What Is the Lesson to Us in Judas Iscariot?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Different
captain of 100

Re: What Is the Lesson to Us in Judas Iscariot?

Post by Different »

One lesson learned, the wages of sin is death.
:p

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

To wake up and smell the roses.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

"40 And he loveth those who will have him to be their God. Behold, he loved our fathers, and he covenanted with them, yea, even Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and he remembered the covenants which he had made; wherefore, he did bring them out of the land of Egypt.
" (1nep17)

somehow by his choice he iscariot didnt have the lord to be his god.
:-B

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Yod wrote: February 27th, 2017, 7:50 am
inho wrote: February 27th, 2017, 7:48 am
Yod wrote: February 27th, 2017, 7:27 am 1. It is foolishness to trust in those whom God has called; any one or more of them could be traitors to God.
2. You can't say that God wouldn't do that, because God has demonstrably done that.
What is the purpose of the calling, if those who they are called to serve are not to trust them?
That's a good question. Do the scriptures answer why God calls traitors as servants? Why did God call Judas?

God also made provisions for removing traitors in high places in the D&C. Maybe the possibility that God calls traitors to high places is a relevant idea. Why would God make such provisions?
Look, Christ knew Judas would betray him from the get-go. Just like God the Father knew that Lucifer would turn against him, the Lord knew Judas would turn against him. Since Lucifer became Satan, he was cast out along with his followers to the earth to tempt us to see if we would continue to support God and his plan. How else could God say, "this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man?"

Matthew 26:21
21 And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

https://www.lds.org/manual/new-testamen ... 9?lang=eng
No one is foreordained to do evil—Judas chose to betray the Savior. The Joseph Smith Translation explains that one reason for Judas’s betrayal was the doctrine the Savior taught: “Nevertheless, Judas Iscariot, even one of the twelve, went unto the chief priests to betray Jesus unto them; for he turned away from him, and was offended because of his words” (Joseph Smith Translation, Mark 14:31; compare Mark 14:10, footnote a).

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

" 30 And he said unto Judas Iscariot, What thou doest, do quickly; but beware of innocent blood.

31 Nevertheless, Judas Iscariot, even one of the twelve, went unto the chief priests to betray Jesus unto them; for he turned away from him, and was offended because of his words.
"
(inspired version mark 14 )

"
He then lying on Jesus’ breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it? Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon. And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly (John 13:20-27).

It is important to understand what is taking place in this particular narrative. By extending a “sop”, Jesus is doing much more than simply offering food to Judas Iscariot. He is symbolically teaching an important gospel principle, one that is very difficult to apply in our lives. Donna Nielsen explains:

.... When one prepared such a mouthful and handed it to another at the table, it was a sign of friendship. In some parts of the Middle East, this “sop” is called “the bread of friendship.” 1

Jesus showed perfect love towards Judas, even in the midst of his pending betrayal. This is difficult to emulate. Through this one act, Jesus demonstrated to his disciples that his love is more powerful that Judas’ hatred.

Judas as a symbol

This brings us to another idea, one where we see ourselves symbolically as Judas. Each time we take the sacrament, we accept Jesus’ love for us. In one way, we are like Judas. The Savior extends his deepest love for us by offering the “bread of friendship” through the ordinance of the sacrament....

Jesus extends his love to all. Even the to the most unholy of humanity does Jesus extend his arms of mercy (3 Nephi 30:2; Mosiah 10:11-18; Alma 26:5,22-33, 37; Jacob 6:4). This message is powerfully taught in the Book of Mormon through the course of the lives and missionary efforts of Alma and the sons of Mosiah as well. Extending mercy to the Judas’ of our lives is difficult, but in so doing, we become more like the Savior we wish to emulate.
"
https://ldsscriptureteachings.org/2012/ ... -of-jesus/
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... %20quickly
:-B

Sasquatch
captain of 50

Post by Sasquatch »

The lesson is that greed leads to betraying the most important people in your life.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Possibly, but I would think his betrayal of one so close was less about money and more about jealousy, pride and resentments. Not knowing the inner dynamics of the apostles relationships he may have felt the Lord favored others , the emotions trump money IMHO.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Older/wiser? wrote: March 31st, 2017, 1:42 am Possibly, but I would think his betrayal of one so close was less about money and more about jealousy, pride and resentments. Not knowing the inner dynamics of the apostles relationships he may have felt the Lord favored others , the emotions trump money IMHO.
I agree with you. I don't think it had anything to do with money either.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

inho wrote: February 27th, 2017, 9:41 am
Yod wrote: February 27th, 2017, 7:50 am Do the scriptures answer why God calls traitors as servants? Why did God call Judas?
I assume Judas was worthy at the time of the call. If the omniscient God had not called him knowing he would became traotor, would that taken away Judas' agency?
Of course he was worthy, I believe he probably earned the privilege or proved valiant in the prexistance . Do the things we do here or now effect what we receive in the next life? And is our circle of friends or relationships the same or continued from the prexistance. We know the Lord had relationships with Peter, James and John . I would think He did with all the apostles. Doing the right thing for the wrong reason gives a glimpse into ones heart, when the women with the spiknard anointed Jesus , it seems Judas used again the excuse of "money for the poor" as a reason why not to honor the Lord, instead of taking joy in one loving and recognizing the Lord as he should have. His heart betrayed the Lord before he ever followed through with the betrayal of money.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

Maybe I missed it somehow, but why isn't anyone talking about how Judas was possessed by Satan in order to betray Christ? And that Judas' role in life was to be the betrayer?

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Red wrote: March 31st, 2017, 12:36 pm And that Judas' role in life was to be the betrayer?
He played that role, but I don't think that he was meant to do it. I don't believe that people are foreordained to do wicked things.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

If you go back and read John 13, it seems to support that it was a chosen role. Christ chose his role, why can't Judas? We all knew our paths in the Pre-existence, why couldn't Judas have known this in the Pre-existence? Also, in those days, no one knew who Christ was unless they believed in Christ or they were close to him. A good person would have had to be the one to betray him bc the wicked did not know who he was. No one in their right mind would deny Christ, hence Judas was possessed.

John 13:27 (speaking of Judas) And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.

There's no JST footnote for the word "entered" and the "Satan" footnote refers to the word devil in the TG. So if Satan didn't enter Judas, then what does the verse mean?

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

inho wrote: March 31st, 2017, 12:41 pm
Red wrote: March 31st, 2017, 12:36 pm And that Judas' role in life was to be the betrayer?
He played that role, but I don't think that he was meant to do it. I don't believe that people are foreordained to do wicked things.
Oh and technically it wasn't him doing the wicked thing. It was Satan. That's why Judas killed himself. He realized what he had done when he didn't know what he was doing.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

I posted in another thread about the recurring concept throughout the scriptures that of the younger son receiving the birthright. This meme repeats throughout the scriptures because it's an important eternal principle. The age of your spirit does not equal seniority with God. Your seniority or position with God is a function of time and light. If you are gaining light faster than an older spirit, then you will ascend faster. What is the other side of this principle? Pride.

I don't know that this necessarily applies to Judas, but I'm pretty sure I had a good reason for posting this. :B

The principle is this - far into your spiritual progression, you can still fall. Pride is a huge causation for this. Judas' agency was respected just like everyone's always is - however, it's hard not to feel like maybe Jesus chose someone He knew would betray Him.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

I re-read the OP and I think that the lesson to us Is that God's grace is infinite and that the Atonement works for us all, even Judas. I believe there's a place in the "celestial" kingdom for Judas.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Red wrote: March 31st, 2017, 1:55 pm I re-read the OP and I think that the lesson to us Is that God's grace is infinite and that the Atonement works for us all, even Judas. I believe there's a place in the "celestial" kingdom for Judas.
I'm not against that idea at all, although my beliefs on eternal progression are different than many LDS as I believe MMP is a part of the process. You have to ascend through levels of spirituality and can have a bad run anywhere along the way that may delay but won't necessarily stop you as long as you endure to the end i.e. never give up.

Obviously suicide is not a good thing, but it shows that he at least had remorse. Sons of perdition imho are those whose pride has gotten the better of them and openly rebel - openly fight against the Lamb.

And the poster who mentioned Sop being a sign of love was spot on. Jesus had no problem showing anger when the situation called for it.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Red wrote: March 31st, 2017, 12:36 pm Maybe I missed it somehow, but why isn't anyone talking about how Judas was possessed by Satan in order to betray Christ? And that Judas' role in life was to be the betrayer?
I don't believe in the doctrine that we can blame Satan for our actions. Evil doesn't exist because of Satan. Satan uses the evil that is in the hearts of mankind and tempts mankind to act on their evil dispositions, but, even without a tempter, mankind is still capable of committing evil. In other words, we can only be tempted to do some evil if that evil already exist in our hearts. If we don't have anything evil in our hearts, Satan has no power to tempt us. I like how the Encyclopedia of Mormonism puts this:
EofM wrote:When Satan tempts a person to do evil, there are limits to what Satan can accomplish. He can put before a person any kind of evil opportunity, but that evil is enticing only if the person tempted already desires that thing. When people are tempted, it is actually by their own lusts (James 1:12-15).

Satan has power on earth only as individual persons give it to him by succumbing to his temptations (TPJS, p. 187). The agency of human beings is to choose righteousness through the Holy Spirit of God or to choose selfishness through the flesh by succumbing to Satan's temptations (2 Ne. 2:26-29). (Human flesh is not evil, but Satan may tempt humans through their flesh.)
-Finrock