The Significance of the Truth of the Book of Mormon

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Yod
captain of 100

The Significance of the Truth of the Book of Mormon

Post by Yod »

1 Nephi 13:40-41
And the angel spake unto me, saying: These last records, which thou hast seen among the Gentiles, shall establish the truth of the first, which are of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, and shall make known the plain and precious things which have been taken away from them; and shall make known to all kindreds, tongues, and people, that the Lamb of God is the Eternal Father, and the Savior of the world; and that all men must come unto him, or they cannot be saved.

And they must come according to the words which shall be established by the mouth of the Lamb; and the words of the Lamb shall be made known in the records of thy seed, as well as in the records of the twelve apostles of the Lamb; wherefore they both shall be established in one; for there is one God and one Shepherd over all the earth.
What are the words established by the mouth of Jesus which are made known in the Book of Mormon and in the New Testament?

Those are the words by which all men, us included, must come unto Christ or we cannot be saved.

Those words, spoken by the mouth of Jesus, are found in Luke 6:20-49, Matthew chapters 5 through 7, and 3 Nephi chapters 12 through 14.

We know those are the words which we must observe to do to come to Jesus because of what Jesus said by his own mouth as recorded in the Book of Mormon.
3 Nephi 14
24 Therefore, whoso heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, who built his house upon a rock—

25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not, for it was founded upon a rock.

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them not shall be likened unto a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand—

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell, and great was the fall of it.
A man would be far better served to observe to strictly and literally keep and to teach the commandments of Jesus Christ found in 3 Nephi chapters 12 through 14 than he would to spend his life establishing the ancient provenance of the Book of Mormon without observing to do nor teach them.
JST Matthew 5
Matt 5:21 Whosoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments and shall teach men so to do, he shall in no wise be saved in the kingdom of heaven; but whosoever shall do and teach these commandments of the law until it be fulfilled, the same shall be called great and shall be saved in the kingdom of heaven.

Matt 5:22 For I say unto you, except your righteousness shall exceed that of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Yod
captain of 100

Re: The Significance of the Truth of the Book of Mormon

Post by Yod »

And also an explanation for why more scripture has not been forthcoming is to be found therein.
3 Nephi 16
6 And now there cannot be written in this book even a hundredth part of the things which Jesus did truly teach unto the people;

7 But behold the plates of Nephi do contain the more part of the things which he taught the people.

8 And these things have I written, which are a lesser part of the things which he taught the people; and I have written them to the intent that they may be brought again unto this people, from the Gentiles, according to the words which Jesus hath spoken.

9 And when they shall have received this, which is expedient that they should have first, to try their faith, and if it shall so be that they shall believe these things then shall the greater things be made manifest unto them.

10 And if it so be that they will not believe these things, then shall the greater things be withheld from them, unto their condemnation.

11 Behold, I was about to write them, all which were engraven upon the plates of Nephi, but the Lord forbade it, saying: I will try the faith of my people.
Our faith is fairly tried when we have the commandments of the Lord Jesus Christ before us and many evidences from scholars and apologists who have so diligently labored to persuade us that they are authentic. If we do not do what the Lord Jesus Christ said, having so many evidences before us of the ancient provenance of the texts containing his commandments, it is because we do not have faith in him, and that is why we don't receive more.

If you believed him and his teachings and his commandments, you would do what he said to do.
JST Luke 8:18 Take heed, therefore, how ye hear; for whosoever receiveth, to him shall be given; and whosoever receiveth not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.