What does Alma mean in Alma 40

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
LucianAMD
ex-Puppet Master

What does Alma mean in Alma 40

Post by LucianAMD »

11 Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.

12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

13 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of the wicked, yea, who are evil—for behold, they have no part nor portion of the Spirit of the Lord; for behold, they chose evil works rather than good; therefore the spirit of the devil did enter into them, and take possession of their house—and these shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and this because of their own iniquity, being led captive by the will of the devil.

14 Now this is the state of the souls of the wicked, yea, in darkness, and a state of awful, fearful looking for the fiery indignation of the wrath of God upon them; thus they remain in this state, as well as the righteous in paradise, until the time of their resurrection.

I was reading the other day and saw this. To me it sounds like he is saying they are taken home to God before they go to paradise/prison. Can anyone help explain what this means exactly and what I am misunderstanding, if I am misunderstanding?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: What does Alma mean in Alma 40

Post by brianj »

As I understand it, we all get to meet our Savior when we die. That is what Alma was referring to. I don't know if any of us understand the initial judgement that is subsequently described. The righteous will be admitted to a paradise while the wicked are admitted to prison, but the prison will also accept righteous people who are not baptized. I hope that part of prison comes close to paradise!

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

yet we are taught that no unclean thing can be in the presence of God. So how can all spirits return to God as is spoken of?

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

The last thread on this:
viewtopic.php?t=44401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

there seems to be in the spirit world a lords abode,

"I moved forward, feasting my eyes upon the beauties of everything about me and glorying in the indescrib­able peace and happiness that abounded in everybody and through everything. The farther I went, the more glo­rious things appeared. While standing at a certain vantage point, I beheld a short distance away a wonderfully beautiful Temple, capped with golden domes, from which emerged a small group of men dressed in white robes, who paused for a brief conversation. These were the first men I had seen thus clad. The millions that I had previously seen were dressed in various individual styles; the soldiers for instance were in uniform.

In this little group of holy men my eyes rested upon one more splendorous and holy than all the rest. While I thus gazed upon them, President Joseph F. Smith parted from the others and came to my side. “Do you know Him?” he inquired.

I quickly answered, “Yes, I know Him! My eyes be­hold my Lord and Savior!”

“It is true!” said President Smith. And, oh! how my soul was thrilled with rapture, and unspeakable joy filled my heart.

President Smith then informed me that I had been given permission to return and complete my mission on the earth which the Lord had appointed me to fill. Then with his hand upon my shoulder, he uttered these memor­able and significant words, “Brother Heber, you have a great work to do. Go forward with a prayerful heart [32] and you shall be blessed in your ministry. From this time on, never doubt that God lives; that Jesus Christ is His Son, the Savior of the world; that the Holy Ghost is a God Spirit and a Messenger of the Father and Son.
"
heber hale manifestation
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UT ... ifestation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:-B

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Maybe the emphasis should be on "taken home", meaning that our spirits are taken care of, there is a place for all of us. And God is the ruler of that house. The following verses are then an explanation of how this home looks like.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Original_Intent wrote:yet we are taught that no unclean thing can be in the presence of God. So how can all spirits return to God as is spoken of?
I think it says that unclean things cannot "dwell" with God.

no unclean thing can dwell with God: 1 Ne. 10:21

Notice, too, that only one probation is mentioned.

if men are filthy, they cannot dwell in kingdom of God: 1 Ne. 15:33 .
no flesh can dwell in presence of God save through grace of the Messiah: 2 Ne. 2:8 .
those who keep commandments dwell with God in never-ending happiness: Mosiah 2:41

Spirit prison and Paradise

Alma 40:11
11 Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.

2 Ne. 9:38
38 And, in fine, wo unto all those who die in their sins; for they shall return to God, and behold his face, and remain in their sins.

Alma 40:14
14 Now this is the state of the souls of the wicked, yea, in darkness, and a state of awful, fearful looking for the fiery indignation of the wrath of God upon them; thus they remain in this state, as well as the righteous in paradise, until the time of their resurrection

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Please read Alma 40-42. These chapters explain spirit prison and paradise very clearly, what happens to us and that we are resurrected with the same emotions, thoughts and characteristics as the day we die called the restoration of the body and spirit. These chapters a some of my favorite passages within the whole book.

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

LucianAMD wrote:

12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

13 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of the wicked, yea, who are evil—for behold, they have no part nor portion of the Spirit of the Lord; for behold, they chose evil works rather than good; therefore the spirit of the devil did enter into them, and take possession of their house—and these shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and this because of their own iniquity, being led captive by the will of the devil.

14 Now this is the state of the souls of the wicked, yea, in darkness, and a state of awful, fearful looking for the fiery indignation of the wrath of God upon them; thus they remain in this state, as well as the righteous in paradise, until the time of their resurrection.

I was reading the other day and saw this. To me it sounds like he is saying they are taken home to God before they go to paradise/prison. Can anyone help explain what this means exactly and what I am misunderstanding, if I am misunderstanding?
Up until 2 or 3 years ago, I missed part of what this is saying. Look closely at verse 13: "therefore the spirit of the devil did enter into them, and take possession of their house." Those people who commit sins worthy of being consigned to hell or in other words, the telestial kingdom are possessed by the devil or evil spirits. You might think that "house" is symbolic, but consider what Elder Jedidiah M. Grant said using the same terminology.
"The grand difficulty we have to encounter is from devils that enter into you; they take possession of your houses, and then we have to fight devils in tabernacles.” JD 4:87

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Then again if all else fails for knowledge and understanding one just needs to back up to Alma 40:3 (and remember this often when answers can't seem to be found!) ;)

3 Behold, he bringeth to pass the resurrection of the dead. But behold, my son, the resurrection is not yet. Now, I unfold unto you a mystery; nevertheless, there are many mysteries which are kept, that no one knoweth them save God himself. But I show unto you one thing which I have inquired diligently of God that I might know—that is concerning the resurrection.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

They go back to God's "realm": spirits. ?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

JohnnyL wrote:They go back to God's "realm": spirits. ?
Until the resurrection.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

freedomforall wrote:
Until the resurrection.
Yeah. Which fits with the rest of Alma 40.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

JohnnyL wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
Until the resurrection.
Yeah. Which fits with the rest of Alma 40.
I love reading Alma 40-42. They are so interesting as to how, who, what, where and why we go through after death. Some of it might scare some folks, yet it all makes perfect sense.

How many members of the church don't know that our thoughts are through and from our spirit, and not strictly our brain. This would explain why our thoughts can and will condemn the unrepentant.

When we receive promptings, inspiration or even revelations, the Spirit, or Holy Ghost, speaks directly to our spirit, yet some people, me included, can't always tell if inspiration is from God or our own thoughts.

Maybe this will help clear things up: https://www.lds.org/new-era/2014/05/que ... s?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Revelation or My Own Thoughts

“How can I know when I have received a revelation and not just a thought of my own?”

If you’ve asked this question, you’re not alone. For many of us, revelation sometimes can be hard to recognize. In part, the answer depends on how you’re living and how humble you are. If you do your best to be worthy of the Spirit and strive to be humble so that the Lord can direct you, answers will come (see D&C 112:10).

As you ponder whether a thought or feeling is from the Spirit, consider this counsel from the prophet Mormon: “Every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God” (Moroni 7:16).

Along these lines, President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910–2008) taught, “That’s the test, when all is said and done. Does it persuade one to do good, to rise, to stand tall, to do the right thing, to be kind, to be generous? Then it is of the Spirit of God” (Preach My Gospel [2004], 97).

So do your best to be worthy of the Spirit, listen carefully, pay attention to those thoughts and promptings, and act. The Lord will help you along the way, and over time you’ll learn more about how the Spirit speaks specifically to you.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

freedomforall wrote:Revelation or My Own Thoughts

“How can I know when I have received a revelation and not just a thought of my own?”

If you’ve asked this question, you’re not alone. For many of us, revelation sometimes can be hard to recognize. In part, the answer depends on how you’re living and how humble you are. If you do your best to be worthy of the Spirit and strive to be humble so that the Lord can direct you, answers will come (see D&C 112:10).

As you ponder whether a thought or feeling is from the Spirit, consider this counsel from the prophet Mormon: “Every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God” (Moroni 7:16).

Along these lines, President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910–2008) taught, “That’s the test, when all is said and done. Does it persuade one to do good, to rise, to stand tall, to do the right thing, to be kind, to be generous? Then it is of the Spirit of God” (Preach My Gospel [2004], 97).

So do your best to be worthy of the Spirit, listen carefully, pay attention to those thoughts and promptings, and act. The Lord will help you along the way, and over time you’ll learn more about how the Spirit speaks specifically to you.
No disrespect to President Hinckley or the author of that article, but...
One of many examples I could bring to mind is when I was driving and the thought entered my head to take another route. Strange idea, it made no sense, so I took my usual route. But I soon discovered that traffic was far worse on my usual route because of an incident on the freeway, and if I had taken that other route I would have made it to my destination much more quickly.
In this case I don't see that the thought to take another route persuaded me to do good, rise, stand tall, do the right thing, be kind, or be generous. Had I taken the other route I may never have known of the extra bad traffic I would have dealt with. In retrospect I believe it was an unrecognized prompting to take another route, and doing so would have provided the blessings of less frustration and less time on the road, but it didn't fit the descriptions given above of how to recognize promptings.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

brianj wrote:
freedomforall wrote:Revelation or My Own Thoughts

No disrespect to President Hinckley or the author of that article, but...
One of many examples I could bring to mind is when I was driving and the thought entered my head to take another route. Strange idea, it made no sense, so I took my usual route. But I soon discovered that traffic was far worse on my usual route because of an incident on the freeway, and if I had taken that other route I would have made it to my destination much more quickly.
In this case I don't see that the thought to take another route persuaded me to do good, rise, stand tall, do the right thing, be kind, or be generous. Had I taken the other route I may never have known of the extra bad traffic I would have dealt with. In retrospect I believe it was an unrecognized prompting to take another route, and doing so would have provided the blessings of less frustration and less time on the road, but it didn't fit the descriptions given above of how to recognize promptings.
Alma 5
38 Behold, I say unto you, that the good shepherd doth call you; yea, and in his own name he doth call you, which is the name of Christ; and if ye will not hearken unto the voice of the good shepherd, to the name by which ye are cecalled, behold, ye are not the sheep of the good shepherd.
39 And now if ye are not the sheep of the good shepherd, of what fold are ye? Behold, I say unto you, that the devil is your shepherd, and ye are of his fold; and now, who can deny this? Behold, I say unto you, whosoever denieth this is a liar and a child of the devil.
40 For I say unto you that whatsoever is good cometh from God, and whatsoever is evil cometh from the devil.
41 Therefore, if a man bringeth forth good works he hearkeneth unto the voice of the good shepherd, and he doth follow him; but whosoever bringeth forth evil works, the same becometh a child of the devil, for he hearkeneth unto his voice, and doth follow him.

From these verses I'd say that you are blessed. You were not prompted to do anything wrong, rather, to take a different route. Please know that "whatsoever is good cometh from God." This means even the most minute idea or inspiration that leads a person in a positive fashion, a correct fashion and a loving fashion...is from God.
A wicked spirit will not want you to do anything good and may prompt you to do something incorrect.
Ofttimes we will have a good prompting or feeling...immediately followed by a thought or feeling just opposite...and the sad thing is we more than not follow the second prompting. We then choose which spirit we list to obey. Old Scratch loves it when he can trip us up any way he can, it sometimes does not involve sin, merely a wrong choice.
The more we recognize the good promptings, the more receptive we become to greater and higher promptings in helping those we may not even know...or whatever the case may be. But the Holy Ghost can and is a constant companion to the righteous having received that gift by ordination.

"Follow the Little Promptings" from: https://www.lds.org/new-era/2014/06/fol ... s?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David Dickson

Every whisper from the Holy Ghost is worth listening to.

If a tornado were going to hurl an enormous tree trunk onto your bed during the night, you’d probably want to know ahead of time.

Wilford Woodruff (1807–98), who later became the fourth President of the Church, was once sleeping outside in his wagon with his wife and child when the Spirit whispered, “Get up and move [your] carriage.”1 He could have dismissed it as a strange idea, but instead he obeyed. Half an hour later, a whirlwind snapped off an enormous tree and flung it through the air. The tree landed exactly where the wagon had been.

There are many such examples of miracles that happened as a result of following promptings (see more on pages 20 and 47).

But what about a prompting that inspires you to call a friend just to say hello? Or a prompting to put an extra pair of socks in your backpack for your next hike? Following such promptings likely won’t lead to dramatic outcomes, but they’re still important.

The friend you call might be having a hard day. A phone call could cheer him up. On the hike, an extra pair of socks could mean the difference between a comfortable outing and painful blisters if your feet got wet unexpectedly.

President Thomas S. Monson has taught: “We watch. We wait. We listen for that still, small voice. When it speaks, wise men and women obey. We do not postpone following promptings of the Spirit.”2

Sometimes spiritual promptings are urgent. More often, however, they are gentle. Heavenly Father has promised to instruct us “line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little” (2 Nephi 28:30).

Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has taught: “Most frequently, revelation comes in small increments over time and is granted according to our desire, worthiness, and preparation.”3

Most likely, none of us will need to dodge a tree trunk tossed at us by a tornado. Yet we can be certain there will always be some small and simple good we can do as we pay attention to the Spirit.