Men, if you weren't providing for your families, what would you be doing?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Men, if you weren't providing for your families, what would you be doing?

Post by Rose Garden »

I feel that there is more to the role of men than simply being the provider in a family. I believe that that role is a telestial role. I'm not saying it's bad, only that we only need men to play that role in a telestial world. In a terrestrial world, all physical needs are provided for already (garden of Eden style). So I think if you are truly going to fully understand the role of men, you have to go beyond providing for the family, even though that is generally accepted as the main role of men in a family.

I'm wondering what you men feel you would need to focus on if you weren't providing for your families. If all physical needs were being met, what do you believe would be important to focus on? Are there good things you think you could be accomplishing if you didn't have to provide for the family? What role does priesthood play in those things?

dafty
captain of 100

Re: Men, if you weren't providing for your families, what would you be doing?

Post by dafty »

Meili wrote: April 5th, 2017, 11:26 pm I feel that there is more to the role of men than simply being the provider in a family. I believe that that role is a telestial role. I'm not saying it's bad, only that we only need men to play that role in a telestial world. In a terrestrial world, all physical needs are provided for already (garden of Eden style). So I think if you are truly going to fully understand the role of men, you have to go beyond providing for the family, even though that is generally accepted as the main role of men in a family.

I'm wondering what you men feel you would need to focus on if you weren't providing for your families. If all physical needs were being met, what do you believe would be important to focus on? Are there good things you think you could be accomplishing if you didn't have to provide for the family? What role does priesthood play in those things?
Do loads of fun activities with my children and enjoy having sex with the wives God blesses me with, how does that sound?

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

I think, if basic survival was taken care of, the next role for men is to look at providing a better world for our children by defending liberty, like Captain Moroni did.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

dafty wrote: April 6th, 2017, 4:02 am
Meili wrote: April 5th, 2017, 11:26 pm I feel that there is more to the role of men than simply being the provider in a family. I believe that that role is a telestial role. I'm not saying it's bad, only that we only need men to play that role in a telestial world. In a terrestrial world, all physical needs are provided for already (garden of Eden style). So I think if you are truly going to fully understand the role of men, you have to go beyond providing for the family, even though that is generally accepted as the main role of men in a family.

Do loads of fun activities with my children and enjoy having sex with the wives God blesses me with, how does that sound?
:) Sounds fun.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

mes5464 wrote: April 6th, 2017, 7:55 am I think, if basic survival was taken care of, the next role for men is to look at providing a better world for our children by defending liberty, like Captain Moroni did.
Good point. Defense actually comes before providing in importance, since providing becomes superfluous if you don't have your freedom.

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

I disagree with you, and here's why:
We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.

All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.

In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshipped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize their divine destiny as heirs of eternal life. The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.

The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.

We declare the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God’s eternal plan.

Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. “Children are an heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.

The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.

We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.

We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.
According to revelation from God "the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children." This "eternal destiny" includes becoming like our Heavenly Parents and becoming a father or mother ourselves. This "divine design" is not a telestial construct. Neither is it a terrestrial construct. In fact it's not even a celestial one because only those who reach the highest degree of the celestial kingdom will be allowed to continue the sacred role of being fathers and mothers throughout the eternities:

"1 In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees;
2 And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage];
3 And if he does not, he cannot obtain it.
4 He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an increase." (D&C 131)

And so we then ask if the "eternal destiny" of God's children is to become like God then do the roles of fathers and mothers alter or change, or do they remain the same? The prophets and apostles have declared that "Gender is an essential characteristic of [our] individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose." And indeed we need but look to God himself to see what roles he fulfills as a father in this "eternal destiny."

"11 It is wisdom in me; therefore, a commandment I give unto you, that ye shall organize yourselves and appoint every man his stewardship;
12 That every man may give an account unto me of the stewardship which is appointed unto him.
13 For it is expedient that I, the Lord, should make every man accountable, as a steward over earthly blessings, which I have made and prepared for my creatures.
14 I, the Lord, stretched out the heavens, and built the earth, my very handiwork; and all things therein are mine.
15 And it is my purpose to provide for my saints, for all things are mine.
16 But it must needs be done in mine own way; and behold this is the way that I, the Lord, have decreed to provide for my saints, that the poor shall be exalted, in that the rich are made low.
17 For the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare; yea, I prepared all things, and have given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves.
18 Therefore, if any man shall take of the abundance which I have made, and impart not his portion, according to the law of my gospel, unto the poor and the needy, he shall, with the wicked, lift up his eyes in hell, being in torment." (D&C 104)

And so here we read in holy scripture that the Lord God created all things in the heavens and the earth with the intent and purpose of providing for his people, and this "according to the law of [His] gospel." Another wonderful example and teaching of this is found in Mosiah chapter 4 wherein king Benjamin taught his people:

"4 And king Benjamin again opened his mouth and began to speak unto them, saying: My friends and my brethren, my kindred and my people, I would again call your attention, that ye may hear and understand the remainder of my words which I shall speak unto you.
5 For behold, if the knowledge of the goodness of God at this time has awakened you to a sense of your nothingness, and your worthless and fallen state—
6 I say unto you, if ye have come to a knowledge of the goodness of God, and his matchless power, and his wisdom, and his patience, and his long-suffering towards the children of men; and also, the atonement which has been prepared from the foundation of the world, that thereby salvation might come to him that should put his trust in the Lord, and should be diligent in keeping his commandments, and continue in the faith even unto the end of his life, I mean the life of the mortal body—
7 I say, that this is the man who receiveth salvation, through the atonement which was prepared from the foundation of the world for all mankind, which ever were since the fall of Adam, or who are, or who ever shall be, even unto the end of the world.
8 And this is the means whereby salvation cometh. And there is none other salvation save this which hath been spoken of; neither are there any conditions whereby man can be saved except the conditions which I have told you.
9 Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.
10 And again, believe that ye must repent of your sins and forsake them, and humble yourselves before God; and ask in sincerity of heart that he would forgive you; and now, if you believe all these things see that ye do them.
11 And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.
12 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true.
13 And ye will not have a mind to injure one another, but to live peaceably, and to render to every man according to that which is his due.
14 And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another, and serve the devil, who is the master of sin, or who is the evil spirit which hath been spoken of by our fathers, he being an enemy to all righteousness.
15 But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another.
16 And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.
17 Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just—
18 But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.
19 For behold, are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?
20 And behold, even at this time, ye have been calling on his name, and begging for a remission of your sins. And has he suffered that ye have begged in vain? Nay; he has poured out his Spirit upon you, and has caused that your hearts should be filled with joy, and has caused that your mouths should be stopped that ye could not find utterance, so exceedingly great was your joy.
21 And now, if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive, O then, how ye ought to impart of the substance that ye have one to another.
22 And if ye judge the man who putteth up his petition to you for your substance that he perish not, and condemn him, how much more just will be your condemnation for withholding your substance, which doth not belong to you but to God, to whom also your life belongeth; and yet ye put up no petition, nor repent of the thing which thou hast done.
23 I say unto you, wo be unto that man, for his substance shall perish with him; and now, I say these things unto those who are rich as pertaining to the things of this world.
24 And again, I say unto the poor, ye who have not and yet have sufficient, that ye remain from day to day; I mean all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give.
25 And now, if ye say this in your hearts ye remain guiltless, otherwise ye are condemned; and your condemnation is just for ye covet that which ye have not received.
26 And now, for the sake of these things which I have spoken unto you—that is, for the sake of retaining a remission of your sins from day to day, that ye may walk guiltless before God—I would that ye should impart of your substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants.
27 And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order."

King Benjamin is teaching us the role of God, how He is a provider for His children - spiritually and temporally - and how we need to emulate God so that we can learn to become as He is.

No, the role of men to be a provider for their family is not just a "telestial role" meant for this life only. It is, in fact, a divine and celestial role of the highest order for God Himself, the greatest of all, and our Eternal Father, has taught us this by word and example. If you wish to learn more about the eternal nature and role of fathers then study the life, works, and word of God, for He will teach you all things.

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

dafty wrote:

Your wife will also be doing the same with multiple husbands if you believe all of the stories regarding the origin of polygamy that supposedly involved Joseph and Emma. How does that sound?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

God planted the garden of Eden, it didn't magically grow there. It's true that there will be no sickness and death but I think we'll still have a need for planting gardens ;)

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Blasted winky eye emoji X(

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

Well my brother in law has been going to art school for 8 years does that count.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

SmallFarm wrote: April 6th, 2017, 12:12 pm Blasted winky eye emoji X(
=))

Terrible isn't it, that there is so much fuss over a little winky face? Oh, boy, are we in trouble when we can't cope without such things!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Onsdag wrote: April 6th, 2017, 11:11 am

I disagree with you, and here's why:
We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.

All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.

In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshipped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize their divine destiny as heirs of eternal life. The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.

The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.

We declare the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God’s eternal plan.

Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. “Children are an heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.

The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.

We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.

We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.
According to revelation from God "the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children." This "eternal destiny" includes becoming like our Heavenly Parents and becoming a father or mother ourselves. This "divine design" is not a telestial construct. Neither is it a terrestrial construct. In fact it's not even a celestial one because only those who reach the highest degree of the celestial kingdom will be allowed to continue the sacred role of being fathers and mothers throughout the eternities:

"1 In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees;
2 And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage];
3 And if he does not, he cannot obtain it.
4 He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an increase." (D&C 131)

And so we then ask if the "eternal destiny" of God's children is to become like God then do the roles of fathers and mothers alter or change, or do they remain the same? The prophets and apostles have declared that "Gender is an essential characteristic of [our] individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose." And indeed we need but look to God himself to see what roles he fulfills as a father in this "eternal destiny."

"11 It is wisdom in me; therefore, a commandment I give unto you, that ye shall organize yourselves and appoint every man his stewardship;
12 That every man may give an account unto me of the stewardship which is appointed unto him.
13 For it is expedient that I, the Lord, should make every man accountable, as a steward over earthly blessings, which I have made and prepared for my creatures.
14 I, the Lord, stretched out the heavens, and built the earth, my very handiwork; and all things therein are mine.
15 And it is my purpose to provide for my saints, for all things are mine.
16 But it must needs be done in mine own way; and behold this is the way that I, the Lord, have decreed to provide for my saints, that the poor shall be exalted, in that the rich are made low.
17 For the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare; yea, I prepared all things, and have given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves.
18 Therefore, if any man shall take of the abundance which I have made, and impart not his portion, according to the law of my gospel, unto the poor and the needy, he shall, with the wicked, lift up his eyes in hell, being in torment." (D&C 104)

And so here we read in holy scripture that the Lord God created all things in the heavens and the earth with the intent and purpose of providing for his people, and this "according to the law of [His] gospel." Another wonderful example and teaching of this is found in Mosiah chapter 4 wherein king Benjamin taught his people:

"4 And king Benjamin again opened his mouth and began to speak unto them, saying: My friends and my brethren, my kindred and my people, I would again call your attention, that ye may hear and understand the remainder of my words which I shall speak unto you.
5 For behold, if the knowledge of the goodness of God at this time has awakened you to a sense of your nothingness, and your worthless and fallen state—
6 I say unto you, if ye have come to a knowledge of the goodness of God, and his matchless power, and his wisdom, and his patience, and his long-suffering towards the children of men; and also, the atonement which has been prepared from the foundation of the world, that thereby salvation might come to him that should put his trust in the Lord, and should be diligent in keeping his commandments, and continue in the faith even unto the end of his life, I mean the life of the mortal body—
7 I say, that this is the man who receiveth salvation, through the atonement which was prepared from the foundation of the world for all mankind, which ever were since the fall of Adam, or who are, or who ever shall be, even unto the end of the world.
8 And this is the means whereby salvation cometh. And there is none other salvation save this which hath been spoken of; neither are there any conditions whereby man can be saved except the conditions which I have told you.
9 Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.
10 And again, believe that ye must repent of your sins and forsake them, and humble yourselves before God; and ask in sincerity of heart that he would forgive you; and now, if you believe all these things see that ye do them.
11 And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.
12 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true.
13 And ye will not have a mind to injure one another, but to live peaceably, and to render to every man according to that which is his due.
14 And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another, and serve the devil, who is the master of sin, or who is the evil spirit which hath been spoken of by our fathers, he being an enemy to all righteousness.
15 But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another.
16 And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.
17 Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just—
18 But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.
19 For behold, are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?
20 And behold, even at this time, ye have been calling on his name, and begging for a remission of your sins. And has he suffered that ye have begged in vain? Nay; he has poured out his Spirit upon you, and has caused that your hearts should be filled with joy, and has caused that your mouths should be stopped that ye could not find utterance, so exceedingly great was your joy.
21 And now, if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive, O then, how ye ought to impart of the substance that ye have one to another.
22 And if ye judge the man who putteth up his petition to you for your substance that he perish not, and condemn him, how much more just will be your condemnation for withholding your substance, which doth not belong to you but to God, to whom also your life belongeth; and yet ye put up no petition, nor repent of the thing which thou hast done.
23 I say unto you, wo be unto that man, for his substance shall perish with him; and now, I say these things unto those who are rich as pertaining to the things of this world.
24 And again, I say unto the poor, ye who have not and yet have sufficient, that ye remain from day to day; I mean all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give.
25 And now, if ye say this in your hearts ye remain guiltless, otherwise ye are condemned; and your condemnation is just for ye covet that which ye have not received.
26 And now, for the sake of these things which I have spoken unto you—that is, for the sake of retaining a remission of your sins from day to day, that ye may walk guiltless before God—I would that ye should impart of your substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants.
27 And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order."

King Benjamin is teaching us the role of God, how He is a provider for His children - spiritually and temporally - and how we need to emulate God so that we can learn to become as He is.

No, the role of men to be a provider for their family is not just a "telestial role" meant for this life only. It is, in fact, a divine and celestial role of the highest order for God Himself, the greatest of all, and our Eternal Father, has taught us this by word and example. If you wish to learn more about the eternal nature and role of fathers then study the life, works, and word of God, for He will teach you all things.
Thanks! I really appreciate this post.

So perhaps the question isn't what men would be doing but how they will be doing it.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

OCDMOM wrote: April 6th, 2017, 12:22 pm Well my brother in law has been going to art school for 8 years does that count.
:)) I'll count it!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

nvr wrote: April 6th, 2017, 11:49 am
dafty wrote:

Your wife will also be doing the same with multiple husbands if you believe all of the stories regarding the origin of polygamy that supposedly involved Joseph and Emma. How does that sound?
Even more fun!

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

I am afraid to say many especially in Australia and Europe live on welfare and have no employment - their are a few who are physically unable to work - I always wonder what they do... Some actually spend lots of time with their children and in the process become children themselves.

For me mostly the war that started in Heaven continues on earth (PS my understanding in heaven those needs were fulfilled - lead to a war :( ) - if there was no employment to full ones dreams of dominion and control then I would have to raise up a gang and start by taking over the neighbourhood. It is a replacement of the need... heheheee what chaos!! Ask a dumb ?? get get an even dumber answer.... Ok it is 4:50am and have work in a few hours and not sleeping well suffering from jet lag, 0k there is an answer somewhere in the post @-) @-)

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

Meili wrote: April 6th, 2017, 12:24 pm

So perhaps the question isn't what men would be doing but how they will be doing it.
For my part, however little that is, you're welcome.

I think you perhaps touched upon it in your earlier post and question...
Meili wrote: April 5th, 2017, 11:26 pm What role does priesthood play in those things?
I believe Doctrine and Covenants sections 84 and 121 gives some insight into these things and is a good starting place. Give it some thought and prayer and I'm certain you'll find the answers you seek.

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

Meili wrote: April 6th, 2017, 12:26 pm
dafty wrote:

Even more fun!
Got any picked out yet? What would your spouse think of your choices? How about dafty - any favourites you're keeping track of now to add to the family circle on the other side. If so, what does your wife think of these picks?

I'm hoping you're both just joking - if this is what any other members honestly believed, I'd feel ashamed to consider myself part of the same religion.

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

dafty wrote:

Remind me please, where did Brigham Young say that Polyandry is a part of Celestial law?
PS. Plus been there done that wore a t-shirt...My now EX wife became a prostitute after we split and must have had 500 clients by now(...and may I add that most of it was happening whilst I was babysitting our handicapped son in whom she had no interest whatsoever...). So, let me tell you, nothing can shock me any more =))

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

nvr wrote: April 6th, 2017, 1:56 pm
Meili wrote: April 6th, 2017, 12:26 pm
dafty wrote:

Even more fun!
Got any picked out yet? What would your spouse think of your choices? How about dafty - any favourites you're keeping track of now to add to the family circle on the other side. If so, what does your wife think of these picks?

I'm hoping you're both just joking - if this is what any other members honestly believed, I'd feel ashamed to consider myself part of the same religion.
I'm spouseless and joking. I'd be happy with one good man. I guess I'm trying to figure out what that looks like.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Spaced_Out wrote: April 6th, 2017, 12:54 pm

I am afraid to say many especially in Australia and Europe live on welfare and have no employment - their are a few who are physically unable to work - I always wonder what they do... Some actually spend lots of time with their children and in the process become children themselves.

For me mostly the war that started in Heaven continues on earth (PS my understanding in heaven those needs were fulfilled - lead to a war :( ) - if there was no employment to full ones dreams of dominion and control then I would have to raise up a gang and start by taking over the neighbourhood. It is a replacement of the need... heheheee what chaos!! Ask a dumb ?? get get an even dumber answer.... Ok it is 4:50am and have work in a few hours and not sleeping well suffering from jet lag, 0k there is an answer somewhere in the post @-) @-)

Hmm, well, we are supposed to become childlike....

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Onsdag wrote: April 6th, 2017, 1:37 pm
Meili wrote: April 6th, 2017, 12:24 pm

For my part, however little that is, you're welcome.

I think you perhaps touched upon it in your earlier post and question...
Meili wrote: April 5th, 2017, 11:26 pm What role does priesthood play in those things?
I believe Doctrine and Covenants sections 84 and 121 gives some insight into these things and is a good starting place. Give it some thought and prayer and I'm certain you'll find the answers you seek.
Thanks again. I'm not sure I'm asking the right questions yet but I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Meili wrote: April 5th, 2017, 11:26 pm I'm wondering what you men feel you would need to focus on if you weren't providing for your families. If all physical needs were being met, what do you believe would be important to focus on? Are there good things you think you could be accomplishing if you didn't have to provide for the family? What role does priesthood play in those things?
Another way of asking this question is what would you do if you were so rich you didn't need to work? Have any of us not fantasized about being given a winning lottery ticket, getting a visit from Publisher's Clearinghouse, receiving a huge inheritance, or investing in the right stock at the right time?

Here's what I would do: Everything I want. Some of it would probably be characterized as selfish. I'm sure that people I know who have been able to travel the world would call me selfish for doing the same, even though I've never had the opportunity.
I would probably take a three month French immersion program, but I don't know which city I would choose.
I would also spend a few weeks in Buenos Aires. I would love to really learn the Argentine tango.
I would love to sponsor 50 or so Make a Wish kids who want to go somewhere like Walt Disney World, then anonymously take the same flight they are all on.

I might go back to school. I would love to study things I'm interested in within fields that may not provide a decent income.

I have a fascination with space. I do think that things can be done more cheaply than Virgin Galactic's plan and I would love to work with some people smarter than me to design a suborbital space plane that can operate on a quicker turnaround than SpaceShipTwo. Something that can get the price down to under $20,000 per ticket, and at that price will generate enough excess income to provide grants to poor kids who are good students.

Every once in a while you hear about someone leaving a really big tip for a waiter or waitress; I want to do that.

I would spend a lot more time volunteering for charities. Working construction with Habitat for Humanity, soliciting donations, or helping out in offices.

Naturally I would want to be very generous with donations, but I wouldn't want to milk the cow dry, so I would become a much more active investor. If I could invest $5 million and consistently get a 10% return, I could spend around $60,000 or so on myself and my family then donate over $400,000 per year to charities or give some directly to people.

In short, I would keep busy. I would still work, just not for a paycheck. I would put effort into self improvement and into trying to make the world a better place.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

brianj wrote: April 6th, 2017, 7:25 pm
Meili wrote: April 5th, 2017, 11:26 pm I'm wondering what you men feel you would need to focus on if you weren't providing for your families. If all physical needs were being met, what do you believe would be important to focus on? Are there good things you think you could be accomplishing if you didn't have to provide for the family? What role does priesthood play in those things?
Another way of asking this question is what would you do if you were so rich you didn't need to work? Have any of us not fantasized about being given a winning lottery ticket, getting a visit from Publisher's Clearinghouse, receiving a huge inheritance, or investing in the right stock at the right time?

Here's what I would do: Everything I want. Some of it would probably be characterized as selfish. I'm sure that people I know who have been able to travel the world would call me selfish for doing the same, even though I've never had the opportunity.
I would probably take a three month French immersion program, but I don't know which city I would choose.
I would also spend a few weeks in Buenos Aires. I would love to really learn the Argentine tango.
I would love to sponsor 50 or so Make a Wish kids who want to go somewhere like Walt Disney World, then anonymously take the same flight they are all on.

I might go back to school. I would love to study things I'm interested in within fields that may not provide a decent income.

I have a fascination with space. I do think that things can be done more cheaply than Virgin Galactic's plan and I would love to work with some people smarter than me to design a suborbital space plane that can operate on a quicker turnaround than SpaceShipTwo. Something that can get the price down to under $20,000 per ticket, and at that price will generate enough excess income to provide grants to poor kids who are good students.

Every once in a while you hear about someone leaving a really big tip for a waiter or waitress; I want to do that.

I would spend a lot more time volunteering for charities. Working construction with Habitat for Humanity, soliciting donations, or helping out in offices.

Naturally I would want to be very generous with donations, but I wouldn't want to milk the cow dry, so I would become a much more active investor. If I could invest $5 million and consistently get a 10% return, I could spend around $60,000 or so on myself and my family then donate over $400,000 per year to charities or give some directly to people.

In short, I would keep busy. I would still work, just not for a paycheck. I would put effort into self improvement and into trying to make the world a better place.
That's awesome! I love that you have a whole list of things you would do!

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Meili wrote: April 6th, 2017, 2:54 pm Hmm, well, we are supposed to become childlike.... Does that mean my world domination goals are out of order!!
What do you woman do when children have flown the nest or those that cant have children. What do retired persons do!!!
To me it is a stupid question the plan of salivation is the work of God "To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of Man" His work is our work so one gets engaged in the work more fully. Having a career is mostly a distraction. Most of those that have the means go on a number of senior missions.

Travelling the world while still having young children is not very wise.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

My husband has always said if we were independently wealthy he'd volunteer at the Red Cross or local food bank.