May 26th, 2017, 10:26 pm

No, I don't think you are right. Inspired modern prophets have specifically counseled us to take thought for the morrow, make plans, and prepare for whatever might come. Why have we been counseled to have food storage and to save money against a rainy day if it is a sin to think that maybe next month we will be laid off? Why would we be counseled to pursue an education as a way of preparing for a good career? These days in the US an undergraduate education can be almost impossible to achieve in four years, so a student will likely enter college with the goal of graduating in five years.
Those are excellent questions. Why would men teach that men should break the commandments of the Lord Jesus Christ?
JST Matthew 5
21 Whosoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments and shall teach men so to do, he shall in no wise be saved in the kingdom of heaven; but whosoever shall do and teach these commandments of the law until it be fulfilled, the same shall be called great and shall be saved in the kingdom of heaven.

22 For I say unto you, except your righteousness shall exceed that of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
It seems to me that when men contradict the commandments of the Lord, then the Lord's disciples have a choice: follow the men, or follow the Lord; one cannot do both, for the men who contradict the Lord are in opposition to the Lord.

Irrelevant
captain of 100

Post by Irrelevant »

Where is God's Kingdom, Utah? ;)

Contemplator
captain of 100

Post by Contemplator »

I see myself as still alive and still following Jesus Christ for some time into the future. A frequent image in the scriptures is the planting of a seed and looking toward a harvest. For example, Nephi, when he and his family arrived in the promised land, planted:
24 And it came to pass that we did begin to till the earth, and we began to plant seeds; yea, we did put all our seeds into the earth, which we had brought from the land of Jerusalem. And it came to pass that they did grow exceedingly; wherefore, we were blessed in abundance.
Nephi built a boat because he could see himself, in the future, in the promised land. He brought seeds on the boat because he could see himself, in the future, eating in the promised land. The Lord blessed Nephi as he did these things under the direction of the Lord.

You are over-generalizing a specific command that Jesus gave to his chosen twelve:
25 And now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words he looked upon the twelve whom he had chosen, and said unto them: Remember the words which I have spoken. For behold, ye are they whom I have chosen to minister unto this people. Therefore I say unto you, take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
There are other followers of Christ who have different callings at various stages of life. For example, in D&C 75:
28 And again, verily I say unto you, that every man who is obliged to provide for his own family, let him provide, and he shall in nowise lose his crown; and let him labor in the church.
Or, in D&C 99:
6 And now, verily I say unto you, that it is not expedient that you should go until your children are provided for, and sent up kindly unto the bishop of Zion.
Or, in 1 Timothy 5:
8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
You confuse the act of providing for the future with the intent of pride or self-aggrandizement. The intent of following Christ can be consistent with providing for the future. It is not that which is observable on the outside by which God judges us, but by what is in our heart.

Yod, from what you have shared through your posts I have the impression that you felt called to sell all, give it away to whomever might ask, and that you have come to know Jesus Christ through this experience. But, you are generalizing your experience of following the commandments of God to everybody else. In the quotes above there are examples of Jesus giving the commandment to take no thought for the future to certain of His followers. To others, Jesus commanded that they do certain things to provide for the future needs of themselves, their families, the kingdom, etc.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Contemplator wrote: May 27th, 2017, 8:56 am
Nephi built a boat because he could see himself, in the future, in the promised land.
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for asking this question, *is* that why Nephi built a boat?
The Lord blessed Nephi as he did these things under the direction of the Lord.
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for observing this, doesn't this contradict your above statement?
You are over-generalizing a specific command that Jesus gave to his chosen twelve:
25 And now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words he looked upon the twelve whom he had chosen, and said unto them: Remember the words which I have spoken. For behold, ye are they whom I have chosen to minister unto this people. Therefore I say unto you, take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for asking this question: doesn't that depend on which version of the Sermon you refer to? And if one excuses oneself from obeying Christ's commandments to his disciples, how then is he Christ's disciple?
There are other followers of Christ who have different callings at various stages of life. For example, in D&C 75:
28 And again, verily I say unto you, that every man who is obliged to provide for his own family, let him provide, and he shall in nowise lose his crown; and let him labor in the church.
Or, in D&C 99:
6 And now, verily I say unto you, that it is not expedient that you should go until your children are provided for, and sent up kindly unto the bishop of Zion.
Or, in 1 Timothy 5:
8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for asking this question, but in 1 Timothy 5:8, what is the antecedent to "his own," and "those?" I know what it is because I read the entire passage.
You confuse the act of providing for the future with the intent of pride or self-aggrandizement.
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for asking this question, but are you sure I am confusing an act with an intent?
The intent of following Christ can be consistent with providing for the future.
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for asking this question, but what were Christ's commandments pertaining to laying up of resources upon earth for ourselves?
Yod, from what you have shared through your posts I have the impression that you felt called to sell all, give it away to whomever might ask, and that you have come to know Jesus Christ through this experience. But, you are generalizing your experience of following the commandments of God to everybody else.
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for asking this question, but have you considered with diligent care 1 Nephi 13:40-41, Luke 6:46-49, Matthew 7:24-27, 3 Nephi 14:24-27, and 3 Nephi 15:1?

Contemplator
captain of 100

Post by Contemplator »

Hello Yod. I sure hope the merciless that you are so concerned about do not show up. ;-)

I have considered all that you have said. I have also considered all that the Lord has said. Now, we will each make our way through this life. Again, thank you for what you have posted.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Yod wrote: May 27th, 2017, 9:33 am
Contemplator wrote: May 27th, 2017, 8:56 am
Nephi built a boat because he could see himself, in the future, in the promised land.
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for asking this question, *is* that why Nephi built a boat?
Yes, that's why. Nephi was told that he would be guided to the promised land (1 Ne 17) before he was told to build a ship (1 Ne 18). Nephi knew that he had been commanded to build a ship in order to take himself and those with him to the promised land.
The Lord blessed Nephi as he did these things under the direction of the Lord.
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for observing this, doesn't this contradict your above statement?
People can do things for multiple reasons. I work hard because I want to support myself, I want to support my family, I want to pursue dreams that require money, I want to prepare for retirement, I want to have enough surplus income to help those around me who are in need, and because I want to keep the commandment to support myself. Yes, Nephi did build the ship because he could see himself in the promised land. And yes, he built the ship when and where he did because he was commanded to build a ship at that time.
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for asking this question: doesn't that depend on which version of the Sermon you refer to? And if one excuses oneself from obeying Christ's commandments to his disciples, how then is he Christ's disciple?
In another thread you spoke out against disputation. So why are you putting so much effort into a dispute here?
You express that if there is a commandment to one or more disciples in the scriptures then it is a commandment to all of us. In D&C 31 Thomas B Marsh is commanded to leave his family and go on a mission to the Lamanites. Are you posting here while taking breaks from your missionary work among the Lamanites? If not, then why haven't you kept the commandment given to Bro. Marsh?
Or, in D&C 99:
Or, in 1 Timothy 5:
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for asking this question, but in 1 Timothy 5:8, what is the antecedent to "his own," and "those?" I know what it is because I read the entire passage.
By your reasoning, when Bro. Marsh was commanded to leave his family behind and go serve a mission - not to mention the many other church members who were given similar commandments - they were violating the counsel in 1 Timothy 5. Therefore you can conclude that the Lord intentionally gave them contradicting commandments so that they will be in the wrong no matter what they do. You would also have to reconcile the conflicting commandments to offer animal sacrifice and to not offer animal sacrifice but the sacrifice of a broken heart and contrite spirit.

I think you will find that most faithful Latter-day Saints understand that not every calling, commandment, or counsel is required to be followed by all church members.
You confuse the act of providing for the future with the intent of pride or self-aggrandizement.
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for asking this question, but are you sure I am confusing an act with an intent?
In the first, third, and fifth posts on this page you appear to have argued that any effort to plan for the future is an act of faithlessness and pride. Which is interesting because in the other thread where you are warmly contending with me you are claiming that it doesn't matter why we keep the commandments, just that we do.
The intent of following Christ can be consistent with providing for the future.
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for asking this question, but what were Christ's commandments pertaining to laying up of resources upon earth for ourselves?
One of those commandments is to acquire a one year supply of food. Another commandment is to get out of debt and save money. If those commandments are not telling us to lay up resources for ourselves, what are they? And since it appears you are using Matt 6:19 to argue that any effort to lay up for ourselves on earth is a sin, do you allege that modern prophets really aren't prophets?
Yod, from what you have shared through your posts I have the impression that you felt called to sell all, give it away to whomever might ask, and that you have come to know Jesus Christ through this experience. But, you are generalizing your experience of following the commandments of God to everybody else.
At the risk of invoking the ire of the merciless for asking this question, but have you considered with diligent care 1 Nephi 13:40-41, Luke 6:46-49, Matthew 7:24-27, 3 Nephi 14:24-27, and 3 Nephi 15:1?
Wait a minute. The whole thing about building a house on a rock versus building on sand sounds an awful lot like taking thought for the future when preparing to build a house. And you have been arguing against taking any thought for the morrow. Choose one position and stick with it.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

brianj wrote: May 27th, 2017, 11:36 pm One of those commandments is to acquire a one year supply of food. Another commandment is to get out of debt and save money. If those commandments are not telling us to lay up resources for ourselves, what are they?
Where are these written, these commandments that you mention?

-Finrock

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Finrock wrote: May 28th, 2017, 11:02 am
brianj wrote: May 27th, 2017, 11:36 pm One of those commandments is to acquire a one year supply of food. Another commandment is to get out of debt and save money. If those commandments are not telling us to lay up resources for ourselves, what are they?

-Finrock
Members of the Church have been counseled for many years to be prepared for adversity. Preparation, both spiritual and temporal, can dispel fear (see D&C 38:30).

L. Tom Perry taught, “The need for preparation is abundantly clear. The great blessing of being prepared gives us freedom from fear” (“If Ye Are Prepared Ye Shall Not Fear,” Oct. 1995 general conference).

With the guidance of Church leaders, individuals and families should prepare to be self-reliant in times of personal and widespread tragedy.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

eddie wrote: May 28th, 2017, 11:11 am

-Finrock
Members of the Church have been counseled for many years to be prepared for adversity. Preparation, both spiritual and temporal, can dispel fear (see D&C 38:30).

L. Tom Perry taught, “The need for preparation is abundantly clear. The great blessing of being prepared gives us freedom from fear” (“If Ye Are Prepared Ye Shall Not Fear,” Oct. 1995 general conference).

With the guidance of Church leaders, individuals and families should prepare to be self-reliant in times of personal and widespread tragedy.
I did not see a commandment written in your quote.

-Finrock

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

-Finrock

D&C 38:30 I tell you these things because of your prayers; wherefore, treasure up wisdom in your bosoms, lest the wickedness of men reveal these things unto you by their wickedness, in a manner which shall speak in your ears with a voice louder than that which shall shake the earth; but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear.

brianj said that we have been commanded to acquire a one year supply of food, to get out of debt AND to save money. Those are the commandments I'm looking for.

-Firnock

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Finrock wrote: May 28th, 2017, 11:20 am

-Finrock

I did not see a commandment written in your quote.

-Finrock
In that case you should feel free to go have a beer. Nowhere in D&C 89 will you see the word commandment so you haven't been commanded to obey that counsel, right?

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

D&C 38:39 And if ye seek the riches which it is the will of the Father to give unto you, ye shall be the richest of all people, for ye shall have the riches of eternity; and it must needs be that the riches of the earth are mine to give; but beware of pride, lest ye become as the Nephites of old.

D&C 48:4 It must needs be necessary that ye save all the money that ye can, and that ye obtain all that ye can in righteousness, that in time ye may be enabled to purchase land for an inheritance, even the city.

D&C 51:13 And again, let the bishop appoint a storehouse unto this church; and let all things both in money and in meat, which are more than is needful for the wants of this people, be kept in the hands of the bishop.
14 And let him also reserve unto himself for his own wants, and for the wants of his family, as he shall be employed in doing this business.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Ya, I don't think this is the Lord saying, "Don't make plans because you might be dead." Instead, he's telling them (and therefore us) that we should include him in our thinking and planning.