JohnnyL's Law--Giving to ourselves and the poor

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

JohnnyL's Law--Giving to ourselves and the poor

Post by JohnnyL »

JohnnyL's Law: $ you spend on excesses =or< $ you give to the poor.

I was reading in 4 Nephi 1:23-25 about becoming exceedingly rich in Christ, and having things in common. It's when the pride crept in and people started splurging on themselves and "forgetting" the poor that things broke.

I wonder what would happen if we took what we normally spent on ourselves (eating out well, expensive jewelry, designer clothes when not really needed, etc.) and cut it in half, and gave half the $ to the poor. I'm wondering how to implement this better.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Re: JohnnyL's Law--Giving to ourselves and the poor

Post by Matchmaker »

JohnnyL wrote: May 17th, 2017, 8:18 am JohnnyL's Law: $ you spend on excesses =or< $ you give to the poor.

I was reading in 4 Nephi 1:23-25 about becoming exceedingly rich in Christ, and having things in common. It's when the pride crept in and people started splurging on themselves and "forgetting" the poor that things broke.

I wonder what would happen if we took what we normally spent on ourselves (eating out well, expensive jewelry, designer clothes when not really needed, etc.) and cut it in half, and gave half the $ to the poor. I'm wondering how to implement this better.
That sounds like a great way to increase your Ward fast offerings, and if your Ward is so well off that it doesn't need the money, the money can be passed on to the Stake for distribution among Wards with less resources.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: JohnnyL's Law--Giving to ourselves and the poor

Post by JohnnyL »

Lol, we are one of the wards that uses up the stake's leftovers.

Once more, it's harder to be poor than it used to be, in most places. Taxes, property taxes, bad landlords, licensing, zoning laws, etc. Some places you can't even put an RV on your land for living. Goes back to that self-sufficiency is difficult thread...