Do the Ten Commandments Still Apply?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Yod
captain of 100

Re: Do the Ten Commandments Still Apply?

Post by Yod »

freedomforall wrote:
Yod wrote:Nobody thus far has had the testicular fortitude as to say outright the Ten Commandments don't apply... yet.
They still apply. Period. Why the fuss?
We have learned that to keep your substance back from others is to break the first commandment, for those who do that are idolaters, having their substance as god above God.

We have learned that to make for yourselves any visual representations in stone or wood or metal or to make any visual representations of anything that exists in any other media, or to bow to such things, or to do the bidding of such things, is contrary to the second commandment.

Are these commandments being taught? Are these commandments being done?

If not, that would explain the silence and the "fussing." Meaning your fussing at me.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Yod wrote: February 25th, 2017, 8:24 am
freedomforall wrote:
Yod wrote:Nobody thus far has had the testicular fortitude as to say outright the Ten Commandments don't apply... yet.
We have learned that to keep your substance back from others is to break the first commandment, for those who do that are idolaters, having their substance as god above God.

We have learned that to make for yourselves any visual representations in stone or wood or metal or to make any visual representations of anything that exists in any other media, or to bow to such things, or to do the bidding of such things, is contrary to the second commandment.

If not, that would explain the silence and the "fussing." Meaning your fussing at me.
We have living prophets that explain and give guidance on how to interpret and apply the law. You are trying to drive in a wedge where none will fit or is needed.
There is nothing taught by the general authorities of the LDS Church that are contradictory to the 10 commandments, only your misguided interpretation.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Spaced_Out wrote: February 25th, 2017, 8:18 pm
freedomforall wrote:

We have living prophets that explain and give guidance on how to interpret and apply the law. You are trying to drive in a wedge where none will fit or is needed.
There is nothing taught by the general authorities of the LDS Church that are contradictory to the 10 commandments, only your misguided interpretation.
I see. Now the accusations begin.

If I repeat the scriptures, which we believe to be the word of God, and am accounted misguided by you, then is not your accusation against the scriptures? But isn't that just you saying you don't believe the scriptures?

If I am in error, then should you not show me my error, rather than simply spluttering that I'm wrong? Which of the first two of the ten commandments have I misrepresented, and how?

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

I remember a guy who got booted out of the GAs saying "I don't care what the scriptures say; I care what the current prophet says they say!"

I wonder. Weren't the Pharisees and Scribes the official interpreters of the scriptures for the Jews in the time of Jesus? What did Jesus have to say about that? I think he said something... Did Jesus ever set any man, or group of men, as official interpreters of the scriptures? If so, where?

Aren't the scriptures the word of God? And if any man, or set of men, contradicts the word of God, does that not make the men, and not the scriptures, the liar?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

What Lehi saw and taught his family, Nephi also saw. He didn't just trust that his dad didn't become insane in the membrane. He sought the Lord, too, and was visited by the Lord. He obeyed the Lord's commandments, including new ones, which proceeded forth from the Lord's mouth (slay Laban, shock your brothers, build a ship, make records, etc). Lehi taught the pattern, Nephi learned and followed the pattern because He believed. His brothers did not believe, nor did they keep God's commandments, though ironically they considered themselves righteous as the Jews back home because they "kept the statutes" as they supposed. Jacob followed the pattern. So did Enos. No wonder priesthood is typically genealogical. But that is another subject altogether.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

So this is now a discussion we don't need prophets as we can also receive revelation and make our own interpretations. -- NO point in continuing such a discussion...

2 Peter 1:20
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

There is no private or individual interpretation of scripture - accusing the general authorities and prophet of the church for not teaching correct doctrine and miss leading the church is why you get accusation. Because you accuse first and make harsh judgement against the LDS church - then you cry because you get ever so gently rebuke. pathetic....

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Joseph elaborated on your chosen rebuke.
JST 2 Peter 1:20-21
2Pet 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scriptures is given of any private will of man.

2Pet 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man; but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
I made no accusation. I asked: are the commandments being taught? Are they being kept? And you accused me, contrary to the commandments of Christ, therefore you answer me against yourself, showing yourself to be an accuser.

Have we seen such behavior before in the scriptures? When have men greeted the commandments with accusations?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

freedomforall wrote:

No. it means that several topics were covered months ago.
Anyone believing the ten commandments are still in effect are correct.
Anyone putting any thing in place of God is an idolator.
Having pictures depicting Christ is not idolatry. They are a reminder to always remember him.
A twenty foot Christa in a visitors center is not idolatry.
Loving money more than God is idolatry.
Loving anything more than God is a form of idolatry, especially when the owner of such property does not acknowledge it came from God and they have gratitude, or thanksgiving in their heart toward him for it, no matter how big are small the gift.

Commandments do exist. People choose whether or not they will obey.

How many of the points of the boy scout law are as though God, himself, said we must live them?
Only now add these:

humble
lowly of heart
teachable
Broken heart
Contrite spirit
void of pride
void of envy
full of charity
always remember the Savior

Go back and begin the list again and again

These are all commandments of God.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Yod wrote: February 26th, 2017, 1:53 am Joseph elaborated on your chosen rebuke.
2Pet 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scriptures is given of any private will of man.

2Pet 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man; but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
I made no accusation. I asked: are the commandments being taught? Are they being kept? And you accused me, contrary to the commandments of Christ, therefore you answer me against yourself, showing yourself to be an accuser.

Have we seen such behavior before in the scriptures? When have men greeted the commandments with accusations?
Yes the only commandment greeted with accusations is that the 10 commandments are not taught and kept by the LDS church....
The entire topic is dishonest and a bait and switch...

PS I have no issues accusing people, the scriptures don't say not to judge they say don't judge unrighteous... I have no issue with judging - appealing to my sense of political correctness will get you no favours...

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

"Having pictures depicting Christ is not idolatry. They are a reminder to always remember him.
A twenty foot Christa in a visitors center is not idolatry."

To each his own but I disagree with the above statement completely as Moses explicitly points out otherwise and in various other places in the scriptures....
KJV
◄ Deuteronomy 4 ►

1Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do them, that ye may live, and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers giveth you. 2Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you. 3Your eyes have seen what the LORD did because of Baalpeor: for all the men that followed Baalpeor, the LORD thy God hath destroyed them from among you. 4But ye that did cleave unto the LORD your God are alive every one of you this day.

5Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it. 6Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people. 7For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for? 8And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?

9Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons; 10Specially the day that thou stoodest before the LORD thy God in Horeb, when the LORD said unto me, Gather me the people together, and I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me all the days that they shall live upon the earth, and that they may teach their children. 11And ye came near and stood under the mountain; and the mountain burned with fire unto the midst of heaven, with darkness, clouds, and thick darkness. 12And the LORD spake unto you out of the midst of the fire: ye heard the voice of the words, but saw no similitude; only ye heard a voice. 13And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone. 14And the LORD commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and judgments, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go over to possess it.

15Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of similitude on the day that the LORD spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire: 16Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, 17The likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged fowl that flieth in the air, 18The likeness of any thing that creepeth on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters beneath the earth: 19And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the LORD thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven. 20But the LORD hath taken you, and brought you forth out of the iron furnace, even out of Egypt, to be unto him a people of inheritance, as ye are this day.

21Furthermore the LORD was angry with me for your sakes, and sware that I should not go over Jordan, and that I should not go in unto that good land, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance: 22But I must die in this land, I must not go over Jordan: but ye shall go over, and possess that good land. 23Take heed unto yourselves, lest ye forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which he made with you, and make you a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, which the LORD thy God hath forbidden thee. 24For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

25When thou shalt beget children, and children's children, and ye shall have remained long in the land, and shall corrupt yourselves, and make a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, and shall do evil in the sight of the LORD thy God, to provoke him to anger: 26I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that ye shall soon utterly perish from off the land whereunto ye go over Jordan to possess it; ye shall not prolong your days upon it, but shall utterly be destroyed. 27And the LORD shall scatter you among the nations, and ye shall be left few in number among the heathen, whither the LORD shall lead you. 28And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men's hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell. 29But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul. 30When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice; 31(For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Spaced_Out wrote: February 26th, 2017, 5:43 am
Yod wrote: February 26th, 2017, 1:53 am Joseph elaborated on your chosen rebuke.

Yes the only commandment greeted with accusations is that the 10 commandments are not taught and kept by the LDS church....
The entire topic is dishonest and a bait and switch...

PS I have no issues accusing people, the scriptures don't say not to judge they say don't judge unrighteous... I have no issue with judging - appealing to my sense of political correctness will get you no favours...
If the unstated answer to my question provoked defensiveness - in the form of accusations - then the unstated answer cannot reflect well upon you.

With the same judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged.
3 Nephi 14
1 And now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words he turned again to the multitude, and did open his mouth unto them again, saying: Verily, verily, I say unto you, Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged; and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother: Let me pull the mote out of thine eye—and behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

simpleton wrote: February 26th, 2017, 6:00 am "Having pictures depicting Christ is not idolatry. They are a reminder to always remember him.
A twenty foot Christa in a visitors center is not idolatry."

To each his own but I disagree with the above statement completely as Moses explicitly points out otherwise and in various other places in the scriptures....
KJV
◄ Deuteronomy 4 ►

1Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do them, that ye may live, and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers giveth you. 2Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you. 3Your eyes have seen what the LORD did because of Baalpeor: for all the men that followed Baalpeor, the LORD thy God hath destroyed them from among you. 4But ye that did cleave unto the LORD your God are alive every one of you this day.

5Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it. 6Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people. 7For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for? 8And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?

9Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons; 10Specially the day that thou stoodest before the LORD thy God in Horeb, when the LORD said unto me, Gather me the people together, and I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me all the days that they shall live upon the earth, and that they may teach their children. 11And ye came near and stood under the mountain; and the mountain burned with fire unto the midst of heaven, with darkness, clouds, and thick darkness. 12And the LORD spake unto you out of the midst of the fire: ye heard the voice of the words, but saw no similitude; only ye heard a voice. 13And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone. 14And the LORD commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and judgments, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go over to possess it.

15Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of similitude on the day that the LORD spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire: 16Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, 17The likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged fowl that flieth in the air, 18The likeness of any thing that creepeth on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters beneath the earth: 19And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the LORD thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven. 20But the LORD hath taken you, and brought you forth out of the iron furnace, even out of Egypt, to be unto him a people of inheritance, as ye are this day.

21Furthermore the LORD was angry with me for your sakes, and sware that I should not go over Jordan, and that I should not go in unto that good land, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance: 22But I must die in this land, I must not go over Jordan: but ye shall go over, and possess that good land. 23Take heed unto yourselves, lest ye forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which he made with you, and make you a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, which the LORD thy God hath forbidden thee. 24For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

25When thou shalt beget children, and children's children, and ye shall have remained long in the land, and shall corrupt yourselves, and make a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, and shall do evil in the sight of the LORD thy God, to provoke him to anger: 26I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that ye shall soon utterly perish from off the land whereunto ye go over Jordan to possess it; ye shall not prolong your days upon it, but shall utterly be destroyed. 27And the LORD shall scatter you among the nations, and ye shall be left few in number among the heathen, whither the LORD shall lead you. 28And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men's hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell. 29But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul. 30When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice; 31(For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them.
I wonder why we Latter-day Saints never appeal(ed) to the second commandment as the explanation for why we don't wear crucifixes.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

marc wrote: February 25th, 2017, 10:33 pm What Lehi saw and taught his family, Nephi also saw. He didn't just trust that his dad didn't become insane in the membrane. He sought the Lord, too, and was visited by the Lord. He obeyed the Lord's commandments, including new ones, which proceeded forth from the Lord's mouth (slay Laban, shock your brothers, build a ship, make records, etc). Lehi taught the pattern, Nephi learned and followed the pattern because He believed. His brothers did not believe, nor did they keep God's commandments, though ironically they considered themselves righteous as the Jews back home because they "kept the statutes" as they supposed. Jacob followed the pattern. So did Enos. No wonder priesthood is typically genealogical. But that is another subject altogether.
That underlined bit, that's the key right there. Nephi did not dispute when the word came, but believed and inquired and recieved; Laman and Lemuel, the disbelieving, malicious, idolatrous, and disobedient, disputed against both Nephi and Lehi and protested the righteousness of their church and leaders and their obedience to the law of Moses; they did not inquire of God for God was, to them, silent and effectively unreal.

I knew I had seen that behavior pattern somewhere before.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

Sure, Laman & Lemuel believed Israel and its leaders were righteous when they weren't, but things are different today. Today we have guarantees that the church's leaders can never lead us astray and that the current church is the best church ever, right?

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

lemuel wrote: February 26th, 2017, 12:53 pm Sure, Laman & Lemuel believed Israel and its leaders were righteous when they weren't, but things are different today. Today we have guarantees that the church's leaders can never lead us astray and that the current church is the best church ever, right?
Yip putting the current LDS church leaders as in the same category of the scribes and pharisees that crucified Christ and taught false doctrine to prove we teach false doctrine about the 10 commandments is kind of lame.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Idolatry is the worship of an idol or image as a god... Moses made a brazen serpent that represented Christ and any person looking at it were healed from snake bites. Only many years later the people began to worship the brazen snake so the snake was taken down and destroyed. God uses symbols and commands as such - get over it already.

Everything in the temple is symbolic, the ancient Jewish temple had hundreds of artefacts and images that represented various aspects of the atonement all commanded and sanctioned by God. There has never been any commandment not to have symbolic items, the Jews under the law of Moses had phylacteries and many symbolic items in their houses as commanded by God. The worshipping such items in place of God is where sin creeps in.

There are many talks by current prophets about idolatry and what it means to us today, as a people we have moved past worshipping idols but worship money, education and worldly goods like cars etc..... We have been instructed to have picture of the Temple in our houses etc.... To go about teaching another doctrine without even the slightest understanding of the Law of Moses is folly. Go talk to a Jewish Rabbi about how they see symbolic items commanded by God in the old testament.

Follow the prophet he knows the way!! To do otherwise is very dangerous.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Spaced_Out wrote: February 26th, 2017, 2:19 pm Idolatry is the worship of an idol or image as a god...

An excellent piece by Avraham Gileadi on the Twelve Diatribes of Modern Israel:

http://publications.mi.byu.edu/fullscre ... 9&index=12

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

It is like saying anyone who has accumulated wealth is evil because he has money - where the scriptures are clear it is the love of money that is evil not money in itself.
The same with having images is a no issue it is bowing down and worshipping them that is the evil.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Well, if you keep money back from others when they ask for it, you love the money more than you love them, and you love the money more than you love God.

That's the test of idolatry.

And it isn't just the bowing and worshipping or doing the bidding of images. The commandment says you aren't even to make them for yourself.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Ten Commandments

The Ten Commandments are eternal gospel principles that are necessary for our exaltation. The Lord revealed them to Moses in ancient times (see Exodus 20:1–17), and they are also referenced in whole or in part in other books of scripture (see Matthew 19:18–19; Romans 13:9; Mosiah 12:33–36; 13:13–24; D&C 42:18–29; 59:5–13; 63:61–62). The Ten Commandments are a vital part of the gospel. Obedience to these commandments paves the way for obedience to other gospel principles.
Additional Information

The following review of the Ten Commandments includes brief explanations of how they continue to apply in our lives today:

1. “Thou shalt have no other gods before me” (Exodus 20:3). We should do “all things with an eye single to the glory of God” (D&C 82:19). We should love and serve the Lord with all our heart, might, mind, and strength (see Deuteronomy 6:5; D&C 59:5).

2. “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image” (Exodus 20:4). In this commandment, the Lord condemns the worship of idols. Idolatry may take many forms. Some people do not bow before graven images or statues but instead replace the living God with other idols, such as money, material possessions, ideas, or prestige. In their lives, “their treasure is their god”—a god that “shall perish with them” (2 Nephi 9:30).

3. “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain” (Exodus 20:7).

4. “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy” (Exodus 20:8).

5. “Honour thy father and thy mother” (Exodus 20:12). This commandment remains binding throughout our lives and can be understood in several ways: We should honor our fathers and our mothers who are our ancestors; we should be grateful to the father and mother who provided our earthly bodies; we should honor those who raised us in the knowledge of the truth. Above all, we should honor our Heavenly Parents. The way we honor all these fathers and mothers is by keeping the commandments.

6. “Thou shalt not kill” (Exodus 20:13).

7. “Thou shalt not commit adultery” (Exodus 20:14). In a latter-day revelation, the Lord condemned not only adultery, but “anything like unto it” (D&C 59:6). Fornication, homosexuality, and other sexual sins are violations of the seventh commandment.

8. “Thou shalt not steal” (Exodus 20:15). Stealing is a form of dishonesty.

9. “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour” (Exodus 20:16). Bearing false witness is another form of dishonesty.

10. “Thou shalt not covet” (Exodus 20:17). Coveting, or envying something that belongs to another, is damaging to the soul. It can consume our thoughts and plague us with constant unhappiness and dissatisfaction. It often leads to other sins and to financial indebtedness.

Although most of the Ten Commandments list things we should not do, they also represent things we should do. The Savior summarized the Ten Commandments in two principles—love for the Lord and love for our fellow men:

“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

“This is the first and great commandment.

“And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself” (Matthew 22:37–39).

SEE: https://www.lds.org/topics/ten-commandm ... g&old=true

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

"We should love and serve the Lord with all our heart, might, mind, and strength."

What does "to serve" mean?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Yod wrote: February 26th, 2017, 8:18 pm "We should love and serve the Lord with all our heart, might, mind, and strength."

What does "to serve" mean?
Mosiah 2:21
21 I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.

Job 22:3 (2–4)
2 Can a man be profitable unto God, as he that is wise may be profitable unto himself?
3 Is it any pleasure to the Almighty, that thou art righteous? or is it gain to him, that thou makest thy ways perfect?
4 Will he reprove thee for fear of thee? will he enter with thee into judgment?

1 Sam. 7:3
3 ...If ye do return unto the Lord with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the Lord, and serve him only: and he will deliver you....

To serve is service to others and worship in behalf of and in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord.

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

Mosiah 5:13 For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?
So, what is meant by "served" here? What does it mean to serve one's master? What, therefore, does it mean "to serve"?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Yod wrote: February 27th, 2017, 7:25 am
Mosiah 5:13 For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?
So, what is meant by "served" here? What does it mean to serve one's master? What, therefore, does it mean "to serve"?
3 Ne. 13:24
24 No man can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon.

D&C 4:2
2 Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.

Serve = to render obedience or homage to God.
to be in the service of

Yod
captain of 100

Post by Yod »

"To render obedience."

So, if God commands a certain thing, then if you serve God, you do that thing, right?

And if you are in the service of your fellow beings, then you are doing what they ask of you, right?