HP Group Lesson this Sunday on R. Nelson's Talk on Joy & Survival

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

HP Group Lesson this Sunday on R. Nelson's Talk on Joy & Survival

Post by JK4Woods »

Anyone have any interesting insights to Russel M. Nelson's talk last conference about Joy & Spiritual Survival?

Looks like he paints a clear picture of the hard times ahead and we'd better be ready, and we better figure out how to find Joy in the face of hardship and calamity and trouble.

I'd appreciate opinions and words of wisdom to present a well rounded lesson.

Thanks!

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: HP Group Lesson this Sunday on R. Nelson's Talk on Joy & Survival

Post by kittycat51 »

It was one of my favorite from last GC! I am currently suffering from a myriad of health issues that have me beat to the ground. It is a good pick-me-up talk and I have read it several times.

Whether you are going through personal trials or something more grand, there are words of wisdom to be found. I liked his story of Eliza Snow. To me I gleaned from it that we are not alone in our trials and the bigger our circle of support it, the better. If I liken it to our day, I think of some catastrophic event to occur (future?). Where would I turn for support? First my family but my ward family is also very vital/important. Would we all not pull together to help each other out? I find joy and comfort in that! I find myself lifted up in my trails when I have others around me.

But atlas this is not always the case. We may find ourselves with little outside support. That is where our faith comes in. "We can start by “looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith” “in every thought.” We can give thanks for Him in our prayers and by keeping covenants we’ve made with Him and our Heavenly Father. As our Savior becomes more and more real to us and as we plead for His joy to be given to us, our joy will increase." Elder Nelson

One thing I know for sure, things may not work out for me in this life health wise, but my faith in the Plan of Salvation knows that things will work out in the end. That brings me joy.

GeeR
captain of 1,000

Post by GeeR »

Adversity is like spinach, you might not like it but it sure is good for you.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

My hearing isn't perfect, I imagine myself standing in a line to get my preexistance job list, I thought they said "files and simulations" imagine my surprise and indignation when I learned what was really called out was "trials and tribulations". Well serves me right for not paying attention to the details. How grateful I am for a loving Father in Heaven that gives me such opportunities for growth , though I would not have chosen these things had I a frame of reference for broken, I strive to remind myself to find "joy in the journey" and "looking unto Jesus" has been the only way to do it. Thank goodness for "Trials and Tribulations".

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

Christ is the prototype. " the birds have nests foxes have holes but the son of man has nowhere to lay his head" amidst the opposition he faced in his life, particularly his last three years, he was a person that when slapped in the face he could turn the other cheek. In the cruel grasp of griveous abuse he could say father forgive them for they know not what they do. He is the comforter. he is pure love. he was filled with the attributes of his Father which settled and healed for him earthly commotion all around him. We would do well to abide in him that he may abide in us that we may be redeemed in this fallen flesh and like Mormon say:

Moroni 8 ...I fear not what man can do; for perfect love casteth out all fear.
17 And I am filled with charity, which is everlasting love...

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Thank You all for your thoughts!