How To Soften Hearts

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Sirocco
Praise Me!

Re: How To Soften Hearts

Post by Sirocco »

Juliet wrote: March 4th, 2017, 1:02 pm
Sirocco wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 8:24 pm I learned homemaking skills from the internet lol
Someone had to sew my pants and roast my beef... And the task fell to me :))

Both the Wards I went to were very family heavy, so I guess that's good for them, I know the first one I was at, I was the only single person there, that was over like 15 and not a missionary lol.
The second one I didn't go much to since I moved farther from it and the bus ride there was way too long.
Well good job learning those things. I still can't make a good roast beef. I finally made some tender and tasty steaks. It took enough master chef episodes for finally figure that out. One thing I can do is pressure cook dry beans, and that; I am proud of :)

That must have been hard to be the only single person in the whole ward. I know when my husband and I got married, he said he hated having to listen to those talks on how you should be getting married, they used to drive him crazy!
No one ever brought it up to me, I guess they understood it'd be a pretty cruel thing to do lol
No idea of the ratio of the ward here, I know there are young people here, but I am trying to court a girl, it's not going well but she's impossible to read so I really have no idea how its going.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Sirocco wrote: March 4th, 2017, 9:32 pm
Juliet wrote: March 4th, 2017, 1:02 pm
Sirocco wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 8:24 pm I learned homemaking skills from the internet lol
Someone had to sew my pants and roast my beef... And the task fell to me :))

Both the Wards I went to were very family heavy, so I guess that's good for them, I know the first one I was at, I was the only single person there, that was over like 15 and not a missionary lol.
The second one I didn't go much to since I moved farther from it and the bus ride there was way too long.
Well good job learning those things. I still can't make a good roast beef. I finally made some tender and tasty steaks. It took enough master chef episodes for finally figure that out. One thing I can do is pressure cook dry beans, and that; I am proud of :)

That must have been hard to be the only single person in the whole ward. I know when my husband and I got married, he said he hated having to listen to those talks on how you should be getting married, they used to drive him crazy!
No one ever brought it up to me, I guess they understood it'd be a pretty cruel thing to do lol
No idea of the ratio of the ward here, I know there are young people here, but I am trying to court a girl, it's not going well but she's impossible to read so I really have no idea how its going.
If you can get her to talk about her feelings, and listen, and then say a sincere compliment to her, then you will have figured out how to get along with a woman. But don't be like me and feel like a failure just because someone isn't the right match. Good luck, it is a hard game. Luckily the game ends after marriage and the facade comes off and you realize everybody has stinky feet no matter how much you try to cover it up. : ) But then you realize that even your worth feeling loved even though you have stinky feet too.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

I have a powder for my feet :))

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Last edited by BruceRGilbert on March 13th, 2017, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

I think that I am now able to address the topic of this thread without hijacking it. (Thank you, Juliet for your patience.)

The shortest verse in all canonized scripture is one of great significance:
John 11:
35 Jesus wept.
The Son of God wept, not because He wasn't in control or because He didn't know what would transpire - but because He is "tender hearted." Having empathy, He is the "Great High Priest" that is touched with our sadness and sorrow. He was in the moment . . . and certainly that speaks volumes for someone of His stature and capability.

In another context, when it was He who authored a request, please consider:
Mark 14:
32 And they came to a place which was named Gethsemane: and he saith to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I shall pray.
33 And he taketh with him Peter and James and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy;
34 And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch.
35 And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.
36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.
37 And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour?
Certainly, when we partake of the His sacrament, do we earnestly remember the broken flesh and the issue of blood that He shed on our behalf? Do we "tarry there, and watch" in the moment with our attention affixed to the suffering and devastation of the One who did no wrong? If we learn anything about suffering and sorrow in this life, does it not "wring-out" our souls to "remember" what transpired to The Innocent, The Holy, and The Pure? Or . . . are we, too, found "sleeping" and "inattentive" that we "couldst not watch one hour?" The virtues of sympathy, compassion and empathy begin by pondering the sufferings of innocence.

It grieves me that my desire is to run and raise the "Sufferer" up and ease His burden, when in reality it is I who am partially to blame for His suffering and the weight of His burden. How I am straightened to be a better man; a better son! I despise my hypocrisy and weaknesses. I care that I am, when others do not.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

(I am grateful to WhereCanITurn4Peace who years ago shared this beautiful, touching rendition on this Forum)

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Juliet wrote: Thank you Bruce. I do love your comments. You are deep and sincere.
(Thank you, Juliet.)
From the Prophet, Joseph Smith:
“The things of God are of deep import; and time, and experience, and careful and ponderous and solemn thoughts can only find them out. Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. How much more dignified and noble are the thoughts of God, than the vain imaginations of the human heart! …
“… Let honesty, and sobriety, and candor, and solemnity, and virtue, and pureness, and meekness, and simplicity crown our heads in every place; and in fine, become as little children, without malice, guile or hypocrisy. And now, brethren, *after your tribulations, if you do these things, and exercise fervent prayer and faith in the sight of God always, He shall give unto you knowledge by His Holy Spirit, yea by the unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost
( History of the Church, 3:295–96; paragraph divisions altered; from a letter from Joseph Smith and others to Edward Partridge and the Church, Mar. 20, 1839, Liberty Jail, Liberty, Missouri; parts of this letter were later included in the Doctrine and Covenants as sections 121, 122, and 123.)

* Trials of Faith, Abrahamic Test/s.

The Radio Station Analogy

Generally speaking, the Holy Ghost will relay the messages from The Savior and The Father, but on occasion, The Savior will "intervene." (One can "recognize" the change in ministration - "a unique Word.")

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Last edited by BruceRGilbert on March 13th, 2017, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Thank you, I love those songs. I give you permission to hijack the thread BruceRGilbert.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

Thank you for your posts, BruceRGilbert. I appreciate many of your comments, you bring a wise and honorable spirit here on the forum.

Juliet, thank you for a thoughtful and kind thread.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

Juliet,

This probably isn't helpful but maybe it offers solace: Some people aren't ready, and that's ok. They will remember you in the future and seek you out because they will remember the seed you planted.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Red wrote: March 8th, 2017, 9:45 pm Juliet,

This probably isn't helpful but maybe it offers solace: Some people aren't ready, and that's ok. They will remember you in the future and seek you out because they will remember the seed you planted.
Thank you so much. I suppose patience is a major ingredient in the recipe of the development of souls.