Do the Ten Commandments Still Apply?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Yod
captain of 100

Re: Do the Ten Commandments Still Apply?

Post by Yod »

Finrock wrote:
Yod wrote: What is the process?
Do you not know?

-Finrock
What I do not know is whether you know, as you have not taught it that I have seen. Since you hold yourself out as a teacher, as I observed in another thread, it is appropriate to see if you're competent in your claimed field of knowledge.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Yod wrote:
Finrock wrote:
Do you not know?

-Finrock
What I do not know is whether you know, as you have not taught it that I have seen. Since you hold yourself out as a teacher, as I observed in another thread, it is appropriate to see if you're competent in your claimed field of knowledge.
If you know then you don't need me to teach you. You could only know if I'm competent if you already know.

-Finrock

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Finrock wrote:
Yod wrote:
Finrock wrote:
Do you not know?

-Finrock
If you know then you don't need me to teach you. You could only know if I'm competent if you already know.

-Finrock
I am not asking you to teach me. As it is written, we are to trust none as our ministers nor our teachers except they be men of God, walking in his ways, and keeping his commandments. Since you hold yourself out as a teacher to these others, and explicitly so, it is fair to see if you are competent in your claimed field of knowledge. I am asking you what the process is because thus far, you have not taught it.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Yod wrote:
Finrock wrote:
Yod wrote:
Finrock wrote:
Do you not know?

-Finrock

-Finrock
I am not asking you to teach me. As it is written, we are to trust none as our ministers nor our teachers except they be men of God, walking in his ways, and keeping his commandments. Since you hold yourself out as a teacher to these others, and explicitly so, it is fair to see if you are competent in your claimed field of knowledge. I am asking you what the process is because thus far, you have not taught it.
Let me qoute what I think you are referring so that we have the proper context here:
Finrock wrote:I do have things to teach others, especially the things that the Spirit has asked me to teach and to say. For sure I am a teacher for those who hear, I just don't always know who those people are. Some people don't have anything that they can teach me. Some people do have things that they can teach me.
I would like to clarify something first. When you started this thread did you do it with the intent of asking a question that you did not know the answer to or did you do it with the intent of using the question as an opportunity to impart some knowledge that you have?

In other words, do you sincerely wonder if the 10 Commandments are relevant or were you looking to teach us something or looking to debate, or something else. Please clarify you intent and motivation.

Thank you!

-Finrock

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

When you answer my question without evasion, then I will answer yours.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Yod wrote:When you answer my question without evasion, then I will answer yours.
Done, and done. Meaning, I've already answered your questions without evasion in this very thread (shortened and condensed version) and you've, in fact, already answered mine. I'll also direct you to this thread where we (myself included) hash this process out pretty thoroughly: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43369&hilit=baptism+by+fire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. However, clearly you've rejected what I've taught, by your own admission you don't need me to teach you, and it is pretty apparent that you were not asking questions in order to seek an answer but rather your intent is/was to teach me/others something and/or to debate. If I'm right (I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I'm open to being corrected) wouldn't that be ironic? It feels like to me you've employed faux ignorance and baiting in this thread, which, if true, aren't honorable tools. I responded to this thread with pure intent, thinking you were asking a sincere question, but then it started feeling like you had ulterior motives and designs and it still does.

In any case, if I'm wrong, I'll apologize and take back my words. And at any time I'll be happy to entertain any sincere questions you might have about what I've taught in this thread or in any other thread you might come across, proposed to me with pure intent, but just recognize that I, personally, am not looking to debate, argue, or to spar with you, or to take part in some intellectual exercise, or anything of the sort. I'll be happy to share things that I've learned by experience and even provide you with some of my speculations, but, if you are sincerely looking for answers, then God is the best source and whatever God tells you through the Spirit, then that is what you ought to believe and go with.

-Finrock

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Since you have not answered my question without evasion, neither shall I answer yours.

There are, of course, other threads for you to accuse others of dishonor in, and teach whichever student will listen to you.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Yod wrote:
braingrunt wrote:
Yod wrote:No semantics.

If someone says keeping the commandments is impossible, they are only saying they, themselves, find it impossible to keep them, and therefore they, themselves, do not keep them.

And if they don't keep the commandments, we had ought not give any weight to their words, right? That is, we should not trust them in anything they say pertaining to the Gospel.

I mean, the scriptures say this.
Mosiah 23:14 And also trust no one to be your teacher nor your minister, except he be a man of God, walking in his ways and keeping his commandments.
I think I disagree. They ARE definitely acknowledging their imperfection and everyone else's. I might wish for them to adopt different semantics but I fully allow that they might be progressing in the commandments very well, and encouraging others to do so as well. If so, semantics aside, I find no fault with them.

I have this feeling like you are trying to drive a point somewhere which I can't fully see.

Revised bottom line statement: We can and must progress in keep the commandments AND in obtaining forgiveness. Do you accept that phrasing? If not, what do you find wrong with it?
I appreciate that you feel that I am driving a point somewhere you cannot fully see. You are honest in so saying.

The question is better answered this way: In this thread, we have listed the Ten Commandments; there is another set of commandments, the Sermon on the Mount, which also apply, and are repeated thrice in scripture.

Inasmuch as we become aware of the commandments of God, and obey them once we receive them, then all is well. If we reject them instead, then we fall into the category of rebels, says Abinadi, who cannot be redeemed.

So what are the commandments of God? Or, more particularly, what are the commandments of Jesus Christ?

And what do they mean?
Whenever I think of these deep questions such as "what is love," and "how does obedience fit into that ultimate commandment to love," I think of my own experience as a parent and apply that to how God feels and how he relates to us. Children - do they really love their parents, or do they just love being loved by their parents? How do you know if your child really loves you? At some point you would like your child to show respectful behavior, not just because of an anticipated reward or a dreaded punishment, but you'd hope your child would comprehend, accept, and appreciate you for who you are, and give loving behaviors out of a feeling of love, respect and appreciation. You'd like to see your child sacrifice, be generous, and at times put your desires above his or her own. The commandments are rules Father in Heaven gives us to help us know how to love Him and others. If you wonder why a certain commandment is necessary to show God love, then you just need to think about it long enough, and pray for understanding, and you will see how and why each one of God's commands teach us to love.

Children are all naturally selfish. And this is what is the opposite of love is in my opinion, when you think about yourself and what you want ABOVE the wants and needs of another. Teaching children to love and respect and appreciate someone else is a difficult task. Rules or commandments are there to teach behavior that is loving and respectful, and then the next level is doing those behaviors motivated by love and not motivated by selfishness or fear.
Last edited by Sarah on February 24th, 2017, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Sarah wrote:Children are all naturally selfish. And this is what is the opposite of love in my opinion, when you think about yourself and what you want ABOVE the wants and needs of another.
So, for example, Jesus commanded us to not lay up treasures upon earth, where moth and rust corrupt, and thieves break through and steal, but rather to lay up treasure in heaven, where no moth nor rust corrupts, and neither do thieves break through and steal - for where your treasure is, says Jesus, there will your heart be also.

Because, of course, when we lay up goods / money / food / substance for ourselves, we are withholding it from others, and not because we have need, either, but because we are fearful that we might not have enough for ourselves, and selfish - esteeming ours fears above the needs of others. Therefore, we had not ought to store up goods / money / food / substance for ourselves, correct? But we should rather distribute our excess possessions - our stores of food / money / goods / substance - to those who are in need, right? Indeed, did not Jesus say that's how we lay up treasure in heaven?

Might this have something to do with the tenth commandment? And the second Great Commandment, loving our neighbor as ourselves?

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Yod wrote:
Sarah wrote:Children are all naturally selfish. And this is what is the opposite of love in my opinion, when you think about yourself and what you want ABOVE the wants and needs of another.
So, for example, Jesus commanded us to not lay up treasures upon earth, where moth and rust do corrupt, and theives break through and steal, but rather to lay up treasure in heaven, where moth nor rust corrupts, and neither to theives break through and steal - for where your treasure is, says Jesus, there will your heart be also.

Because, of course, when we lay up goods / money / food / substance for ourselves, we are withholding it from others, and not because we have need, either, but because we are fearful that we might not have enough for ourselves, and selfish - esteeming ours fears above the needs of others. Therefore, we had not ought to store up goods / money / food / substance for ourselves, correct? But we should rather distribute our excess possessions - our stores of food / money / goods / substance - to those who are in need, right?
It is all about motivation. Every behavior can be good or bad depending on whether or not God commands it and what your motivation is for doing that behavior. So, when I read the phrase, "laying up treasure on earth" I interpret that to mean that our earthly things should not be our "treasure," meaning our precious idol or the thing that we treasure, and that which we place value above heavenly treasures. Having and cultivating substance is not wrong if your heart is not placed on that desired "treasure" but you consider it a means to an end - to obey other commandments or to show love to God and others in other ways. Often earthly goods or substance is a blessing the Lord provides the righteous for their obedience and sacrifice. You see this with the Lord blessing Abraham.

I don't agree with your last paragraph that it is selfish to prepare for a rainy day because we could be giving that money or food to someone else. Again, think of the parent/child analogy. Is the parent being selfish and unloving by not giving everything he has to his child? Of course not. The parent must have boundaries that govern his giving to his child, and God has boundaries on his giving. We must have boundaries on our giving, based off of not only what is in the best interest of others, but what is also in the best interests for ourselves. Remember, I defined selfishness as putting your desires ABOVE another, but it is proper to love and respect yourself too, and appreciate the gifts and talents the Lord has given you. He expects all of us to use our "talents" - everything he gives us, and multiply it for His good. We must use wisdom and judgement, and sometimes that means withholding for ourselves, what all the "children" out there want or demand.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

So: we love our neighbor by withholding our substance from those in need, but only so long as we fear not having enough for ourselves in the future and our fears are to us above the needs of others in our own eyes.

Jesus said something about that.
Luke 12
13 ¶And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me.

14 And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you?

15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

16 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:

17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?

18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.

20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

22 ¶And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.

23 The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.

24 Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?

25 And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit?

26 If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?

27 Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

28 If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?

29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.

30 For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.

31 ¶But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.

32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

I don't know; do we love our neighbor as ourselves if we don't give him what he asks for?

Or can we say "be warmed and filled," and give him nothing because we feel instead to store up stuff for a rainy day, and be accounted righteous before God?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Yod wrote:What do you think?

Are we to observe and do the Ten Commandments?
Exodus 20:1-17...
Yes.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

There is a version of the 10 Commandments in D&C 59:5-21, so that's something interesting:

5 Wherefore, I give unto them a commandment, saying thus: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy might, mind, and strength; and in the name of Jesus Christ thou shalt serve him.

6 Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Thou shalt not steal; neither commit adultery, nor kill, nor do anything like unto it.

7 Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things.

8 Thou shalt offer a sacrifice unto the Lord thy God in righteousness, even that of a broken heart and a contrite spirit.

9 And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day;

10 For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High;

11 Nevertheless thy vows shall be offered up in righteousness on all days and at all times;

12 But remember that on this, the Lord’s day, thou shalt offer thine oblations and thy sacraments unto the Most High, confessing thy sins unto thy brethren, and before the Lord.

13 And on this day thou shalt do none other thing, only let thy food be prepared with singleness of heart that thy fasting may be perfect, or, in other words, that thy joy may be full.

14 Verily, this is fasting and prayer, or in other words, rejoicing and prayer.

15 And inasmuch as ye do these things with thanksgiving, with cheerful hearts and countenances, not with much laughter, for this is sin, but with a glad heart and a cheerful countenance—

16 Verily I say, that inasmuch as ye do this, the fulness of the earth is yours, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which climbeth upon the trees and walketh upon the earth;

17 Yea, and the herb, and the good things which come of the earth, whether for food or for raiment, or for houses, or for barns, or for orchards, or for gardens, or for vineyards;

18 Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart;

19 Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul.

20 And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion.

21 And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Yod wrote:So: we love our neighbor by withholding our substance from those in need, but only so long as we fear not having enough for ourselves in the future and our fears are to us above the needs of others in our own eyes.

Jesus said something about that.
Luke 12
13 ¶And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me.

14 And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you?

15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

16 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:

17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?

18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.

20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

22 ¶And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.

23 The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.

24 Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?

25 And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit?

26 If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?

27 Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

28 If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?

29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.

30 For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.

31 ¶But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.

32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
There always needs to be a balance in all things and order to our actions. I know from experience that the more my husband and I focus on serving the Lord, everything we need is provided for us, just as the scripture indicates. Put the Lord first, and he will provide. If there is a need, and someone asks of me, I give. But I've also chosen to raise a family (one of the commandments) and that takes a lot of food and money. While I don't fret and worry about it, I like to have a good amount in the bank for emergencies and save for things we want to work for as a family, and food in my house so I do not have to run to the store at the last moment. I have some dry food stored that at most is worth a few hundred dollars, but most would not want that as a handout anyway. Do you believe in the commandment to have food put away? I consider it a commandment.

It is just as selfish to be like the brother who felt entitled to a share of the inheritance. That is why we give to BEGGARS or those that ASK humbly. Giving without any thought as to whom or what the true need is encourages an attitude of entitlement in the receiver. The receiver should ask without a feeling of entitlement, and not expect that he or she has a right to something, or demand something from someone else. This is also selfish and covetous on the part of the receiver. We are all in a probationary time here to learn how to give and receive correctly, or with pure motivations, and this defines love. Those who learn to give and receive, will one day covenant with each other to live in a order of having things in common, or the order of Enoch. But to be worthy of this, we must first be of one mind with Christ in order to be united in our feelings of love and root out all selfishness from both the givers and the receivers.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Yod wrote:I don't know; do we love our neighbor as ourselves if we don't give him what he asks for?

Or can we say "be warmed and filled," and give him nothing because we feel instead to store up stuff for a rainy day, and be accounted righteous before God?
God, in general, only gives to us if what we ask for is right. We are commanded to give to those in need, but what if someone's request is for a selfish desire and not for a true need? Do you continue to give to that person if they demonstrate a disrespect for what they have been given?

I personally wouldn't want another person to indulge me by giving me everything I asked for, but would rather be taught the correct way to receive. We teach our children to receive correctly by teaching the importance of appreciation and reciprocation, and not feeling entitled to anything unless someone has promised to give them something.

I recently read a quote from J.S. saying something to the effect that we should treat our neighbor with more compassion in his state of need than in his abundance. At some point, when a person comes asking again and again, we must make a righteous judgment whether or not to meet that request. I don't feel that in order to obey the commandment to love others as ourselves, we are obligated to give to everyone everything they ask of us. We would not be wise stewards if we simply gave away everything we had to those who did not have a need. And there is a difference between someone who receives with appreciation and then reciprocates in some way, and someone who TAKES what he or she feels she deserves. There is a difference between taking and receiving.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

While I do think the Ten Commandments still apply I have always found it interesting how we, and all other Christians for that matter, cherry pick the commandments from the Old Testament insisting that some still apply while ignoring others.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Can we agree that they only are wise stewards who do with the Lord's substance that which the Lord has commanded?

And has he not commanded us to give to any who ask, and to judge them not, and not to hoard stuff, thereby withholding it from others?

And isn't that what we would be doing for all if we truly did love our neighbor as ourselves - that is, if we really did esteem our fellow man as though they were ourselves?

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Yod wrote:Can we agree that they only are wise stewards who do with the Lord's substance that which the Lord has commanded?

And has he not commanded us to give to any who ask, and to judge them not, and not to hoard stuff, thereby withholding it from others?

And isn't that what we would be doing for all if we truly did love our neighbor as ourselves - that is, if we really did esteem our fellow man as though they were ourselves?
I predict that you are going to teach that we should not have any savings accounts, food storage, and make any preparations for the future, etc. That we should give all of our substance to those who asks of us and not worry about the future and that if we don't agree with this position, then we are not in fact converted to Christ and are not being obedient to His commandments.

-Finrock

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Yod wrote:Can we agree that they only are wise stewards who do with the Lord's substance that which the Lord has commanded?

What is the definition of hoarding? He has commanded us to give to the poor - those who are in need of temporal sustenance - and we do that without judging how they got there. But how can someone give if he has not anything to give?

There are lots of ways to show God and others love. Our giving to the poor should not be at the expense of following other commandments which are equally important.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

He has commanded us to give to any who ask.
Luke 6:30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
Matthew 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
3 Nephi 12:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn thou not away.
At a minimum we are to give to the poor; every one that asks.
Mosiah 4
21 And now, if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive, O then, how ye ought to impart of the substance that ye have one to another.

22 And if ye judge the man who putteth up his petition to you for your substance that he perish not, and condemn him, how much more just will be your condemnation for withholding your substance, which doth not belong to you but to God, to whom also your life belongeth; and yet ye put up no petition, nor repent of the thing which thou hast done.

23 I say unto you, wo be unto that man, for his substance shall perish with him; and now, I say these things unto those who are rich as pertaining to the things of this world.
To be rich is to have more than one needs. If you have it in your possession and it is asked for, therefore, you give, or else you covet it, and perish forever. Therefore, this is hoarding - to keep more than you actually need.
24 And again, I say unto the poor, ye who have not and yet have sufficient, that ye remain from day to day; I mean all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give.

25 And now, if ye say this in your hearts ye remain guiltless, otherwise ye are condemned; and your condemnation is just for ye covet that which ye have not received.
So if you have it and don't give it on request, you are condemned; if you would not give it even if you had it, you are condemned.

Moreover, this is the way things are supposed to be done by the disciples of Christ.
Mosiah 18:27
27 And again Alma commanded that the people of the church should impart of their substance, every one according to that which he had; if he have more abundantly he should impart more abundantly; and of him that had but little, but little should be required; and to him that had not should be given.
Note in each case, you are to impart according to that which you have.

Which is why the Lord said:
Doctrine and Covenants 104:18
18 Therefore, if any man shall take of the abundance which I have made, and impart not his portion, according to the law of my gospel, unto the poor and the needy, he shall, with the wicked, lift up his eyes in hell, being in torment.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Someone mentioned Abraham. Look at the conditions to this.
JST Genesis 14
Gen 14:36 And this Melchizedek, having thus established righteousness, was called the king of heaven by his people, or, in other words, the king of peace.

Gen 14:37 And he lifted up his voice, and he blessed Abram, being the high priest and the keeper of the storehouse of God,

Gen 14:38 Him whom God had appointed to receive tithes for the poor.

Gen 14:39 Wherefore, Abram paid unto him tithes of all that he had, of all the riches which he possessed, which God had given him more than that which he had need.
That doesn't mean Abram paid 1/10 of all that he had. He gave Melchizedek everything he had above that which he had need of.
Gen 14:40 And it came to pass that God blessed Abram and gave unto him riches, and honor, and lands for an everlasting possession, according to the covenant which he had made and according to the blessing wherewith Melchizedek had blessed him.
Abraham did not covet his possessions.

As Jacob said:
Jacob 2
17 Think of your brethren like unto yourselves, and be familiar with all and free with your substance, that they may be rich like unto you.
That is, give to all who ask.
18 But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God.

19 And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted.
Like Abraham. Like the Lord commanded in Isaiah 58. What it means to love our neighbor as ourselves.

Today, liberating the captive means, in part, to pay off the debt-slaves' debts. "But they made poor choices to get into debt!" Yes, and so have we all sinned, and need Christ to pay our debts acquired from our poor choices, too. I think Benjamin mentioned that.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

I would, at this point, show how D&C 119 is exactly the model Abram followed with Melchizedek, but that takes me away from the putative theme of this thread - do the ten commandments still apply?

If they do, what do they mean?

For example, what does it mean to have no other gods before the Lord? What is a God, and how could we break this commandment today? Or, better yet, how do we keep this commandment today?

Yod
captain of 100

The First Commandment

Post by Yod »

Translated at its most literal:

"To you there shall be no other gods above my face."

As the KJV and the JST render it, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

As the Book of Mormon renders it, "Thou shalt have no other god before me."

Seeking for relevant scriptrues, I found this.
D&C 1:14-16
14 And the arm of the Lord shall be revealed; and the day cometh that they who will not hear the voice of the Lord, neither the voice of his servants, neither give heed to the words of the prophets and apostles, shall be cut off from among the people;

15 For they have strayed from mine ordinances, and have broken mine everlasting covenant;

16 They seek not the Lord to establish his righteousness, but every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol, which waxeth old and shall perish in Babylon, even Babylon the great, which shall fall.
It seems that perhaps the idolaters referred to in D&C 1:16 might simply be servants of stuff. This is bolstered by something Paul said.
Colossians 3
5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

6 For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
Covetousness, as we have seen from Benjamin, consists of wanting stuff for yourself - or, conversely, not wanting to give stuff to others according to the commandments; Paul tells us that the desire for stuff for yourself is idolatry.

Might then the first commandment have to do with what we are serving, and what we desire?

Jesus thought so.
JST Luke 16
Luke 16:13 No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Yod
captain of 100

The Second Commandment

Post by Yod »

JST Exodus 20
Exod 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;

Exod 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them; for I, the Lord, thy God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,

Exod 20:6 And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.
Graven images - carved representations, such as statues, whittled birds, and so on.

Likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, or in the waters under the earth - pictures or paintings or movies or TV shows or whatever that visually shows anything that exists.

Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them - might this get in the way of saluting a flag?

Nor serve them - you shall not do their bidding. If the likeness (moving or still) says "Buy now!" you don't.

Still think the Ten Commandments apply today? Or, are the consequences so uncomfortable that this just cannot be what God meant? No TV shows? No movies? No pictures? No selfies? No paintings? No drawings? No video games? No nudie mags? No pictorial adverts? No visual marketing? No responding to pictorial ads? No statues, no carvings, no visual representations of anything - if what is represented exists?
Last edited by Yod on February 24th, 2017, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.