If we do not take care of the poor we are like hypocrites who deny the faith.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Alma 34:28 And now behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, do not suppose that this is all; for after ye have done all these things, if ye turn away the needy, and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart of your substance, if ye have, to those who stand in need—I say unto you, if ye do not any of these things, behold, your prayer is vain, and availeth you nothing, and ye are as hypocrites who do deny the faith.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Re: If we do not take care of the poor we are like hypocrites who deny the faith.

Post by Jonesy »

I've found that taking care of the poor is quite a challenge, to say the least. It's hard to find the best means to help someone without overstepping their own agency and relationship with God. I say that because it's most always not just a financial issue. It's usually a side-issue to either mental health, drug abuse, failures in society, etc. There's no easy solution. I understand the endeavor in itself is the point here, but what do you find is the best means to accomplish this? I've tried helping people on an individual basis, which can be very difficult. On the other hand, I feel kind of useless working at homeless shelters.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Re: If we do not take care of the poor we are like hypocrites who deny the faith.

Post by Dave62 »

Such a contested article of our faith! Notice how cunning is the Enemy. If I were to mention "social justice" we all know the kind of response I would get these days. But we Priesthood holders, home teachers, visiting teachers, Relief Society members, Bishops and Aaronic Priesthood are the true and original "SJW's". Notice how effectively the Enemy has alienated us from our duties of tended to the needs of the poor and needy. Now, in this I have generalised; the LDS are very effective in meeting these responsibilities as a whole. But we are metaphorically "looking over our shoulders" in the public forum. The Enemy is making it increasingly difficult to maintain our place in the community by labeling us as haters and bigots.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

The question is how should we take care of the poor? Judging by TV news reports and a discussion here regarding a proposed homeless shelter in Draper, UT, it seems that at least some people think the best way to take care of the poor is to stop government agencies and charities from doing anything to help the poor: turn your back on them and they'll figure out they have to work then stop being poor. Most of us, thankfully, see how false that idea is. The poor need help, but how do we help them? What help, and what amount of help, should we be providing?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I have been given an assignment to "help" a 28 year old member of our stake who has a mental disability of some sort, refuses to take prescribed medication for his mental condition, is capable of working but doesn't (while working at DI his attendance was about 50%), bums or steals money from family members to buy cigarettes, and can be a bit obnoxious at times. His father wants him out of the house; his mother won't have that. I've been told to not give him any money. I'd appreciate any suggestions what I can do to hellp.

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Why not heal him with the power of the priesthood or if not by that by herbs and mild food?

D&C 42:43 And whosoever among you are sick, and have not faith to be healed, but believe, shall be nourished with all tenderness, with herbs and mild food, and that not by the hand of an enemy.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

lundbaek wrote: May 20th, 2017, 10:01 pm I have been given an assignment to "help" a 28 year old member of our stake who has a mental disability of some sort, refuses to take prescribed medication for his mental condition, is capable of working but doesn't (while working at DI his attendance was about 50%), bums or steals money from family members to buy cigarettes, and can be a bit obnoxious at times. His father wants him out of the house; his mother won't have that. I've been told to not give him any money. I'd appreciate any suggestions what I can do to hellp.
Tell him you'll buy him a supply of electronic cigs each month if and only if he stays on his meds, maintains your yard every Saturday and stops smoking the real stuff.