The Wise, the Learned, and the Rich

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Yod
captain of 100

Re: The Wise, the Learned, and the Rich

Post by Yod »

shadow wrote: May 26th, 2017, 1:49 pm
Yod wrote: May 24th, 2017, 4:19 pm Remember the three categories of people whom the LORD God despises: the wise, the learned (degreed, credentialed), and the rich (those who have taken more than they personally need and do not give on request).

Why do you suppose that the learned that Lord is speaking of are the "degreed, credentialed"?
For reasons stated throughout the thread.
I don't recall reading anywhere in the scriptures where it's just the "degreed" or "credentialed"?
Ok.
It seems that He's referring to those who think they're so smart that they don't need God.
Like those wise people with retirement funds, 401Ks, and other corruptible or thievable treasures laid up for themselves upon earth, I suppose, earned through their own wisdom, power, or management of the creature. After all, nothing gives freedom from God and one's fellow man like bucks in the bank, amirite?
Those who think they have it all figured out.
Yes, those wise people who have figured out how the economic world works, and have done what God said not to do, and do not do what God said to do.
Those who lack humility.
Yes, indeed: those wise people who have taken more than they need, disbelieving God, and do not give as commanded, for they consider themselves better than others instead of equal with others.
Obviously it doesn't take a degree or a credential to be a bloated idiot pontificating about how smart they think they are while being full of bitterness.
I'm sure.
Heck, there are people on this site who probably don't have degrees who think they have it all figured out (learned).
I wouldn't know.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Re: The Wise, the Learned, and the Rich

Post by Finrock »

Yod wrote: May 25th, 2017, 8:21 am
1. Why is the wisdom of God foolishness to man?
Because God's wisdom says not to prepare temporally for the future, whereas men fear entirely for their temporal future and therefore account it wise to prepare for that future in this world, including taking more than they need and keeping it away from others, instead of giving it to those who need it, except on exchange, and obtaining credentials or degrees through education that they may be lifted above their brethren in the jobs markets. Therefore the wisdom of God seems entirely foolish to men. All these things men do in their wisdom to prepare for their temporal future, which is the future they truly fear, divide us, which contradicts God's purpose which is to unite us through the Atonement.
Abba Doulas, the disciple of Abba Bessarion said, 'One day when we were walking beside the sea I was thirstty and I said to Abba Bessarion, "Father, I am very thirsty." He said a prayer and said to me, "Drink some of the sea water." The water proved sweet when I drank some. I even poured some into a leather bottle for fear of being thirsty later on. Seeing this, the old man asked me why I was taking some. I said to him, "Forgive me, it is for fear of being thirsty later on." Then the old man said, "God is here, God is everywhere."
-Finrock