Did Jesus Ever Sin?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Did Jesus Ever Sin?

Post by Jeremy »

This is a sincere question. I know that being pure/innocent/without sin, etc. is a key component in the sacrifice pertaining to the atonement but does "without sin" equate to "never sinned"?

Scriptural references are appreciated. :)

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Did Jesus Ever Sin?

Post by Silver »

Answer: No.
Scriptural references: The Standard Works

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

D&C 45

4 Saying: Father, behold the sufferings and death of him who did no sin, in whom thou wast well pleased; behold the blood of thy Son which was shed, the blood of him whom thou gavest that thyself might be glorified;

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

Silver wrote:Answer: No.
Scriptural references: The Standard Works
Silver, that wasn't incredibly helpful but I suppose I should express some appreciation for your humorous participation.
=))

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

OK, Jeremy, my response was a bit smarmy, but if there is nothing in all the scriptures or talks by the General Authorities about Christ sinning, what more is there to say on the subject?

I guess I could say, "No, He really, really, never sinned."

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

1. Peter 2

22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

Silver wrote:OK, Jeremy, my response was a bit smarmy, but if there is nothing in all the scriptures or talks by the General Authorities about Christ sinning, what more is there to say on the subject?

I think inho gave a pretty good example as to what could have been said.

I think the scriptures will be clear in stating that Christ was without sin and is without sin. I am wondering if the same is said regarding Jesus.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Jeremy wrote:
Silver wrote:OK, Jeremy, my response was a bit smarmy, but if there is nothing in all the scriptures or talks by the General Authorities about Christ sinning, what more is there to say on the subject?

I think inho gave a pretty good example as to what could have been said.

I think the scriptures will be clear in stating that Christ was without sin and is without sin. I am wondering if the same is said regarding Jesus.
My middle name is "not the sharpest tool in the shed" so I may be misunderstanding you, but are you implying that Jesus is a different person than Christ?

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

Silver wrote:My middle name is "not the sharpest tool in the shed" so I may be misunderstanding you, but are you implying that Jesus is a different person than Christ?
Silver, your a sharp tool I am sure. ;) j/k

I believe that Jesus became Christ. I believe that Jesus took upon himself that title. I believe that "Christ" is the name of a title and not the name of a person.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Jeremy wrote: I believe that Jesus became Christ. I believe that Jesus took upon himself that title. I believe that "Christ" is the name of a title and not the name of a person.
At what point did Jesus become Christ? In Gethsemane? Or when he began his public ministry? We know almost nothing about Jesus' life before he started his ministry, so if you make this distinction between Christ and Jesus, scriptures can't give an aswer to your question.

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

inho wrote:
Jeremy wrote: I believe that Jesus became Christ. I believe that Jesus took upon himself that title. I believe that "Christ" is the name of a title and not the name of a person.
At what point did Jesus become Christ?
I have asked myself that a few times. I don't know the answer but I think it was before his ministry. The reason I think this is because I believe when Jesus speaks or acts throughout the scriptures, Jesus is acting under the title of "Christ".

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Jeremy wrote: I have asked myself that a few times. I don't know the answer but I think it was before his ministry. The reason I think this is because I believe when Jesus speaks or acts throughout the scriptures, Jesus is acting under the title of "Christ".
Doesn't he act under the title of Christ even before his birth?

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

inho wrote:
Jeremy wrote: I have asked myself that a few times. I don't know the answer but I think it was before his ministry. The reason I think this is because I believe when Jesus speaks or acts throughout the scriptures, Jesus is acting under the title of "Christ".
Im not sure.

Suntumbler
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Suntumbler »

This is a good question Jeremy, thanks for asking it. Whether or not He ever sinned depends on whether multiple mortal probations/multiple estates, is part of the plan of Salvation. Did He sin in this life? No, I believe He was sinless, in order to satisfy the demands of Justice for those who sin, He had to be offer himself as a sacrifice as the lamb without blemish in order for Justice to owe Him.

Line upon line he learned until the veil was fully rent, He set the perfect example if we wish to have the same.

Suntumbler
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Suntumbler »

It's important to understand that the Plan of Salvation is not about reward and punishment (eternal damnation), it is about Progression. The worth of souls is great in the sight of God.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Jeremy wrote:
inho wrote:
Im not sure.
The Book of Ether has your answer as to His premortal role.

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

Silver wrote:The Book of Ether has your answer as to His premortal role.
Are you referring to the appearance to the Brother of Jared in chapter 3? Great point. It does mention specifically the name of Jesus. Thank you.

It also mentions "I am the Father and the Son."

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Jeremy wrote:
Silver wrote:The Book of Ether has your answer as to His premortal role.
Are you referring to the appearance to the Brother of Jared in chapter 3? Great point. It does mention specifically the name of Jesus. Thank you.

It also mentions "I am the Father and the Son."
Yes, that's it. Jesus is the Father due to being on an assignment from his Father to create this earth (and solar system and beyond...I feel like Buzz Lightyear now.).

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

inho wrote:
At what point did Jesus become Christ? In Gethsemane? Or when he began his public ministry? We know almost nothing about Jesus' life before he started his ministry, so if you make this distinction between Christ and Jesus, scriptures can't give an aswer to your question.
He only received a fullness at the start of his ministry at baptism by John. Section 93

12 And I, John, saw that he received not of the fulness at the first, but received grace for grace;
13 And he received not of the fulness at first, but continued from grace to grace, until he received a fulness;
14 And thus he was called the Son of God, because he received not of the fulness at the first.
15 And I, John, bear record, and lo, the heavens were opened, and the Holy Ghost descended upon him in the form of a dove, and sat upon him, and there came a voice out of heaven saying: This is my beloved Son.
16 And I, John, bear record that he received a fulness of the glory of the Father;

It is a moot point about the effects of the atonement only been valid after his resurrection, as he was the first fruits of the resurrection and no baptism for the dead were preformed until after his death and resurrection.

He lived a sinless life. sin by definition is breaking a law that you are able to comprehend or that has been given to you. As we progress and our understanding increases we are held more accountable. We are only able to progress as fast as we gain knowledge. I would say Jesus progressed in knowledge and as truth was revealed He kept the law till perfection. The scriptures also state the Jesus learnt from the things that He suffered. Going from grace to grace is not sinning, so he did not sin.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Jeremy wrote:
inho wrote:
Im not sure.
2 Ne. 25:19
19 For according to the words of the prophets, the Messiah cometh in six hundred years from the time that my father left Jerusalem; and according to the words of the prophets, and also the word of the angel of God, his name shall be Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

Mosiah 3:8
8 And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary.

Alma 7:10
10 And behold, he shall be born of Mary, at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers, she being a virgin, a precious and chosen vessel, who shall be overshadowed and conceive by the power of the Holy Ghost, and bring forth a son, yea, even the Son of God.

3 Ne. 1:14
14 Behold, I come unto my own, to fulfil all things which I have made known unto the children of men from the foundation of the world, and to do the will, both of the Father and of the Son—of the Father because of me, and of the Son because of my flesh. And behold, the time is at hand, and this night shall the sign be given.

Ether 3:14
14 Behold, I am he who was prepared from the foundation of the world to redeem my people. Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son. In me shall all mankind have life, and that eternally, even they who shall believe on my name; and they shall become my sons and my daughters.

Moses 6:52
52 And he also said unto him: If thou wilt turn unto me, and hearken unto my voice, and believe, and repent of all thy transgressions, and be baptized, even in water, in the name of mine Only Begotten Son, who is full of grace and truth, which is Jesus Christ, the only name which shall be given under heaven, whereby salvation shall come unto the children of men, ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, asking all things in his name, and whatsoever ye shall ask, it shall be given you.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Jeremy wrote:
inho wrote:
Im not sure.
Silver wrote: The Book of Ether has your answer as to His premortal role.
freedomforall wrote: Ether 3:14
14 Behold, I am he who was prepared from the foundation of the world to redeem my people. Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son. In me shall all mankind have life, and that eternally, even they who shall believe on my name; and they shall become my sons and my daughters.
I think this is the best passage, since it is not just a prophecy speaking about future events, but here premortal Jesus himself uses the title Christ.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

inho wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
inho wrote:
Im not sure.
Silver wrote: The Book of Ether has your answer as to His premortal role.
freedomforall wrote: Ether 3:14
I think this is the best passage, since it is not just a prophecy speaking about future events, but here premortal Jesus himself uses the title Christ.
Jesus Christ/Jehovah is the one and same person, yet Jehovah in Spirit is the Father and Jesus in the flesh is the Son.........per Mosiah 15:1-5

When Philip asked Jesus to show the Father, John 14:8, Jesus replied,

John 14:9
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

As the Only Begotten, Jesus/Jehovah is the Son of The Supreme God, Elohim, being the First Born in Spirit.

Jehovah is our creator. This is one of many reasons why he is called Father. One other is that he, as Jesus Christ, was conceived by the power of the Holy Ghost.

36 Behold, the Lord hath created the earth (footstool) that it should be inhabited; and he hath created his children that they should possess it.
37 And he raiseth up a righteous nation, and destroyeth the nations of the wicked.
38 And he leadeth away the righteous into precious lands, and the wicked he destroyeth, and curseth the land unto them for their sakes.
39 He ruleth high in the heavens, for it is his throne, and this earth is his footstool.