How To Soften Hearts

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Juliet
captain of 1,000

How To Soften Hearts

Post by Juliet »

Has anyone ever been able to invite a neighbor to come to our church and have them actually follow through all the way to being converted? I appreciated how President Uchtdorf's talk in the last general conference mentioned how the doctrine of families was one of the most attractive aspects of the fulness of the gospel.

I have tried all my life to introduce someone to the gospel. I have never been successful. I am wondering if this is typical or do some of you out there have had successful experiences. If you have, what were they? I know that the Spirit is what converts, but, what works for one may work for others. So please share your successful stories if you can.

In addition to introducing people to the church, can some of you share about success stories you have had that have helped soften people's hearts in one way or another?

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Re: How To Soften Hearts

Post by BruceRGilbert »

It has been said that people don't care how much you know unless / until they know how much you care. I have always had problems with "ulterior motives" in relationships and I feel that that is one of the things that is an obstacle about "duty" in sharing the Gospel. Being a convert and having lived completely "outside" of the LDS Culture, having been baptized in a Branch of the Church in a small, rural, farming community where everyone knew everybody including what was in their closets, having been the very first missionary to ever serve from that Branch, as well as having attended, both, Brigham Young Campuses; being in the "main stream," as it where . . . I should like to share my perspectives about "being real." Being real does not mean having an "ulterior motive" or "hidden agenda" when befriending people. Being real, as a friend, infers that there are "exchanges" in the recognition that everyone is unique and has talents and gifts, knowledge and understanding; weaknesses and shortcomings; and, most importantly, feelings.

Not everyone is going to be converted. Most people think that they are correct in their views. All relationships require "give and take" with "respect" for one another's individuality, as well as viewpoints. I believe that if we don't learn things from other people, then we have missed a great opportunity for growth. Listening is a two way street. The sharing of feelings without "condemnation" is the greatest trust that a person can attain in a "real" relationship. Real relationships are about "feelings."

I was on a plane returning back to Salt Lake City from Tulsa, Oklahoma - the home of Oral Roberts University. I happened to have opened my Bible and was reading on the plane when a young women from the other side of the isle and one row back interrupted me with a question, "What are you reading?," she asked. I responded . . ."I'm reading the Bible." She returned, "I mean, what in the Bible are you reading?" My anxiety increased somewhat in the realization that she was versed in what was within its covers. I responded, "I am reading where the Savior says that we are the salt of the earth," with insecurity as to what might follow. She, then, asked me a question which heightened my conscientiousness, "Do you know what is significant about salt?" I fumbled for a reasonable answer . . ., "Uh, it is a seasoning to spice the flavor of food . . . uh, it is a preservative . . . oh, and it can be used to tan hides." (I was obviously nervous, not knowing what to expect next. I wondered if I had passed the test.) She then responded, "Salt makes you thirsty." The light went on in my head . . . she had just shared a gem of insight to me. She continued, "Oral Roberts taught us that salt makes you thirsty." It follows; therefore, that when you are thirsty, you seek a drink for refreshment. I thanked her, because we understood one another. You and I, in order to effectively share the Gospel of Jesus Christ have got to live a life so that when people see "reality" and "sincerity," they inquire to know what makes you unique and different. (More later . . . I have to run to work.)

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Being "real" means that you treat everyone the same . . . regardless whether they are LDS or Athiest, a beggar on the street or a president of a bank - with manners and respect. The problem that I think we get ourselves into is feigned "piety." The message that this sends to people is that you think that you are better than they are. Being "real" means being "honest" with others and probably most importantly, with yourself. Very rarely do you hear those who feign piety speak anything about mistakes they made and how they overcame them. (Pride has an interesting way of rusting the hinges of the jaw in this regard.) Do we realize that that is the exact message that we need to hear? Heaven forbid that anybody have a "chink" in their "righteous armor!" @-) But . . . the truth is that we all do. :( Sometimes, for the sake of being "real," you have to share your failures and shortcomings. (Mind you, there are some guidelines when you do this . . . and it is a "mindset" that is helpful to develop: "judgment is meant for identification and NOT condemnation." Real "conversation" and real "change" takes place - because it is a very powerful thing - by confessing your failures to others because it allows the field to become "level," meaning in a very loud way, "I am not better than you are." Magic, smoke, and mirrors are going to give way to REALITY, CLARITY and WINDOWS eventually, anyway. Who has more credibility as an agent for change - someone who has overcome or someone, seeing opportunity to preach, comes over? The real battles are occurring in the trenches and not at the podiums. The most awe inspiring thing to see is the change that someone makes when they have overcome a devastating, personal problem. How infinitely valuable is the knowledge that they have gained in the process? (Falling is a very "real" and "necessary" part of learning how to walk.) How is it that we become so preoccupied with our "image" rather than our "substance?" Our "image" is only "appearance," it isn't real. What is real is beyond what is projected. REAL is "experience" and not a feigned facade or "ulterior motive" to befriend another fellow traveler through this veil of tears.

I better move on . . . I'm feeling a little too preachy in retrospect.

"The Salt of the Earth that causes People to be Thirsty."

When does it become apparent that you, as "salt" have had an effect upon another? I find it very fascinating that most of those who witness having prayed for missionary experiences are having them answered in the form of someone inquiring / asking a very pointed, direct question about LDS theology - "The Gospel." You know that you have had a "salt-effect" when someone approaches you with a question about your beliefs. Further, I find it fascinating, as an observer of people, (certainly a personal hobby of mine,) that you can recognize those who are different by the type of light, aura, spirit, disposition, demeanor, (whatever you would like to call it,) give off when you are in their presence. It is that type of an effect that I hope we are all working on. It is a manifestation of "substance." It may take the form of an endowment of "intelligence" as in "light," virtue in the form of "grace" and "poise," confidence in the form of "peace," regal serenity in the form of "love." It is the outward manifestation of an inward state of existence . . . and it ain't fake. These are the things that "attract," rather than repel, those who may be "asleep" as to their "real" identity. "Like begets like" / "Like attracts like." (For example . . . since we touched on it in the first paragraph . . . "Grace begets grace" and people don't condemn others unless they feel condemned, first.)

I really enjoyed the book by St. Exupery called, "The Little Prince." I memorized something that was said, therein, because it was another one of those "gems" that trigger an "AH HAH!" moment, "epiphany." "I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies." Wonderful stuff. (Life would be pretty boring if everyone were like me . . . so I don't try to conform them to my likeness in any way, shape or form. People seem to be developing on their own and I know for a fact that God's hands are in everything - He loves them as He loves me.)

I really hope that something I have shared has been of worth. I participate because I care. Jesus IS the Son of God.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Thank you Bruce. I do love your comments. You are deep and sincere. I really like how you say we have to be real and not appear self righteous or anything. It makes me think that the best missionary work really does happen at home, most likely in front of your kids and relatives. If there is anyone you cannot be fake toward, it is your kids! So, I suppose if you can teach them the gospel by example and teaching, then you can probably be able to do so for others as well.

It really has bothered my friend and I that at relief society, sometimes; we all put on our make up and a smile, and though we could help each other mourn and heal, we instead pretend it is all ok and so we sit together but are worlds apart. That has been changing though.

It is important to be a little vulnerable to show your weaknesses and struggles and even allow others to help you. I know I have needed lots of help from friends, and at times I tell them I feel like I am just taking from the friendship and how sorry I am, but they have told me it is ok, and even some of them have felt the same way I do! So, I think we need to let ourselves need each other a little more and be open minded like you say to their individuality and belief systems.

Sometimes we think we have all the answers and yet if we stop and listen, we learn something! In fact, sometimes, when I am stuck praying for help and cannot find help, I just go to the next person in line, and ask my husband for his advice. It is amazing, I think sometimes the Lord specifically tells our spouse the answer so we grow closer as a couple. When I first started doing this, I was a little humbled because I thought I knew my husband well enough to know he wouldn't have advice for me, but I was really wrong, and it helped me change my perspective and respect him more and respect our differences more.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

One thing I can recommend for softening hearts is to pray for hearts to be softened. For member missionary work i would advise praying to be guided to someone you know who has been prepared for the gospel.

And as has been said, be sincere! I recall once seeing a post from someone hostile to our religion. He said that if you want to see how sincere Mormons really are, act interested when they offer to share their church with you. Take a couple lessons, say you aren't interested, then see how they respond. If you really are a friend then you won't let that friendship end if the person doesn't accept the gospel. So first and foremost, be a real friend!

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

brianj wrote: March 2nd, 2017, 7:51 pm One thing I can recommend for softening hearts is to pray for hearts to be softened. For member missionary work i would advise praying to be guided to someone you know who has been prepared for the gospel.

And as has been said, be sincere! I recall once seeing a post from someone hostile to our religion. He said that if you want to see how sincere Mormons really are, act interested when they offer to share their church with you. Take a couple lessons, say you aren't interested, then see how they respond. If you really are a friend then you won't let that friendship end if the person doesn't accept the gospel. So first and foremost, be a real friend!
Prayer is another good suggestion, I really like the advice to pray to be guided to someone who is prepared, and really care, because maybe we will be guided to someone we were not thinking of right off. Maybe praying for the love in our heart to make friends first would also help. I am glad my husband knows sports because he can talk about something with people. I find myself having a hard time finding common ground with people in order to form friendships, unless there is a spiritual base.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Life is a Journey of the Heart.

Hard heart 1 Nephi 15:3
Open heart 3 Nephi 19:33, D&C 31:7
Soft heart Job 23:16
Broken heart 3 Nephi 9:20, 2 Nephi 2:7
Mighty change of heart Mosiah 5:2, Alma 5:12-14
Pure in heart 3 Nephi 12:8 And blessed are all the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

The heart is the goal.
Mathew 19:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Alma 27:36
let the affections (things that you love)of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.

Satan attacks the heart. The battle is over the heart.
1 Nephi 22:15 For behold, saith the prophet, the time cometh speedily that Satan shall have no more power over the hearts of the children of men;

Alma 28:13 And thus we see how great the inequality of man is because of sin and transgression, and the power of the devil, which comes by the cunning plans which he hath devised to ensnare the hearts of men.

The spirit will cease to strive with you when your heart is hard
Either 15:19 But behold, the Spirit of the Lord had ceased striving with them, and Satan had full power over the hearts of the people; for they were given up unto the hardness of their hearts, and the blindness of their minds that they might be destroyed; wherefore they went again to battle.

Understanding Occurs in the heart
Matthew 13:15 For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

3 nephi 19:33 And the multitude did hear and do bear record; and their hearts were open and they did understand in their hearts the words which he prayed.

Understanding will not occur if you have a hard heart, and do not pray.
Honest Real Prayer is one of the best things that we can do to open our heart

1 Nephi 15:3 For he truly spake many great things unto them, which were hard to be understood, save a man should inquire of the Lord; and they being hard in their hearts, therefore they did not look unto the Lord as they ought.

Immediate blessings follow those who soften their heart
Alma 34:31 Yea, I would that ye would come forth and harden not your hearts any longer; for behold, now is the time and the day of your salvation; and therefore, if ye will repent and harden not your hearts, immediately shall the great plan of redemption be brought about unto you.

The Lord can open hearts:
D&C 31:7 Yea, I will open the hearts of the people, and they will receive you. And I will establish a church by your hand;

The Lord can soften others hearts:
Mosiah 21:15 And now the Lord was slow to hear their cry because of their iniquities; nevertheless the Lord did hear their cries, and began to soften the hearts of the Lamanites that they began to ease their burdens; yet the Lord did not see fit to deliver them out of bondage.

The Lord can pour out his spirit in advance to prepare hearts:
Alma 16:16 And there was no inequality among them; the Lord did pour out his Spirit on all the face of the land to prepare the minds of the children of men, or to prepare their hearts to receive the word which should be taught among them at the time of his coming—

The Lord can Change Hearts
Alma 5:7 Behold, he changed their hearts; yea, he awakened them out of a deep sleep, and they awoke unto God.

Alma 19:33 that their hearts had been changed; that they had no more desire to do evil.

We have to be willing to change, and let this miracle take place in our heart.
Alma 42:30 Do not endeavor to excuse yourself in the least point because of your sins, by denying the justice of God; but do you let the justice of God, and his mercy, and his long-suffering have full sway in your heart; and let it bring you down to the dust in humility.

So what is our job?
Jarom 1:11 Wherefore, the prophets, and the priests, and the teachers, did labor diligently, exhorting with all long-suffering the people to diligence; teaching the law of Moses, and the intent for which it was given; persuading them to look forward unto the Messiah, and believe in him to come as though he already was. And after this manner did they teach them.

12 And it came to pass that by so doing they kept them from being destroyed upon the face of the land; for they did prick their hearts with the word, continually stirring them up unto repentance.

Prick there hearts, and stir them to repent, change, become.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

drtanner wrote: March 2nd, 2017, 10:02 pm Life is a Journey of the Heart.

Hard heart 1 Nephi 15:3
Open heart 3 Nephi 19:33, D&C 31:7
Soft heart Job 23:16
Broken heart 3 Nephi 9:20, 2 Nephi 2:7
Mighty change of heart Mosiah 5:2, Alma 5:12-14
Pure in heart 3 Nephi 12:8 And blessed are all the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

The heart is the goal.
Mathew 19:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Alma 27:36
let the affections (things that you love)of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.

Satan attacks the heart. The battle is over the heart.
1 Nephi 22:15 For behold, saith the prophet, the time cometh speedily that Satan shall have no more power over the hearts of the children of men;

Alma 28:13 And thus we see how great the inequality of man is because of sin and transgression, and the power of the devil, which comes by the cunning plans which he hath devised to ensnare the hearts of men.

The spirit will cease to strive with you when your heart is hard
Either 15:19 But behold, the Spirit of the Lord had ceased striving with them, and Satan had full power over the hearts of the people; for they were given up unto the hardness of their hearts, and the blindness of their minds that they might be destroyed; wherefore they went again to battle.

Understanding Occurs in the heart
Matthew 13:15 For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

3 nephi 19:33 And the multitude did hear and do bear record; and their hearts were open and they did understand in their hearts the words which he prayed.

Understanding will not occur if you have a hard heart, and do not pray.
Honest Real Prayer is one of the best things that we can do to open our heart

1 Nephi 15:3 For he truly spake many great things unto them, which were hard to be understood, save a man should inquire of the Lord; and they being hard in their hearts, therefore they did not look unto the Lord as they ought.

Immediate blessings follow those who soften their heart
Alma 34:31 Yea, I would that ye would come forth and harden not your hearts any longer; for behold, now is the time and the day of your salvation; and therefore, if ye will repent and harden not your hearts, immediately shall the great plan of redemption be brought about unto you.

The Lord can open hearts:
D&C 31:7 Yea, I will open the hearts of the people, and they will receive you. And I will establish a church by your hand;

The Lord can soften others hearts:
Mosiah 21:15 And now the Lord was slow to hear their cry because of their iniquities; nevertheless the Lord did hear their cries, and began to soften the hearts of the Lamanites that they began to ease their burdens; yet the Lord did not see fit to deliver them out of bondage.

The Lord can pour out his spirit in advance to prepare hearts:
Alma 16:16 And there was no inequality among them; the Lord did pour out his Spirit on all the face of the land to prepare the minds of the children of men, or to prepare their hearts to receive the word which should be taught among them at the time of his coming—

The Lord can Change Hearts
Alma 5:7 Behold, he changed their hearts; yea, he awakened them out of a deep sleep, and they awoke unto God.

Alma 19:33 that their hearts had been changed; that they had no more desire to do evil.

We have to be willing to change, and let this miracle take place in our heart.
Alma 42:30 Do not endeavor to excuse yourself in the least point because of your sins, by denying the justice of God; but do you let the justice of God, and his mercy, and his long-suffering have full sway in your heart; and let it bring you down to the dust in humility.

So what is our job?
Jarom 1:11 Wherefore, the prophets, and the priests, and the teachers, did labor diligently, exhorting with all long-suffering the people to diligence; teaching the law of Moses, and the intent for which it was given; persuading them to look forward unto the Messiah, and believe in him to come as though he already was. And after this manner did they teach them.

12 And it came to pass that by so doing they kept them from being destroyed upon the face of the land; for they did prick their hearts with the word, continually stirring them up unto repentance.

Prick there hearts, and stir them to repent, change, become.
Thank you, these are a lot of beautiful scriptures and it feels good to read all of these. Thanks for doing this research.

I have had a hard heart at times, and in every case it was a way of protecting myself from pain. I think pain can be the root of a lot of hardness of heart. So, maybe, learning how to heal from past pain, how to grieve and let the Lord in can help soften hearts as well. I know what did a lot to help me turn back to Christ was when someone unexpectedly showed compassion to me.

I think of that picture of the Lord knocking on the door, and He is knocking on the door of our hearts. For me, He had to knock and knock and knock and knock in order to prove that He is always there, really loves me; and so it is time to let Him in.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Why doesn't he have a key, he knows, or should know surely, my general distrust of organized religion and dislike of most people.
I mean my heart is very hard, but I've had a lot of pain, I still do, I was very close in taking that plunge (as I call it, both as a literal and as a metaphor about baptism) but I was angry at a lot of things, I used to tell BoM stories to people at work to pass the time, mostly when I ran out of my own ideas to tell.
I've not softened anyone's heart that I can recall but I have had moments where mine has been.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

BruceRGilbert wrote: March 1st, 2017, 10:46 pm It has been said that people don't care how much you know unless / until they know how much you care. I have always had problems with "ulterior motives" in relationships and I feel that that is one of the things that is an obstacle about "duty" in sharing the Gospel.
I agree with this. I don't have any good conversion stories to share, but I think that this is the key. We shouldn't seek to convert people. We should just try to become friends with many people. We should care about them sincerely without any ulterior motive. If the gospel is a natural part of our lives, it comes up in natural ways. Then it will be natural to extend invitations to our friends: invite them to church activities, tell them that we are speaking in the sacrament meeting or ask them if they would like to meet the missionaries if they have asked us about our religion. Not all will be converted, but that is why we should try to be friends with many people. This is what I struggle with. I'm not good at getting to know new people.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

"But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house"

My question is what causes us to not honor those who deserve honor. Also, is it safe to say that all roles of importance as it pertains to family(being God's kid) etc deserve honor? Does a mother father brother sister Aunt uncle a Prophet and God's kids etc have to be PERFECT before we honor them? The condition of our heart in ALL circumstances in life: iinvestigator/learner and teacher/missionary etc determines much. Yes?

Being an effective learner /investigator and teacher / missionary does this thinking speaking and acting line up with moroni 7 :45-48

--they are feigning love
--they are not as genuine as they should be.
--they have behavioral hangups that keeps me from getting close.
--too many differences
--I know who "they are" and rising above their challenges is very improbable/ impossible.

Or does this thinking line up with how moroni 7:45-48 from the stand point of effective learner / teacher roles:

--you know what-- there are some flaws there, but who does not sin and fall short...
-- Am I in thought, word, and deed gonna give that person the benefit of doubt?
-- I am gonna affirm them in their strengths not weakness?
--through such positive affirmation I am going to be patient and give them a sense of permission to live to their higher true self?

Moroni 7:45-48

45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail

47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.

48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.

Life is a battle... It is too easy as result to see beyond the mark and have a hard and hardening heart (not give honor love etc) in the role of one who needs to be teachable and one who needs to be an effective teacher.

Matthew 11:
28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek(teachable) and *lowly in heart* <<<(vast capacity to love & have a beautiful heart as a result of lack of self absorption) and ye shall find rest unto your souls.30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

1peter 3:15

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

We are all God's kids. Everyone deserves honor and love as a result. Satan stirs the heart to judgment and contention. Christ takes the less than perfect woman (people in life) taken in sin extends their vision , protects, LOVES / shows honor and such a recipient moves forward rejoicing and empowered to sin no more...

Having proper hearer and doer HEART is where it is at!

Ps I love this thread!. EVERYONE has shared beautiful insightful stuff.

Sirrocco! You are loved. I love you my brother. I feel Father's love for you and it is a beautiful thing!

We are all gonna make it enveloped in and through the giving of CHRIST's pure love! :)

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Sirocco wrote: March 2nd, 2017, 11:19 pm Why doesn't he have a key, he knows, or should know surely, my general distrust of organized religion and dislike of most people.
I mean my heart is very hard, but I've had a lot of pain, I still do, I was very close in taking that plunge (as I call it, both as a literal and as a metaphor about baptism) but I was angry at a lot of things, I used to tell BoM stories to people at work to pass the time, mostly when I ran out of my own ideas to tell.
I've not softened anyone's heart that I can recall but I have had moments where mine has been.
I actually have asked that same question. I usually don't trust people at all, especially the Master of it all, because He has the power and He still lets us suffer. One time I had a dream. All of these evil cartoonish demons full of anger and wrath started chasing me. They all said together, "we have taken the key from you". Then, I heard Jesus say, "look up! I am right here!" of course, I didn't look up and stayed lost for a while more. The trust is still in the works. Some day we will see how powerful we are and it won't bother us that we have been tested in such ways. We perhaps are forging our own key.

I also distrust organized religion so I have dug deep to make sure this is the true church. I love how President Hinckley in the lesson in Relief Society the first week of Feb or so said that the church is the mother of our faith. I like that phrase. Who isn't grateful for their mother, and yet, who had a perfect mother? I know I didn't but I am still very grateful for her giving me life and being there for me.

What really converts me is the eternal reaching out for each other through ordinances for the dead. We never give up on people. Most other churches consign people forever to hell. But our church is able to bring people out of hell after they are dead. (D&C 19 explains how hell does have an end).

I can imagine there are many hard hearted people who have passed on, who nothing will reach them except the love of a family member here on earth giving them a second chance through the temple ordinances. That is what makes me think we have the fulness of the gospel. Our church aspires all the way to heaven.

And, as I look at the authority of the brethren, they usually do not misuse it but use it to serve, which I think is what authority is for. At one point in Isaiah, God becomes angry that the garden Jerusalem wants no Master to till and prune and guard her, so He says He will let her get run down. I love that analogy because the gardener is a very good example of a righteous priesthood holder, and shows that not all dominion is oppressive, some dominion is very important in nature.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

JaredBees wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 6:35 am "But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house"

My question is what causes us to not honor those who deserve honor. Also, is it safe to say that all roles of importance as it pertains to family(being God's kid) etc deserve honor? Does a mother father brother sister Aunt uncle a Prophet and God's kids etc have to be PERFECT before we honor them? The condition of our heart in ALL circumstances in life: iinvestigator/learner and teacher/missionary etc determines much. Yes?

Being an effective learner /investigator and teacher / missionary does this thinking speaking and acting line up with moroni 7 :45-48

--they are feigning love
--too many differences
--I know who "they are" and rising above their challenges is very improbable/ impossible.

Or does this thinking line up with how moroni 7:45-48 from the stand point of effective learner / teacher roles:

--you know what-- there are some flaws there, but who does not sin and fall short...
--through such positive affirmation I am going to be patient and give them a sense of permission to live to their higher true self?

45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail

47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.

48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.

Life is a battle... It is too easy as result to see beyond the mark and have a hard and hardening heart (not give honor love etc) in the role of one who needs to be teachable and one who needs to be an effective teacher.

Matthew 11:
28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek(teachable) and *lowly in heart* <<<(vast capacity to love & have a beautiful heart as a result of lack of self absorption) and ye shall find rest unto your souls.30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

We are all God's kids. Everyone deserves honor and love as a result. Satan stirs the heart to judgment and contention. Christ takes the less than perfect woman (people in life) taken in sin extends their vision , protects, LOVES / shows honor and such a recipient moves forward rejoicing and empowered to sin no more...
It sure is our choice to see people with honor, respect, and unconditional positive regard and caring. I think most of us have a level where that ends. But it isn't supposed to. We are supposed to continue that for people no matter what. Whether it is a family member who makes bad choices or even a Hitler. Charity endures All things. That means everything. Every person, place, and thing. Complete unconditional love and complete forgiveness.

I also know how important it is to honor self and not let others hurt you out of trying to love them, something that requires a lot of discernment.

In the 13th article of faith, don't we have hope to endure All things? That can only happen with a completely transformed heart, and a Heavenly view of people and situations.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

In the instance of honor:
Acts 10:
25 And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him.
26 But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man.
27 And as he talked with him, he went in, and found many that were come together.
28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.
2 Nephi 26:
32 And again, the Lord God hath commanded that men should not murder; that they should not lie; that they should not steal; that they should not take the name of the Lord their God in vain; that they should not envy; that they should not have malice; that they should not contend one with another; that they should not commit whoredoms; and that they should do none of these things; for whoso doeth them shall perish.
33 For none of these iniquities come of the Lord; for he doeth that which is good among the children of men; and he doeth nothing save it be plain unto the children of men; and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile.
If I make allowances for myself, of necessity, I must do so for others.

(I am very grateful for that which has been shared in this thread . . . Thank you, all)

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Juliet wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 8:18 am
Sirocco wrote: March 2nd, 2017, 11:19 pm Why doesn't he have a key, he knows, or should know surely, my general distrust of organized religion and dislike of most people.
I actually have asked that same question. I usually don't trust people at all, especially the Master of it all, because He has the power and He still lets us suffer. One time I had a dream. All of these evil cartoonish demons full of anger and wrath started chasing me. They all said together, "we have taken the key from you". Then, I heard Jesus say, "look up! I am right here!" of course, I didn't look up and stayed lost for a while more. The trust is still in the works. Some day we will see how powerful we are and it won't bother us that we have been tested in such ways. We perhaps are forging our own key.

I also distrust organized religion so I have dug deep to make sure this is the true church. I love how President Hinckley in the lesson in Relief Society the first week of Feb or so said that the church is the mother of our faith. I like that phrase. Who isn't grateful for their mother, and yet, who had a perfect mother? I know I didn't but I am still very grateful for her giving me life and being there for me.

What really converts me is the eternal reaching out for each other through ordinances for the dead. We never give up on people. Most other churches consign people forever to hell. But our church is able to bring people out of hell after they are dead. (D&C 19 explains how hell does have an end).

I can imagine there are many hard hearted people who have passed on, who nothing will reach them except the love of a family member here on earth giving them a second chance through the temple ordinances. That is what makes me think we have the fulness of the gospel. Our church aspires all the way to heaven.

And, as I look at the authority of the brethren, they usually do not misuse it but use it to serve, which I think is what authority is for. At one point in Isaiah, God becomes angry that the garden Jerusalem wants no Master to till and prune and guard her, so He says He will let her get run down. I love that analogy because the gardener is a very good example of a righteous priesthood holder, and shows that not all dominion is oppressive, some dominion is very important in nature.
All the family stuff made me sad, I'm a loner and hearing all that stuff about family and marriage really bored me (as it didn't mean anything to me).
I liked other things, there was once a lady who talked about bullying, I could get that, but a lot of the church leaves me out in the cold.
Not their fault I am a single weirdo who lives alone away from my parents lol
The people are so different then me, when I last went they didn't seem to know how to relate to me, though that one didn't have any single men in it so it would make sense (it was a small one, only 1 set of missionaries, the one where I live now has 3 sets).

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Juliet wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 8:28 am
JaredBees wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 6:35 am "But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house"

--they are feigning love
--too many differences

Matthew 11:

It sure is our choice to see people with honor, respect, and unconditional positive regard and caring. I think most of us have a level where that ends. But it isn't supposed to. We are supposed to continue that for people no matter what. Whether it is a family member who makes bad choices or even a Hitler. Charity endures All things. That means everything. Every person, place, and thing. Complete unconditional love and complete forgiveness.

I also know how important it is to honor self and not let others hurt you out of trying to love them, something that requires a lot of discernment.

In the 13th article of faith, don't we have hope to endure All things? That can only happen with a completely transformed heart, and a Heavenly view of people and situations.

So very true. :)

Christ will forgive who he will. We're commanded to forgive all. That is not the same as we have to trust all. Forgiving all doesn't mean not taking protective measures where it is healthy and right.

Satan's great tool Pride / enmity is for us to always be bent out of shape through an unforgiving grudge holding despondent heart. Any Wonder Christ wants us to be protected and healed with the increase of righteousness and his love when we forgive and place the burden at his feet? How else can we shine the attractive light of the Great Forgiver and Healer and Lover of our souls if we ourselves do not emanate through his grace-- similar light. Praise to Christ. He is the way the truth and the life/light!

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

BruceRGilbert wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 9:08 am In the instance of honor:
Acts 10:
25 And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him.
26 But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man.
27 And as he talked with him, he went in, and found many that were come together.
28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.
2 Nephi 26:
32 And again, the Lord God hath commanded that men should not murder; that they should not lie; that they should not steal; that they should not take the name of the Lord their God in vain; that they should not envy; that they should not have malice; that they should not contend one with another; that they should not commit whoredoms; and that they should do none of these things; for whoso doeth them shall perish.
33 For none of these iniquities come of the Lord; for he doeth that which is good among the children of men; and he doeth nothing save it be plain unto the children of men; and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile.
If I make allowances for myself, of necessity, I must do so for others.

(I am very grateful for that which has been shared in this thread . . . Thank you, all)
Great stuff!

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Sirocco wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 9:08 am
Juliet wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 8:18 am

All the family stuff made me sad, I'm a loner and hearing all that stuff about family and marriage really bored me (as it didn't mean anything to me).
I liked other things, there was once a lady who talked about bullying, I could get that, but a lot of the church leaves me out in the cold.
Not their fault I am a single weirdo who lives alone away from my parents lol
The people are so different then me, when I last went they didn't seem to know how to relate to me, though that one didn't have any single men in it so it would make sense (it was a small one, only 1 set of missionaries, the one where I live now has 3 sets).
Your comments make me wonder how do we break the ice with people who are different? What kinds of things can we all relate with? I sometimes feel like a loner because I have a family and most of the relief society are not in my situation. Being married with young kids is now a minority, and to ever talk about marriage or children is taboo because it makes it hard for those who are single and wish to be married badly, those divorced and hurt from marriage; and those who want to have kids badly but can't. We can't even talk about motherhood on Mother's Day! All of the homemaking activities have nothing to do with homemaking, and I really could use help in that area! It used to be everybody had similar lives. Now, we are all so different from each other. One thing we do have in common though, is we all feel. And, we all need to encourage each other.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

God's kingdom may it come quickly on earth as it is in heaven. How beautiful the day when God's kingdom dwells within us as a collective whole in Zion. Every mind and heart knit and one and overflowing with fathers love... Until then-- bloom where we are planted through Christ. Plenty of life sustaining fruit to be given through Jesus in an other wise love and peace and joy opposed setting / our second estate.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

I learned homemaking skills from the internet lol
Someone had to sew my pants and roast my beef... And the task fell to me :))

Both the Wards I went to were very family heavy, so I guess that's good for them, I know the first one I was at, I was the only single person there, that was over like 15 and not a missionary lol.
The second one I didn't go much to since I moved farther from it and the bus ride there was way too long.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Last edited by BruceRGilbert on March 13th, 2017, 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

BruceRGilbert wrote: March 4th, 2017, 8:41 am This particular thread is about "HEARTS" and much good information has been shared about this . . . and the importance of "feelings." I wanted to share some things that have been shared with me through the Spirit . . .Please understand that when I use that term, it references two: The Holy Ghost and The Spirit of Christ. (I have come to realize the difference in "ministrations." We receive one when we are "converted," and the other, when we worthily partake of the sacrament - which is also mentioned in this presentation.) That which has been "freely" shared with me, do I likewise . . . in the negation of the very appearance of "priestcraft." I apologize in advance for the lack of "professionalism" in this presentation . . . I am still learning. I am very open to suggestions and ideas on how to make this better . . . and feel free to share it, if you would like. May it be as delicious to you as it was to me when the eyes of my understanding were opened.

The "Shikinah Glory" which is depicted in the beginning of this presentation about the Tabernacle of Moses, ("An Aaronic Temple,") was the indication of God's presence and approbation. Note that it was centered over the "Holy of Holies." At the conclusion of the presentation, it is my hope that you will gain insight and understanding as to why this is "figuratively" and "literally" so. Too, I neglected to speak of the Outer Courtyard, having the "Altar of Sacrifice" and the "Laver of Water." (Obedience and Sacrifice in a "Telestial World.") [It is just over 9 minutes long.]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/asVideo/Format2 ... 000-Z1.mp4
This is a great presentation and I had chills a lot through it. I really think we need to understand this, because how many of us are cut off between our hearts and minds. We need to have that way opened up again because that is where we are nourished. Thank you very much for this presentation.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Sirocco wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 8:24 pm I learned homemaking skills from the internet lol
Someone had to sew my pants and roast my beef... And the task fell to me :))

Both the Wards I went to were very family heavy, so I guess that's good for them, I know the first one I was at, I was the only single person there, that was over like 15 and not a missionary lol.
The second one I didn't go much to since I moved farther from it and the bus ride there was way too long.
Well good job learning those things. I still can't make a good roast beef. I finally made some tender and tasty steaks. It took enough master chef episodes for finally figure that out. One thing I can do is pressure cook dry beans, and that; I am proud of :)

That must have been hard to be the only single person in the whole ward. I know when my husband and I got married, he said he hated having to listen to those talks on how you should be getting married, they used to drive him crazy!

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Last edited by BruceRGilbert on March 13th, 2017, 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

BruceRGilbert wrote: March 4th, 2017, 4:13 pm
Juliet wrote:
This is a great presentation and I had chills a lot through it. I really think we need to understand this, because how many of us are cut off between our hearts and minds. We need to have that way opened up again because that is where we are nourished. Thank you very much for this presentation.
Thank you, Juliet. I think that I could have allowed more time before changing slides in a few spots . . . I don't know if there is sufficient to permit the viewer to read the information.

It seems to me that Heavenly Father and the Savior are continually trying to get us "connected." This "theme," if you would, is repeated in the structure of the family. (Please read between the lines and understand that "woman" is given to man as a "Help-meet." There is a difference between what is spoken to the women and the man in the "Initiatory.")

Man is the "Head" of the home . . . only in that he is the "mind." The woman is the "Heart" of the home. The "symbolism" of Eve being taken from the "rib" of Adam is imperative in understanding what it takes for "a man" to become whole and "a woman" to become complete.

I pray and hope that Our Eternal Parents while assist us in causing a "resonant" awakening in the need to have our "thoughts" and "feelings" be congruent; not divided - that we may be connected; "real" and "whole"

God bless all of those who perceive the wisdom, His wisdom, in having it so.
Yes, I had to pause it a few times, because the information is so good. I love understanding the symbolism of the temple. I know for that awakening, it really takes a lot of respect and patience. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I have read in the book "Feelings Buried Alive Never Die" explain how the feelings if the right brain, and the thoughts are the left brain, and it makes me thing of the scriptures that talk about being single minded in order to receive the glory of God. The right and left brain have to work together. I also like to take think of that in the temple, and think about how everything on the right symbolizes the left brain which is male (because the left brain controls the right half of the body and vice versa), and everything on the left symbolizes the right brain which is the female. I honestly think the power to create with our minds will come from having our thoughts and emotions aligned so God's will can be done, along with the priesthood authority and keys of creation.