5 Actionable and Specific Commandments of Jesus Christ

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Yod
captain of 100

Re: 5 Actionable and Specific Commandments of Jesus Christ

Post by Yod »

Serragon wrote: May 24th, 2017, 2:37 pm
Yod wrote: May 24th, 2017, 2:07 pm Again with this mythical "incorrectness" that seems so clear to everyone else yet nowhere has been openly stated.

There is no "logic" to the repetition of the commandments of the Lord Jesus Christ to those who claim to have taken upon themselves his name and entered into a covenant to keep his commandments.

Persecutions and cries of "error" greeting their repetition signify hypocrisy.
If all you did was continually repeat the commandments, there would be no incorrectness or logic errors.

You have rejected the fact that all messages are interpreted.
You have rejected Joseph's plain words on this subject.
You have said that those who do not think Christ was talking literaly are calling Christ a liar.
I have indeed. If Christ says "give to every man that asks," for example, and we have that thrice repeated in scripture, then those who say Christ didn't mean that are calling Christ a liar.
You have claimed multiple times you are being persecuted simply because people disagree with you.
Did I say that I am persecuted "simply because people disagree with" me? Quote me.
You indicate that people who disagree with you are hypocrites.
Quote me.
These ideas are incorrect and/or illogical.
I see; you wish to tend to my motes.
You have never stated how you know Christ was speaking literaly.
That's true.
You have not answered as to why Christ Himself did not live according to this literalist doctrine.
Because nobody has established that he did not.
You simply say people are calling Christ a liar.
It's not quite that simple, is it?
Your argument is basically "I take this literally, therefore it is true. Anyone who says different is calling Christ a liar."
There is no argument. He said these things. I repeat them.
Not very persuasive.
I cannot help that you do not believe.
Yod wrote: Can you say I am arrogant without breaking the commandment to "judge not"?
I suggest you look in the mirror before using this
Romans 2:1.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Sarah wrote: May 24th, 2017, 2:38 pm So back the original point in the OP, I believe that the principle the Lord is trying to communicate is to give unselfishly, and especially to those that ask, or who are "beggars." A beggar represents someone who is humble and not demanding, but begs, and has a true need, and not an attitude of entitlement or selfishness. If we at any time find ourselves surrounded by those who are being selfish, we can give-in to their demands once and not fight back to punish them in return, but we also can recognize that withholding or removing ourselves from that victim position is actually a loving thing to do. If you continually give to those who are acting selfishly, you are only encouraging their bad behavior and that is not a loving thing to do.
Except the Lord says "give to every man that asketh." And he says "love your enemies." Even the ones that demand. Christ gave even his life for his enemies, not shirking the victim position. Shall we do less and be what he is?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Fwiw, I believe Yod is correct. This is why Christ also said that many are called, but few are chosen. I'm confident we will be surprised who those "few" are, and how few there will actually be.

As an example, look how defensive people get when their paradigm is challenged.

A number of years ago, my husband and I both received revelation that we needed to downsize considerably, so that we could assist more people in need. There were other things we also needed to give up. Our very best friends told us that what we were doing was NOT what the Church asks us to do, and when my husband said that it's what the Lord asked us, personally, to do, these best friends of many years turned their backs on us. We moved a mile from them, and are in the same ward, but they won't socialize with us any longer. We never suggested to them that they should do the same thing. By the way, they are very wealthy..........

Seriously, it's not easy to be His disciple. Yod understands, and those of you arguing with him, and judging him, are building on sandy ground. You should be asking the God of Heaven and Earth what He desires for YOU to be doing with any excess you may possess.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

Well I'm sold. Lets take everything Christ said exactly literal and examine all the great scriptural insights we can find by doing so.
Matthew 16:22-23 wrote: 22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
Wow.. so peter was literally Satan! Amazing! No wonder in verse 18 he says he will build his church upon peter. Its a punishment. Peter is like a real life atlas, punished to walk around with Christs church on his back!
Matthew 16 wrote: 18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
I've always thought he simply meant peter would be the leader of the church, but I see now it must be literal and the church must ride around on peter's back.
Matthew 16 wrote: 24 ¶ Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Lets see... he can't be speaking figuratively, so, I guess I better get started on constructing a cross so I can take up my cross and follow christ... crap... does that mean I have to fly it over to israel so I can carry it where he did? When I do I'll be sure to watch out for the pharisees and make sure I don't eat their bread!
matthew 16 wrote: 6 ¶ Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

7 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread.

8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?

9 Do ye not yet understand, neither remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?

10 Neither the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?

11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?

12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
Ignore the part where Christ reprimands his apostles for taking this literally because literal is always right, unless you want to call christ a liar!

uh oh.. found another mistake. Those terrible apostles went around teaching everyone who Christ was after his resurrection, but in this same chapter, he told them not to tell anyone who he was!
Matthew 16 wrote: 20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
We should take this literally, when he says this he means it for all time and all situations. We must stop teaching people about who Christ is immediately!

Wow, look at all these great insights from taking Christ literally in just 1 chapter of scripture. I can't wait to go through the rest of the scriptures and see what else I can learn by taking everything literally!

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Yes, Rensai, I understood you the first time: you think the Lord in giving his commandments lied. You think he wanted people to do exactly not what he said. I guess you'd believe he's probably laughing along with you at all those literalistic fools who believed his words and did what he commanded and obtained eternal life, amirite?

You don't need to keep repeating yourself to me. Take your accusations to God, from whom these commandments come.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Yod,

I feel that there is little I could add to what Silver, Rensai, Sarragon, and Sarah have said.

I have a reputation of being a bit rough of fools, and snipers, so I will take responsibility for some of this.

So there are many "actionable" and "specific" ... although I'm not sure these are necessarily so specific since instead of responding to my reductio ad absurdum demonstration of the foolishness of that claim,you just acted like a snowflake and got your panties in a twist and began whining. commands in the Bible... Why did you select these?

So maybe we can start again. You started this thread to make a point. Exactly what was the objective you had in starting this thread (and don't say to inform us of these scriptures, because everybody is already familiar with them)... so what are you really trying to say??

Regards,

George Clay
Last edited by gclayjr on May 24th, 2017, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

Lizzy60 wrote: May 24th, 2017, 3:29 pm Fwiw, I believe Yod is correct. This is why Christ also said that many are called, but few are chosen. I'm confident we will be surprised who those "few" are, and how few there will actually be.

A number of years ago, my husband and I both received revelation that we needed to downsize considerably, so that we could assist more people in need. There were other things we also needed to give up. Our very best friends told us that what we were doing was NOT what the Church asks us to do, and when my husband said that it's what the Lord asked us, personally, to do, these best friends of many years turned their backs on us. We moved a mile from them, and are in the same ward, but they won't socialize with us any longer. We never suggested to them that they should do the same thing. By the way, they are very wealthy..........

Seriously, it's not easy to be His disciple. Yod understands, and those of you arguing with him, and judging him, are building on sandy ground. You should be asking the God of Heaven and Earth what He desires for YOU to be doing with any excess you may possess.
Yod isn't talking about our excess. To a certain extent I agree with you. Many of us could probably downsize a bit and do more to help. That would be a good discussion, but Yod is literally saying we must give anything and everything, holding nothing back to care for our families, etc. And don't forget, even under the higher law, the law of consecration, we are still allowed to keep some money for our needs AND reasonable wants too, meaning we are allowed to have a few possession to enjoy. So no, Yod is not correct and if you have a house,car or any other possessions, you are not living the way Yod interprets Christs words.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

To those who protest the Lord's commandments in the Sermon do not apply to us, hear the words of the angel of the Lord.
1 Nephi 13
40 And the angel spake unto me, saying: These last records, which thou hast seen among the Gentiles [the Book of Mormon], shall establish the truth of the first, which are of the twelve apostles of the Lamb [the New Testament], and shall make known the plain and precious things which have been taken away from them; and shall make known to all kindreds, tongues, and people, that the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father, and the Savior of the world; and that all men must come unto him, or they cannot be saved.

41 And they must come according to the words which shall be established by the mouth of the Lamb; and the words of the Lamb shall be made known in the records of thy seed, as well as in the records of the twelve apostles of the Lamb; wherefore they both shall be established in one; for there is one God and one Shepherd over all the earth.
And what words were those which the Lamb established by his own mouth among the Jews and the Nephites, and not through a servant?
Luke 6
46 ¶ And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:

48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.
3 Nephi 14
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name, and in thy name have cast out devils, and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them: I never knew you; depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24 Therefore, whoso heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, who built his house upon a rock—

25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not, for it was founded upon a rock.

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them not shall be likened unto a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand—

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell, and great was the fall of it.
Matthew 7
21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24 ¶ Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
Why does threefold repetition not catch the attention of those who call themselves by the name of the Lord and profess to be his servants?
Last edited by Yod on May 24th, 2017, 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Yod wrote: May 24th, 2017, 2:44 pm
Sarah wrote: May 24th, 2017, 2:38 pm So back the original point in the OP, I believe that the principle the Lord is trying to communicate is to give unselfishly, and especially to those that ask, or who are "beggars." A beggar represents someone who is humble and not demanding, but begs, and has a true need, and not an attitude of entitlement or selfishness. If we at any time find ourselves surrounded by those who are being selfish, we can give-in to their demands once and not fight back to punish them in return, but we also can recognize that withholding or removing ourselves from that victim position is actually a loving thing to do. If you continually give to those who are acting selfishly, you are only encouraging their bad behavior and that is not a loving thing to do.
Except the Lord says "give to every man that asketh." And he says "love your enemies." Even the ones that demand. Christ gave even his life for his enemies, not shirking the victim position. Shall we do less and be what he is?
It is better to obey than to sacrifice (give). So in other words, the bounds the Lord places on our behavior are more important than the commandment to love, give, or sacrifice in a general sense.

There are all kinds of gifts, and different degrees of sacrifice. Our father doesn't ask us all to lay down our lives to atone for the sins of others, but he does ask us to sacrifice what we can. That was a special commandment and gift the Lord only could give. We are commanded to give to every man that asketh, but does that mean I should give sexual gifts to every man that asks of me? Of course not.

Christ does not always give signs to those that ask for signs. He withdrew from crowds filled with individuals that wanted his attention.

Sometimes loving your enemies means giving them love in some ways but not others. If every day your mail was stolen from your mailbox, would you intentionally place money in there for the person doing the stealing? That would be foolish and encouraging their bad behavior. But you can love them by forgiving them and not punishing them perhaps. You can give emotional support perhaps. There are lots of ways to give love. We are to learn wisdom while learning to be unselfish.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Yod,

Cooool.. You've been learning from Robert Sinclair. When you get into a corner just vomit a bunch of scriptures and walk away.

On one side, nobody can disagree with it, on the other side, you have said nothing

Good going!

Regards,

George Clay

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Lizzy60 wrote: May 24th, 2017, 3:29 pm Fwiw, I believe Yod is correct. This is why Christ also said that many are called, but few are chosen. I'm confident we will be surprised who those "few" are, and how few there will actually be.

And I too think what you did was a great example of giving and sacrifice - we all should live more simply and give to those in need.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Since Christ and His apostles did not live the commandments as interpreted by Yod, Yod must be calling Christ a liar and a hypocrite.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Sarah wrote: May 24th, 2017, 3:50 pm
Yod wrote: May 24th, 2017, 2:44 pm
It is better to obey than to sacrifice (give).
In this case, obedience is the same as giving - to obey is to sacrifice.
We are commanded to give to every man that asketh, but does that mean I should give sexual gifts to every man that asks of me? Of course not.
Of course not, because God has asked you to not do that; if you seek to serve God, therefore, you will grant God's request and not the man's. However, in the case under discussion, God has asked that you give to every man that asks.
Christ does not always give signs to those that ask for signs. He withdrew from crowds filled with individuals that wanted his attention.
Yes, because they were asking for that which would have destroyed them, and could not understand that. The guy who asks you for $100, however, or all your property like Rensai does understand what he's asking for.
Sometimes loving your enemies means giving them love in some ways but not others. If every day your mail was stolen from your mailbox, would you intentionally place money in there for the person doing the stealing? That would be foolish and encouraging their bad behavior. But you can love them by forgiving them and not punishing them perhaps. You can give emotional support perhaps. There are lots of ways to give love. We are to learn wisdom while learning to be unselfish.
If you fail to give because you fear for your own well-being, or because you have substituted your judgement for God's, you have already agreed with another power against God.
Last edited by Yod on May 24th, 2017, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Serragon wrote: May 24th, 2017, 3:54 pm Since Christ and His apostles did not live the commandments as interpreted by Yod, Yod must be calling Christ a liar and a hypocrite.
Prove they did not.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

gclayjr wrote: May 24th, 2017, 3:51 pm Yod,

Cooool.. You've been learning from Robert Sinclair. When you get into a corner just vomit a bunch of scriptures and walk away.
Such is your esteem for the scriptures, I see.
On one side, nobody can disagree with it, on the other side, you have said nothing
Yet, they keep disagreeing / disputing / contending / reviling. How odd.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Yod wrote: May 24th, 2017, 3:56 pm
Serragon wrote: May 24th, 2017, 3:54 pm Since Christ and His apostles did not live the commandments as interpreted by Yod, Yod must be calling Christ a liar and a hypocrite.
Prove they did not.
Prove they did. You are calling Christ a liar and a hypocrite.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Serragon wrote: May 24th, 2017, 3:58 pm
Prove they did not.
For the proof, I simply point you at the Gospels. I am content to leave your judgement for your words in his hands.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Yod wrote: May 24th, 2017, 4:05 pm
Serragon wrote: May 24th, 2017, 3:58 pm
Prove they did not.
For the proof, I simply point you at the Gospels. I am content to leave your judgement for your words in his hands.
For proof that they did not, I simply point you at the Gospels. Whether you are content or not, judgement is always in God's hands.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

Yod wrote: May 24th, 2017, 3:41 pm Yes, Rensai, I understood you the first time: you think the Lord in giving his commandments lied. You think he wanted people to do exactly not what he said. I guess you'd believe he's probably laughing along with you at all those literalistic fools who believed his words and did what he commanded and obtained eternal life, amirite?

You don't need to keep repeating yourself to me. Take your accusations to God, from whom these commandments come.
No, I think he wants us to do those things within reason, within our means and ability. I am not disagreeing that we should help others. All I am saying is you have taken his scriptures out of context and warped them. You will not be rewarded for that like you think. When Christ or anyone speaks there are some assumptions made about how much understanding the audience has about the topic at hand. By the time Christ walked the earth the jews had many scriptures on hand to give them some context and understanding. Using past scriptures as context, allows the conversation to move along at a reasonable pace without explaining every little thing in excruciating detail. The old testament scriptures and the mosaic law clearly outlined the israelites rights to own property, how to give, etc. It would be stupid for Christ to spend time explaining then, that when he says they should give freely and all that, that he is not saying they should give everything, that is inconsistent and nonsensical. He is teaching based on what they already understand.

What you are doing is ignoring all that, and taking a few verses to stand alone, then insisting that no other knowledge or understanding applies. Its a fairly common mistake actually, but few take it as far as you. For example, you quoted Luke 14.
26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Taken literally... we must hate our families, but what about love your neighbor as yourself or honor thy father and mother, etc. Either this verse cannot be taken literally or Christ is really inconsistent in his commandments. When you add some context from Christ's other scriptures and teachings its plain that Chris does not intend you to take this verse literally.

As for your question, you couldn't be more wrong. I actually do think a lot of the scriptures are literal, but that you also have to get context from all scriptures and your understanding of one should not contradict others and if it does, you've made a mistake. The scriptures have to be taken as a whole and our understanding of any given verse should be consistent with the whole. I've tried pointing out how your interpretation of these verses contradicts many scriptures and so is incorrect. You have stated now several times that I am calling the Lord a liar; that is plainly false and frankly very offensive. I am not doing that, I am saying your understanding is wrong so please stop putting words in my mouth.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Serragon: Good luck. We shall meet at Jesus's feet.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Rensai: for the umpteenth time, I heard you the first time. You think the Lord lied in his commandments. You don't need to protest your righteousness to me, nor justify yourself to me. Tell it to the Lord.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

You might pay a little more attention to what it pleases George Clay, Jr., to call "scripture vomit."

1 Nephi 19:7 For the things which some men esteem to be of great worth, both to the body and soul, others set at naught and trample under their feet. Yea, even the very God of Israel do men trample under their feet; I say, trample under their feet but I would speak in other words—they set him at naught, and hearken not to the voice of his counsels.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Yod wrote: May 24th, 2017, 10:16 am How many of us want to feel more spiritually fulfilled and nourished? In the sacramental prayer for the bread, we are promised that if we will keep the Lord's commandments, we may have his spirit to be with us always.

1. If anyone hits you on one cheek, turn the other cheek to him (Luke 6:29; Matt 5:39; 3 Nephi 12:39).
2. If anyone takes your cloak, allow him to have your coat too (Luke 6:29; Matt 5:40; 3 Nephi 12:40).
3. Give to every person who asks you to (Luke 6:30; Matt 5:42; 3 Nephi 12:42).
4. Do not ask for your stuff back from anyone who takes it (Luke 6:30).
5. Lend to everyone who asks, do not ask for it back (#4), and hope that you do not get paid back (Luke 6:34-35; Matt 5:42; 3 Nephi 12:42).

Can you be more spiritually nourished and fulfilled than to have the spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ with you always?
I have been endeavoring to live according to every word, which proceeds out of the mouth of God, whether they are found in scripture or whether He speaks them to me.
Is having his spirit to be with us always worth doing these specific and actionable things?
Yes. Absolutely yes.
What would stop us from always doing these things?
In one word, unbelief.
Can we follow Jesus Christ if we refuse to do these things he said to do?
No. He does not turn to the right nor to the left. When we refuse to walk the same path by doing the same things, we deviate from the "way." Whenever I have found myself deviating from these things, I do my best to repent (Hebrew teshuva="return"). I make the necessary course correction and "return" or "repent" and begin walking the straight path again. Doing what my Savior has said to do has yielded fruit. I have gained further light and knowledge and endeavor every day to be just like Him, not more, not less. After all, as Nephi said, we are saved by His grace after all we can do. And though I am a fool and a sinner and a wretched man, I have trusted in Jesus and will never stop trusting Jesus and will never stop crying out to Him until I feel the prints in His feet and then His hands and He finally wipes my tears. Nothing else matters. Will I do whatever He requires? I try, though I am weak, but eventually, always yes!

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

At the time of Christ teaching these, what would they have meant to the person hearing them? Were they a metaphor that had some meaning in their culture that could be related to being a follower of Christ at that time?

What was the cultural significance of hitting a cheek? suing for a coat, walking a mile? etc... they seem to involve legal claims that others have against you. And who has legal claim over us as Christians? Christ.

Maybe this literal interpretation misses the point completely. When you owe someone something, make restitution in double.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

Yod wrote: May 24th, 2017, 4:12 pm Rensai: for the umpteenth time, I heard you the first time. You think the Lord lied in his commandments. You don't need to protest your righteousness to me, nor justify yourself to me. Tell it to the Lord.
No I do not think he lied, I think you are wrong. Can you not understand plain english? Nor have I ever tried to justify myself or my righteousness to you. What I have done, is tried to help you see how utterly ridiculous your interpretation of these scriptures is. Even though your interpretation strains all credulity and appears like a pretty obvious attempt to troll the forum, I try to give you the benefit of the doubt and answer your posts, but you're acting like a small child who sticks their fingers in their ears repeating the same words over and over again loudly so they don't have to hear anything they disagree with. If you want to be that way, fine, I'm done wasting my time here.