Which is more important to the Latter-day Saints - Scripture or Prophets?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
LdsMarco
captain of 100

Which is more important to the Latter-day Saints - Scripture or Prophets?

Post by LdsMarco »

We are admonished to “seek out of the best books words of wisdom” (D&C 88:118). Surely these books must include the scriptures. Alongside them must be the words of the Presidents of the Church. The Lord said of the President of the Church, “His word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth” (D&C 21:5). These books make up what has been referred to as “the Lord’s library”—namely the standard works and the various volumes that contain the words of the different Presidents of the Church. Of the latter volumes, that which would be of greatest importance to you would be the words of the current President of the Church, for his words are directed to our day and our needs. (Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p.137-138)

So the question is - if you would have to choose which is MORE important - would it be the scriptures or our living prophets?

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Re: Which is more important to the Latter-day Saints - Scripture or Prophets?

Post by simpleton »

The actual truth from either source ... the living prophets and the scriptures ( by the dead ones) should all correlate with each other.

Part of Isaiah chapter 8:

And I will wait upon the LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.
18 Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.
19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?
20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

That last verse 20 "to the law and to the testimony, if they speak not according to this word"....
So what does Isaiah mean by that statement?