Do the Ten Commandments Still Apply?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Finrock
captain of 1,000

Re: Do the Ten Commandments Still Apply?

Post by Finrock »

Yod wrote: February 28th, 2017, 6:05 am OK.

So if God commands us to give to every man that asks, and to lend to anyone who wants to borrow from us without ever asking to be paid back and hoping not to be paid back, then if we serve God that's what we do, right?
If and only if God tells us to do it, we ought to do it.

If we give grudgingly then it is counted as if we have given nothing at all because it comes from evil.

-Finrock

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Finrock wrote: February 28th, 2017, 6:59 am

So if God commands us to give to every man that asks, and to lend to anyone who wants to borrow from us without ever asking to be paid back and hoping not to be paid back, then if we serve God that's what we do, right?

If we give grudgingly then it is counted as if we have given nothing at all because it comes from evil.

-Finrock
I believe Jesus Christ has already told us so.
Luke 6:30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
And an angel of the Lord gave to King Benjamin what to instruct his people so that they may receive a new name, including how to retain a remission of their sins. I certainly expect to retain a remission of my sins.
Mosiah 4:26 And now, for the sake of these things which I have spoken unto you—that is, for the sake of retaining a remission of your sins from day to day, that ye may walk guiltless before God—I would that ye should impart of your substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants.
I believe everything we have and are is God's property including my earthly body, which came from the dust, which is His. We are all stewards of this earth and all earthly things and I believe we ought not covet our own "property." Martin Harris made this mistake and was chastised by the Lord for it.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

marc wrote: February 28th, 2017, 3:07 pm
Finrock wrote: February 28th, 2017, 6:59 am

-Finrock
I believe Jesus Christ has already told us so.
Luke 6:30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
And an angel of the Lord gave to King Benjamin what to instruct his people so that they may receive a new name, including how to retain a remission of their sins. I certainly expect to retain a remission of my sins.
Mosiah 4:26 And now, for the sake of these things which I have spoken unto you—that is, for the sake of retaining a remission of your sins from day to day, that ye may walk guiltless before God—I would that ye should impart of your substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants.
I believe everything we have and are is God's property including my earthly body, which came from the dust, which is His. We are all stewards of this earth and all earthly things and I believe we ought not covet our own "property." Martin Harris made this mistake and was chastised by the Lord for it.
I believe that too.

In my imperfect way I am trying to say that we must act because we love God and because we know or believe that He wants us to do something. We can give all of our substance to the poor or to those in need, but if we don't do it for the right reason, it will be counted as if we had done evil. Or in other words, we should act out of the goodness of our hearts and not because of fear, or a sense of duty, or just because someone told us to do it, or because of some other motivation. There are many reasons why a person might keep the commandments, but there is only one right reason for doing it. If we obey, but not out of love, or not out of the goodness of our hearts, then we are not really obeying.

-Finrock

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Agreed, Finrock. As I mentioned elsewhere, the two greatest commandments ought to be our highest motivation, for without charity we are nothing.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Re: The Second Commandment

Post by AI2.0 »

Yod wrote: February 24th, 2017, 10:58 pm
JST Exodus 20
Exod 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;

Exod 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them; for I, the Lord, thy God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,

Exod 20:6 And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.
Graven images - carved representations, such as statues, whittled birds, and so on.

Likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, or in the waters under the earth - pictures or paintings or movies or TV shows or whatever that visually shows anything that exists.

Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them - might this get in the way of saluting a flag?

Nor serve them - you shall not do their bidding. If the likeness (moving or still) says "Buy now!" you don't.

Still think the Ten Commandments apply today? Or, are the consequences so uncomfortable that this just cannot be what God meant? No TV shows? No movies? No pictures? No selfies? No paintings? No drawings? No video games? No nudie mags? No pictorial adverts? No visual marketing? No responding to pictorial ads? No statues, no carvings, no visual representations of anything - if what is represented exists?
The 10 commandments apply today, just not your interpretation of them as far as the rest of us are concerned. This is the Muslim view, not the LDS view. So, I guess if you want to keep that commandment as you've interpreted it, you're going to be pretty uncomfortable.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

If the ten commandments were not in force today then why are we reminded each week in Sacrament to keep them?

Moroni 4:3
3 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it; that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given them, that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

Moroni 5:2
2 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee, in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

The other mandates is to:

eat in remembrance of the body of Christ
witness unto God
"are willing to" take upon them the name of Jesus
may always have his Spirit to be with them
always remember him
keep his commandments

NOW, what would we be promising if the words "are willing to" were to be removed? Can we attest in all honesty that we do these things at all times? Do we always keep his commandments 100% of the time?

Waiting
captain of 10

Re: The Second Commandment

Post by Waiting »

Yod wrote: February 24th, 2017, 10:58 pm
JST Exodus 20
Exod 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;

Exod 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them; for I, the Lord, thy God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,

Exod 20:6 And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.
Graven images - carved representations, such as statues, whittled birds, and so on.

Likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, or in the waters under the earth - pictures or paintings or movies or TV shows or whatever that visually shows anything that exists.

Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them - might this get in the way of saluting a flag?

Nor serve them - you shall not do their bidding. If the likeness (moving or still) says "Buy now!" you don't.

Still think the Ten Commandments apply today? Or, are the consequences so uncomfortable that this just cannot be what God meant? No TV shows? No movies? No pictures? No selfies? No paintings? No drawings? No video games? No nudie mags? No pictorial adverts? No visual marketing? No responding to pictorial ads? No statues, no carvings, no visual representations of anything - if what is represented exists?
Yod, consider these scriptures (from JST):
Num 21:9 And Moses made a serpent of brass and put it upon a pole; and it came to pass that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.
Exod 25
18 And thou shalt make two cherubim of gold--of beaten work shalt thou make them--in the two ends of the mercy seat.
19 And make one cherub on the one end and the other cherub on the other end; even of the mercy seat shall ye make the cherubim on the two ends thereof.
20 And the cherubim shall stretch forth their wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings; and their faces shall look one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim be.
The serpent would be an example of a likeness of something in "the earth beneath", and the cherubim a likeness of something in "the heaven above". If you are suggesting that the commandment would preclude TV, movies, etc. because they are likenesses, then wouldn't the commandment also preclude brass serpents and cherubim of gold?